Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2011 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 01-05-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 2011 NFL Off-Season Thread

seemed like it was time, since coaching carousel discussion is going on in the week 17 thread.
Old 01-05-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: The 2011 NFL Off-Season Thread

Cool I hope the Dolphins can make some waves here. We need it!
Old 01-05-11, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Patriots own two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds, and one 4th rounder. Suck it.
Old 01-05-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but we got Moss for a week. :P
Old 01-05-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to ESPN, Vince Young will get traded or released. I guess it means that Jeff Fisher is staying.
Old 01-05-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wade stays in Texas

The Houston Texans hired Wade Phillips as their new defensive coordinator Wednesday, hoping the fired head coach of the Cowboys can turn around a unit that sank toward the bottom of the league last season.

Phillips was the head coach in Dallas but was fired in midseason after a 1-7 start. He joins Gary Kubiakís staff two days after the Texans fired defensive coordinator Frank Bush, secondary coach David Gibbs, linebackers coach Johnny Holland and assistant linebackers coach Robert Saleh.

The Texans (6-10) lost eight of their last 10 games, mostly due to a defense that ranked as one of the NFLís worst. Houston finished 30th in yards allowed (386.6 per game) and last against the pass (267.5 yards per game)
Old 01-05-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
According to ESPN, Vince Young will get traded or released. I guess it means that Jeff Fisher is staying.
Fuck, I swear the guy must have 100 lives or something, he just won't get fired or leave.

I'll speak about Vince Young for a minute and get back to Fisher. I wish him well in wherever he goes next. I think the best possible landing spots for him are ARZ and MIN. Minnesota already has an established ground game and I think he fits in well there. There is zero chance he goes to the Redskins. I think he might go to the Raiders as well. They love the deep pass and Vince can do that well. They also have good rbs and Al was reportedly interested in drafting Vince in 2006.

Fisher is in a tough bind here. He knows he has to win playoff games and now he has the qb pick of his choice. He obviously can't start Collins here with his 2-13 record as a starter the past 2 years. A qb as a first round pick might take more than a year. So he has to sign a FA or trade for one. There are some slim pickings out there at QB now that Palmer is staying in CIN. Jeff Fisher is close friends with Mike Shanahan and somehow I don't think he's going to be giving a great recomendation for the Titans to sign McNabb when he gets dumped.

Of course, this could all be null and void if Bud fires Jeff Fisher too. FWIW, he never actually said Fisher was staying only that he was continuing to "evaluate the coaching staff."
Old 01-06-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reports are that Jim Harbaugh will interview today for the Miami Dolphins HC job even though Tony Sparano still has the job.

Harbaugh should know that you don't interview for another man's job while he has it. Period. If the Dolphins want to interview others they need to let Sparano go.

Apparently, Dolphin owner Steve Ross has no moral compass on how to conduct himself and how to treat people. Michigan's School of Business is named after him. I assume they don't teach Business Ethics there.
Old 01-06-11, 10:49 AM

A few points:

1.) The Miami situation is embarrassing. If they don't want Sparano, FIRE THE MAN. Don't have him hanging there while they drive a Brinks truck to Jim Harbaugh's house, which is a waste because I don't think he goes to South Beach.

How does Miami expect Sparano to be effective if they have to keep him next season? It's ridiculous. Let Sparano go and deal with the fallout. S*** or get off the pot.

2.) I hope Vince Young can get his act together. He's too talented to flush his career down the toilet. But he's got to realize that he's made some bad choices. The whole 9-1-1/suicide scare was enough to handle. But cussing out the coach in front of the team? Even if Fisher had it coming, it's a big no-no. Yell at him behind closed doors if you must, but nothing more. And he's got to work at being a QB more. He's got the raw skills, but being a Peyton/Brady/Brees level of QB reqires a lot, and VY hasn't done that yet. Neither did Michael Vick, and hopefully, VY won't have to go to Levenworth to learn his lesson. I know Fisher didn't want him, but he still could have handled himself better. All the same, good luck to him.

3.) How does Jeff Fisher keep his job for this long? The man just isn't that good of a coach. His regular season record is 142-120, or 54.2%. He's had 6 seasons of 10 wins or better versus 10 subpar tries. Having a winning record approximatedly 36% of time isn't that hot. He hasn't been to the Superbowl since 1999. The guy doesn't get it done.

Between Fisher, Gary Kubiak, and Jack Del Rio, no wonder the Colts have owned the AFC South for a decade. And I say that as a Colts fan. Peyton Manning is a better coach than all of them combined.

Fisher is a medicore coach on a ticking clock. He's got one more year to improve and I'm assuming he'll get a QB he wants. Another so-so year, and Bud Adams tells Fisher to finally hit the road.
Old 01-06-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post

3.) How does Jeff Fisher keep his job for this long? The man just isn't that good of a coach. His regular season record is 142-120, or 54.2%. He's had 6 seasons of 10 wins or better versus 10 subpar tries. Having a winning record approximatedly 36% of time isn't that hot. He hasn't been to the Superbowl since 1999. The guy doesn't get it done.

