WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Old 06-27-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling Thread: Capitol Punishment/ Slammiversary IX

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I have been a wrestling fan for far too long to believe any of this CM Punk leaving/suspended stuff is legit. He did however do an awesome job on the promo. Good stuff!
Same here, I was born in 1979, and started watching as a young child. The only promo I've ever seen like this one was Paul Heyman's shoot on Vince.

I just looked up the above video, watched a few seconds of it and realized (and other people commented on it as well) - Heyman wore a Stone Cold hat for that promo, and Punk wore a Stone Cold shirt tonight.

Coincidence??
Old 06-27-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bobert3 View Post
Wrestling lately has been very boring. Every now and again something happens that really gets my interest. CM Punk tonight did just that. I really want to find out what happens next. WWE did it's job tonight!
If it's a worked shoot they'll probably suspend him from the PPV, give us Cena v.s Orton for the 1000th time, or a terrible match with Little Jimmy, and have Punk with Nexus invade the WWE again. Not much credability if Punk sticks around after telling everyone he's leaving though.

The Nexus angle was great but they ruined it in outside of two weeks top.
Old 06-27-11, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, according to PWinsider the new #1 contender is Alberto del rio
Old 06-27-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve Austin:

@CMPunk just melted my 52 inch TV with a scorching hot promo...delivery, content, and attitude...one of the best promos I've ever seen.
http://twitter.com/#!/steveaustinBSR...57321123627008
Old 06-27-11, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
So he agrees that when Vince passes away the WWE will be run by morons...yep its a work.
Old 06-27-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Curse_7781 View Post
So he agrees that when Vince passes away the WWE will be run by morons...yep its a work.
It's a work, because I have the same size TV as Stone Cold.
Old 06-27-11, 11:41 PM

Now the WWE boss comments on it according to pwinsider.com:
“CM Punk was suspended indefinitely for his unprofessional conduct as soon as Raw went off the air.”

With his WWE contract expiring on July 17, one can only assume that this suspension effectively terminates CM Punk’s tenure with WWE
Still a work in my view
Old 06-27-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
No WWE copyright at the end either.
Instead of showing the copyright just before the fade to black, they had it at the top of the hour

(almost as if they knew in advance they wanted the end to appear sudden...)
Old 06-27-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Instead of showing the copyright just before the fade to black, they had it at the top of the hour

(almost as if they knew in advance they wanted the end to appear sudden...)
They usually show it at the end of the first and second hour, so the second one was left off.
Old 06-27-11, 11:53 PM

According to someone at twitter, CM Punk song is removed from itunes store, they really are going all out on this angle...or is it?
Old 06-27-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great work DthRdrX; thanks a ton!

What a scintillating promo! I know they can't do that too often, but if this is a work, it may be the best thing in ages, even better than Nexus, which was awesome. Hopefully they don't throw this momentum away. (And if it WASN'T a work, they'd better throw a shitload of money at Punk and keep him around. After all the attention he's generated, you can't let that get away.)
Old 06-27-11, 11:56 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

The spoilers for next week's RAW is up:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/p...10019268.shtml
Old 06-28-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler:
way to ruin that one!
Old 06-28-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all the more reassuring that this is looking like a total work, because it shows McMahon is willing to loosen up the structure a bit.
Old 06-28-11, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The spoilers for next week's RAW is up:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/p...10019268.shtml
I usually don't get excited about taped shows (see Smackdown and my complete disregard for it), but I'm pretty excited for next week's Raw. Even after reading the spoilers.
Old 06-28-11, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its no work....

Old 06-28-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

all i have to say is .... CM F'N PUNK.... RVD... see ya... he's the F'n show...His promo is what wrestling in my eyes should be... as real as possible.. it plays into our wrestling of being smart. CM Punk just said it like it is.

Unfortunately, this is no work. This is real and he is gone on the 17th. He isnt going to TNA but will be taking time off. Its unfortunate but Vince really shit the bed on this one...

But im going to play devils advocate here... if this is a work, this was dumb and reckless as a business person. Right now the industry isnt about us... its about the kids. I mean i work in Times Square and you will be surprised at how many Cena , Orton and Mysterio t Shirts these kids wear. Just not sure if the CM punk helps their bottom line of making money. Good tv, yes for us... but for the kids, not really...

i hope Punk stays!
Old 06-28-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I echo what most people are thinking right now. Fake, real, worked shoot, whatever, one of the 5 best promos I have ever seen and it was done by CM Punk. If he's gone, what a way to go out. People dream at their job of doing the same thing and Punk got to do it. If he stays it can only get more epic. Even my wife looked up from raiding on WoW(she keeps her headset one ear open to listen to Raw) and just stood there with her mouth dropped wide open. It was awesome, seriously great job.

