WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

Old 03-14-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Take a look at this crap. I'm about through with wrestling.

Spoiler:

Drew Carey is the latest member of the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame.

WWE is proud to announce the newest member of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame comedian and game show host Drew Carey. The WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony presented by THQs "WWE All Stars" will take place at the Phillips Arena on Saturday, April 2 and the one-hour TV special will air Monday, April 4 at 8/7c on USA Network.
jesus christ... that is bad... but even as bad as that is, its pretty bad that WWE can do this and still be leaps and bounds better than TNA
Old 03-14-11, 01:44 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is BS I bet we see a Drew Carey package tonight on Raw, meanwhile they never showed us the Bullet Bob Armstrong package. Vince is a total dick!
Old 03-14-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lockdown is here in Cincinnati next month...I'm half tempted to go, but geeeeez, I just don't know if I want to be seen at a TNA event.
Old 03-14-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler:

WWE is proud to announce the newest member of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame comedian and game show host Drew Carey. The WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony presented by THQs "WWE All Stars" will take place at the Phillips Arena on Saturday, April 2 and the one-hour TV special will air Monday, April 4 at 8/7c on USA Network.
Meh, I don't mind it. A mainstream celebrity is okay.
Old 03-14-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You guys should all know this Jeff Hardy thing is TNAs answer to Charlie Sheen.

Winning!!!!
Old 03-14-11, 04:38 PM
Banned

What does Drew Carey has to do anything with the WWE? It is a shame WWE has gone downhill, I am suprised that it did not fold yet...
Old 03-14-11, 05:04 PM

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingsSooners View Post
What does Drew Carey has to do anything with the WWE? It is a shame WWE has gone downhill, I am suprised that it did not fold yet...
Drew Carey was a participant in the Royal Rumble 2001.

The main event was the 2001 Royal Rumble. The first entrant was Jeff Hardy, followed by Bull Buchanan, a member of Right To Censor at the time. They were joined by Matt Hardy who entered at No. 3, both Hardys worked together in eliminating Buchanan as well as Faarooq who entered at No. 4. Jeff and Matt then battled each other, and it was during this time that Drew Carey arrived at No. 5, being the first celebrity entrant in Rumble history.

Earlier in the night, Carey was backstage looking to speak with Vince McMahon about how to put together a successful pay per view. After thinking Carey was trying to hit on his (storyline) mistress Trish Stratus, McMahon offered Carey a spot in the Rumble (in hopes of Carey getting pummeled) as a way to promote his upcoming Improv All Stars pay per view. Once Carey entered the ring, he stood aside, and watched as the Hardys eliminated each other. Kane then entered at No. 6. Carey tried to shake his hand as well as bribe him with cash, but Kane grabbed Carey by the throat and was about to chokeslam him when Raven entered the ring at No. 7 and attacked Kane with a Singapore cane. This gave Carey the opportunity to eliminate himself safely (by climbing over the top rope) and gave high-fives to the fans on his way to the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_%282001%29
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0EKej7x9ZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60Sw0HTxYzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-11, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Drew Carey was a participant in the Royal Rumble 2001.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0EKej7x9ZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60Sw0HTxYzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Only 1 match? That is retarded, I can understand if he has been with the WWE for a long time but being in 1 match does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame
Old 03-14-11, 05:16 PM

Just watched last night's main event here on the board (and Im shocked that this late in the afternoon Monday its still up and TNA hasnt taken it down due to copyright, although Im glad they havent). I must admit Im more concerned with Jeff's condition more than anything else. He was definitely "gone" (dont want to come right out and say stoned, but that's basically what Im getting at). The fact that this has happened for two PPV's in a calandar year, and he was booked in the main event for both, makes things more sad and appalling. I dont know much about substance addiction (my personal obsessiveness come in less self destructive forms). But I would suggest that the fact that Jeff seemingly has no regard for himself, his fellow competetors ("The Boys In The Back") and the company that is giving him a weekly check shows how far out of hand this is. There is a part of me, fair or no, that would suggest that the best thing that could happen for him would be to spend a little time in jail to "think things over."

As for TNA and the product we are seeing, there is no excuse. For this one second, lets say this is a work (which I dont believe, and there is no evidence to show it). Poor, poor taste. Lets say this was "legit." First, having done this once before, there is no way on God's green earth he should have been sent out there. There is no win. If he did fall and did hurt himself, there it is on live TV and videotape that can be held against the company of not putting their athletes well being first. Then take in to consideration that, in that state, you had no idea what he would do. Could have put Sting in danger. Could have put the fans in danger. Then you have Bishoff coming out to do an angle they had absolutely no chance of accomplishing. Makes leadership of the company as a whole more out of touch. They couldnt have handled this more wrong if they tried. Seems to me I recall a similar (in scope at least) situation where "Mr Hogan" (l love THAT, btw; I ignore TNA for the most part save Velvet Sky; have they been calling him that for awhile?) chose not to do the JOB, they had that "match" in the middle of the card, then put Sting vs Goldberg as the main event. I agree with the Somoa Joe suggestion. My initial thinking was put the title match in the middle of the card if this was the way it was gonna go, then put, like, the tag team title match or the X-Division title match at the end, two divisions that havent been FUBARed yet, and always put on good matches.
Old 03-14-11, 05:23 PM

Quick Drew Carey take.....

