Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Old 06-06-11, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

I was at a Raw show in Portland in May. They do still tape Superstars. I agree with 7:15-7:30. If nothing else it will give you a chance to hit the shops, eat, and take pictures. The lines at the shop were ridiculous when I was there. As a result I don't know about the pricing. I do know the programs were $15.

Definitely try to get there for Superstars. If its your first time at an event like it was for me, it helps to get you used to watching live wrestling. Plus when I went they had Santino against Zack Ryder and it was a good match for kids.

Regarding signs. I don't know where you were planning to sit. I was sitting on the floor with my back to the hard camera. They did not allow anyone in that section to have a sign. I'm guessing because they were worried about blocking the tv view. They confiscated everyone's signs. You would probably be fine anywhere else though.

One other thing to consider, if you are sitting near the entrance ramp, you may want to consider bringing something for your son's ears. It can get pretty loud when Rey/Kofi/Kane come out. I know it didn't feel great on my ears.

Its a lot of fun. Great job on taking your son. My dad wouldn't take me either.
Old 06-06-11, 03:09 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Kedrix.

He is turning 9 next month and this is the only birthday gift he is getting other than having a few friends over to play in the pool and eat cake. It's and early gift but hey I can't control the RAW schedule. Hopefully it will be a decent night of matches. I do know they will be announcing the Tough Enough winner live on the show so that's kinda cool.

He is doing his poster now. He is putting CM punk on one side and Rey on the other. Nothing major. Sign blockage is not an issue. We are in the first row of the first elevated section from floor so we should be good to go. And according to the seating chart we are at the end of the row as well (closest to the middle of the ring). Hopefully the tickets and the layout are right as these should be solid seats.

Appreciate the advise.

Thanks!

EDIT - Yep definitely prepared for the loudness as I have been in the past (think Monday Night Wars era) and I darn near walked away deaf as post.

Last edited by GCS; 06-06-11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What everyone has said is pretty spot on. For a youth shirt about $25 would be normal. Definitely be ready to watch the taped and dark matches before Raw because as someone already said it is a good way to get your son used to watching a live match before his favorites come out. Enjoy!
Old 06-06-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

--Juggalo Championship Wrestling announced they would be having a Roddy Piper vs. Terry Funk main event at the 2011 version of the Gathering of the Juggalos, which takes place on 8/11 to 8/14 at Cave-in-Rock, IL. It would only be the second time these two Hall of Famers would have met in a singles match, the first being in Toronto in 1983.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry
Old 06-06-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Terry Funk will be still wrestling ten years after all of us die. How the hell is Piper still wrestling? Usually whenever he shows up on TV he can barely move due to his hip problems.
Old 06-06-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Thanks Kedrix.

He is turning 9 next month and this is the only birthday gift he is getting other than having a few friends over to play in the pool and eat cake. It's and early gift but hey I can't control the RAW schedule. Hopefully it will be a decent night of matches.
Get there REAL early ... so you can sit through crap like this:

- As noted earlier in the week, a strange incident happened with Mark Henry after Tuesday's SmackDown tapings where he was sent out for a dark main event and waited for around 20 minutes while several theme songs hit but no opponent came out.

Word going around WWE is that the whole thing was a big rib on Henry to see how long he would stay in the ring before getting mad and storming off, which he did. Henry was actually told that he would be wrestling a dark main event against Sin Cara. He and Cara actually called spots for their match earlier in the evening.

Henry was sent to the ring and when he went to cut a promo to set up Cara's entrance, the mic was cut out. Henry finally stormed to the back and demanded to know what was going on. Vince McMahon's theme song was the last one played during the rib, which is fitting because the whole thing was Vince's personal joke on Henry.

Vince had already left the arena but according to a source, he directed the entire thing via cell phone. A source in WWE production adds that producer Kevin Dunn was in on the whole thing also, laughing as it was going on.

