Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB Network's 20 greatest games

Old 05-08-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MLB Network's 20 greatest games

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/games_airdates/

Number 2 is tonight and then next week number one.
I might have moved up the Phils/Astros 1980 game up a few notches but everything lines up pretty good I think.

Any thoughts on number 1?
The Bobby Thompson home run game? Might be too old I'm not sure what their time frame is.

Perfect Game In the game in the world series?
I expect something Yankees.

Last edited by whotony; 05-08-11 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: MLB Network's 20 greatest games

I assume they are restricted to games that the broadcast tapes still remain. So Bobby Thompson is out. Have to assume '91 WS G7 is #2 and '75 WS G6 is #1.
Old 05-08-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point, I found a post somewhere that this is '62 and later.

Probably is the 75 series.
Old 05-08-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Not to sound like a homer or anything, but I thought for sure the 2001 WS Game 7 would be higher. I mean, it's not the most thrilling game, but the events surrounding the entire WS was pretty crazy.
Old 05-08-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched all of the top 20 games so far, and it is very well done. It was pretty interesting to see Bill Buckner on the panel that dissected Game 6 of the 1986 World Series where he makes the infamous error to end the game. He was very classy and I always thought it was unfair that he got that much blame for one play in his career.

The 1975 World Series game 6 will be #1, as the panel has to consist of Carlton Fisk, and maybe.....Pete Rose? Or is he allowed to even participate in something like this being banned from the game?
Old 05-08-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually kind of surprised the 91 Game 6 wasn't on the list. Game 7 was a classic for sure, but game 6 was an awesome game too. Puckett made that great catch against the wall in the 3rd and then hit the game winning homer in the 11th. And we'll see you tomorrow night.
Old 05-08-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The top two must be 1991 Game 7 & 1975 Game 6. And if I get a vote, they're 1-2 in that order.
Old 05-08-11, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Good point, I found a post somewhere that this is '62 and later.

Probably is the 75 series.
There is no doubt that is what it is.
Old 05-08-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 18 inning game between the Astros and Braves, 2005 NLDS should be there.
Old 05-09-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahhh #7 - I can watch that again and again.

I'm a little surprised at the Twins/Tigers game 163 from 2 years ago being included. I thought the previous year's game 163 with the pitching duel between Danks and Blackburn and Thome's lone HR being the difference as well as the great plays by Griffey and Anderson to keep it scoreless were a lot more dramatic than the Twins/Tigers game 163. But I'm not sure either of them should have been in a top 20 of all time.
Old 05-09-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

The funny thing is that I hardly watched '91 WS G7, and that was back when I was a die-hard baseball fan.

Reason: SNF was Skins/Giants when the Skins were 7-0 and Giants were the defending champs at 4-3; Skins had lost their previous 6 games to the G-Men so a huge game for them in their path to the title that year.
Old 05-09-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You watched a mid season football game over a world series game seven?
Old 05-09-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

You watched a mid season football game over a world series game seven?
I'm a die-hard Redskins fan....they were 7-0.....playing their nemesis and thorn in their side for years. Of course I watched that football game. Plus I watched the football game because there were a good number of Giants fans in my fraternity house. I remember a few people objected to what we had on in the tv lounge but the football fans won out. Also, since I was in Pa. for college, I didn't always get to see the Redskins games on TV, so I always took advantage when I got the opportunity.

I also watched the Redskins/Giants MNF game in '86 going up against Mets/Sox G7.

The fact is that from 1985 through 1992, the Redskins and Giants had some epic matchups and they played 4 or so primetime games in that span.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-09-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

I also watched the Redskins/Giants MNF game in '86 going up against Mets/Sox G7.
They actually talked about the ratings from that game how the World Series got 40 million viewers that night to 9 million who watched MNF. This goes to show how popular Football has become in our country in the past 25 years, because now Sunday or Monday Night Football creams the World Series when they are head to head.
Old 05-09-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I'm a little surprised at the Twins/Tigers game 163 from 2 years ago being included.
It's hard for me to think of this game as a classic. On the other hand, it's quite easy for me to think of Gerald Laird going 0-6 and leaving 10 men on base.
Old 05-09-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The 1975 World Series game 6 will be #1, as the panel has to consist of Carlton Fisk, and maybe.....Pete Rose? Or is he allowed to even participate in something like this being banned from the game?
They said it during the broadcast it will be Lynn and Bench.
didn't mention if anyone else will be on.
Old 05-09-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
It's hard for me to think of this game as a classic. On the other hand, it's quite easy for me to think of Gerald Laird going 0-6 and leaving 10 men on base.
I can see it as being ranked higher (yes, I'm biased), but I think in a few years it will be somewhat forgotten and off the list as well.
Old 05-14-11, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

Am I the only one who is flabbergasted by the #2 and, even more so, the #1 selection of the Greatest MLB Games of the last 50 Years? The #2 game was like watching paint dry. Boor-Ing. No offense. No lead changes. No Great Plays. The reasoning being that it was a pitching duel? Who cares?! Now, #1 is for a Game 6 win by a team that lost Game 7. How is that the Greatest Game? They didn't even win the Series?!!! Game 6 of the 1986 WS was just as great, if not greater. It had Great pitching, Great Offense, Great Plays, Lead Changes, the winning team overcame a 2 run deficit in the 10th inning to win the game AND they ended up winning the World Series. I am very upset by the MLB Network's last 2 choices. They did a really good job up until this point, but the last 2 choices are negligent.
Old 05-14-11, 04:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by robogil View Post
Am I the only one who is flabbergasted by the #2 and, even more so, the #1 selection of the Greatest MLB Games of the last 50 Years? The #2 game was like watching paint dry. Boor-Ing. No offense. No lead changes. No Great Plays. The reasoning being that it was a pitching duel? Who cares?!
I don't think you can even remotely call yourself a baseball fan if you can't appreciate a classic pitching duel.

