Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH April Wrestling Thread: Wrestlemania XXVII/ Lockdown

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH April Wrestling Thread: Wrestlemania XXVII/ Lockdown

Old 04-04-11, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH April Wrestling Thread: Wrestlemania XXVII/ Lockdown

Havent watched them in a while, but I would suggest that HHH vs UT was better than both HBK vs UT matches. Tonite had two things going against it-a., you knew The H wasnt ending the streak because the streak had to at least get to the possibility of 20-0, and The H, as opposed to the middle of his career, is willing to put over for the better of the company and b., what was Shawn gonna do when he inevitably came down. Halfway through, with each guy throwing the kitchen sink at each other, I said out loud to the group I was in that HBK couldnt come down and ruin this now. I agree that the chairshot to the head was unnecessary and made a Rock/Mankind Royal Rumble/Beyond the Mat joke but fit the "go for broke" feel of the match. The HHH tombstone was chill enducing and the Devils Cross and The H fighting it for what seemed like 5 minutes before tapping was perfect (although any MMA fan would have been yelling at the screen "bullshit!"). I think they told the perfect story in the epilougue in after both wrestlers telling each other that they would either win or die trying, it was UT, the winner, who seemed "dead" (looked like they were checking his pulse at one point and the stretcher job to completely sell it). Next year has to be it for Taker. But after looking like total shit in his comback at Wrestlemania 20, he has helped steal the show 3 F'n years in a row. Hogan may have put WM on the map, Rock and Austin were the Attitude era, and HBK is called Mr Wrestlemania, but the UT is (and I hate to use his gimmick but its the best word to describe him after tonite) inhuman.

As for the "main event," gospel for Cena, even though it was Atlanta, was totally ?!? enducing. Us in my group didnt see America R/W/ and B for Cena.....the Cena colors on the tron and around the building and on his shirt looked more like the confederate flag.....way, way, way more inappropriate. I agree Miz's intro was cool. Sorry, peeps. Cena is never going to "turn." Merchandise and kids. Just gonna have to hate him as a face like you love to love the cool heels like Austin was and how RKO and The Miz are. Cena looked sick to me in the ring on his face and how he did his moves like he had been up throwing up all day. Weak double countout swerve first ending. Had been telling everyone that would listen that I expected and predicted the Wrestlemania 9 ending where Cena would win, then the Rock immediately challenging Cena for the belt and getting the belt and revenge. Instead, he makes the restart no DQ, and Rock Bottoms Cena and puts Miz over as champ. So now he had to go over Miz. K, I think. Take the belt from Miz and we can have a 3 way tomarrow nite on RAW. But no, he just destroys Miz and poses at the end.

Say what you want about The Miz, but HE IS THE CHAMPION. The Champion should always get the rub at the end of the show. Yes, Rock will be there tomarrow nite, and yes, the Rock will be in and out of the WWE and "probably" isnt truely go away. But I agree with you guys that this isnt good business to do this to your two top everyday talents.

One last obscure WM weekend note. Seen many reports over the weekend that Vince sent down the decree that the "product" was to no longer, under any circumstances be called "World Wrestling Entertainment" because WWE doesnt do "wrestling", they do "entertainment". The only showing of this on the PPV was when they mentioned the attendence figure. There were many rumors swirling today that suggesting that the name "Wrestlemania" would cease to exist after tonite and was very interested to see the announcement of next years location and was pleasantly surprised to see it is, for now, being advertised as "Wrestlemania XXVIII." I will not be surprised if next January, however, it becomes "Mania 28." It will be stupid, but, if they go that simple route (if they do it at all), it could be worse.

Overall, I give the night 3 stars out of 5. I expected worse, but we had a match of the year, and we got the King and JR back for half the show. I tip my cowboy hat....
Old 04-04-11, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MigusMaximus View Post
Cena looked sick to me in the ring on his face and how he did his moves like he had been up throwing up all day.
If that was planned to be part of the story of the match, it makes no sense whatsoever. The combination of the crowd having no one to cheer for and Cena moving in slow-motion just sucked the energy out of the match - inexcusable in a Wrestlemania main event.