The impression left backstage among the other talents was that it was funny, but misplaced. The feeling was that it's one thing to pull a joke on one wrestler from another, but when WWE is doing the jokes it sends a bad message, especially when they are ribbing a veteran like Mark Henry. It was also pointed out how WWE shouldn't have pulled a joke on Henry at the fans expense who had to sit through it and were expecting a match.
Old 06-06-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I was expecting a Mark Henry match and it didn't happen I'd be happier.
Old 06-06-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
If I was expecting a Mark Henry match and it didn't happen I'd be happier.
Not if I had to look at him for 20 mins. His matches dont last longer than 5 ...
Old 06-06-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hahahaa at truth
Old 06-06-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Arguably, Andy needed the win more. If Luke isn't signed to a FCW contract as well, I would be very surprised. If he isn't, TNA will jump all over him. In the long run, I think Luke will do far better, but we'll see what happens.
Old 06-06-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dear God, Cena sucks on the mic
Old 06-06-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Cena might suck, but R-Truth is hilarious.
Old 06-06-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Cena might suck, but R-Truth is hilarious.
Cena is fine on the mic, but yeah R-Truth owned that segment up and down. I was laughing my ass off at that General Custer outfit (or whatever he was aiming for).
Old 06-06-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Cena is fine on the mic, but yeah R-Truth owned that segment up and down. I was laughing my ass off at that General Custer outfit (or whatever he was aiming for).
Fine, with his lame wink wink "arn't I funny" jokes?
Old 06-06-11, 09:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

R-Truth saves the lame Obama press conference skit.
Old 06-06-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BULLYING IS BAD! PLEASE DON'T BULLY!

*45 minutes later*

Austin beats up Michael Cole, a commentator, for absolutely no reason.
Old 06-06-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a horrible finish to the main event and then the show. Also, completely nonsensical.
Old 06-06-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
R-Truth saves the lame Obama press conference skit.
Exactly! I was ready to zip through that part on my DVR until I saw R. Truth involved.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one disappointed that Cena didn't get the Stone Cold Stunner at the end. Why doesn't someone suggest Cena hire the humor coach that Morrison just signed?

Also, was it just my cable company's feed, or did everyone else have quite a bit of video issues on tonight's Raw as well?
Old 06-06-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From PWTorch.com

Thanks to Torch correspondents Tyler Nichols, Jessica Mendoza, Michael Thomas, and Asdl.

The Miz appeared to suffer a leg injury during a post-Raw dark match after Raw went off the air Monday night in Richmond, Virginia.

During the bonus main event of WWE champion John Cena vs. The Miz, there was a spot where Cena threw Miz out of the ring and Miz landed wrong and awkwardly on his leg.

Correspondents have indicated Miz acted hurt to the extent that it appeared he may have broken his leg. Miz was carried away from ringside by paramedics after the apparent injury.

Cena showed concern as Miz was taken away and the match simply ended without an announced finish. Cena then thanked the fans for attending to conclude the taping.
Old 06-06-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brodus Clay has been cast in WWE Studios' No One Lives. The film will be directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (Midnight Meat Train) and is the first horror film for the studio since See No Evil, which starred Kane.

The plot of the film revolves around a gang who take a young couple hostage and take them to an abandoned house. When the girl is killed, the tables are turned and the gang finds themselves in the crosshairs. The film starts shooting next week in New Orleans.

Credit: PWInsider
Old 06-06-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks about Miz if true, but it could be beneficial to take some time off and come back as a monster face.

A PG horror film doesn't seem like a very good concept.
Old 06-06-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Brodus Clay has been cast in WWE Studios' No One Lives. The film will be directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (Midnight Meat Train) and is the first horror film for the studio since See No Evil, which starred Kane.

The plot of the film revolves around a gang who take a young couple hostage and take them to an abandoned house. When the girl is killed, the tables are turned and the gang finds themselves in the crosshairs. The film starts shooting next week in New Orleans.

Credit: PWInsider
Name sounded familiar so I looked it up on imdb. Turns out he directed Sky High which I thought was great.
Old 06-06-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Wecome to the WWE, you sonnnnnnnn of a bitch"

Austin still finds ways to crack me up.

It's amazing how much a heel turn can bring out the best out of somebody. As a face, R-Truth was as boring as watching paint dry. Since turning heel, he has been must see television every week.
Old 06-07-11, 12:21 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize Austin is retired and Cena is the active superstar, but having Michael Cole sell the Stunner about the same level he'd sell a punch from JR - just to position him for an Attitude Adjustment... pretty lame.
Old 06-07-11, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I realize Austin is retired and Cena is the active superstar, but having Michael Cole sell the Stunner about the same level he'd sell a punch from JR - just to position him for an Attitude Adjustment... pretty lame.
They always do that crap when they set up for 2 finishers in a row. It almost looked like Cole forgot that he was getting AA'ed because he kind of fell, then quickly stood up again.

Watch a DX match from the past couple of years. Every time HBK hits the superkick it's always to set up for a Pedigree. The wrestler simply acts dazed, and turns around to meet Triple H. If it were a singles match, he would have been knocked to the ground.

Austin was showing some ring rust, because Andy shook off that stunner within seconds to walk to the back, but not before shaking Austin's hand and grabbing a couple beers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.