Between Fisher, Gary Kubiak, and Jack Del Rio, no wonder the Colts have owned the AFC South for a decade. And I say that as a Colts fan. Peyton Manning is a better coach than all of them combined.

Fisher is a medicore coach on a ticking clock. He's got one more year to improve and I'm assuming he'll get a QB he wants. Another so-so year, and Bud Adams tells Fisher to finally hit the road.
As a Colts fan you should be jumping for joy that Fisher is back with the Titans, since 2003 Fisher has gone 2-13 vs the Colts. He swept them in 2002. But outside of that he has been Peyton's bitch since then. I'd wager money that JAX and HOU have more wins than Fisher's two since 2003.

Of course everyone mentions what an elite coach he is, so they never remember that important stat.
Old 01-06-11, 12:50 PM
Banned

A few points:

1.) The Miami situation is embarrassing. If they don't want Sparano, FIRE THE MAN. Don't have him hanging there while they drive a Brinks truck to Jim Harbaugh's house, which is a waste because I don't think he goes to South Beach.

How does Miami expect Sparano to be effective if they have to keep him next season? It's ridiculous. Let Sparano go and deal with the fallout. S*** or get off the pot.

2.) I hope Vince Young can get his act together. He's too talented to flush his career down the toilet. But he's got to realize that he's made some bad choices. The whole 9-1-1/suicide scare was enough to handle. But cussing out the coach in front of the team? Even if Fisher had it coming, it's a big no-no. Yell at him behind closed doors if you must, but nothing more. And he's got to work at being a QB more. He's got the raw skills, but being a Peyton/Brady/Brees level of QB reqires a lot, and VY hasn't done that yet. Neither did Michael Vick, and hopefully, VY won't have to go to Levenworth to learn his lesson. I know Fisher didn't want him, but he still could have handled himself better. All the same, good luck to him.

I totally agree with the Dolphins' situation, they are disrepecting Sparano
Old 01-06-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not for nothing, but do you realize how often, in the business world, a company will interview someone to potentially replace another employee while that other employee is still working?
Old 01-06-11, 01:10 PM

I would suggest that what you wrote last explains your point #3. Fisher is going up a better quarterback, a better field general and a better run organization year after year. Put Peyton Manning on Tennessee and he'll beat the Colts ... like a drum.
Old 01-06-11, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Not for nothing, but do you realize how often, in the business world, a company will interview someone to potentially replace another employee while that other employee is still working?
.... so that some companies or managers have unethical business practices more should follow? Is that your point? It might be one thing to make overtures about someone's interest and availability and quite another thing to interview and make an offer to them. This has been described as the latter.
Old 01-06-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-ass/#comments

ok so tom coughlin after the win on sunday tried to keep his team happy about the season... then told "they" to kiss his ass... hilarious...
Old 01-06-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford. Poor Panthers. Wonder who'll be the #1 pick in the draft this year? If the Titans go into the toilet next year and somehow manage to draft Luck, I would be more than happy to endure a 2-14 season from Fisher.
Old 01-06-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

link about luck: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

i can respect his decision, but being the likely #1 draft pick, it would seem to be an interesting decision. maybe he's worried about the lockout.
Old 01-06-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post

i can respect his decision, but being the likely #1 draft pick, it would seem to be an interesting decision. maybe he's worried about the lockout.
I'll believe it when I see it. He's got plenty of time to change his mind.
Old 01-06-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel bad for Sporano this is all Tuna's doing. But I remember people calling the Canes dumb for firing Shannon before knowing who was going to be their next HC. You can never win with these kinds of things.
Old 01-06-11, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. He's got plenty of time to change his mind.
Agreed. Assuming Harbaugh bolts, I can't think of any reason for him to stay. You can't go higher than #1. You'd think a Stanford student would realize that...
Old 01-06-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

The other thing about the lockout..... Let's say there is a lockout. I don't know what that does for the draft. There may still be a draft. If so, great for a guy like Luck. Business as usual, even if there is no season.

Even if he leaves college and there isn't a draft, some agent will scoop him up and front him money which he can pay back next year. Then he can even finish up at Stanford, injury-free, and graduate.
Old 01-06-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Agreed. Assuming Harbaugh bolts, I can't think of any reason for him to stay. You can't go higher than #1. You'd think a Stanford student would realize that...
#1 almost certainly won't mean the payday that it used to be, given that a new CBA will almost certainly have a rookie scale. #1 now will just mean you're stuck on a team that will suck for at least a few years. Career wise, it might be better to be a lower pick.
Old 01-06-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post

He should ask Jake Locker how it worked out.
Old 01-06-11, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
#1 almost certainly won't mean the payday that it used to be, given that a new CBA will almost certainly have a rookie scale. #1 now will just mean you're stuck on a team that will suck for at least a few years. Career wise, it might be better to be a lower pick.
So he should try to suck next year, so more teams will pass on him so he can get on a better team? That's an interesting strategy... Not to mention that it's entirely possible that Carolina won't be the worst team in the NFL next year, so if he's just trying to avoid the Panthers, he might not anyway...
Old 01-06-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know some Panthers fans that are going to be crushed. They were ready to print up the Luck jerseys.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.