Cody/Rey and Taker/HHH were my favorite matches of the night. Though I kind of hope Taker goes out on a high note and wraps out his career with 20-0 next year. And they've got to make that the last match of the night.
Old 04-04-11, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

I really never understood Vinces obsession with taking the wrestling out of WWE. We all know its wrestling. Maybe if Vince was a little more ceative with his "sports entertainment" and made it worthy of being entertained then it wouldnt be a big deal. He thinks he is on par with a high rated tv show or a big blockbuster movie when his entertainment is more on the level of a b grade movie.
Old 04-04-11, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Triple H v Undertaker was incredible. More thoughts later.
Old 04-04-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought HHH v Undertaker would suck...but i was wrong... it was awesome and way way better than i expected.
Old 04-04-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I wonder how much of the stuff with Taker was part of selling and how much was authentic. I would say given his age and history of problems that him being totally spent and unable to walk back up the ramp is very believable.

In terms of the ending, I was jokingly thinking that a fun ending to Mania would be to have Rock take out Cena, then have Austin run out and do the stunner on Miz. Mania could end with both of the icons of the Attitude era pouring beer all over the current stars layed out in the ring. Of course that couldn't happen because all it would do is convey the message "WWE's current product sucks in comparison to the stuff of this day." Given what happened last night, they might as well have done taken that route, because the same message definitely came through in the end.

But fear not! Whatever pile of crap the WWE makes this week, I am certain TNA will give us something to make it pale in comparison!
Old 04-04-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Taker/HHH was the best match of the night....Taker looks spent though....time for his yearly break before the next Wrestlemania....Not enough Rock promos backstage....the one with Austin was pretty sweet though. Cole/Lawler was boring. Hate seeing 3 title belts come to the ring and none be put on the line. (tag belts and inter.) Just such a waste. You need to freaking use these belts and have storylines and some buildup.
Old 04-04-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post

But fear not! Whatever pile of crap the WWE makes this week, I am certain TNA will give us something to make it pale in comparison!
this is what i was trying to say before.... TNA can never capitalize...
Old 04-04-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I think the reason might be that they are trying to ape WWE as opposed to being their own unique brand. One of the trademarks of WCW in its later years unfortunately. Problem is, that was when WCW was presenting an inferior version of something WWE did well. Now it's just taking something that's bad and making an even worse imitation. They need to realize they can present something more sports based than entertainment, and maybe that will draw some fans. If WWE continues their path of entertainment over ring action, then they could lose a sizable fan base. Not too large an amount, but sizable.
Old 04-04-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I think the reason might be that they are trying to ape WWE as opposed to being their own unique brand. One of the trademarks of WCW in its later years unfortunately. Problem is, that was when WCW was presenting an inferior version of something WWE did well. Now it's just taking something that's bad and making an even worse imitation. They need to realize they can present something more sports based than entertainment, and maybe that will draw some fans. If WWE continues their path of entertainment over ring action, then they could lose a sizable fan base. Not too large an amount, but sizable.
Great point. I used to love the commercials the then-NWA ran in the late 80's that said "This is the NWA....we wrestle." I also recall Jim Ross frequently pointing that out and taking veiled shots at the then-WWF.
Old 04-04-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way to go with that youth movement eh.

Move the best technical wrestler and 2 time world champ to a dark match and then they dont event get that so Khali can win a battle royale.

Spend 30+ minutes on a match with a fat heel commentator and a guy older then Hulk Hogan. I can't way for Coles Iron Man match against Hornswoggle at next Entertainamania.

Seriously way to take one for the team yet again HHH and whats best for the Product. What a shock The Dead Man can barely walk after being dominated for most of the match with the Boss's Son in Law. Imagine what Entertainamania could be like next yearif they put as much thought into HHH's elaborate ring intro as they do the rest of the card.

Way to bury your Royal Rumble Winner and also bury guy who for a good chunk of last year was your most hated heel(Barrett)

Thanks Vince even though the Atlanta crowd made it clear all night what they thought of all your TNAesque swerves and lack of decent wrestling on your biggest event of the year that last I checked is still called Wrestlemania I am sure you are smarter then everyone and know what they really wanted.

