Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

15 years later.. Was MLB interleague play a good idea?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Is interleague play a good thing?
yep
58.70%
nope
41.30%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, interleague play has been around for 15 years now..

Whats your opinion.. Is it a good thing or bad?
Do you think its successful?
What should be changed?

Records
Old 06-17-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: 15 years later.. Was MLB interleague play a good idea?

It's always been a stupid idea.
Old 06-17-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't really care either way.
Old 06-17-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted no mainly because I don't like it. However you can't argue that it still brings in big attendance numbers every year.

I'd change two things. Less interleague games and only do it once every four years. Less games would mean just taking a lap around another division and changing which division you play each time. Plus two series against your rival (define that however you'd like), one home and one away. This would mean that the Mets and Yankees would play once every four years making that series that much bigger.

But like I said, interleague has been a big success for the MLB so logically speaking it doesn't make much sense to change anything.
Old 06-17-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a Baseball Purist (Hate the Wildcard, Hate the DH, Hate the All-Star Game determines Home Field for WS), but I actually like Interleague play. The problem is MLB does it all wrong!

You have to either get rid of the DH in the AL, or have it in both leagues. It is ridiculous to have games that count (including the WS) where each league is playing by different rules!

They should abolish the DH (I know its a pipe dream), and have each team has one interleague series against each team in the other league, while rotating home and away each year. (Like the NHL does). They will have to sacrifice the Mets/Yanks playing 6 times a year, but with a 162 game schedule, I like diversity of seeing different teams.

As a Phils fan, it is nice to see the Mariners (Felix Hernandez pitches Saturday) and A's (Supposedly the A's have some young arms) in the next week, as I rarely get to see those teams being in the AL and on the west coast.
Old 06-17-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't get all the dislike. As an NL guy I like the chance to see teams/players I don't normally watch and that's fun stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I like the Wild Card, too.

Plus it helped create "bragging rights" matchups that actually mattered in certain markets, and I think it's been great for fans.
Old 06-17-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never really cared for it. Sure it contains a few highly anticipated match-ups each season, but it's not worth it for the uneven schedule it creates. While St. Louis is playing Kansas City, Toronto and Baltimore this month, Milwaukee is taking on Tampa Bay, Boston and the Yankees.
Old 06-17-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if we keep it, and were to change something, I'd say just play division against division and dump the rivalry games.
Old 06-17-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Don't really care either way.
Need this option in the poll.
Old 06-17-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's fun to see different teams playing against each other. Maybe it takes a bit of shine away from the World Series, but most of these teams will never sniff the WS anyway so it's pretty moot.

I agree on the unfair schedule for teams that are fighting each other in the division, the desire for fewer IL games overall, and the forced rivalries (Padres-Mariners).
Old 06-17-11, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Never really cared for it. Sure it contains a few highly anticipated match-ups each season, but it's not worth it for the uneven schedule it creates. While St. Louis is playing Kansas City, Toronto and Baltimore this month, Milwaukee is taking on Tampa Bay, Boston and the Yankees.
yup
Old 06-17-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, more tweaks to it could be done (fairer schedules, normalized league rules). But overall it's certainly a good thing for me. Baseball has a ton of games (162) in it's regular season. It always seemed silly that it took so long to get around to using some of that schedule to play teams in the opposing league.
Old 06-17-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i like it because it gives me the opportunity to see, first-hand, another battle in the long, storied Twins/Giants rivalry
Old 06-17-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hate them so much. I'm glad Posey got hurt!
Old 06-17-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's better the old way. Plus the DH is beyond stupid.
Old 06-17-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
This. I wouldn't have a problem with it if there was some equity with the matchups. The problem is, you can't always tell who will be contending in a given season. The only way to make it fair is for every team in a division to play the same interleague schedule.
Old 06-17-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love interleague play just because it gives you a chance to see a lot of fun matchups...Yankees at Wrigley for example this weekend and plus it's a chance to see some of those pitchers from AL get to bat
Old 06-17-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like it, nice seeing teams play different teams every once in awhile.
Old 06-17-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It's always been a stupid idea.
This.
Old 06-17-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If people consider interleague play in baseball a bad idea, does that mean they would accept no matchups between teams from different conferences in football, basketball and hockey in regular season? Doing so would be pretty boring.
Old 06-17-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If people consider interleague play in baseball a bad idea, does that mean they would accept no matchups between teams from different conferences in football, basketball and hockey in regular season? Doing so would be pretty boring.
No. Part of the uniqueness of MLB for years was the fact that the other league (from the team/league you primarily followed) was somewhat of a mystery. Plus I think having different rules (DH) was cool. It made the All Star Game and World Series more special IMO. I don't follow MLB anymore, but do people even care about the ASG anymore? I remember it being a big bragging rights deal.

