Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH January Wrestling Thread: Royal Rumble/ Genesis

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-01-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The new year starts off with a bang with TNA's Genesis ppv on Sunday January 9th. Here's the line-up at the moment...

* #1 CONTENDERS MATCH: TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
"The Blueprint" Matt Morgan vs. Mr. Anderson

* TNA KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP
Mickie James vs. champion Madison Rayne

* FORMER TAG TEAM PARTNERS BATTLE
Brother Ray vs. Brother Devon

* TNA X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Kazarian vs. champion Jay Lethal

* TNA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
AJ Styles vs. champion Douglas Williams

* CHALLENGE MATCH
Rob Van Dam vs. Immortal's Mystery Opponent
---------------------------------------------

WWE returns to pay-per-view with the Royal Rumble on January 30th, live from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The only confirmed match at this time is the Rumble itself.
Old 01-01-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH January Wrestling Thread: Royal Rumble/ Genesis

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4Cq8KeLv2I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4Cq8KeLv2I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-02-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expect HHH to return at the Royal Rumble. The WWE always likes to have a surprise entrant, plus if Cena is out for any length of time I'm sure they will want another experienced main-eventer back.
Old 01-02-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

This past week's Impact was uneventful, though the New Year's Eve bits with Eric Young and Shark Boy were funny.
Old 01-03-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Oh Matt Hardy lol

-- Matt Hardy, wearing a "PG SUX!" T-shirt and standing in front of a Cracker Barrel restaurant, announced in his latest YouTube post that he plans to get a new hairdo in the beginning of 2011. He is asking fans to leave comments below his video saying what he should get.

"Should I just buzz it? Should I just cut it real short? Should I get one of those Justin Bieber hairdos? Should I get braids? Should I get dreadlocks? I don't know, the possibilities are endless."

Hardy concluded his video by adding that his hair is not the only thing that is changing, but that a lot of things are.

"... because in 2011, Matt Hardy is going to become unpredictable and he's going to change pro wrestling forever."

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Im1Y8ofoqo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Im1Y8ofoqo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-03-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Oh Matt Hardy lol

-- Matt Hardy, wearing a "PG SUX!" T-shirt and standing in front of a Cracker Barrel restaurant, announced in his latest YouTube post that he plans to get a new hairdo in the beginning of 2011. He is asking fans to leave comments below his video saying what he should get.

"Should I just buzz it? Should I just cut it real short? Should I get one of those Justin Bieber hairdos? Should I get braids? Should I get dreadlocks? I don't know, the possibilities are endless."

Hardy concluded his video by adding that his hair is not the only thing that is changing, but that a lot of things are.

"... because in 2011, Matt Hardy is going to become unpredictable and he's going to change pro wrestling forever."

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Im1Y8ofoqo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Im1Y8ofoqo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
i hope he goes to TNA so that they can use him over AJ Styles and have the fanbase turn on TNA for bringing in that piece of crap...
Old 01-03-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gee. I'm sure his weight problems were medical, and not bacon and egg related.

What a fucking asshole.
Old 01-03-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If he's getting his meals at Cracker Barrel, chances are he's not dining on the ideal wrestler's diet.
Old 01-03-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tough Enough returns!

WWE issued a press release today on the return
of Tough Enough, which will air Mondays on USA before Raw:

USA NETWORK PICKS UP TOUGH ENOUGH

LOS ANGELES, CA –January 3, 2011 – USA Network has given a ten episode order to "WWE TOUGH ENOUGH," a non-scripted series in collaboration with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. and Shed Media US. "WWE TOUGH ENOUGH," slated to debut April 4, 2011, will feature a group of twelve individuals looking for an once-in-a-lifetime shot to become the next WWE Superstar or Diva. The grand prize winner will be awarded a contract with WWE, joining its roster of talent.

"WWE TOUGH ENOUGH" will premiere at 11/10c the day after WrestleMania® XXVII and immediately following USA's ratings juggernaut "WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW®." It will then move to its regularly scheduled slot, Mondays at 8/7c, starting on April 11th.

"We're thrilled to tag team with the WWE in bringing TOUGH ENOUGH back to television," said Chris McCumber, evp marketing, digital and brand strategy, USA Network and Jeff Wachtel, president original programming USA Network & co-head, original content, Universal Cable Productions. "By focusing on both the physical and the performance challenges of becoming a Superstar, the show will shine a new light on what it takes to truly make your mark in the WWE universe."

"For years, the return of `TOUGH ENOUGH has been one of the most talked about and speculated topics amongst reality show fans and television industry insiders," said Kevin Dunn, Executive Vice President, Television Production, WWE. "With the combined promotional muscle of USA Network and WWE, the right time slot and the reality show experience of Shed Media, WWE is looking forward to the successful return of one of television's first reality show hits."

