Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

Old 03-01-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH March Wrestling Thread: Road to Wrestlemania/ Victory Road

I miss it as well. I know all of us run the risk of sounding like elderly people missing "the good old days", but it's just sad to think about how it used to be. I remember watching Raw and Nitro back in the Attitude Era, and then spending an entire week trying to wait for the following Monday to come around.

Ah, the good old days of being a teenager...
Old 03-01-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lawler is becoming my hero! Is it wrong that I started laughing when I saw that her name is Su Yung?
Old 03-01-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
Lawler is becoming my hero! Is it wrong that I started laughing when I saw that her name is Su Yung?
Could that (and her age, of course) be the only reason the King is dating her? Kind of like a double-feather in his cap? Or just stating the obvious?
Old 03-02-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nateman View Post
The Rock and Triple H showing what the WWE used to be. I really miss the Attitude Era. The Miz is the only guy that's keeping new WWE going. I can't wait until next week when Stone Cold comes back.
I agree about the Miz. He isn't the only thing I like about the current product, but he seems to be one of the few guys who has a really well defined character now. Him and Punk. I just wish I cared more about him when the bell rang, but I'm sure he's just going to keep getting better. Right now, I feel about him the same I felt about Jericho -- fun on the mike (I think Miz is better than Jericho already because he doesn't come off as corny), but not so awesome in the ring (WWE Jericho here, because in WCW Jericho was pretty awesome when he was working with the right sized guys.).

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I miss it as well. I know all of us run the risk of sounding like elderly people missing "the good old days", but it's just sad to think about how it used to be. I remember watching Raw and Nitro back in the Attitude Era, and then spending an entire week trying to wait for the following Monday to come around.

Ah, the good old days of being a teenager...
We do run that risk. You have to take into account that being younger fan into wrestling, even though I know you knew it was fake by then, it was able to be more magical to you probably. I don't know about you, but even when wrestling is great these days, I still can't help buy look at it differently as a 30 year old, than I did when I was 18.

All that said, what I loved about the Attitude era was how serious everything was taken at the top of the card. I don't miss the overt misogyny (that's still there, just not as heavy), the cussing, the anus jokes, or the beer. What I miss is that when guys were in a program that program was (more times than not) treated as if it was totally serious.

Sure, there was some jokey stuff, but by and large when it came down to it guys wanted to fight other guys to resolve some issue or to win a championship. That, more than anything, is something that feels like it's missing from today's product. Cena and Miz are fighting for the biggest prize in the company, on the biggest show of the year, and the title feels like a secondary prop to the angle.

That's actually why I'm enjoying King v Cole so much. Those guys are really selling that angle as if their feud means something to them. Not only that, but it has been built up slowly over a few months.
Old 03-02-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I agree. However, WWE seems to do things like this a lot lately. Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, even Punk not that long ago have been elevated and then pushed right back down the card. If Sheamus hangs in there, I'm sure he'll rise back up given time.
punk and miz both got huge pushes and then buried and they're back, so maybe its just some "vince test" so see who is able to float back up in the view of the fans.

they should pull the tag team belts from who ever has them now and then have a tournament where the each member of the team who ends up with the belts gets a million bucks. they could have all the current stars scrambling to get partners and have some great matches. Like if all of the sudden winning the tag belts was the most important thing in WWE. It could give the tag belts meaning again and a tournament system could go for weeks and then have the finals at a PPV.
Old 03-02-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
punk and miz both got huge pushes and then buried and they're back, so maybe its just some "vince test" so see who is able to float back up in the view of the fans.

they should pull the tag team belts from who ever has them now and then have a tournament where the each member of the team who ends up with the belts gets a million bucks. they could have all the current stars scrambling to get partners and have some great matches. Like if all of the sudden winning the tag belts was the most important thing in WWE. It could give the tag belts meaning again and a tournament system could go for weeks and then have the finals at a PPV.
Everyone that gets a big initial push gets buried for a bit to "show them their place" it's just that Sheamus has been getting buried for a while now.

I've been wanting a tag tournament for a while now to give some legitimacy back to the belts, but it's just not that important to them. How many legit tag teams are still there? I'd love for, say, Edge and Christian to win a tournament or the belts, if only for a little while. Ideally, it would be a tournament with a mix of established tag teams (or at least guys who once were in tag teams together) and what WWE loves, the odd pairing of superstars, except the tag teams would actually win legitimately due to team work, showing that you can't just shove two dominant guys together and make it work.
Old 03-02-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I'd love to see it happen, but unfortunately, it never will. The tag belts are totally non-essential in the eyes of Vince.
Old 03-02-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I'd love to see it happen, but unfortunately, it never will. The tag belts are totally non-essential in the eyes of Vince.
That's sad, especially when you look back to the days of the mid 80s when tag title matches were considered semi-main events. I remember it being a big deal when The British Bulldogs won it at WM 2, and how everyone wanted to see The Hart Foundation get their come uppance after winning them through questionable means with referee Danny Davis.
Old 03-02-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

