Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH January Wrestling Thread: Royal Rumble/ Genesis

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH January Wrestling Thread: Royal Rumble/ Genesis

Old 01-30-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WWE/TNA/ROH January Wrestling Thread: Royal Rumble/ Genesis

Nash vs. Big Show foreshadowing at Wrestlemania?

Nash has already gone on record saying the Clique will be at the Hall of Fame ceremony
Old 01-30-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Curse_7781 View Post
Your opinion about me is just that, an opinion :P

Plus, wasn't this board just ripping the rumble when Cena was dominating Nexus and that lame midget was making a mockery of the event. Same goes to Santino as well.

As for Nash, you guys were ripping Nash in TNA during his time but when it comes to the WWE Rumble, folks were marking for him because he was reminding them like a trip down memory lane. Can't believe people nowadays.
I can't believe you're following through with this argument (and I'm a TNA fan, barely ever watch WWE). Nash was part of main event storylines, and could barely walk down the ramp. He was getting clean wins over Joe and other younger guys and doing jack shit. In the Rumble, he put on his old gear, got a nice nostalgia pop, didn't take the spotlight away from anybody else and was eliminated pretty quickly. If on RAW tomorrow they have him pin Del Rio, then it's like TNA.

Also, anyone that watched the Rumble can bash anything they want. But did you even see it? You just said your friends were bitching. You were also the only one in the conversation to weave in a pro-TNA comment in relation to a conversation about a PPV you haven't even seen.
Old 01-30-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Del Rio to me is basically a better version of the JBL gimmick. And there's is nothing wrong with that. I love the personal spanish ring announcer too.
Old 01-30-11, 10:46 PM

I don't have to see shit to know its shit....plus in my opinion, Del Rio is a ripoff of the Million Dollar Man & JBL characters. Speaking of Del Rio, wasn't he punked out by HBK before winning the Rumble, thanks for that memory WWE.
Old 01-30-11, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Did anyone find the finish (even excluding the Santino stuff) to be a little anticlimatic?
No I found Kane being #40 to be anti-climatic.
Old 01-31-11, 02:59 AM

im guessing mysterio wins the belt at the chamber to set up mysterio vs del rio or a 3 way with edge for WM
Old 01-31-11, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Damn, guess I'm wrong then.
Yeah the title(s) has changed hands alot the month before Mania.

WWE Title
The Main Event (2-5-1988) Andre defeats Hogan gives belt to DiBiase then is stripped setting up Tournament at WM V that Savage Wins

Raw is War( 2-17-1997) Sid defeats Bret Hart 1 day after he won the title and goes on to lose the belt to The Undertaker at WM 13

Raw is War (2-15-1999) The Rock defeats Mankind, loses title to Steve Austin at WM XV

No Way Out (2-25-2001) The Rock defeats Kurt Angel, loses belt to Stone Cold at WM X-Seven

No Way Out (2-15-2009) HHH wins Elimination Chamber Match, Wins at Mania against Orton

Elimination Chamber (2-21-2010) Cena wins EC match to win title then promptly loses it to Batista then beats Batista at WM XXVI to regain title

The WWE title has changed hands at WrestleMania in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 (twice), 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2010

Hulk Hogan (twice) , Diesel (once), HHH (twice), Eddie Guerrero (once), John Cena (twice) & Randy Orton (once) are the only superstars to succesfully defend the WWE title at a Mania

World Heavyweight Championship

No Way Out (2-15-2009) Edge wins WHC after losing the WWE title earlier in the night. Loses belt to Cena at WM XXV in a triple threat match that included Big Show

Elimination Chamber (2-21-2010) Jericho wins EC match and beats Edge at WM XXVI but loses belt to Swagger on SD! the following friday

Also the the World Heavyweight Title has changed hands at WrestleMania in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009. Last year was the first time in History that the WHC did not change hands at Mania so Chris Jericho is the only superstar to succesfully defend the WHC at WrestleMania

Every WreslteMania since 2001 has had a Major Title change. And in the 27 Manias only 7 champions have retained and the WWE title has not been defended only 1 time at that was at WM 1.

Other useless facts. The Intercontinental Title has changed hands 7 times at WrestleMania, the last time was in 2009 when Rey beat JBL, before that is was 2002 when RVD won the title. The IC title was NOT defended at WreslteMania XII, XIX, XX, 21, 22, 23, XXIV and XXVI.