The diverse group of men and women will live and train together in a house in Los Angeles. To see who has what it takes to be the next WWE Superstar or Diva, the contestants will battle it out each week in a series of unique challenges designed to test for such characteristics as showmanship, creativity, athleticism and desire, just to name a few. Each episode will feature a current WWE Superstar, who will introduce the contenders to a quality that they must possess to make it to the top of the sports entertainment world. Along the way, viewers will witness the trials and tribulations of what it takes to be one of the best in the world's greatest sports entertainment
organization.

Each episode
will conclude with the elimination of one of the hopefuls who is left outside of the ring, while those that remain will move one step closer to their dream. In the final episode, the remaining contestants will battle it out for the grand prize.

Shed Media US, noted for its strong characters and memorable casting in the non-scripted arena, will produce WWE TOUGH ENOUGH. The company's previous reality credits include "The Real Housewives of New York City," "Who Do You Think You Are," "World's Strictest Parents." Producing for Shed Media US are Alex Demyanenko and Eric Van Wagenen.

USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 98.5 millionU.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired televisionseries and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.

USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., a publicly traded company (NYSE: WWE), is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. The company consists of a portfolio of businesses that create and deliver original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience. WWE is committed to family-friendly, PG content across all of its platforms including television programming, pay-per-view, digital media and publishing. WWE programming is broadcast in more than 145 countries and 30 languages and reaches more than 500 million homes worldwide. The company is headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, London, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo and Mexico City. Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/.
Old 01-03-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Who do we consider Tough Enough's best successes?

John Morrison & Matt Morgan?

(I'm not counting The Miz since his so-called "Tough Enough" was a Smackdown segment, not the reality program)
Old 01-03-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some not quite big time:

Maven: Good start, faded fast
Linda Miles, Jackie Gayda*, Nidia: blinked and they were gone
Chris Nowinski: had potential got got plagued by concussions
Josh Matthews: probably just glad to be in the business

*At least Jackie got a husband (Charlie Haas) and some kids out of her stint
Old 01-03-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,028 Likes on 796 Posts

I missed the end of the last thread, but continuing discussions from there:

Kaval: I was suprised to see him released, but relieved somewhat that it seemed like it was his own choice. It's gotta be due to schedule, though, as TNA badly misused him last time and I don't see him getting over in that company under the current regime.

Kong: Last time they had a true monster in the women's division (Beth is huge but seemed beatable), Chyna laid waste to everyone until they decided she should start wrestling men. I hope that doesn't happen this time, but then again, the women's division back then seemed much better.

Haven't actually watched a WWE or TNA show in a month or so now, so I'm depending on this thread for updates... though I do tape them every week just in case. How are the MCMG doing, anyway? Only thing I have been watching is ROH, mostly because it's much shorter and it's all action.
Old 01-03-11, 07:29 PM

speaking of ROH, Mikey (Mike Mondo) from the Spirit Squad is in ROH now using a gimmick similar to Crash Holly's old gimmick of a Giant Killer. I loved the Godzilla fears Mondo sign :lol
Old 01-03-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont understand putting the Miz vs. Morrison on first. According to Michael Cole at the beginning it is so rare that that the WWE championship is defended on RAW, then why not give Miz and Morrison the main event at the end and build it up through the night. It would make the title match seem that much more epic. Thats how they used to do it. They always say they want to build up the new guys but everytime someone new wins the title(Sheamus, Jack Swagger, etc) they end booking them worse than the older guys and all you get is the feeling that they are temporary champions.
Old 01-03-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Then the closing segment wouldn't be a promo...
Old 01-03-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

main event seems to be the cage match
Old 01-03-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So Morrison vs Miz was booked as Champ vs #1 contender... but the main event tonight is to determine who the #1 contender is to take on Miz at the royal rumble???
Old 01-03-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, yeah.

The number one contender lost, he's no longer number one, and they need to find who's next. What's so hard?
Old 01-03-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Punk gets some great heel heat. He's a natural on the mic.
Old 01-03-11, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
^ Then the closing segment wouldn't be a promo...
I wish they would have a match at the end with a TV time limit that is sometimes reached. If the match did end a few minutes early, then do a very short promo or plug the PPV or something at the end.

It seems like when there is a match at the end, you know exactly when it is going to end because it ends right around 10:03, and nothing sucks worse at the end of the show than a lengthy promo.
Old 01-03-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we really going to get a heel/heel feud? Very hard to pull off but I'd love for it to happen with Cena on the shelf.
Old 01-03-11, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Um, yeah.

The number one contender lost, he's no longer number one, and they need to find who's next. What's so hard?
I guess I'm not use to seeing the "#1 contender" fight and then in the same show they are already determining the new #1 contender.
Old 01-04-11, 07:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I knew Orton would win last night. So sick of him. Should be interesting to see what they do with Wade Barrett now. I think the CM Punk leadership will be short lived.
Old 01-04-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I knew Orton would win last night. So sick of him. Should be interesting to see what they do with Wade Barrett now. I think the CM Punk leadership will be short lived.
Seeing as they have him going the John Cena route with his theme music and shirt I think you're right.
Old 01-04-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bby_g2nBeGQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bby_g2nBeGQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.