MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Old 10-30-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
but not Nick Punto's, so if anybody is in need for a terrible hitting average infielder that likes to slide into first, now's your chance.
I can see the Cardinals giving him a look.
Old 11-03-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 133 Posts

An interesting change involving the "Hot Stove" this offseason. Instead of potential free agents needing to file in the days following the World Series, all of them are now automatically free agents. Teams have a small window during which they can negotiate with their own guys (5 days), before all the other clubs are then able to make their moves.

Sounds like a good change. Whether it will speed up any offseason activity (signings, etc.) remains to be seen, but it's a possibility
Old 11-03-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts

Dbacks decline the option on Adam LaRoche. I'm sad to see that, because despite his K's, he was a productive 1B and he was pretty damn good defensively.
Old 11-03-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Dbacks decline the option on Adam LaRoche. I'm sad to see that, because despite his K's, he was a productive 1B and he was pretty damn good defensively.
A little surprising to me since it basically was going to cost them $6 million (they paid a $1.5 million buyout to opt away from a $7.5 million salary for 2011) to keep him. Seems like a decent value for a guy who hit 25 HR and drove in 100.

I did read one quote that the move was made so they could funnel more money into their bullpen. Guess it's up to the front office to actually follow through with that and make the upgrades there.
Old 11-03-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There has been talk in Chicago sports news that this could be an indicator the Dbacks think they have a shot at Konerko. Konerko lives in Scottsdale, but I don't know if that's enough to make him go to a team that won't be a contender for probably the next couple of years.
Old 11-03-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts

There is no way the Dbacks are going to pay Konerko what he wants. They just can't afford to tie up that much money in one player. Sure, they aren't going to resign Webb, so that money comes off the books, but I just don't see it.
Old 11-03-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm glad LaRoche passed on the Giants in January. Thanks man!

Hopefully Giants resign Huff, Ross, and Uribe - if the money permits
Old 11-03-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I'm glad LaRoche passed on the Giants in January. Thanks man!

Hopefully Giants resign Huff, Ross, and Uribe - if the money permits
I commented a bit on the Giants roster in the World Series thread. I think they've got to take a look at their offense and make some upgrades. Granted a full season of Posey is a step up. However, if they just bring back the same group of guys with expectations of repeating, I believe it will burn them.
Old 11-04-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP
Old 11-04-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 184 Posts

Rangers not picking up option on Vlad....

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=5761304

Sort of a no brain decision....Vlad hit like 325 or so early in the season, but that trailed off drastically after the break and into the playoff's. I think he was closer to 260 last two months of the season and playoffs. And for a quick, athletic team, he looking old and out of place.

Also, as much as I like Josh in center, think you either have to get him out of there for his own protection (he really likes running into walls) or at least give him regular time off there and he can be used as DH. I can also see a possible upgrade defensively at 3rd and Michael Young could also DH either full time or part time. Plus, I'm a big believer in that you can always "find" a bat out there.

Should be a little more money freed up for Lee as well.
Old 11-04-10, 02:43 PM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

RIP Sparky. What a great manager and great character for the game of baseball.

So Vladdy is out in Texas? My fantasy team is going to take a hit with that move. Texas is the Coors of the AL. I wonder where he'll wind up.
Old 11-04-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
RIP Sparky. What a great manager and great character for the game of baseball.

So Vladdy is out in Texas? My fantasy team is going to take a hit with that move. Texas is the Coors of the AL. I wonder where he'll wind up.
I thought so, but evidently that was one of ESPN's "teaser" articles....aghh...sorry, my bad. It doesn't necessarily mean they won't keep him. I don't think they should, but looks like they might....

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...erreros-option

It was a mutual option and simply a creative way to defer $1 million in the budget. Rather than pay Guerrero the full $6.5 million this season, the Rangers paid him $5.5 million in base salary and now can pay him the $1 million this offseason.

General manager Jon Daniels made it clear on Wednesday that the club wants to talk to Guerrero and manager Ron Washington said he wants Guerrero to return in 2011.
Old 11-05-10, 07:09 AM
Admin

The Mets signed Sandy Alderson as GM and JP Ricardi as his right hand man. Ricardi is going to head up scouting mostly. That's a nice team for the Mets. I think they did a really good job there. They're supposed to have a manager picked by the end of Nov.
Old 11-05-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 205 Posts

The Mets signed Sandy Alderson as GM and JP Ricardi as his right hand man. Ricardi is going to head up scouting mostly. That's a nice team for the Mets. I think they did a really good job there. They're supposed to have a manager picked by the end of Nov.
I'm not sure if I share your enthusiasm for Ricciardi. Maybe he'll be better just a talent evaluator but his tenure as a GM left a bad taste in most Blue Jays fans here.
Old 11-05-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I'm not sure if I share your enthusiasm for Ricciardi. Maybe he'll be better just a talent evaluator but his tenure as a GM left a bad taste in most Blue Jays fans here.
I hear you, but the reason he got the job in the first place was because he was very successful in scouting and player personnel for the A's. Alderson is actually the one who gave him his first official "front office" job.