Seriously I am glad The Rock ,2 guys on the other side of 40 and a color commentator got put over so well. It was about time you buried the overwhelming majority of the full time roster and all your divas.
Old 04-04-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
Seriously way to take one for the team yet again HHH and whats best for the Product. What a shock The Dead Man can barely walk after being dominated for most of the match with the Boss's Son in Law. Imagine what Entertainamania could be like next yearif they put as much thought into HHH's elaborate ring intro as they do the rest of the card.
I agree with the rest of your comments, but I can't disagree more on this one. HHH has been portrayed as one of the best and most dangerous wrestlers for over a decade. Taker's last feud had him coming out on the losing end to Kane (getting beaten quite decisively at that). HHH dominated much of the match, but tapped out in the end. Seems a good finish to me.

Plus, if tearing down the house and being a part of the best match at Wrestlemania isn't doing what's best for the product, I don't know what is.
Old 04-04-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A reminder - there's 4+ hours of WWE tonight! Hall of Fame induction show first, followed by RAW (and the show after Wrestlemania is usually worth seeing), followed by the Tough Enough premiere. Too bad they're up against the NCAA BB title game (which I'll be watching live - which means I probably won't even be able to get to the WWE stuff until later in the week).

I'm curious what they'll do with TE. I really enjoyed the show in the first couple of seasons. But this year they're bringing in experienced indie wrestlers, instead of training guys from scrap. That sounds more like NXT than TE (and NXT degenerated into one of the worst shows WWE ever put on). Though the fact that Stone Cold's involved give me hope that WWE isn't going to shit on the show.
Old 04-04-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I agree with the rest of your comments, but I can't disagree more on this one. HHH has been portrayed as one of the best and most dangerous wrestlers for over a decade. Taker's last feud had him coming out on the losing end to Kane (getting beaten quite decisively at that). HHH dominated much of the match, but tapped out in the end. Seems a good finish to me.

Plus, if tearing down the house and being a part of the best match at Wrestlemania isn't doing what's best for the product, I don't know what is.
Anyone who was in the ring with Taker was gonna be part of a memorable match. It was a great match but it does nothing to advance the product . Any number of young guys would have put on an epic match with Taker and it would have put them over with wwe fans which they desperately need since you can pretty much hear crickets when 80% of the roster comes out.

Instead it was wasted on someone who has very few matches left in him.
Old 04-04-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone who was in the ring with Taker was gonna be part of a memorable match. It was a great match but it does nothing to advance the product . Any number of young guys would have put on an epic match with Taker and it would have put them over with wwe fans which they desperately need since you can pretty much hear crickets when 80% of the roster comes out.

I'm extremely happy with how the match turned out, and I thought it was clearly the best match of the night, well worth the money. I don't see it the same way you do, at all.
Old 04-04-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a great match but it does nothing to advance the product . Any number of young guys would have put on an epic match with Taker and it would have put them over with wwe fans which they desperately need since you can pretty much hear crickets when 80% of the roster comes out.

I get what you're trying to say, but I really think it's hard to side with you when you're playing arm chair GM for WWE for a match that will go down as one of the best ever.

Sometimes, we "smart" fans just nitpick things to death, and do't think I'm picking on you because we all do it. Sure, it could have been a younger guy, but they went with two WWE legends, and by doing so the match meant more. Wade Barrett could have done the same exact moves in the same exact way, but because he's still a newer talent, they wouldn't have meant as much. That isn't a condemnation of Wade, just a reality. And I could see if the match was a stinker, but it wasn't.

Instead of decrying WWE for not having someone else face Taker (I'm curious, did you feel the same way about both of the Michaels matches?), you should decry them for not using the younger talent better in the matches they were actually in -- namely The Corre match which was really boring. But you gotta feel how you feel.

I thought Mania was ok. Not great, but not horrible either. The show had the benefit of the spectacle of Mania sorrounding it, which made all of the matches, even the bad ones, seem more special. I thought Orton/Punk, Rey/Cody, and UT/HHH were the best matches. Edge/ADR was solid, and the Snooki match was harmless.

