Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are the NHL Playoffs so more exciting than NBA Playoffs?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-27-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As you can tell comparing the DVDTalk threads for each playoff, the NHL has a big lead-so are people here losing interest in the NBA or is there is nothing to compare when you are talking Stanley Cup Playoffs? Almost every series is going 7 games plus you have OT and double OT games where it seems that most NBA playoff games are noozefests where the home team wins 90 percent of the time. Maybe its the one mistake by a hockey team that can cost its season where the NBA games are basically controlled by the refs and there bad calls and no calls(do they ever call traveling,double dribble,palming the ball or three second violation?).
I blame ESPN for me losing interest in the NBA. The LA Lakers Lovers Channel is nothing but NBA Overkill. Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd have orgasms when talking about the LA Lakers. I turned on ESPN this morning at 10am eastern and each of them ESPN,ESPN2,ESPNews and ESPNU were running stories on the Great LA Lakers after one of most exciting Stanley Cup games ever(Chi./Van.) game 7 in OT got a cold shoulder.
Old 04-27-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Why are the NHL Playoffs so more exciting than NBA Playoffs?

For me the hockey playoffs are just that much more exciting. In the NBA teams can be blown out more often and the games just aren't as fun.
Old 04-27-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped watching the NBA over a decade ago, but a few reasons, IMO

There is much more excitement in the early rounds. Time and time again lower seeds will win series.

There is one timeout per game.
Old 04-27-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First off, the sport is more exciting - there I said it.

You don't have the end of the game dominated by foul, free throws, time out, inbound, foul, free throws...etc.

Sudden death OT in game as fast as hockey is just exhilarating. So the suspense in the playoffs is even greater. As you said everything can turn on just one play.

I also think the bottom seeds in the NHL are much better than the bottom seeds in the NBA. I mean the Pacers didn't even have a winning record. No one expects the 8 seed win in the NBA. In the NHL they have a legitimate shot and can give the top seed a real run for their money.

And then there's the contact....I don't mean the slap fights and falling into each other NBA players have. These guys out on the ice can get railroaded into the boards or knocked on their ass in open ice.

So yeah, the NHL is better.
Old 04-27-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for espn - they've never liked hockey, even when they had the tv contract.

I don't care. Vs is getting better (already light years ahead of tbs for baseball) and the NHL network is good for news
Old 04-27-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hockey? This is America.
Old 04-27-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When was the last time an NBA 7th game(any series) went into OT? In the last 30 yrs how many NBA series went the full 7 games compared to the NHL over the same time frame? Whats the NBA home teams W-L record in the playoffs compared to the NHL over the last 30 yrs. Colin Cowherd the other day was explaining why basketball teams win so many home games. He said because the fans are so close to the action. LOL WTF does that have too do with anything unless they are shaking the basket when the visiting team shoots? The home team wins in the NBA all the time because the league likes the fans too go home happy.
Old 04-27-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because basketball is a boring, silly sport.
Old 04-27-11, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Colin Cowherd the other day was explaining why basketball teams win so many home games. He said because the fans are so close to the action. LOL WTF does that have too do with anything unless they are shaking the basket when the visiting team shoots? The home team wins in the NBA all the time because the league likes the fans too go home happy.
Your reasoning is just as dumb as his.
Old 04-27-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Well,ESPN has a hard-on for that silly boring sport.
Old 04-27-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Correct.

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Well,ESPN has a hard-on for that silly boring sport.
Fitting that a boring, silly network has a hardon for a boring, silly sport, no?
Old 04-28-11, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't follow Hockey very much, but there is really nothing better then a playoff game going into OT with the season on the line.
Old 04-28-11, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh boy, more dvd-4-life analysis

I don't care for hockey, so to me it's not more exciting. In fact, the first round this year in basketball has been one of the more exciting ones in recent memory, with a lot of close games in every series.

ESPN and other sports sites talk about the NBA more because well... it's more popular. I tend to notice more hardcore hockey fans then basketball, but there seems to be more casual interest in the NBA nationwide.
Old 04-28-11, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With most NHL hockey playoff broadcasts now in HD, you can certainly have a vastly better sense of what it's like in the arena when the game becomes intensely tight and close. I've seen a number of games on Versus HD and I can certainly understand why the Bruins and Canadiens hate each other....
Old 04-28-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love both the NHL and NBA, but they are two different animals:

The NHL playoffs are always exciting because there is more parity (upsets), and Sudden Death OT is the most exciting thing in sports. Plus, the players pick up their game with the physical play, blocking shots, etc, so they are playing with much more intensity then the regular season.

The NBA playoffs dont get exciting until you get into the later rounds. The first round is just boring, as there are hardly any upsets (although the Spurs may be eliminated.) But the NBA is all about the elite players, and until there is a great matchup: Heat vs Celts in the 2nd Round, or the Lakers vs Thunder in the Conference Finals, that is when it gets interesting.

