Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Would you support a non-union league?
Yes, I would still support replacement players.
55.17%
No, I would not waste my time.
44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Would you support a non-union league?

Old 03-11-11, 06:43 PM
Banned

Would you support a non-union league?

With the NFL maybe shutting down for this season.
I thought about if people would support the NFL or MLB if they just busted up the union and started all over. In other words they leagues would have the 2nd best players on the field.
Old 03-11-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Would you support a non-union league?

I wouldn't want to watch a bunch of scabs. May as well go to a HS game
Old 03-11-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched it last time they used replacement players, I suppose I would again.
Old 03-11-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
I watched it last time they used replacement players, I suppose I would again.
So did I.
Old 03-11-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll answer if this thread is relevant in Sept. God -- I am so sick of this issue.
Old 03-11-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember watching the scab games in '87, and I stopped after the first week. It was a joke and wouldn't bother with it this time.

If the NFL misses a good chunk of their season because of this lockout, I really hope fans don't go back like they boycotted MLB in 1995. Now I honestly think fans will come back the week they start playing again, but the league is so cocky I wish the fans could teach them a lesson that they are just being greedy.
Old 03-12-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really care if it is a union or non-union league as long as I am seeing the best players. If I won't be seeing the best then I won't be watching.
Old 03-12-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the Vikings win it all, I'd consider it the real deal. Any other scenario and it would be a joke.
Old 03-12-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That would suck for fantasy: total guesswork on a league's worth of players.

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
If the Vikings win it all, I'd consider it the real deal. Any other scenario and it would be a joke.
Old 03-12-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the NFL loses even one week to this I'm done with them

bunch of overpaid babies
Old 03-13-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won't be watching scabs.

With the average career of a NFL player being 4 years and with the physical toll their bodies endure, of all the major sports, this is the one where a strong union is most needed.
Old 03-13-11, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I won't be watching scabs.

With the average career of a NFL player being 4 years and with the physical toll their bodies endure, of all the major sports, this is the one where a strong union is most needed.
I don't know what the union is asking, but the players should get the best healthcare even after retirement. But no profit sharing.
Old 03-13-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post

bunch of overpaid babies
Exactly. Greedy fucks.
Old 03-13-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're asking a Bengal fan if I would support a team with substandard players? Have you not been paying attention for the past 20 years?
Old 03-13-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love football. I do internet audio play by play for my old high school's team (and have done so for 10 years now), and I have season tickets for San Diego State's football games.

I supported the USFL and even the XFL (which got a lot better by week 4).

I will support the owners if they bring in non-union players. The current players are overpaid anyway.

What the current players SHOULD be going after is a better old age pension program and complete health care for retired players that had a minimum of 4 years in the league once they hit 55 (there are a lot of former players who are in bad shape who don't have health care coverage). If these were the players' goals then I would support them. But the current players are more interested in the now than the guys who put the league where it is.

I'm not thrilled that the owners haven't offered this stuff up, but the current players are way overpaid so I have a hard time taking their side.
Old 03-13-11, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I'd watch the games on TV, but I wouldn't purchase a special package for it, nor would I pay for tickets until the league evolved again.
Old 03-13-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I will support the owners if they bring in non-union players. The current players are overpaid anyway.

What the current players SHOULD be going after is a better old age pension program and complete health care for retired players that had a minimum of 4 years in the league once they hit 55 (there are a lot of former players who are in bad shape who don't have health care coverage). If these were the players' goals then I would support them. But the current players are more interested in the now than the guys who put the league where it is.

I'm not thrilled that the owners haven't offered this stuff up, but the current players are way overpaid so I have a hard time taking their side.
There's a certain amount of revenue that is going to be divided between the players and the owners. If it's not going to the players then it's going to the owners. Do you think the owners are more deserving of that extra money?
Old 03-13-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
There's a certain amount of revenue that is going to be divided between the players and the owners. If it's not going to the players then it's going to the owners. Do you think the owners are more deserving of that extra money?
Yes.

If I buy a business you damned well better know that I'm buying it so I can make more money, not the employees. I'll pay them fair wages, but any additional profit woud go to ME. The owner takes the risk financially. The owner creates the jobs. The employees keep the business going by doing the grunt work and get paid to do so.

No one can claim that NFL players are underpaid. They're OVERpaid.
Old 03-13-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd watch. Unions sucks.....though in this case the owners are screwing the fans.
Old 03-13-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I agree the the players are overpaid.. but since the $ is there anyhow I'd rather it go into the players pockets than the owners. That being said if they would just lower ticket prices and concessions, then maybe it would work itself out.

I would support a non union league.. I don't agree with unions anyhow and think they should have been abolished 50 years ago.
Old 03-13-11, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
While I agree the the players are overpaid.. but since the $ is there anyhow I'd rather it go into the players pockets than the owners. That being said if they would just lower ticket prices and concessions, then maybe it would work itself out.

I would support a non union league.. I don't agree with unions anyhow and think they should have been abolished 50 years ago.
With all do respect and wanting to insult anyone who thinks the way of I rather see the players get the money than the owners. When the players get the money ticket prices go up. When owners get the money the little guy can get the money like the parking attendent and so on. Any person who runs the buiz can be a greedy a-hole and keep the money or be a good owner and be fair with his money. Not every company in America is union run and the employees like it and of course some companies need unions because the owner is a a-hole.
Old 03-13-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post

bunch of overpaid babies
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Exactly. Greedy fucks.
I bet 12 kajillion dollars you are both lying.
Old 03-13-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes.

If I buy a business you damned well better know that I'm buying it so I can make more money, not the employees. I'll pay them fair wages, but any additional profit woud go to ME. The owner takes the risk financially. The owner creates the jobs. The employees keep the business going by doing the grunt work and get paid to do so.

No one can claim that NFL players are underpaid. They're OVERpaid.
It's a bit of a different business model than most industries. The players are the product, they're not just employees. The owners aren't taking much of a risk in the NFL, I'd argue the players are the ones making far bigger risks. There are no guaranteed contracts, incredible competitive pressure for the jobs, high injury potential, and short career lengths even when you can stay healthy.
Old 03-13-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
It's a bit of a different business model than most industries. The players are the product, they're not just employees. The owners aren't taking much of a risk in the NFL, I'd argue the players are the ones making far bigger risks. There are no guaranteed contracts, incredible competitive pressure for the jobs, high injury potential, and short career lengths even when you can stay healthy.
When the average player makes what it takes me 30 years to make I don't have any sympathy for them having short careers. They get paid a ton of money to do something I'd love to do for free. They're playing a game and getting paid a ridiculous sum of money to do it.

Unlike most unions the NFLPA had been very reasonable up until Gene Upshaw died. Now they're playing hardball - and like unions in a lot of industries they don't care about anything but how much money they can get for themselves. They aren't asking for better health care coverage and increased pensions for the former players who desperately need it. They're looking out for themselves. If not for the players from the 1950's through the 1970's these players would be working side jobs during the offseason like players used to.

The players act like they're doing the owners a favor by playing for them. They're damned lucky to be in a sport where they make millions.

If they de-certify the NFL as we know it is over. It becomes MLB and a bunch of bottom feeders with a handful of teams at the top that are in the playoffs every year. If that happens I'm just going to focus on college and high school football - where the players play because they love the game.
Old 03-13-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If that happens I'm just going to focus on college and high school football - where the players play because they love the game.
Or for scholarship money.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.