While the individual plays weren't as great in '91 game 7 as they were in game 6 or most of the other games that series; the drama and tension and overall story make it number one in my biased book. I get shivers just thinking about it.

Then I cry when I realize that since 1991, I have endured almost 80 seasons of losing since then, counting my two markets (DC and Minnesota). If it wasn't for that brief period of Redskins and Twins greatness from '83 to '91, I'd be the most pathetic sports fan on the planet.
Old 05-14-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by robogil View Post
Am I the only one who is flabbergasted by the #2 and, even more so, the #1 selection of the Greatest MLB Games of the last 50 Years? The #2 game was like watching paint dry. Boor-Ing. No offense. No lead changes. No Great Plays. The reasoning being that it was a pitching duel? Who cares?! Now, #1 is for a Game 6 win by a team that lost Game 7. How is that the Greatest Game? They didn't even win the Series?!!! Game 6 of the 1986 WS was just as great, if not greater. It had Great pitching, Great Offense, Great Plays, Lead Changes, the winning team overcame a 2 run deficit in the 10th inning to win the game AND they ended up winning the World Series. I am very upset by the MLB Network's last 2 choices. They did a really good job up until this point, but the last 2 choices are negligent.
I have to ask were you around to watch these games live, because it definitely gives you a better context:

-Now I agree that Twins/Braves 1991 Game 7 shouldn't been #2 (still in the top 10), but I remember watching it on pins and needles the whole game, and for a game 7 to go extra innings is like an NHL game 7 going to OT.

-The Reds/RedSox game (which I did not see as I was only 3 years old) will always be considered the best game because that series sort of got baseball back on the map after the NFL started its ascension to being the #1 sport. I know Baseball ratings were down for about 10 years, and the 60's generation at the time started to think Baseball was slow and boring. I personally think it is a great game with the back and forth through the game, extra innings, and Fisk waving his HR fair is a classic moment.

-The Mets/RedSox game 6 to me is the #1 game I have ever seen. I remember watching it and it was a wild game. You thought the Mets were done, and the RedSox would finally break the curse. And then the RedSox imploded, and Buckners error is historic.

I think you have to understand that 'classic moments' elevate these games to 'greatest ever'. Gibsons HR in '88 makes it a classic game, but the overall game may not have been that great.
Old 05-14-11, 09:11 PM
Cool New Member

Trevor: You are obviously a biased Twins fan. As excited as you
were to win that series (as you should have been), I can name numerous games that were more exciting and "Greater" than that game - Game 6 from that same series being one of them. In order for a game to be Great (in my opinion) all facets of the game have to be present. In order for it be in the top 10, it would have to be played as part of a Championship Series or World Series AND it would have to involve the team that actually won that series. The pitching duel that went on in that game was legendary. But that is
just one facet of the game. I really can't say game 7 of the 1991 WS was even in the top 10 games of the last 50 years because it was so skewed towards pitching. There was nothing even remotely resembling offense in that game. McNabb: I have walked this earth for almost 42 years, so I was around for the 1975 WS (but I was only 6). I guess you could make a case for that series "saving" baseball as Bird and Magic "saved" basketball. I always feel that a particular player or a particular game saving any sport is mere hogwash, but I'm sure that the 1975 WS did assist in bringing back
some interest in baseball. The mere fact that the winner of game 6, lost the series is so detrimental, that it is almost ridiculous to call it the #1 Greatest Game in the last 50 years. As Joe Morgan is constantly quoted, "I don't understand what all the fuss is about. We beat them the next game". I am a S.F. Giant fan, so I can unbiasedly agree with you that Game 6 of the 1986 WS is the Greatest Game in the last 50 years. It had everything.
Old 05-15-11, 03:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I watched all of the top 20 games so far, and it is very well done. It was pretty interesting to see Bill Buckner on the panel that dissected Game 6 of the 1986 World Series where he makes the infamous error to end the game. He was very classy and I always thought it was unfair that he got that much blame for one play in his career.

Bill Buckner is white and so the media went all out on him.
Notice they gave Alex Gonzalez of the Cubs and Jose Lind of the Pirates off the hook? Liberal media? Yessss!
Old 05-15-11, 03:35 AM
Banned

They said it during the broadcast it will be Lynn and Bench.
didn't mention if anyone else will be on.
Rose is banned from baseball and can't be in anything MLB.
Old 05-15-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please don't even bother responding to him

EDIT: Never mind: that post was deleted

Last edited by davidh777; 05-16-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is actually pretty cool but I just have to hang my head in disgust when I see Sid Bream running around 3rd base on his way to home; the Pirates have not had a season over .500 since!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.