Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Has yelling at an umpire/ref ever worked?

Old 07-18-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Has yelling at an umpire/ref ever worked?

I'm in no way a sports fan, but I have been known to glance at a game while at the bar or when flipping channels.

I saw a moment yesterday where a close call was made during a baseball game, and the baseman who thought he'd gotten the runner out immediately went over and screamed in the umpire's face about it. It appeared that he was then ejected from the game himself.

I understand it might be as simple as emotions are high, but has it ever changed a call or done any good at all as far as the outcome of the game? Is it even possible to "change their minds?"

It would seem to me that, since no good will come of it, why even bother? Just seems silly. Great, you yelled at the guy. Now you're out of the game.

And then they show the replay...and the runner was safe.
Old 07-18-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Has yelling at an umpire/ref ever worked?

If you believe in the concept of make-up calls, then yes.

Also, as for "working," in a different context, in college basketball, it's commonplace for a coach to intentionally get T'd up in the hope of lighting a fire under his players.
Old 07-18-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Jays got a call overturned against the Tigers this year, but for the most part it never works and shouldn't.

Fans seem to love it, but it just seems so childish for men to be throwing tantrums out there.
Old 07-18-11, 11:05 AM

Sometimes managers will come out and ask the umpire if he can confer with the others and see if they got the call right. It rarely happens but when it does and they overturn the call you'll usually see the other manager fire out of the dugout and smart money says he's more than likely going to get ejected.

You don't really see players get the same courtesy though whether they yell, scream or ask politely so yeah it's pretty much pointless.
Old 07-18-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As Red Dog said, I think it can work in hockey, where the refs have so much discretion to call penalties---that one call won't be changed, but it might make the ref more hesitant to call something later in the game.

But in baseball, yeah, I would say it's pretty much pointless to argue against safe/out calls.
Old 07-18-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
The Jays got a call overturned against the Tigers this year, but for the most part it never works and shouldn't.

Fans seem to love it, but it just seems so childish for men to be throwing tantrums out there.
You clearly are passionless and if you don't show emotion it means you don't care
Old 07-18-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It may not affect the call in question, but it "could" affect future calls in the game.. good or bad.
Old 07-18-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, interesting. I guess I understand there is some psychology behind it, but it doesn't seem to be thought out that thoroughly. It just seems like they are mad.

I could understand shaking your head or throwing your glove down or whatever. Just frustrated and you have to do something...that's fine. But screaming in someone's face from 1 inch away and then getting thrown out seems like something an adult should have outgrown at some point.
Old 07-18-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Ok, interesting. I guess I understand there is some psychology behind it, but it doesn't seem to be thought out that thoroughly. It just seems like they are mad.

I could understand shaking your head or throwing your glove down or whatever. Just frustrated and you have to do something...that's fine. But screaming in someone's face from 1 inch away and then getting thrown out seems like something an adult should have outgrown at some point.
Depends... you may have to look as see, too, if there's history between that player and the ump. Also, there could have been a build up that day. The ump made a series of close calls and the player finally had it after biting his tongue the whole time?
Old 07-18-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are the reasons they do it, whether you think it is worth it or not is your own opinion.

1) Get an ump/ref to confer with the others and change the call. It has happened, but it is uncommon.

2) Make up calls. Make the ump/ref more likely to call in your favor next time, for ex. to highlight something the opposition is doing that's not getting called. Less likely to work in baseball, but I definitely think it works sometimes in basketball. Not sure about football.

3) Fire up your team. This sometimes seems to work.

4) Corollary to 3 maybe, but show your team that you protect them and stand up for them. For ex., if a bogus call happens, pissed off players may want to see their coach vehemently take their side. Similarly, managers sometimes argue so that their players don't, as the team stands a much better chance of winning with the manager tossed than it does with the starting first baseman tossed.

All in all, some of the arguing, especially in baseball, is silly. But it can occasionally have a positive effect.
Old 07-18-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that so many arguments happen in baseball games compared to other sports? Is it just that there are so many more games? I mean there are 30 teams that each play 162 games so there are almost 5,000 opportunites to throw a tantrum vs football where there are less than 500 total games played.

I just rarely see football players argue will the refs when it comes to pass interference, holding, late hit or whatever. Sure, they'll throw their hands up in the air and plead their case a bit but I RARELY see football players go completely apeshit and act like children like baseball players seem to do routinely.
Old 07-18-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think part of it is that it's a time issue. There's no clock in baseball. But if you're going to bitch about PI to a ref, you still have to get back to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball within the play clock or call a time out.
Old 07-18-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely can work in basketball. The Rasheed Wallace type, not really. But pointing out things that certain players are doing or whatever certainly can get the referee to pay attention more.
Old 07-18-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Works in basketball because the refs admittedly can't see anything so they rely on players sometimes. Baseball it seems the most useless because those umpires are the most stubborn sons of bitches in all of sports.
Old 07-18-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like there are more opportunities for calls in the "game of inches": tags, forces, catches, not to mention balls and strikes. Basketball has penalties, out of bounds, timer, but not much of a question whether the ball went in or not. Football has spots, end zone planes, downed knees, progress, catches, and penalties. Way oversimplifying, but that's how it strikes me.