The thing with the tag belts is that there are only 2 stables, the New Nexus and C.O.R.R.E. that could possibly hold them with any interest. Other than that... it's putting two singles superstars together. Who was the last team brought in as a tag team? The Hart Dynasty?
Old 03-02-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know why Adrian Adonis isn't in the WWE Hall of Fame? I'm watching an old AWA match of his, and remember watching him on AWA in Minnesota when I was a kid. He had success in the WWE, and I guess I'm not aware of any McMahon feuds that would keep him out.
Old 03-02-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do know that his gaining so much weight (almost to the point he looked like a sumo) is what pushed Vince to place him in the "Adorable" gimmick. Basically to have his less than flattering physique on full display.
Old 03-03-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bump for TNA's big night tonight, featuring the renewal of wedding vows of the Jarretts and the outcome of Hogan vs. Dixie. Who needs wrestling when you have this level of dramatic tension for the people? .............
Old 03-03-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^which is why i'm watching UFC on Verus tonight
Old 03-03-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Shark Boy has asked for and been granted his release from TNA Wrestling. Here is what he had to say about the release…

I have officially requested and been granted my release from TNA Wrestling. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at TNA for giving me the opportunity to perform in front of their audience since the very early days of the company. Thanks especially to the great TNA fans who have given me their support throughout the past eight years... Now on to the next chapter!
Old 03-03-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for Shark Boy. I met him at the first Slammiversary, and he was a class act. Totally unlike what we are seeing tonight. I hope Dixie isn't looking to win an Oscar with her "acting" this week.

OMG!!! Angelina!!!! ...........
Old 03-03-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So....the whole Angle/Jarrett feud ends with what is little more than a slapstick comedy sketch. Only in TNA.
Old 03-03-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, the feud ended? They're not going to stretch it out more?
Old 03-03-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a few of the things I'm amazed ever made it onto live TV

4 seperate segments involving non-talent on the mic and in action/brawling
Gunner & Murphy in a match
Rob Terry v Scott Steiner in a match (I'm surprised they didn't injure each other)
2 seperate wedding segments
EY & OJ in 2 segments
Jobbing your World Champion and giving up the belt for the second time in about 6 weeks
5 Hogan segments, 4 for Flair
About 30 minutes of wrestling
A guest commentator, who was clueless about the product yet still managed to give away the finish

This was the worst possible show they could have put on. My interest in the product in now in the negatives, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really sick of hearing Flair talk. I'll be tuning in during commercials of other shows from now on.
Old 03-04-11, 01:58 AM

I need to put my two cents in on Rock/Cena.

First, a little perspective. Im 37 and have been a fan since my early years (starting with World Class and The Rock and Wrestling Conncetion). I love all sports, loved boxing when it was still relevant, huge into UFC, havent missed WWE TV in Providnece since 1986...thinks the last thing in wrestling that was pure was ECW.....and wishes there were common sense in booking....although I will always watch because I always have, and dont have to pay for the PPV's because its a night out with the boys....which is important when you have a wife and a 3 year old.

I hate Supercena, but I dont mind John Cena. Always liked the Rock but hated that he just left to go do the movie thing. Hated even more when he became Duane "The Rock" Johnson, then just Duane Johnson. Remembered thinking Cena was right when I saw the newspaper articles about him dissing the Rock leaving wrestling behind even if I didnt like Cena's character. The last genuine promo I think Cena ever did was when he was announced as the first RAW pick in the WWE draft that year. Would be interested to see Cena heel, but can be a realist because of the merchandising. And respect that Cena has been adamant and consistant that he is there for the fans and WWE now and forever.

The Rock, a man that speaks in catchphrases, is really going to mock someone who communicates in a rap?!? At least Cena always mixes it up and you never know what he's gonna say next. Cena hurt The Rock's family? Im sorry, but Im sure Cena is not the reason The Rock and his wife got divorced and if the rest of his family cant handle the truth, that's their problem and they need thicker skin? The Rock is back for good and for the fans? Two weeks in and we're already doing promos from your living room? He's showing off his championship belts? Well, 500 bucks, the internet and a credit card and I can have that same set up, and who says that's really his house? The Rock went to Hollywood to trailblaze for people like Cena? Well, as much as I hate to admit it, Hogan was doing shitty movies long before the Rock was putting on a football uniform, much less wrestling boots, and Cena kept his acting under the WWE banner while "Duane" decided to be the next Vin Disel in Disney movies.

And would the Rock go into what amounted at the time to ECW's home arena as the babyface WWE Champion and put over RVD and ECW as WWE/ECW Champion?

I will admit that the Rock back makes Monday Night's more interesting. But Cena and the Rock arent gonna fight at Wrestlemania. Cena and The Miz are, and, like or hate the Miz, he has worked hard and paid his dues to get here, he is the WWE Champion, could be a huge part of the future of this sport if we are indeed losing HHH, Edge, Rey, and UT in the near future. How's about putting someone over that can do the sport some good into the future instead of playing the "He made fun of me and now he's gonna pay" card.