I agree with VinVega, I'm thinking the Mets have done well. Now, if the Wilpons step back and let the baseball people do their job, the Mets will be fine given the payroll they have to work with.
Old 11-05-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Yankee fans, how does the Jeter contract situation play out?

Will he get 6 years at 20 million per, or something along the more reasonable lines of 4/64 million.

Obviously he is past his prime and no other team in baseball would give this guy more than 4/50 million.

If he's offended by the Yankee offer does he just retire?
Old 11-05-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
So Yankee fans, how does the Jeter contract situation play out?

Will he get 6 years at 20 million per, or something along the more reasonable lines of 4/64 million.

Obviously he is past his prime and no other team in baseball would give this guy more than 4/50 million.

If he's offended by the Yankee offer does he just retire?
SI.com talked about what the Yanks plan for the next few years:

-Sign Jeter to a 3 year deal

-phase out Posada

-A-Rod becomes full-time DH

-Jeter goes to 3B (like Cal Ripken did)

-Not sure his name, but the Yanks have a good prospect at SS in AAA they will bring up to replace Jeter.
Old 11-05-10, 10:12 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by coli View Post
SI.com talked about what the Yanks plan for the next few years:

-Sign Jeter to a 3 year deal

-phase out Posada

-A-Rod becomes full-time DH

-Jeter goes to 3B (like Cal Ripken did)

-Not sure his name, but the Yanks have a good prospect at SS in AAA they will bring up to replace Jeter.
Initially I think Eduardo Nunez would be the everyday SS. BUT, he won't have a hugely large leash. They might go outside to bring in a SS, especially if Nunez doesn't hit.

The plan as I've heard it is to DH Posada mostly in 2011. In 2012 A-Rod moves to full time DH and Jeter moves to 3B. I really hope they bring up Jesus Montero next year. Cervelli isn't going to cut it as an every day C.

Jeet will probably get a 3 year deal with a club option for a 4th season. He's not going anywhere and will finish his career as a Yankee. Yes he is declining and yes the Yankees will overpay for him, but they have the money. It's not that big a deal for me since there is plenty of help in the lineup.
Old 11-05-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hanley rameriz will be the shortstop...
Old 11-06-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Initially I think Eduardo Nunez would be the everyday SS. BUT, he won't have a hugely large leash. They might go outside to bring in a SS, especially if Nunez doesn't hit.

The plan as I've heard it is to DH Posada mostly in 2011. In 2012 A-Rod moves to full time DH and Jeter moves to 3B. I really hope they bring up Jesus Montero next year. Cervelli isn't going to cut it as an every day C.

Jeet will probably get a 3 year deal with a club option for a 4th season. He's not going anywhere and will finish his career as a Yankee. Yes he is declining and yes the Yankees will overpay for him, but they have the money. It's not that big a deal for me since there is plenty of help in the lineup.
Actually what worries more than the Yankees taking Lee is that the Yankees eventually take Elvis from Texas. Elvis has Scott Boras as an agent which means will be tough for us to keep.
Old 11-06-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 443 Posts

Mariners considered the favorite for Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma. I hate the "posting" process.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...vorite_fo.html

Casey Kotchman rejects option and becomes a free agent--good luck with that! Mariners decline options on Jose Lopez, Russell Branyan, and Erik Bedard. After they let Branyan go and then traded for him, I figure they'll re-sign him at a lower figure than his option. Not sure about Lopez.

Mariners have only 29 players on their 40-man roster, which kind of says a lot.
Old 11-06-10, 05:39 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Actually what worries more than the Yankees taking Lee is that the Yankees eventually take Elvis from Texas. Elvis has Scott Boras as an agent which means will be tough for us to keep.
I think his overall offensive numbers really need to improve before he's going to get a blockbuster contract. He had a tremendous postseason, but his regular season numbers were basically ok. 32 SB, 88 Runs .342 OBP and only 18 extra base hits. My point is there's no reason why the Rangers couldn't lock him up unless they are going to be cheap.
Old 11-06-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think his overall offensive numbers really need to improve before he's going to get a blockbuster contract. He had a tremendous postseason, but his regular season numbers were basically ok. 32 SB, 88 Runs .342 OBP and only 18 extra base hits. My point is there's no reason why the Rangers couldn't lock him up unless they are going to be cheap.
Rangers won't be cheap. But all common sense goes out the window with Boras. We call the Yankees the "Evil Empire" down here. And Boras runs all things evil...lol

Elvis will be fine at the plate. But he is very good at D and getting better. Plus always a stolen base threat.

Rangers are actually in good shape financially after the bankruptcy (I know, sounds strange). And they got the right ownership in place to spend it wisely. I'm not worried about the Rangers being cheap. But we all know, that doesn't mean crap with the monopoly money that the Yankees, Boston and a few other teams play with.
Old 11-08-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
We call the Yankees the "Evil Empire" down here.
Good one! Very original!
Old 11-08-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I know these sports threads can get pretty heated sometimes. We all like different teams and that will always lead to arguments. But as baseball fans, nay, as Americans, I feel we can all band together and agree on how great this is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5782045

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.