DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-17-11, 04:50 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Official Boxing Thread

Okay. After finally going through both replays of tonight's main events, I got my breath back (But my voice is certainly hurting after the unplanned hollering I ended up doing)

Lopez/Salido-Browsing through Salido's record beforehand, I didn't think it would be necessary to even watch this fight. But I did--Just to see how good Lopez could look in his "Overdue" fight with Gamboa. But oh well! Most youtubers,writers,fans,etc, can say that the fight was stopped too soon. But you have to take this into account:

-It's in Lopez's nature to rather throw back than clinch when he's hurt (Just watch his fights with Mtagwa & Concepcion for proof) but while he's definetly a warrior for doing that, you can't blame the ref for stepping in when Lopez's head & legs are in constantly distorted-motion as he's throwing back (Even Arturo Gatti never looked that bad when hurt)

And the one thing that irritated me afterwards was the mention of "A Rematch". Lopez's punches didn't do anything to Salido. Salido's punches did something to Lopez. So what would a rematch prove? Just to outbox the unworthy opponent the 2nd time around?
I really do wish the damn promoters just went ahead and gave us Gamboa/Lopez earlier as planned. Gamboa has short, fast punches. Salido ko'd Lopez with wide sweeping punches. Would the result have been the same? I guess we'll never know.

Berto/Ortiz-I quickly assumed that Berto's speed would prove to be the deciding factor in this bout....Especially after seeing how Ortiz had fought in previous bouts (Namely, against Nate Campbell & Peterson) but, as Lampley said, Ortiz was A MAN POSSESSED tonight!
He bull-rushed Berto at the start of every round.
He made sure his combos counted whenever he had his man in close quarters.
We never saw stamina & hunger like this from him before.
And even when he got hurt/dropped, he wouldn't give Berto the pleasure that he was ever out of the fight.
In short, we've never seen Victor Ortiz quite like this before.

But I can't help but to mention that 6th round.

That round easily belongs in the echelon of greatest rounds ever. Consisting of Castillo/Corrales (I), Gatti/Ward (I),Foreman/Lyle & Bowe/Holyfield (I). Seriously, Ortiz got dropped HARD! And he came back to drop Berto within the same frame!?!?!

And even ol' man Merchant had to admit that Berto still delivered the goods in defeat.

If there's only 1 negative thing that I had with the evening:
The sight of Floyd's face in the crowd between rounds A brutal insult to those TRUE warriors (All 4 of 'em) who were in the ring tonight.
Old 04-17-11, 05:35 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
As i mentioned on twitter, you could tell Lampley wasn't too enthused calling Amir Khan's fight on a monitor against a nobody really. Also, Merchant had the line of the year so far "Stupid, maybe the referee and the doctor thought it was a wine tasting competition"
lol I actually had that fight on mute most of the time (Watching something else on the puter) I did hear Merchant's "Stupid ref" line back when they were at ringside at the MGM (Still hard for me to believe that there's an MGM that isn't in Vegas)

Anyway, I remember when you were telling me how DAMN ENTHUSIASTIC Gus Johnson is bound to get with his commentaries. Well, now we know. The man can not even be confined to a seat!

And poor Al next to him. Just moments away from being a water-bottle victim
Old 04-17-11, 12:46 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Wow......what a night of fights. I didn't score Berto-Ortiz, but Rafael had it 113-112 for Berto. Did you guys score it?
Old 04-17-11, 08:30 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

haha, Gus is the man. I can only imagine him announcing Vasquez/marquez 3 or Corales/Castillo 1
Old 04-19-11, 12:50 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Wow......what a night of fights. I didn't score Berto-Ortiz, but Rafael had it 113-112 for Berto. Did you guys score it?
I gave it another look tonight w/ pen & pad and actually had it a closer fight!
I had it 115-112 for Ortiz (Berto actually did better than I thought in rounds 7-9)

I read from another guy that Rafael tweeted that he wasn't the only writer nearby who had it for Berto too. Wouldn't be too surprised of the influence since the crowd was mostly pro-Berto and nearly every big right hand he threw seemed to always get a reaction from the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
haha, Gus is the man. I can only imagine him announcing Vasquez/marquez 3 or Corales/Castillo 1
An ambulance DEFINETLY would've been needed if he was around back then.
Old 04-20-11, 07:01 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

per Kevin Iole on twitter
Spoke briefly to GBP's Richard Schaefer. Agbeko collapsed. Fight with Mares off. Not sure if card will go on. Trying to reach Showtime.Schaefer said Showtime's Ken Hershman is in Italy and it's 1 a.m. there now, so no decisions made until he's reached.
Old 04-20-11, 08:14 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, hope he's OK.
Old 04-27-11, 05:20 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

haha, the super six is in trouble again, as Abraham is complaining that he wants 100% neutral officials for the fight against ward or its off.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=6437855
Old 05-05-11, 04:01 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

DirecTV just mailed me a scorecard for this weekend
Old 05-08-11, 01:25 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to Arce for being the star of the night!