The US title has only changed hands 2 times at WM and the last was in 2006. The US title was not defended at WrestleMania 21, XXIV, XXV, XXVI

The Tag team Titles have changed hands 9 (10 if you count The Colons winning in a Pre-Show match at WM XXV) the last time the titles changed hands on the PPV was at WM X-Seven when Edge & Christian won the titles from the Hardy's

Last edited by JJE-187; 01-31-11 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have to see shit to know its shit....plus in my opinion, Del Rio is a ripoff of the Million Dollar Man & JBL characters. Speaking of Del Rio, wasn't he punked out by HBK before winning the Rumble, thanks for that memory WWE.
dont worry buddy... "They" are coming back to make Aj Styles and Samoa joe jobbers..

dude... i dont care because both organizations blow chunks but you are soooooooooo biased that you cant be surprised when people say you work for TNA.

Last edited by raven56706; 01-31-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Agreed...those were the 3 that I was ultimately pulling for.

Starting with Punk and Bryan was great. Like someone said earlier, it was as if Vince was trying to get the IWC amped up before all the shenanigans began. I loved the Punk/Nexus run. Very reminiscent of last year except Punk didn't get the mic. Match definitely started to fall apart in the second half. The Cena/Hornswoggle stuff got grating pretty fast. When Santino went under the ropes, I fucking KNEW it would come up at the end. My heart was in my throat when I saw him in the ring behind Del Rio. Had he won, I'm pretty sure my days of watching WWE would done for a while.

Overall, the show was alright. Not sure it's worth the $45 I'm paying for it. I'm a bit disappointed that with the exception of Booker and Nash, there were no surprises at all.
A little part of me did wish Santino would have won. Then I would have loved the whole IWC lose their lunch simutaneously and mention how they would stop watching wrestling only to show back up two months later. Seriously, it gets old with the Santino and SuperCena hate. Be thankful we got Bryan/Punk to start (and even Regal), be thankful that Barrett made the final 4. The Rumble should be fun, have some nostalgia and a up and coming winner. I think it delivered on all of those.

Anywho, I find it funny that hardly anybody wanted Booker or Nash back in TNA (myself included) but they got huge pops last night. Personally, Nash as Diesel was awesome, but more for the gimmick than the guy behind it. The only WTF moment for me was Eve winning the Women's belt. Especially after Natalya was built up so well. Is Eve posing in PB or something?

I'll be grabbing the sucker on Blu-Ray when it drops (as long as it is $20 or under), good times.
Old 01-31-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
A little part of me did wish Santino would have won. Then I would have loved the whole IWC lose their lunch simutaneously and mention how they would stop watching wrestling only to show back up two months later. Seriously, it gets old with the Santino and SuperCena hate.
Ummm...So you'd be happy with Santino winning and getting a main event spot at Mania? It's fun to watch Cena single handedly take out 4 guys who they are trying to build up as a legitimate threat?

Be thankful we got Bryan/Punk to start (and even Regal), be thankful that Barrett made the final 4. The Rumble should be fun, have some nostalgia and a up and coming winner. I think it delivered on all of those.
Must be nice to have a forum to express an opinion.
Old 01-31-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just as I said awhile back, I'll say it again...fuck you raven, go take a dump XD
got to love this guy
Old 01-31-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 01-31-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Just as I said awhile back, I'll say it again...fuck you raven, go take a dump XD
I'm willing to bet that you won't have the opportunity to say it again.
Old 01-31-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
That was one of the best moments in rumble history.
Old 01-31-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for Nash, you guys were ripping Nash in TNA during his time but when it comes to the WWE Rumble, folks were marking for him because he was reminding them like a trip down memory lane. Can't believe people nowadays.
i think the thing is that in TNA, they were used as serious guys and not novelties... In wwe, they are just mini attractions..

tell that to AJ styles and Samoa Joe when they were practically fed to these guys.. it isnt right and even TNA people are saying this...

hell, they complained about the nature boy as well... TNA cant find a solution for their lameness and they have the perfect opportunity to do it because WWE sucks right now... but unfortunately, Dixie is crazy and not a legit owner whatsoever... hence the reason why they are trying to get Chad Johnson to fight and wondering if Angelina(Jersey Shore) would be interested in a contract...
Old 01-31-11, 10:45 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

mod warning - Cursing out fellow posters here is a personal attack and against the rules. Continuing to do so will result in a Suspension or Banning.
Old 01-31-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That was one of the best moments in rumble history.
I agree. Awesome spot.
Old 01-31-11, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Ummm...So you'd be happy with Santino winning and getting a main event spot at Mania? It's fun to watch Cena single handedly take out 4 guys who they are trying to build up as a legitimate threat?

Must be nice to have a forum to express an opinion.
Sure. He's mega over with the crowd and they actually have been letting him do more and more as time goes on. He is a comedy wrestler, but it doesn't mean he can't evolve. And regarding Cena, Cena will always be Cena. He will always be the superface of the company. It's almost expected. So I take that single act as a grain of salt. Now, what they had him do the prior Raw with Barrett vs Punk was far more terrible and damaging I think.