In my estimation, it seems that WWE has tried to put one outside "celebrity" in the Hall of Fame each year. My guess is its an attempt to get more mainstream media attention as futher hype for Wrestlemania and gets a few more PPV buys from impulse customers who dont want to miss "an event." As for it being Drew Carey, I do find it a little weak considering it was one appearance (I didnt get why he was in the Royal Rumble then at the time, and have less of a clue now). As for the idea that this means WWE needs "to close up shop?" Well, come up with another "celebrity" that would make any more sense to induct....
Old 03-14-11, 05:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MigusMaximus View Post
Well, come up with another "celebrity" that would make any more sense to induct....
Off the top of my head, Cyndi Lauper.
Old 03-14-11, 05:34 PM

(Shakes head affirmatively)
Old 03-14-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
Off the top of my head, Cyndi Lauper.
She was one of the ones that came to mind... is this the first celeb entry, or are there others? For instance:
Peter Rose
Mr. T
The Fridge

on the WCW side:
Karl Malone
Rodman
David Arquette

Granted, all of these are not exactly high profile these days, and some are best left forgotten, but isn't Arquette even on the writing staff or something like that?

edited to add: meant Pete Rose, not Canseco, of course.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-14-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To those bringing it up, Vince probably has zero desire to buy TNA anyway. The main reason he bought WCW was because it was dirt cheap AND he got the video library. Sure TNA would probably come cheap eventually, but Vince probably could care less if he got their footage or not.
Old 03-14-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
She was one of the ones that came to mind... is this the first celeb entry, or are there others? For instance:
Jose Canseco
Mr. T
The Fridge

on the WCW side:
Karl Malone
Rodman
David Arquette

Granted, all of these are not exactly high profile these days, and some are best left forgotten, but isn't Arquette even on the writing staff or something like that?
I have a lot of respect for Arquette. 99% of celebs do the wrestling thing as a 'quick cashgrab/sell my newest product'. Arquette actually loves wrestling and even he admited putting the belt on him was a bad idea.

Rodman, OTOH, no showed half of his scheduled events, got paid a million per appearance, and still got resigned to a new contract by WCW!
Old 03-14-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Jose Canseco
Mr. T
The Fridge

on the WCW side:
Karl Malone
Rodman
David Arquette

The Fridge is already in ... and the other celeb inductions are Pete Rose and Bob Uecker. Mr. T would be a good one. As would be Floyd Mayweather (who seems enough of an attention whore to be up for it).

I can't get worked about WWE's HoF. When they include one-shot celebrity appearances and wrestling jobbers like Koko B Ware, it's clear it's not meant to be taken seriously. Which is a shame, because it dilutes the value of honoring the "real" legends.
Old 03-14-11, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I have a lot of respect for Arquette. 99% of celebs do the wrestling thing as a 'quick cashgrab/sell my newest product'. Arquette actually loves wrestling and even he admited putting the belt on him was a bad idea.

Rodman, OTOH, no showed half of his scheduled events, got paid a million per appearance, and still got resigned to a new contract by WCW!
How does putting the belt on David was a bad idea since he loves wrestling?
Old 03-14-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the DIVA Title is going away at least.

Old 03-14-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I guess it is one of the reasons WCW found themselves out of business, you know, having a guy with less talent than the Red Rooster win the world title.
Old 03-14-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
The Fridge is already in ... and the other celeb inductions are Pete Rose and Bob Uecker. Mr. T would be a good one. As would be Floyd Mayweather (who seems enough of an attention whore to be up for it).

I can't get worked about WWE's HoF. When they include one-shot celebrity appearances and wrestling jobbers like Koko B Ware, it's clear it's not meant to be taken seriously. Which is a shame, because it dilutes the value of honoring the "real" legends.
I meant Pete Rose, not Canseco, of course...
Old 03-14-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this a serious question?
Old 03-14-11, 08:09 PM

Spoiler:

WWE is proud to announce the newest member of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame — comedian and game show host Drew Carey. The WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony presented by THQ’s "WWE All Stars" will take place at the Phillips Arena on Saturday, April 2 and the one-hour TV special will air Monday, April 4 at 8/7c on USA Network.
Well, it's about damn time!

Spoiler:
Old 03-14-11, 08:10 PM

at Michael Cole's announcing "box"
Old 03-14-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF at the dramatic music playing with Rock's statement to The Miz. Almost made the whole thing seem like a huge joke.

And Michael Cole in a glass box. LMAO.
Old 03-14-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
at Michael Cole's announcing "box"
I actually kinda like the entire concept of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.