Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football - Need A Draft Site

Old 07-15-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fantasy Football - Need A Draft Site

Need some suggestions. I run a keeper league and we're heading into our second season so this is the first time the keeper part of the league will actually come into play. For our startup season, we had a regular serpentine 1-8 8-1 1-8 draft. But for seasons 2 and onward our draft will be a standard NFL-style 1-8 1-8 1-8 draft.

Stupidly, I never researched online fantasy sites before now, and I can't find a non-pay site that supports a "straight-8" style draft.

Our owners are scattered around the country, so our only realistic way to do this is online. I don't mind doing the draft on one site then manually re-entering the results/rosters into our chosen site. I just don't want to have to pay for two different sites just to support our drafting style.

Does anyone have a site they can recommend?
Old 07-15-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Fantasy Football - Need A Draft Site

I thought on yahoo you can customize just about everything including whether or not you want a snake draft.
Old 07-15-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked through Yahoo's draft settings and IIRC the only online setting was serpentine with draft order randomly set 1 hour before the draft. (I can't check right now, I'm firewalled at work). I'd be happy if I'm wrong - can someone peek and check? We not only need straight-8, but the site needs to allow me to designate specifically which team gets which pick up front (no randomized order).

For our league, the draft order was set in stone at the end of the playoffs. The 4 non-playoff teams played in a tourney to decide the 1-4 picks - you had to WIN to get a better pick, thus preventing teams from tanking. The 5-6 picks went to the 2 playoff teams who lost their opening games - winner of the 3rd place game got the better pick. The 7-8 picks went to our two championship teams - loser got 7th, champ got 8th. I'm picking 7th.
Old 07-15-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know for a fact you can set the draft order ahead of time. I've done that before. The only thing I not sure is if you can do the 1-8 1-8 order that you want.

Once you sign up for a league on yahoo and all the players have joined, you can finalize team list. Then edit draft order and assign Keeper players. It's under commish tools.

The other option you can do is have an offline draft. Such as through facebook or email since everyone is not local for you. Then that way you then could assign all players to all the teams.
Old 07-15-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I thought about the offline option, but I've tried to draft that way with these cluckleheads before. We've needed to have started back in May to finish 16 rounds by September.

Will go back to Yahoo tonight at home and check the options out. I must've gotten Yahoo confused with ESPN or whatever other site I looked at.
Old 07-16-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious why you chose to go straight 1-8. It seems like people picking lower than about 4 will be at a distinct disadvantage while obviously the person with the number 1 pick will have a distinct advantage. In a snake draft, I really don't think anybody is at a huge advantage or disadvantage. Personally I like picking between 3 and 6 with a snake draft but have had good and bad drafts at pretty much every position.

My league has done snake drafts for as long as I've been playing but this year we're doing an auction for the first time. I think I'll be a fish out of water with that.
Old 07-16-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I assume he's doing 1-8, 1-8, etc because it's a keeper league. Presumably the worst teams in his league from last year are at the top. It's not uncommon, certainly for a league with a good number of keepers.

Snake drafts are for redraft leagues and for keeper leagues w/o many keepers allowed.

I'm in 2 leagues. One is a 0-3 man keeper league - we do serpentine for that. The one I run is a dynasty league (up to 8 keepers allowed) auction/cap style.

I use rtsports.com for mine. I think they have an online draft option, but I have never used it (do my drafts live) so I don't know if they let you customize it.