On an unrelated note, it was great to see DDP last night. Boy looked good!
Old 06-28-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
all i have to say is .... CM F'N PUNK.... RVD... see ya... he's the F'n show...His promo is what wrestling in my eyes should be... as real as possible.. it plays into our wrestling of being smart. CM Punk just said it like it is.

Unfortunately, this is no work. This is real and he is gone on the 17th. He isnt going to TNA but will be taking time off. Its unfortunate but Vince really shit the bed on this one...

But im going to play devils advocate here... if this is a work, this was dumb and reckless as a business person. Right now the industry isnt about us... its about the kids. I mean i work in Times Square and you will be surprised at how many Cena , Orton and Mysterio t Shirts these kids wear. Just not sure if the CM punk helps their bottom line of making money. Good tv, yes for us... but for the kids, not really...

i hope Punk stays!
Really you think this is a shoot? At a live show where Vince is obviously in attendance you think he would let that speech run on for 5 minutes or whatever it was? On top of that it was a long over run so cutting it off far earlier then they did wouldn't have been an issue.

I think it's clear that Punk will never be a favorite of the kids that buy the shirts but he's a favorite of the old school crowd that actually purchases the tickets and watches it on TV.

No question in my mind that he wins the belt at the PPV and then "leaves" with it. They need a storyline to carry them through the Summer and with the WM thing already hanging over their heads this is their best shot at any mystery and excitement surrounding the belt for the next 9 or so months.
Old 06-28-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Really you think this is a shoot? At a live show where Vince is obviously in attendance you think he would let that speech run on for 5 minutes or whatever it was? On top of that it was a long over run so cutting it off far earlier then they did wouldn't have been an issue.

I think it's clear that Punk will never be a favorite of the kids that buy the shirts but he's a favorite of the old school crowd that actually purchases the tickets and watches it on TV.

No question in my mind that he wins the belt at the PPV and then "leaves" with it. They need a storyline to carry them through the Summer and with the WM thing already hanging over their heads this is their best shot at any mystery and excitement surrounding the belt for the next 9 or so months.
Vince has done dumber things but this is no work... this is straight shoot...
Old 06-28-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And am I the only one that's done another turn on Truth? Did they have him wearing a straight jacket last night? I think they've done their best to kill the massive amount of heat he had by taking the character too far in the crazy direction.

Now he's out of the world title picture in pretty quick fashion and will be stuck in a mid card feud with Morrison.
Old 06-28-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CM Punk made me quickly forget about R. Truth, which I wouldn't have thought possible two weeks ago.
Old 06-28-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
CM Punk made me quickly forget about R. Truth, which I wouldn't have thought possible two weeks ago.
Well there is a realness to Punk's "character" that they brought out in Truth that first week of the turn and maybe a couple of weeks after that that they've scrapped. Punk is straight out of the Attitude era and that's where Truth could have been as well but they took it too far into "character" territory.
Old 06-28-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I just watched this, Punk is great and it was a real good promo but it's a work and done to help sell the PPV. I'm sure there are shoot type comments and he may very well be done on the 17th but Punk isn't stupid and won't burn bridges.
Old 06-28-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I just watched this, Punk is great and it was a real good promo but it's a work and done to help sell the PPV. I'm sure there are shoot type comments and he may very well be done on the 17th but Punk isn't stupid and won't burn bridges.
Yeah. I came away last night thinking it was a potential shoot (or that Punk just went a little too far), but it's a work. The cool thing, though, is I don't feel silly having thought this was a shoot, because you're supposed to be able to get wrapped up in the stuff you're watching when you watch it. The fact that they made me think this might be a shoot is just a really great job by them to engage the more jaded wrestling fan. Now, I'm just curious if CM Punk is going away for a little while, or if he's settled his contract stuff and will roll right into Summerslam. Personally, I think he should go away for a little while, to build anticipation for when he comes back.

Also, I have to give props to Mark Henry. I still don't want to see him wrestling 15 minute matches, but that after match confrontation of Big Show was really good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.