MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Old 11-18-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Look at his stats from 2 years ago (2009 season) and you'll see what his upside is. He can hit for power, hit for average, he's fast as shit and has a cannon for an arm. His only downside is he's a horrible OF.

I just pulled up his stats. He hit .300, 26 HR, 86 RBI. He is prone to strike out, too. His upside is ridiculous and he's still young enough that he has a chance to be a superstar.
So I guess my follow up question is: Do you agree with them putting him on the trade block? Ellsbury/Bard combo is nice. You get a solid outfielder (if he can stay healthy, which remains to be seen) and you get your future closer (yes, I remember your posts about their bullpen last season ), you might be able to snag a pitching prospect too... but if Upton has that much upside at 23 years old you must want to keep him around.

Edit: I also see the Marlins and Rockies are interested and the D'Backs are asking for 4 players in return.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...pton?eref=sihp

Last edited by Goat3001; 11-18-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 795 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
So I guess my follow up question is: Do you agree with them putting him on the trade block? Ellsbury/Bard combo is nice. You get a solid outfielder (if he can stay healthy, which remains to be seen) and you get your future closer (yes, I remember your posts about their bullpen last season ), you might be able to snag a pitching prospect too... but if Upton has that much upside at 23 years old you must want to keep him around.

Edit: I also see the Marlins and Rockies are interested and the D'Backs are asking for 4 players in return.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...pton?eref=sihp
the team's front office is trying to overhaul the entire team. do i think they should trade him? no, i do not. however, if they get bowled over with some ridiculously good deal, where you can shore up your bullpen, get a good OF in return and maybe a few other pieces, they'd be stupid not to at least listen.

fwiw, there is absolutely no way the Dbacks would trade upton within the division. unless the rockies gave up jimenez and a few other pieces, there is no way that's happening.
Old 11-18-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts

So when will the Yankees get smart and realize that Jeter isn't worth the 20 million a year he wants? If I were them I would offer no more than 15 million per and tell him to take it or take a walk. He is a good player still but not worth the cash or number of years he is now asking for.
Old 11-18-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

So Selig announced today it is pretty much a done deal with the addition of 2 new wildcard teams in 2012. The wildcard round will be best of 3, and the division winners will get bye.

I think this is a horrible idea that the division winners will essentially get a week off, and face the chance of being rusty come the division series. MLB had a stat that the losing team in each playoff series had more days off then the winning team.

I believe this was intentionally done by Selig so there will be an outcry by the teams with a bye that there is too long a layoff as they sit idle. Selig can then push for 16 teams without anyone getting a bye with 4 playoff rounds like the NHL and NBA. That will force them to shorten the regular season and the new playoff TV revenue will offset the loss of about 10 regulars season games.

At this point, the regular season is pretty meaningless in all these sports except the NFL, and maybe we should all just tune in when the playoffs start
Old 11-18-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

the team's front office is trying to overhaul the entire team. do i think they should trade him? no, i do not. however, if they get bowled over with some ridiculously good deal, where you can shore up your bullpen, get a good OF in return and maybe a few other pieces, they'd be stupid not to at least listen.

fwiw, there is absolutely no way the Dbacks would trade upton within the division. unless the rockies gave up jimenez and a few other pieces, there is no way that's happening.
Agreed. He looks like a perenial all star/possible HOF. Unless you get a Texiera like package they should keep him. Oh yeah, he's only 23.
Old 11-19-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
I don't know about that. If half the teams in the league were eliminated, the talent level on the remaining teams would be ridiculously high. The competition and games would be good enough to keep my interest. As a Pirates fan, my team is probably one of the ones that should go. I'll sure as shit still watch MLB games though. I already watch teams I'm not a fan of. Why would that change if the games become more entertaining?

And I'm sure the Pirates and the other "have nots" could band together and form some other league and eventually convince the MLB champ to play them in a final series. How about THAT!!
The talent is diluted. That's why the teams with money have talent and those without do not. Contraction is needed but obviously would never happen. Perhaps major league baseball is not a good fit for some of these cities. Perhaps some underperforming minor league squads could relocate and kill two birds with one stone. What I don't want to see is diluted talent spread around with an artificial salary cap.

