Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Pick the "best" game in MLB history, DVD Talk style

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: What is the greatest game?
Game 6 1986 World Series Mets beat Red Sox
11.43%
Game 1 1988 World Series Dodgers beat A's
5.71%
Game 7 1991 World Series Twins beat Braves
28.57%
Game 7 1992 NLCS Braves beat Pirates
2.86%
Game 6 1993 World Series Blue Jays beat Phillies
11.43%
Game 7 2001 World Series Diamondbacks beat Yankees
8.57%
Game 7 2003 ALCS Yankees beat Red Sox
8.57%
Game 4 2004 ALCS Red Sox beat Yankees
8.57%
Game 4 2005 NLDS Astros beat Braves
2.86%
Not listed
11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, discussion started in this thread.

Vote for what you think is the greatest game in MLB history (as chosen by robogil, with one added in by me). If it's not listed, choose option 10 and tell us what is the greatest game.

Game 6 1986 World Series Mets beat Red Sox
Game 1 1988 World Series Dodgers beat A's
Game 7 1991 World Series Twins beat Braves
Game 7 1992 NLCS Braves beat Pirates
Game 6 1993 World Series Blue Jays beat Phillies
Game 7 2001 World Series Diamondbacks beat Yankees
Game 7 2003 ALCS Yankees beat Red Sox
Game 4 2004 ALCS Red Sox beat Yankees
Game 4 2005 NLDS Astros beat Braves
Old 05-25-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pick the "best" game in MLB history, DVD Talk style

Is this poll to celebrate the 25th anniversary of major league baseball?
Old 05-25-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
No this thread exists, because of this...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...est-games.html
Old 05-25-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes, I laughed at that too, but I didn't pick the games except one.

or, stated another way, that's the "DVD Talk style" portion of the poll.
Old 05-25-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going with the homer pick. Game 7 2003 ALCS Yankees vs. Red Sox...

Why?

The subjective reason: Well to start it was my freshmen year of college and I went to a school that was divided evenly between Red Sox and Yankee fans. So it was a fun treat to be enjoying that game with Red Sox fans at the peak of the this era of the rivalry.

The objective reasoning:

First, it was a crazy series. Back and forth the whole way. The brawl in Game 3. The tension throughout the series. Two of the most heated fan bases in sports. It had a great set up for game 7.

Game 7 was game started by two of the best pitchers in major league history. Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens. Rocket must not have been juiced up enough because he just didn't have it, meanwhile Pedro is on the other side throwing bullets. The only runs the Yankees can muster are two solo home runs. One of those solo home runs made the score 4-2 in the seventh and the crowd was starting to feel it now (Yankee Stadium in October, few places can compare to that atmosphere). Then David Wells gives up another run in the 8th and with Pedro pitching the Yankees seemed like toast.

Then the 3 run 8th inning happened. It was a bloop double by Jorge that tied the score.

Then after a few more scoreless the game heads to the 11th. Winner goes to the World Series. Then Aaron fucking Boone hits that 11th inning home run off Tim Wakefield and Yankee Stadium went nuts. So did the dorm room we were watching in.

Objectively the best single game ever? Probably not. But that was the most fun I've had watching a sports event ever. And that's all I care about.
Old 05-25-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-26-11, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Well to start it was my freshmen year of college .
So you're around 26 years old now? That means you have never really watched the Yankees during the dark days (the 1980's), when they didn't make the playoffs from 1982-1993.

I have a few friends who grew up in the 80's who were Yankees fans, and feel the (post-1994 strike) Yankee fans are spoiled in many ways because they are competitive every year and have had a financial advantage that wasn't as easy during the 1980's/early 90's (NO YES Network, Collusion by the owners, Steinbrenner banned from Baseball).

It is very interesting to talk to Yankee fans who grew up in the past 15 years who think the team should automatically compete for a World Series every year or the season is a bust. Steinbrenner was loved by this generation.

And then fans of the Yanks from the 1980's who HATED Steinbrenner during those years for hiring and firing a manager EVERY year from 1977-1990 Billy Martin was hired 5 times), as the team was a laughing stock with the worst record in the league in 1991. I remember the Sports Illustrated Cover that summer, "What happened to the Yankees?"
Old 05-26-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Phils/Reds last night.
Old 05-26-11, 08:18 AM

1975 World Series, Game 6.
Old 05-26-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

The best game in '86 wasn't even the World Series game which was decided on a series of blunders. It was G5 of the ALCS.
Old 05-26-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently great games only happen in the playoffs.

Braves/Mets. July 4-5, 1985.

Last edited by Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.; 05-26-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
So you're around 26 years old now? That means you have never really watched the Yankees during the dark days (the 1980's), when they didn't make the playoffs from 1982-1993.
I am 26 and I "grew up" a Yankee fan in that my dad became a big fan since moving this country and he kind of led me down the path of being a Yankee fan. He took me to my first game in 91 or 92, can't remember exactly. But no I don't remember a whole lot of pre-strike baseball, but what should I do? Not be a fan because the team happens to be the best over the last 16 years?
Old 05-26-11, 09:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I just learned this on Mr. Show

Couldn't be. 24 is the highest number.
Old 05-26-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk View Post
Apparently great games only happen in the playoffs.