I was actually let down the most by two of the things I was looking forward to the most. Cole/Lawler just felt kind of bland to me. Austin was not very effective in his role. If anything, I think his presence hurt the match.

The Rock seemed kind of wack tonight too. His segments made this feel more like Raw, and not Mania. A big reason for this was he was on Raw too much leading to Mania, and did his physicality last week, so the peoples elbow didn't feel special here at all.

And Cena was really bad. I don't hate on the guy at all, but his actual wrestling just wasn't good, which was a shame. I still don't think Miz is "there" yet (even though he main-evented mania), but I think he's so close. I thought his "Awesome" blow-up thing looked tacky, but his pre-match video was really cool.
Old 04-04-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Two weeks ago the Miz dressed up like Rock and beat Cena down. A few reports online at the time stated that Cena was injured, possibly even getting a concussion, hence he might be limited until wrestlemania. After his performance last night, I'd believe he was working with a head injury if they came out and said it. He really seemed that out of it last night.

BTW, as much as I hate HHH, I have zero interest interest in seeing UT v.s. some unestablished star at Wrestlemania. That is what they have 10-11 other PPVs for every year. Personally I think we'll get Heel Cena v.s. UT next year.
Old 04-04-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with boredsilly as I had no real issue with HHH vs Undertaker. Think about it this way: they have built up the streak as something special almost mythical. A HOF like Shawn Michaels could not end it and he tried twice. If you bring in a younger guy, he better be over as hell and can work otherwise the two previous Michaels matches will dwarf whatever match that this younger wrestler can put on with Undertaker. I'm not sure there is anyone other than CM Punk that fits that description anyway and he was still in a feud with Randy Orton.

I liked how the match told the story of Triple H pulling out all the stops in order to end the streak to the point where he got noticably frustrated (ie shouting stay down). Then there's the Undertaker who absorbed an extreme amount of punishment just in order to keep the streak alive. Great booking/storytelling by both guys here. I'm going to guess that they didn't let "creative" plan this match, and they just planned it themselves. A different style of match than the two Michaels matches because of limitations by HHH and Undertaker but still very good.

As far as the main event goes, I think both guys were bad. The only thing I remember about the match is how slow and plodding it was. Even if you don't have the best workrate, the matches can still be smooth and watchable. This one put people to sleep. I do admit to laughing loudly when Cena botched that spot.
Old 04-04-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"TEAM BRING IT - I have a very special announcement tonight on RAW...The People's Champ to The People..."
Old 04-04-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing Raw is also going to be in Atlanta except at a smaller venue or with last night's scaled down to half the size. They seldom have them travel far for the show immediately following.

I would say that Taker's streak is too legendary now to have someone end it. They need to let him go to 20-0, then he needs to retire before he becomes a real dead man. I hope they don't bury Miz after last night's match by having him lose the title to someone tonight.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 04-04-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-04-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Austin & Rock will both be live on RAW tonight
Old 04-04-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Attitude Era 2.0 ?
Old 04-04-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Austin & Rock v. Cena & Miz

BOOK IT, VINCE-O!

Of course, that would be 'WCW Goldberg v. Hogan on Nitro instead of PPV' level stupidity there. But, Vince is long gone past senile by now anyways, so...it could happen.
Old 04-04-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I would say that Taker's streak is too legendary now to have someone end it.
And that's my problem with the whole thing. Everybody knows UT isn't going to lose so the only thing they can do is feed him a "legend" to give it the illusion that he might actually lose. So next year it has to be HHH again for anybody to care about the match. I think sometime around 14 in a row the streak got too big to manage much like the Goldberg streak.
Old 04-04-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
And that's my problem with the whole thing. Everybody knows UT isn't going to lose so the only thing they can do is feed him a "legend" to give it the illusion that he might actually lose. So next year it has to be HHH again for anybody to care about the match. I think sometime around 14 in a row the streak got too big to manage much like the Goldberg streak.
Thats it! Kevin Nash should beat UT next year!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.