Also, age likely plays a role here. I grew up in the 70s/80s: post-merger NFL but distinct leagues in baseball. That's what I was used to. I will always say that the 80s were the golden era of baseball, at least for me. There damn sure was nothing boring about it. Then Bud comes along, changes everything, but doesn't make the changes that can actually help the game long-term.

Frankly, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing the NHL completely wall off the conferences, but then I'm relatively new (10 years or so) to following the NHL. And with Detroit in the West, it would never happen anyhow. They and the Blackhawks need to keep some ties to the original-6.

NBA - who cares, inter-conference, intra-conference, it's crap.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-17-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
As RedDog said, what makes MLB different from the other leagues is that is does EVERYTHING differently then them. Now I am a fan of interleague play, but if they got rid of it I wouldn't mind.

What Mr. Selig never understood about MLB is that the tradition and mythology sold the game just as much as the game did to the fans. No other sport has a record book that people care about, no other sport has teams and players that played 100 years ago that people care about. No other sport has stadium that fans will travel just to see 'The Green Monster' or 'The Ivy in Wrigley Field. No other sport had divisional races in the last month that were compelling to the point where you would follow them every day.

What Mr. Selig did is essentially made MLB into the NHL/NFL/NBA and still doesnt get it as he wants to keep expanding the playoffs as he said earlier in the year, "Well, the NBA and NHL play 4 playoff rounds, why cant we have more playoff rounds?"

What Mr. Selig doesn't understand is NOBODY cares about the NHL/NBA regular season because it is almost meaningless, and the MLB regular season means just as much on game 1 as it does on game 162, so essentially you have a 6 month playoff to determine who are the top teams to compete for the World Series.

Sorry to get off topic, but some fans scoff at purists like myself, but I look at the overall ratings for MLB since Selig took over, and they are about half the audience it was in the 1980's. Sometimes change for change sake isn't the best thing.
Old 06-17-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mentioned this in another thread...

I'd like to see a full interleague schedule where each team plays every team in at least one home and away series (either go full DH or no DH). The Cubs play about 90 of their games against just 5 teams. To me, it's ridiculous to have 30 teams and not have them play each other every year. I know the purists would freak, put times change and I think it's time for baseball to step out of the stone age.
Old 06-17-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys View Post
The Cubs play about 90 of their games against just 5 teams. To me, it's ridiculous to have 30 teams and not have them play each other every year. .
The counter argument to that is that winning the division is much more important then any other sport, so the schedule should be heavily weighted towards division opponents.

As I have said many times, many people just don't understand that the regular season in MLB is one six month playoff round. So the Cubs are playing 90 games against divisional opponents is the like the preliminary round of the playoffs. In other sports you see teams and players going through the motions before the playoffs start (NHL and NBA), but Baseball games are meaningful from game 1 to 162 for any team in the hunt.

I understand what you're saying that more interleague play brings alittle variety to the sport, but winning the division is essential in MLB, so the right thing to do is battle it out with your division opponents for atleast 50% of your schedule.
Old 06-17-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the ideas being bandied about is two 15-team leagues replacing the current AL/NL plus division into smaller regional divisions. In short, the top five teams in each league gets into the playoffs.

Also, each team gets to play every other team in the other league in interleague play--a total of 45 games out of (maybe!) 162.

Yes, it's a very radical idea and it may be flawed in some ways, but it's certainly worth considering.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.