Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NFL-Too much media coverage?

Old 01-19-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NFL-Too much media coverage?

When does it get to the saturation point? Its Wednesday. There are no games till Sunday. The NFL should be back page news till Friday when its perfectly ok to preview the upcoming games. I can see coverage on Monday(s) to review Sundays action. Tuesday(s),Wednesday(s) and Thursday(s)should have minimum coverage. ESPN goes way overboard on coverage(does the NFL pay them too do so?).
Football games only last 35-40 minutes(if you cut out the huddles,timeouts,halftime,etc.). Too much of a good thing might not be a good thing. How bad will it get when they go to an 18-game schedule? TV ratings might be at their highest but there are plenty of empty seats at some games.
As the results so far in the playoffs have proven ,it seems like the regular season is becoming more and more meaningless. People were complaining that they would have to pay for meaningless exhibition games but the regular season is looking more and more like glorified exhibition games. Getting your foot in the door to make it into the playoffs is all that matters and finishing in first doesn't seem as important as it did in the past.
Old 01-19-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: NFL-Too much media coverage?

Let's look at the regular seasons:

MLB: 162 games
NBA: 82 games
NHL: 82 games
NFL: 16 games

The NFL is nowhere near the saturation point. Adding 2 (or even 4) more games won't diminish it. The TV ratings for the playoffs is incredible. Betting and fantasy football will keep the sport just as popular as ever.
Old 01-19-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
When does it get to the saturation point? Its Wednesday. There are no games till Sunday. The NFL should be back page news till Friday when its perfectly ok to preview the upcoming games. I can see coverage on Monday(s) to review Sundays action. Tuesday(s),Wednesday(s) and Thursday(s)should have minimum coverage. ESPN goes way overboard on coverage(does the NFL pay them too do so?).
Football games only last 35-40 minutes(if you cut out the huddles,timeouts,halftime,etc.). Too much of a good thing might not be a good thing. How bad will it get when they go to an 18-game schedule? TV ratings might be at their highest but there are plenty of empty seats at some games.
As the results so far in the playoffs have proven ,it seems like the regular season is becoming more and more meaningless. People were complaining that they would have to pay for meaningless exhibition games but the regular season is looking more and more like glorified exhibition games. Getting your foot in the door to make it into the playoffs is all that matters and finishing in first doesn't seem as important as it did in the past.
While I agree that the coverage can be overkill, I think one of the main contributing factors regarding empty seats is that teams are pricing themselves out of the market.
Old 01-19-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't need a 24 hour sports network, but we want it.
Old 01-19-11, 12:47 PM

NFL back page news? Ha! Not only is the NFL the most popular American sport by far, it's pretty much the most popular American thing period. Why wouldn't ESPN and everyone else cover it as much as they do? Everything NFL generates huge numbers, and I for one love every minute of it.
Old 01-19-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN could cover other sports(like the NHL) but they fail do too so because they are in bed with the NFL. What would happen if they gave the NFL the cold shoulder after the MNF schedule has been completed? I don't watch sports like I used too ,but each league has their own network for the diehard fans. There is no need for ESPN to go ga ga over the NFL when they can cover other sports.
Old 01-19-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They could cover Warhammer tournaments too, but why would they?
Old 01-19-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I wonder what the saturation point is of dvd-4-life's rants about the 18-game schedule and his random thought threads.
Old 01-19-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN could cover other sports(like the NHL) but they fail do too so because they are in bed with the NFL. What would happen if they gave the NFL the cold shoulder after the MNF schedule has been completed? I don't watch sports like I used too ,but each league has their own network for the diehard fans. There is no need for ESPN to go ga ga over the NFL when they can cover other sports.
Their need is to drive ratings. If their NHL coverage got the ratings that their NFL coverage did, then you would see a lot more about hockey.
Old 01-19-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone who doesn't care for the NBA or NHL, I'm soaking up all the NFL & NCAA coverage
Old 01-19-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Their need is to drive ratings. If their NHL coverage got the ratings that their NFL coverage did, then you would see a lot more about hockey.
And he'd be complaining about Hockey coverage.
Old 01-19-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ESPN over publicizes a lot of stuff, but the NFL makes sense.
Old 01-19-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I a big fan of all 4 major sports along with College Football and Basketball, but the NFL is the King among the masses right now, so ESPN is going to over-indulge the fans with what they feel is the most popular.

