Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Old 06-20-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

What's the thinking behind voting to see an arm wrestling match between Kane and Henry? Is it because even though those contests have always been godawful, at least it's over with fast?
Old 06-20-11, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
You didn't like Hogan when you were young? I'm curious, who was your guy back then? Flair?

And honestly, while Cena has similar matches, that really is no different from Hogan, Goldberg, and Triple H (for the most part) to name but a few, and I would argue that most WWE wrestlers these days have a routine match they go through, that is only freshened up here and there.

I'm ok with routine. My problem with Cena, whom I don't mind as much as most (even though I'm going to boo his ass tonight -- just for fun =P), is that his wrestling looks so bad. I'm cool with him wrestling a safe style. I think that makes sense. He just looks so stiff and robotic all of the time.
I was always a WWF fan growing up so I never really got into Flair. I used to like Ricky Steamboat, Macho Man, Bret Hart, Tito Santana, and Ted Dibiase (No clue why).

I know even Bret Hart had his collection of signature moves but what made old school Hogan and current Cena frustrating is the total predictability of what's coming. You knew Hogan was going to hulk up and get the win just as you know Cena is going to do his thing and get the win.

I for one think Cena and Orton would be far more relatable as characters if they occasionally lost a clean match. I remember watching Wrestlemania VI and being shocked after Hogan hulked up and lost to the Warrior. I had friends who were balling when that happened. But I think in the end it made them love Hogan even more and made his next win seem sweeter.

This show tonight was mostly 3 of the same hours of Raw we've seen before. You have a chance with the audience selection gimmick to really give the the people something different and maybe discover some new feuds you never knew you had and give some people a chance to shine who you haven't to this point but we get arm wrestling and dance-offs.

The WWE at this point is tired and lazy. Nobody is pushing them from behind to do anything different so we get the same stuff over and over again. As long as the fans spend money to come, buy the Cena shirt, and go home happy after the 5 knuckle shuffle Vince is satisfied.

I can't wait for ROH to start airing weekly and giving me something different to look at.
Old 06-20-11, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by TehOH1 View Post
Punk making snow angels and this Miz/Christian/Truth segment are the only things good about this show tonight.

And how can Teddy Long make matches on Raw? Vince needs to put him on probation again.
Totally agree. Punk's segment to start the show was outstanding. I just can't get over how someone who is so effortlessly good on the mic and in the ring has be so horribly underused.
Old 06-21-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

According to Punk's latest tweets, he's gone as of July 17.
Old 06-21-11, 05:14 AM

The thing with Punk sounds like a leverage thing to me. He says wwe would fuck up having him and Austin and they had a great promo. Now hes saying that he will walk with the title. I think its more of a way of saying put the title on me or I leave. I really don't see him going anywhere especially by making that announcement. Nevertheless Punk is great and I hope they don't have him job in his hometown like always.
Old 06-21-11, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is wishfull thinking, but how long has it been since the WWE title had a complete redesign?
Old 06-21-11, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For as dry as Raw can come off on TV sometimes, it's really fun to be there. The show was long, but I never felt like the time dragged or anything. Not a bad way to spend a few bucks, as the night was great.

The highlight of the night, for sure, was Rey v Punk v Del Rio. The crowd was really into CM Punk, and while we booed him when we were supposed to, those boos quickly turned into cheers when he was doing his thing. I felt bad for the Cena and Orton fans, since they didn't say anything all night. People went ape-shit for them both, and we were sitting next to this adorable little girl who was getting down when Cena's music hit. When you see how kids react to Cena in person, it's pretty obvious why the guy is where he's at. I still booed his ass like mad though (just because all that chanting stuff is fun as hell). I'll probably make it a habit to go to Raw's from now on when they come around this way.

The downer of the night, which was minor, was we were sitting in front of this miserable fuck who just could not have fun. I get now liking WWE. I get not liking WWE, but still watching. I get not liking WWE, but still watching, and participating on forums (like this) to air your frustrations. All of that seems normal. What isn't normal, is to come to a show, bring your ECW sign (cause you're so cool), and talk about how awful the show is. How (whomever) does the same moves every week, be a total dick to your wife/gf because you're testy, and try to convince the people sitting next to you (not us) that this isn't real wrestling. When the group of teenagers behind us were cheering for Cena, this guy was showing them his ECW sign, pointing to it like "Yeah, you don't know about this!". Fuck off, dude.
Old 06-21-11, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

The ECW stuff is so lame and played out. It would be like me bringing an NWA sign and talking about how good it was. Move on, it's dead. If you're good money go and enjoy yourself, for me that would be booing the hell out of most of the faces, but at least have fun.
Old 06-21-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Batista during his WWE days
Spoiler:

Batista after his WWE days.
Spoiler:
Old 06-21-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to be honest, Punk better stay and WWE better use him. Im not worried of him going to TNA because TNA and PUNK ended on really bad terms. Stranger things have happened but i doubt he goes.