Braves/Mets. July 4-5, 1985.
Great games happen all the time. But the greatest games are playoff games. Because when all is said and done, a regular season game is just one of 162. It may be entertaining as hell, but it doesn't mean a hell of a lot.
Old 05-26-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The best game in '86 wasn't even the World Series game which was decided on a series of blunders. It was G5 of the ALCS.
I would say game 6 of the NLCS was the best game of the 1986 playoffs. And it would have been on my list here, but I didn't pick the list.
Old 05-26-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I would say game 6 of the NLCS was the best game of the 1986 playoffs. And it would have been on my list here, but I didn't pick the list.
That was a terrific game too. I'd have that as #2 for '86. The '86 WS G6 is so overrated. People only remember the last few ABs, which were full of blunders. Plus if you didn't have the whole Boston 'curse' thing going, it would stand out even less. That may make for an exciting and historical finish, but not a great game.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-26-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The '86 WS G6 is so overrated. People only remember the last few ABs, which were full of blunders. Plus if you didn't have the whole Boston 'curse' thing going, it would stand out even less. That may make for an exciting and historical finish, but not a great game.
I understand what you're saying, but a great game to me doesn't necessarily mean 'great' as to how the game was played.

I am not a Mets or Sox fan, so I had no rooting interest in that game, but I have never forgotten that game whenever these types lists come up. I actually remember the exact part my sofa I was sitting when Buckner made that error, and my whole family was in shock that the Sox blew the game. There are only a handful of games that stick out to me as 'memorable' so thats the way I would make my list:

(In no specific order) I started watching Baseball in 1980, so I am only using games that I saw live.

-1980 NLCS Game 4 & 5

-1986 WS Game 6

-1986 NLCS Game 6

-1986 ALCS Game 5

-1988 WS Game 1

-1991 WS Game 6 & 7

-1992 NLCS Game 7

-1993 WS Game 4

-2003 ALCS Game 7

-2003 NLCS Game 6

-As you can see I didn't watch alot of games during the steroid era, as my love for the game waned after the Strike of 1994 and the ridiculous HR Races of 1998 and 2001.
Old 05-26-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

There's lots of games I've never forgotten. Again, that doesn't make them great. And to be honest, the only thing I remember about that game is the final half-inning because of the blunders and historical aspect of the Sox curse.
Old 05-26-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny thing is, I remember exactly where I was for game 6 of the 1986 NLCS, and for game 7 of the 1991 WS. Don't remember where I was for any other games. Which is why those two games are 1 and 2 for me. The 1986 game had way more meaning for me as a Mets fan, but nothing can top an 1-0, 10 inning World Series game 7, where the winning pitcher goes the distance.
Old 05-26-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

9/8/98 Cubs @ Cards. I remember exactly where I was watching that game.
Old 05-26-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's lots of games I've never forgotten. Again, that doesn't make them great. And to be honest, the only thing I remember about that game is the final half-inning because of the blunders and historical aspect of the Sox curse.
The fun of this list is talk about something we actually remember, as I'm sure if we all sat down and watched EVERY playoff game from the last 25 years, we would be able to talk about 1992 WS game 2, or 2002 WS game 3, etc.

The only frame of reference most of us has is the great moments that make you remember those games. So in a sense, these 'greatest games list' have alot to do with 'greatest moment or moments within the game.' And the more great moments, the more memorable the game is.

So, you have to keep this in context, and not get technical because I'm sure there are great games in every playoff series, but none of us are RainMan here and can recite them off the top our heads
Old 05-26-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

That's true but again, it's the curse that makes that game more memorable. Say the Angels play that game and commit those same blunders and blow that game, it doesn't make this list. So I very well am keeping things in context - it's the context of the curse that makes the game so memorable (much like with Cubs/Marlins G6 -- Bartman). But memorable doesn't equal great or best.
Old 05-26-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's true but again, it's the curse that makes that game more memorable. Say the Angels play that game and commit those same blunders and blow that game, it doesn't make this list. .
That's why I have Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS between the Angels and Sox This game had nothing to do with the Sox curse of 1918, as the Angels had a 3-1 lead in the series, and were one out away from going to their first WS along with Gene Mauch going to his first WS as he was coach way back in the early 60's. Donnie Moore throws the HR to Dave Henderson, the Sox come back and win the game and win the series. And then tragically Donnie Moore commits suicide in 1989 as many say he never got over that game (or that pitch), along with Gene Mauch never winning a pennant (as he was known as the coach of the 1964 Phils who blew a 6 game lead with 12 games togo in the season.) The narrative is just as interesting as the game was after all these years
Old 05-26-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Game 7 of 2001 WS. I was there, and it was magical.
Old 05-26-11, 12:30 PM
Banned

That was a terrific game too. I'd have that as #2 for '86. The '86 WS G6 is so overrated. People only remember the last few ABs, which were full of blunders. Plus if you didn't have the whole Boston 'curse' thing going, it would stand out even less. That may make for an exciting and historical finish, but not a great game.
Disagree with this. That 86 game is freaking classic game. It's obvious and natural that people are going to remember the last shot of a basketball game, the last few ab's, the last few possessions of a football game too but that doesn't take away from how great the rest of the game was. That 86 game had so much drama and storylines in it. You mention blunders, that is part of why the game is historic because those mistakes led to the result of that game and ultimately that series. Most great games and games in general are going to have blunders in them. What great game do you know that was blunder free. There aren't going to be very many. That is what makes sports so great is that none of them are perfectly played and the blunder fallout and result is what makes it great and memorable. The rest of that series wasn't great but that game and everything that went on with it makes it great. It was/is a great game and deserves to be ranked as one of the best games ever.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.