Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Comcast Sports Net?

Old 01-18-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Comcast Sports Net?

Is there any plans for expansion besides being located in 6 markets(NE,Philly,Wash. DC,Chi.,NW and Bay Area) ? Why isn't CSN Philly part of the RSN on Directv? Does San Diego have a regional sports channel?
Old 01-18-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Comcast Sports Net?

CSN isn't on any satellite system, are they? Comcast is a cable company and I know they were in litigation over their cable-only stance on the channels.

I had a guy trying to sell me DirecTV and he went through his whole spiel for 15 minutes and then said: "So, are there any reasons why you wouldn't switch to DirecTV?" I simply said "Yes, Comcast SportsNet. DirecTV would not allow me to watch the Phillies, Flyers, or Sixers." End of discussion.
Old 01-18-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

The CSNs besides Philly's are on satellite. The reason Philly's isn't is because of the terrestrial loophole and the fact that a former Senator from PA was in Comcrap's hip pocket. There's talk of the loophole ending, particularly with the Comcrap/NBC merger coming.
Old 01-18-11, 02:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

CSN-Chicago is on satellite, but Comcast only owns 20%. The Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, and Blackhawks each own 20% apiece as well.
Old 01-18-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The merger got approved today, with no requirements for anything to change with regards to CSN-Philly or any other station.
Old 01-18-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
The merger got approved today, with no requirements for anything to change with regards to CSN-Philly or any other station.
That depends on what this means (and as a lawyer, I couldn't even tell you):
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-304134A1.pdf

Ensuring Reasonable Access to Comcast-NBCU Programming for Multichannel Distribution. Building on successful requirements adopted in prior, similar transactions, the Commission is establishing for rival multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) an improved commercial arbitration process for resolving disputes about prices, terms, and conditions for licensing Comcast-NBCU’s video programming. The Commission is also requiring Comcast-NBCU to make available through this process its cable channels in addition to broadcast and regional sports network programming.
Old 01-18-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

i'm pretty sure that one of the stipulations of that deal was that Comcast would have to offer up it's channel to all providers, not just their own.
Old 01-18-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
CSN-Chicago is on satellite, but Comcast only owns 20%. The Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, and Blackhawks each own 20% apiece as well.
But they are conveniently holding back CSN in HD on ATT U-Verse.
Old 01-18-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That depends on what this means (and as a lawyer, I couldn't even tell you):
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-304134A1.pdf
Hmm maybe that will help.

Of course, CSN-NW has been "available" to DirecTV for a while, but two years later, the two sides haven't been able to negotiate a deal for the channel, so I'm not too optimistic.