And while I'm glad that Pavlik is back, I feel that the "Rebirth" could benefit from the help of some NEW cornermen. You could see that Kelly still has the tools to be as powerful as he once was. He just needs new tactics/strengths to put them at better use. Having Jack Lowe just cussing him out is bound to put Kelly back in the decline stages.

Freddie Roach could do some wonders with that left hook Kelly was able to get in.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-08-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 03:14 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-12-11, 09:15 PM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

I love this. The "PUT YOUR FUCKIN' HANDS UP!" couldn't have been yelled from the crowd at a more perfect time.
Old 05-14-11, 01:40 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Nice KO by Holt last night

Ward/Abraham tonight. I get a hunch that Abraham will be more competitive than expected, but it's still hard (Obviously) to see him prevail.
Old 05-16-11, 04:52 AM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Arreola's non-televised fight on Ward/Abraham (Notice how much longer rounds seem to be from 1 camera angle)

Looks like Kirkland has Anne back in his corner:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=6537408

I just hope too much damage hasn't already been done.
Old 05-19-11, 08:28 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know if there's a televised undercard bout beneath Hop/Pascal this Sat?
Old 05-21-11, 04:45 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

Jones said he still won't retire despite this:

Perfect "WTF just happened" reaction at 2:53.
Old 05-21-11, 05:21 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Sad to see. Makes it even more awe inspiring that B-Hop is STILL an elite level, top 5 pound for pound guy after seeing what has become of Jones Jr., Mosley, etc.
Old 05-21-11, 11:08 PM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking forward to the Hopkins fight....although they interviewed him during the first fight and he had a ski mask on looked like he wanted to hold up a convenient store

Oh and De La Hoya enters rehab.

Quote:
Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya has checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic in California.

De La Hoya went into rehab within the last few weeks, TMZ first reported Saturday. The nature of his substance abuse problem is not known.

After doing an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that there are certain issues that I need to work on. Like everyone, I have my flaws, and I do not want to be one of those people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws
-- Oscar De La Hoya

"He is my friend and I wish him well," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, De La Hoya's close friend, told ESPN.com at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Saturday night, where he was promoting the Jean Pascal-Bernard Hopkins light heavyweight championship rematch. "I'm sure that all the fans are joining me in wishing him the best."

Schaefer said De La Hoya was still in rehab, which is why he is not at one of his company's biggest fights of the year.

"After doing an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that there are certain issues that I need to work on," De La Hoya said in a statement. "Like everyone, I have my flaws, and I do not want to be one of those people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws.

"Throughout my career and my life, I have always met all challenges head-on, and this is no different. I am confident that with the support of my family and friends, I will become a stronger, healthier person.

De La Hoya asked for privacy as he goes through the process.

De La Hoya, a former six-division titleholder, had a career record of 39-6. He retired shortly after losing by technical knockout to Manny Pacquiao in December 2008.
Old 05-22-11, 12:23 AM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

If Hopkins loses this, then I really don't understand how to score boxing.
Old 05-22-11, 12:28 AM   #120
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty fun fight!
Old 05-22-11, 12:31 AM   #121
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
We go to the scorecards: 116-112, 115-113, 115-114 and the new light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins. IT HAPPENED! IT HAPPENED!
Fuck yes B-Hop!!!
Old 05-22-11, 01:39 PM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to Hop on making sports history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Sad to see. Makes it even more awe inspiring that B-Hop is STILL an elite level, top 5 pound for pound guy after seeing what has become of Jones Jr., Mosley, etc.
It sure is strange to see such a dramatic role-reversal between the two (Hop & Jones)
Old 05-23-11, 02:54 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

This snippet from Rafael's blog on friday made me laugh
I'm still depressed over the breakup of heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko and actress Hayden Panettiere because I had not yet had a chance to meet her.

It would have been amusing to hear Jim Lampley fawn over her if she were in his corner for the fight against David Haye
Old 05-26-11, 06:28 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

^I remember Lampley going over Nicole Scherzinger when she sang the national anthem for an Oscar fight.

Could've got tickets to FNF tomorrow (Reno's closer to me than Vegas) but decided to save some money. Still very hard to belive that Arreloa is fighting twice within 3 weeks. Talk about old school...
Old 05-31-11, 05:39 PM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Khan/Judah is being made (Can't believe how excited Rafael is over that) I would've rather have seen Khan/Bradley. Bradley seems to be getting a bad rap for un-exciting fights, but I feel he just needs the right opponent (He's had to chase down two cautious boxers in his last few bouts)

Also heard that Rios/Antillon will be in July. That should be very fun while it lasts!