I'm aware that other Phillies fans here believe in the sanctity of baseball over the quality of baseball.
Old 11-19-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-19-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The talent is diluted. That's why the teams with money have talent and those without do not. Contraction is needed but obviously would never happen. Perhaps major league baseball is not a good fit for some of these cities. Perhaps some underperforming minor league squads could relocate and kill two birds with one stone. What I don't want to see is diluted talent spread around with an artificial salary cap.

I'm aware that other Phillies fans here believe in the sanctity of baseball over the quality of baseball.
or, and i'm just going to throw out this crazy thought, you put in place a hard salary cap. oh, say, something like the nfl. then, you make it impossible for teams to spend ridiculous amounts of money and hoard all the good talent. parity would be a result of this new-fangled system, which would be good for baseball because it wouldn't always be the teams with the highest payrolls with the biggest chance to go to the playoffs.

nuts, right?
Old 11-19-10, 10:08 PM
Admin

Received 364 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
So when will the Yankees get smart and realize that Jeter isn't worth the 20 million a year he wants? If I were them I would offer no more than 15 million per and tell him to take it or take a walk. He is a good player still but not worth the cash or number of years he is now asking for.
The initial offer from the Yankees is 3 years, total $45 million. I heard somewhere that Jeter wants 5 years for a total of $100 million.

Somehow I think we're going to see a 3 year deal around $54 million with a club option for a 4th year.
Old 11-19-10, 10:12 PM
Admin

Received 364 Likes on 233 Posts

I don't want to sidetrack you from the argument going on here but what's your scouting report on Justin Upton? He's been mentioned a lot this offseason and it looks like they want a kings ransom for the guy (apparently they want Ellsbury, Bard and others from the Red Sox). But his numbers seemed just pedestrian last year. Average BA, a lot of K's, not many BB's and average home runs. I know there's been a ton of buzz about him before, mostly because of him age (and he's still only 23 so the upside is huge), but you're probably the only person on this board that has seen him play on a daily basis. Is he as good as the haul they want to bring in for the guy?
Justin Upton is the real deal. He's not a flame out like his brother. Ellsbury, Bard and prospects are the least they can ask for. His prime is still ahead of him and he's going to mash. I wouldn't trade him period if I'm the D-Backs. He's a guy you can build around.
Old 11-19-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
So Selig announced today it is pretty much a done deal with the addition of 2 new wildcard teams in 2012. The wildcard round will be best of 3, and the division winners will get bye.

I think this is a horrible idea that the division winners will essentially get a week off, and face the chance of being rusty come the division series. MLB had a stat that the losing team in each playoff series had more days off then the winning team.
I agree. If they're going to do this then I think that they should have the 2 wild card teams have a 3 game series in a 3 game span and start game 1 of the division series the next day. HFA in the wild card round goes to the team with the better record and all three games get played on the same field. Game 3 is an afternoon game and the winning team flies to the division winner right away for a quick turnaround. That gives the division winner 3 days off and that's not too much at all.

Assuming this leads to teams playing hard down the stretch to avoid being a wild card then the 3 day rest should be good enough to set up the rotation, which is a privilege they would deserve.

Of course this won't happen though.
Old 11-19-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The problem seems to be the number of years, and Jeter's camp wonders why Alex Rodriguez can be under contract longer.

It seems to me that Rodriguez can be moved to DH later on, whereas Jeter can't because he's not a power hitter.
Old 11-19-10, 11:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Even the talk of Justin Upton getting traded makes my stomach turn. I have said a million times that I would give up on this team in the past, but Upton would be the absolute last straw.
Old 11-19-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The initial offer from the Yankees is 3 years, total $45 million. I heard somewhere that Jeter wants 5 years for a total of $100 million.
I really like Jeter, but I think he's being completely unreasonable if the rumors are true regarding his demands. He's been the face of the Yankees for years, but he was compensated quite nicely over that time period.

The Yankees signed A-Rod to that huge extension a few years ago because they figured he'd break the home run record as a Yankee and at that point in time no one had any reason to believe he was tainted.

Jeter should be more than happy with an offer of 15 million a year, because the Yankees would be paying him at least 5 Million more a year than he's worth at this point in his career.
Old 11-20-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
Even the talk of Justin Upton getting traded makes my stomach turn. I have said a million times that I would give up on this team in the past, but Upton would be the absolute last straw.
while i agree mostly, what if you got a deal like the Texans got for Teixiera. 2 of those guys (Perez, Andrus) are starters on the team and are potential stars. I know it's a crap shoot, but if you got can't miss talent in return, you'd still give up on them?