Ps, Rocky.....how many Make A Wishes have you granted?

Round 1 knockout!
Old 03-04-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, so in your opinion, the Rock was supposed to stay in wrestling and make the occasional WWE films movie (which is more prestigious than Vin Diesel Disney movies, I guess), but somehow he's a traitor because he found success outside of the ring, and then decided to use his own name (which is significant... how many movies has Terry Bollea done under that name)?

I don't begrudge you your respect for Cena; I also think he gets a bad rap especially with the internet crowd. I also don't believe the Rock should be belittling him, and hope that this is only to elevate Cena and the current roster in the end, since it makes no sense for a guest starring Rock to bury the current crop of wrestlers.

And again, how much loyalty should a wrestler really have to a company that has no problem using them up and discarding them whenever they deem it necessary? Wrestlers should have a finite life in the ring, and should thus set themselves up for something else in the future, same as "real" athletes. Sure, a few become announcers or managers or whatnot, but do we really enjoy seeing Flair and Hogan wrestling at their ages?
Old 03-04-11, 03:37 AM

I have to admit that Disney, for the sake of this argument, was an easy target. It is no secret that when Vince started dabbling with movies (starting with No Holds Barred in 1989), it was his intention to keep the talent as close to the vest as possible (I seem to recall Hogan trying to break free towards better material and McMahon having none of it). I will also grant that, for the most part, the movies put out under the WWE brand are rather weak (especially now with Cena's, The H's and The Big Show's recent endeavours being put out as a very limted release in theaters and then being on DVD at WalMart a week later. My argument isnt that The Rock didnt make the best decision for the career he chose nor do I really dislike all the movies he did make. What my argument IS that is what the Rock did and to suggest he didnt is hypocritical and juvinile. You cant have your cake and eat it too. 8 years is a very, very long time to not make even one appearance. As for the Flair and Hogan point, it is a very valid one. Im done with both of em. But if you ARE going to come back and your character IS going to stand for something, I have the right to call your character on the carpet for what you are standing for as a wrestling fan. And in this argument, Rocky is WRONG! Moreover, if Duane truely believes what he's cooking, Duane's more wrong than the Rock is.

Two last points-a., while The Rock hasnt shilled his new movie yet, I will call it an upset if I dont see a Fast 5 trailer some point during Wrestlemania, and he is definitely hawking the hell out of FB (although, for full disclosure, WWE uses FB too). B., as for the short/long term viability of this comeback for good, Wrestlemania 28 is in the Rock's backyard, Miami. Maybe by then we will actually be promoting a match and not make the ACTUAL CHAMPION the third most important story out of 3.
Old 03-04-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See, I could understand a feeling of betrayal if the Rock turned his back on wrestling. If, after his movie career took off, he denigrated the sport as just a stepping stone in his rise to popularity. But he didn't. And he came back not because he had to (at least, I'm not aware of any financial reason why he had to, and it's not like he's completely washed up) but seemingly because he wanted to. He's made a video or two for shows in the 8 year gap, but otherwise, like others have said that's what makes this so significant and exciting, and I believe he's going to put the current talent over.

If you're going to argue about the logic that goes into promos... well, I can't argue with you there, a lot of wrestling promos hardly stand up to any kind of close scrutiny. But a lot of what he said really resonated with those who are sick of Cena, so I can't say that was the wrong direction to go into.
Old 03-04-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I respect both above arguments, I too believe that Rock came back because he wanted to and let's face it, Mania is benefitting a lot more from Rock and Rock would from Mania.

In terms of TNA, I have now decided to quit tuning in as a wrestling fan and instead as one who likes to enjoy the site of a nice train wreck.
Old 03-04-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MigusMaximus View Post
I hate Supercena, but I dont mind John Cena. Always liked the Rock but hated that he just left to go do the movie thing. Hated even more when he became Duane "The Rock" Johnson, then just Duane Johnson. Remembered thinking Cena was right when I saw the newspaper articles about him dissing the Rock leaving wrestling behind even if I didnt like Cena's character.
I hated that he left too, but didn't hate him for doing it. I wanted him to stick around in the arena I loved him in, but at the same time realized that the opportunities he found were literally too good to pass up. Actually, I was happy for him when it seemed like he was a genuine cross over star. He might not be Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise, but when you can command a million or more to make a movie, you're doing something right. Good on him, and good on him for reverting back to his real name...cause it is his name afterall.

Ps, Rocky.....how many Make A Wishes have you granted?

Round 1 knockout!
I think it's great that Cena is so big with Make A Wish, but c'mon man. Pulling that into this argument makes you seem petty. We're talking about wrestling. Not why someone was divorced, or what charity work they do. But if you're interested, looks like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does do some good with his celebrity.
http://www.looktothestars.org/celebr...dwayne-johnson
Old 03-04-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

geez... this non on air argument between the rock and cena is 20x more entertaining than seeing Double J flaunt around a co workers ex wife...

WWE is set to clean house soon... some midcard guys will be shown the door soon... sucks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.