Oh and yes it is nice to express an opinion. The same as anybody else does on here. The issue sometimes become I feel I need to speak out cause I see a steady stream of hate and very little reason. But I certainly respect everybody's opinon on here, just don't always agree with it.
Old 01-31-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post

I am sorry, as I am a John Morrison hater, but is this move everyone is going apeshit over? that was fucking retarded
Old 01-31-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I am sorry, as I am a John Morrison hater, but is this move everyone is going apeshit over? that was fucking retarded
I thought it was innovative and did a great job of showcasing Morrison's athletic ability. I love the unnecessary kick to Regal too.
Old 01-31-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
geez... talk about picky
Old 01-31-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like Alberto Del Rio is on a fast track to the main event, even quicker than I thought. It's been a while since a newcomer to the WWE wins something big like this. The last several years the Rumble has been won by a long term employee.

Every battle royal have to have at least one of the following now:
1) Guy hiding under the ring until it's just about over
2) Guy playing hot lava and not touching the floor

SO, who was in the ring the longest?
The shortest?
Most eliminations?
Old 01-31-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
geez... talk about picky
Ok, he walked on the railing and jumped to the steps. What is so impressive about that? Hell, I am pretty sure I could do that. What I am missing?

CM Punk lasted longer than anybody else in Sundy's 40-man Royal Rumble match, clocking in at over 35 minutes. R-Truth spent the least time in the match, barely breaking a sweat before he was tossed out after only 30 seconds.

Here are the times that WWE Superstars lasted in the 2011 Royal Rumble match:

* CM Punk - 35:22
* John Cena - 33:18
* Wade Barrett - 22:24
* Kofi Kingston - 21:05
* Daniel Bryan - 20:56
* Rey Mysterio Jr. - 19:08
* Sheamus - 18:18
* Husky Harris - 15:59
* Michael McGillicutty - 15:07
* John Morrison - 13:22
* Santino Marella - 12:55
* Alberto Del Rio - 12:33
* Ted Dibiase Jr. - 12:16
* David Otunga - 11:57
* Hornswoggle - 9:39
* Randy Orton - 8:20
* Ezekiel Jackson - 7:14
* Mark Henry - 7:03
* Yoshi Tatsu - 5:35
* Dolph Ziggler - 5:02
* Jack Swagger - 4:51
* Drew McIntyre - 4:46
* Mason Ryan - 4:30
* William Regal - 4:10
* The Big Show - 3:31
* Alex Riley - 3:16
* Diesel - 2:44
* Chavo Guerrero - 2:01
* Chris Masters - 1:57
* Kane - 1:36
* JTG - 1:48
* The Great Khali - 1:16
* Booker T - 1:08
* Justin Gabriel - 0:58
* Heath Slater - 0:57
* Tyson Kidd - 0:52
* Zack Ryder - 0:43
* Vladimir Kozlov - 0:40
* Tyler Reks - 0:34
* R-Truth - 0:30

Eliminations

CM Punk and John Cena tied for the most eliminations in last night’s Royal Rumble match, with each man eliminating 7 wrestlers. The following is a list of number of eliminations from last night (including "assists"):

* CM Punk – 7
* John Cena – 7
* Michael McGillicutty – 4
* Randy Orton – 3
* Husky Harris – 3
* Daniel Bryan – 2
* Mark Henry – 2
* Rey Mysterio – 2
* Wade Barrett – 2
* Alberto Del Rio – 2
* Mason Ryan – 2
* Big Show – 2
* David Otunga – 2
* Ted DiBiase Jr. – 1
* The Great Khali – 1
* Sheamus – 1
* Kofi Kingston – 1
* Ezekiel Jackson – 1
* Kane – 1

The Miz, who was not even in the match, eliminated John Cena.
Old 01-31-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
SO, who was in the ring the longest?
1) CM Punk - 35:21
2) John Cena - 34:20
3) Wade Barrett - 22:23
4) Kofi Kingston - 21:08
5) Daniel Bryan - 20:55

The shortest?
1) Tyler Reks - 34 seconds
2) Vladimir Kozlov - 40 seconds
3) Zack Ryder - 43 seconds
4) (tie) Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd - 53 seconds
5) Heath Slater - 57 seconds

Most eliminations?
Who else ... SuperCena (with 7)

EDIT: Damn you Deadman31
Old 01-31-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch

Kevin Nash was interviewed by Joey Styles on the WWE website at this link. When asked about his return, Nash commented, " I wish I had a thesaurus, so I could explain it. It’s nice to be in a building with people [laughs]. When you get in this business, you strive to get to WWE, and when it’s time to hang up your boots, you definitely want to end up a Yankee. So, if this was my last one, I couldn’t be happier."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.