At least Towers is doing something.
Old 11-20-10, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

and DiPoto fleeced Ken Williams for Daniel Hudson. That's something.
Old 11-20-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by coli View Post

At this point, the regular season is pretty meaningless in all these sports except the NFL, and maybe we should all just tune in when the playoffs start
Selig never ceases to amaze. You have a league where you have 162 games. That is plenty of games to sort things out (even with an unbalanced schedule). Wild cards make sense in the NFL given that there is a relatively small sample of games. In hockey, it makes sense to have long playoffs because it's so dependent on the gate (and the playoffs are what the television carriers are basically paying for).
Old 11-20-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
and DiPoto fleeced Ken Williams for Daniel Hudson. That's something.
I won't disagree. However the fact remains. If you can get major league talent like Andrus/Perez in a deal for Upton, I think you'd have to be crazy not to consider it.
Old 11-20-10, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Selig never ceases to amaze. You have a league where you have 162 games. That is plenty of games to sort things out (even with an unbalanced schedule). Wild cards make sense in the NFL given that there is a relatively small sample of games. In hockey, it makes sense to have long playoffs because it's so dependent on the gate (and the playoffs are what the television carriers are basically paying for).
Thats what makes me laugh is that Selig's reasoning was, 'Well the other sports have 10+ playoff teams, why cant we?'

What Mr. Selig has forgot about is that MLB plays twice the amount of regular season games then the NHL/NBA, and 10 times the amount of regular season NFL games!

The problem is the new generation of fans who are brought up with the wildcard and extended playoffs in other sports, want as many teams as possible in the playoffs, and don't really care about the regular season anymore.

I love following the regular season in sports, (standings, league leaders, etc.) and the playoffs are just icing on the cake. If my team looks like it is out of the race midway through the season, I become more a national fan and just enjoy the pennant races. But we have an ADD culture these days in sports, and everyone goes crazy if ALL teams arent in the hunt all season.
Old 11-20-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just cut the damn season in half and put all of the teams in the playoffs and use the 80-100 game schedule to determine the seeding.
Old 11-20-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I agree in general but I do like the idea of adding two wild card teams in this instance. No team will play for the wild card anymore like the Yankees did this year. If they're in the hunt for the division they'll play their ass off down the stretch to make sure they're not a wild card team. However, I would like the idea better if it were a 1 game playoff between the wild card teams rather then a 3 game set spreading over 5 freaking days.
Old 11-20-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wild Card round would be best served to have 3 games played in 3 consecutive days with a one day break before each of the Division Series start. I would also like to see the Division series increased from 5 to 7 games as if you win your division you shouldn't be at risk to be knocked out in only 3 games.
Old 11-20-10, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree in general but I do like the idea of adding two wild card teams in this instance. No team will play for the wild card anymore like the Yankees did this year. If they're in the hunt for the division they'll play their ass off down the stretch to make sure they're not a wild card team. However, I would like the idea better if it were a 1 game playoff between the wild card teams rather then a 3 game set spreading over 5 freaking days.
Sometimes you have to look back on how things used to be. Then you decide if the past was better.
You compare both methods and look at the "what ifs" and then you decide that one way does give you the true and best way.
But still not everyone will like that way because they won't make as much money and it reduces the chance of their crappy team of making a so called "playoff spot".
That's the world we live in today.
No instant replay because it tells the truth, but arguing that's o.k.
Old 11-20-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts

That's why you shouldn't have a wild card period. Play your ass off for 162. If you can't beat out another team playing so many common games, you don't deserve to be a champion.

If I ran MLB and must have wild cards, and profit wasn't the object, I'd have 2 divisions in each league with a completely balanced schedule and have the 2 wild cards play a 5-game series all on the road vs the division champs. Then if a wild card can win that, then you have a normal home/road 7-game LCS. Baseball has no business being played in November.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-20-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 10:02 PM

However, I would like the idea better if it were a 1 game playoff between the wild card teams rather then a 3 game set spreading over 5 freaking days.
This was originally considered, but shot down because several owners. I could live with this idea because you could have the 1 game wiildcard playoffs on Monday, an off day on Tuesday, and then the Division Series start Wednesday, and nothing would change.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.