So, I guess I have to say that I love the early rounds of the NHL because of the conference rivalries, and I love the later rounds of the NBA because of the elite players. Overall, the NHL is still more exciting then the NBA.
Old 04-28-11, 10:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
ESPN and other sports sites talk about the NBA more because well... it's more popular. I tend to notice more hardcore hockey fans then basketball, but there seems to be more casual interest in the NBA nationwide.
Very true. Most average Americans who don't follow sports could at least name a few active basketball players (LeBron, Kobe). How many could name a current NHL player? Heck, even Major League Soccer has David Beckham.
Old 04-28-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Very true. Most average Americans who don't follow sports could at least name a few active basketball players (LeBron, Kobe). How many could name a current NHL player? Heck, even Major League Soccer has David Beckham.
I would assume MOST people know about Ovi, and Crosby....
Old 04-28-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it. Maybe Crosby.
Old 04-28-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

The NBA is defintely more popular, but I have learned that ESPN does not focus too much on a sport (in a macro sense), but focuses more on the big names in most sprorts. Essentially they are sports station that is trying to cater to the casual fan, because they know all of us diehard sports fans will watch.

Think about it, when do they talk about Golf? When Tiger or Phil are in the hunt, other then that it is probably the last story on Sportscenter. What do they focus on with the NBA? Kobe/Lakers, Lebron/Heat, The Knicks, etc. What do they focus on with MLB? Yankees, RedSox, Yankees, RedSox, etc. As for the NHL, most of the time they show Crosby or Ovechkin highlights if were lucky.

The problem with the NHL is it just doesn't have that many stars that cross over to the casual fan, so ESPN kind of shoves the sport aside. The casual fan knows Tiger, Kobe, Jeter, ARod, Lebron, Brady, Manning, Favre, etc. Any casual fan would have no idea who Stamkos is, or Luongo, or Toews, or Corey Perry, and that is why the NHL always get put on the backburner.

The NHL is always going to have a problem of having a very large diehard fanbase, but a very small casual fanbase, so it wont get the exposure MLB, NBA, and NFL will.
Old 04-28-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The problem with the NHL is it just doesn't have that many stars that cross over to the casual fan, so ESPN kind of shoves the sport aside. The casual fan knows who Tiger, Kobe, Jeter, ARod, Lebron, Brady, Manning, Favre, etc. Any casual fan would have no idea who Stamkos is, or Luongo, or Toews, or Corey Perry, and that is why the NHL always get put on the backburner.
Which is ironic, given that way more NHL players are "lunch bucket" types who are more like the average fan than are NBA or NFL players. Or maybe that's why the casual fan doesn't know NHL players? Because they're too "normal"?

And I will pretty much forever stand by the idea that one main reason hockey isn't more popular with people is that it's too fast paced and hard to figure out.
Old 04-28-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Which is ironic, given that way more NHL players are "lunch bucket" types who are more like the average fan than are NBA or NFL players. Or maybe that's why the casual fan doesn't know NHL players? Because they're too "normal"?

I agree, none of these guys have any personality. Now I am not saying that in a disrespectful way, but there is a reason that Tim Duncan wasn't as popular as Kobe or Lebron despite winning 4 titles, or Pete Sampras wasn't as popular as John McEnroe despite winning twice as many majors. These guys were just normal guys who weren't flashy, and MOST hockey players are like that.

I always watch Flyers postgame show, and when they interview these guys by their locker, it is like watching paint dry! Richards and Carter are some of the most monotone guys when they do an intereview. Pronger is the only one with some personality, as they show him EVERY night on postgame just cause they know they'll get a funny quote.

I think the only guys in the past 20 years that have some personality in the NHL are Roenick and Brett Hull, as they were good on NBC or ABC for the finals a few years back.
Old 04-28-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course, the "average" personalities is one of the reasons I enjoy the NHL so much. I can relate with them. They aren't cocky and disrespectful. They don't expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter. And I imagine where a vast majority of them are from has a lot to do with that as well.
Old 04-28-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Grizz/Spurs game last night sort of sums up my feelings on the NBA excitement. That should have been an exciting ending, and there were moments, but I just can't stand the way close games end. Lose some timeouts, get rid of moving the ball up the court, do something, and I might start liking it more.
Old 04-28-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Lose some timeouts, .
Totally agree about the timeouts, it kills the flow of these games. Sadly, the NBA loves the end of the game timeouts as they can get more commercials since most fans wont turn the TV off at that point of the game.
Old 04-28-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't watch much basketball but it seems that the last 2 min of a game can last half an hour. Compare that to OT in hockey where you have no commercial breaks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.