WWE needs punk and they will throw money at him big time.. if not, he will be just like Jericho
Old 06-21-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Punk is just positioning himself. He's a smart cat. By going away, he gets to show how valuable he is, and since there really isn't the element of talent jumping promotions anymore, the next best thing is the returning star. He'll take a much needed break, come back whenever (I would guess before Mania), and get a better contract.
Old 06-21-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, I'm a total fucking hypocrite. I cannot stand the "WHAT?" chants on TV, but damn if my ass wasn't chanting "What?!?" as loud as anyone last night.
Old 06-21-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
to be honest, Punk better stay and WWE better use him. Im not worried of him going to TNA because TNA and PUNK ended on really bad terms. Stranger things have happened but i doubt he goes.

WWE needs punk and they will throw money at him big time.. if not, he will be just like Jericho
Speaking of, what happened to Jericho? I thought he was coming back?
Old 06-21-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know, them turning his contract into a story line leads me to believe he's already resigned and he's using his Twitter to further the story.

Does anybody really think Vince would put a guy in a PPV main event the day his contract is expiring?
Old 06-21-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Does anybody really think Vince would put a guy in a PPV main event the day his contract is expiring?
Lesnar/Goldberg at Wrestlemania was pretty close.
Old 06-21-11, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Lesnar/Goldberg at Wrestlemania was pretty close.
*cough* Jeff Hardy *cough*
Old 06-21-11, 02:52 PM

WWE acknowledges voting error for the evan bourne match.
http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/power-t...nical-problems
Old 06-21-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

WWE released the following statement on their Twitter page Tuesday:

"Technical errors occurred in some of the voting results during Raw: Power to the People. Check with WWE.com throughout the day for more."

A subsequent statement has since been released on WWE.com with the headline reading "Text Vote Screws Sin Cara."

"WWE apologizes to the WWE Universe, Raw's "Power to the People" voters, and especially Sin Cara and Evan Bourne. The match vote was skewed by a heavy backlog of votes from the Divas Title Match. More details on WWE.com throughout the day."
Old 06-21-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, because I'm supposed to believe 19% of the voters voted for Jack Swagger last night ....
Old 06-21-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

On his Twitter account, CM Punk wrote the following:
"I knew I was gone at the beginning of the year. I just woke up one day and I knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time. I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I knew I'd be history by July. Come say goodbye on July 17th. I promise to go out with a bang. Trust me. XxX"

Punk wrote a very similar blog when he was heading into his final announced ROH appearance, a bout where he was scheduled to challenge then-ROH champion Austin Aries. Some of the verbiage is actually the same. In that bout, Punk won the title and began a farewell speech, but then turned heel in the process and "took the belt hostage" for the summer, teasing he was going to deliver the belt to Vince McMahon. He would leave ROH several months later after losing the belt to James Gibson.

When Punk made his one return ROH appearance during a blizzard, by the way, he closed out that show by inviting the crowd out into the snow...to make snow angels.
Old 06-21-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I don't know, them turning his contract into a story line leads me to believe he's already resigned and he's using his Twitter to further the story.

But Vince did once book Jeff Jarrett in a match the day after his contract expired and had to pony up 200k or so to get him to show and drop the IC title.
Old 06-21-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well fairly simply Vince is not going to put the belt on Punk then. If he does put it on Punk it's because all of this was scripted this way. We've seen what Vince has done in the past to make sure nobody leaves the WWE with a world title.
Old 06-21-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Well fairly simply Vince is not going to put the belt on Punk then. If he does put it on Punk it's because all of this was scripted this way. We've seen what Vince has done in the past to make sure nobody leaves the WWE with a world title.
That's what I don't understand. if this isn't a work, wouldn't Vince be forcing Punk to stop tweeting this stuff or fire him? If true, it's basically giving away the end of this feud, not to mention that the comments have been pretty much making fun of the WWE product (deservedly so, but still). But instead, they put him in the main event?
Old 06-21-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post

Old 06-21-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd almost forgotten how annoying McMichael was.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.