I think betting/fantasy football has ALOT to do with why the NFL is crushing every sport these days. What I mean is that you can put on ANY NFL game, and you will have the casual fan who gambles on that game or maybe has a fantasy player playing that night who will sit down and watch it. There are so many of my friends who will watch the Sunday night game that doesn't involve their favorite team, simply because they have Chris Johnson and the Titans are playing. Then I have other friends who do a football pool every week, and follow every game simply because they have something at stake.

Its just like March Madness and the Final 64 Brackets, and you have a bunch of casual fans who do their brackets and follow all the games. Take away the brackets, and most of them wouldn't care about March Madness, and most of them don't even tune in until March.

There are ALOT of diehard NFL fans who follow their team religously like myself, but you do have alot of casual fans who can enjoy the sport for fantasy football and gambling too, so that mix is going to give you a huge fanbase.
Old 01-19-11, 04:19 PM
Banned

What? Have you ever heard of "market research"?
Old 01-19-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no offense but the NFL could conduct a show about their players putting on their jock straps and people would watch

it's all about rating and the NFL is a ratings monster
Old 01-19-11, 05:36 PM

Ratings = $$$$. That's the bottom line. Why do you think they're even moving to an 18 game schedule in the first place, when none of the players even want it?
Old 01-19-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I don't think it's a ratings issue, it's an issue of what sports properties they're in bed with. They have no NHL ties, so they provide hardly any NHL coverage. Once the new TV deal for the NHL is negotiated, if ESPN gets back in on coverage. you'll see NHL 2Night come back and they will boost coverage on SportsCenter and the like. Additional coverage means more ratings, etc..
Old 01-19-11, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
I don't think it's a ratings issue, it's an issue of what sports properties they're in bed with. They have no NHL ties, so they provide hardly any NHL coverage. Once the new TV deal for the NHL is negotiated, if ESPN gets back in on coverage. you'll see NHL 2Night come back and they will boost coverage on SportsCenter and the like. Additional coverage means more ratings, etc..
Don't kid yourself. Hockey is barely a niche sport at this point. That isn't to say their fans aren't the most rabid. They may be but I wouldn't know because I don't know anyone that cares about hockey.

Didn't the Winter Classic, which is Hockey's premiere television event outside the Stanley Cup, tank in the ratings? I heard it got beat by WWE reruns. Yikes.
Old 01-19-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
Didn't the Winter Classic, which is Hockey's premiere television event outside the Stanley Cup, tank in the ratings? I heard it got beat by WWE reruns. Yikes.
You got it wrong. It was a success especially being aired in primetime. Although the numbers pale in comparison with the NFL and college football (4.5 million people), NBC which aired the game had a small increase in the numbers of people that watched the game from the year before and won the night in the 18-49 demographics.
Old 01-20-11, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
You got it wrong. It was a success especially being aired in primetime. Although the numbers pale in comparison with the NFL and college football (4.5 million people), NBC which aired the game had a small increase in the numbers of people that watched the game from the year before and won the night in the 18-49 demographics.
Just something I heard on local Twin Cities sports talk radio today. How'd it do in total numbers and not just in the "18-49 deomographic"?
Old 01-20-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a pretty dead period in sports so it's not like there's great stuff they're ignoring in favor of the NFL
Old 01-20-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
While I agree that were hockey to return to ESPN, it would increase highlight time on SC, I really doubt you'll see a return of NHL 2Night. ESPN has too much other stuff going on.

With the Comcast and NBC merger, now more than ever do I believe NBC and VS. will retain the NHL rights. And frankly, that's a good thing given 1) the way ESPN would treat it and 2) I don't want to see ESPN's college hoops coverage cut into.
Old 01-20-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
Don't kid yourself. Hockey is barely a niche sport at this point. That isn't to say their fans aren't the most rabid. They may be but I wouldn't know because I don't know anyone that cares about hockey.

You live in MN and don't know anyone that cares about hockey? Do you live in a cave?
Old 01-20-11, 08:32 AM

You should live where I live, where the college football team is on the front page of the sports section 365 days a year.
Old 01-20-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
You should live where I live, where the college football team is on the front page of the sports section 365 days a year.

I know what thats like here in Alabama... Last year Alabama... this year Auburn... and not caring for either, let me tell you it gets old listening to people bitch about the most inane things with football

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.