Reload this Page >

MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Old 12-08-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

The hyperbole he got his first year in Tampa was hilarious.
Old 12-08-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Carlos Pena signs a 1-year $10 million dollar deal with the Cubs. Link
And big market teams will dominate baseball
Old 12-08-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not; I think Barlett is a glove and that's it. If this were a 3-team deal where they got something better from the Orioles, it would be good.

That .840+ ops was a fluke.
I was joking. I have no idea who the guys they traded are, but B5Erik was making judgments about Red Sox prospects based solely on their stats. By that measure, this deal is a steal for them. If indeed these guys have good arms that will likely improve with experience, then maybe it's not such a good deal. But that also means that maybe the same will happen with the prospects they received.

ETA: I will say that even if 2009 was an anomaly, he has a good glove and is definitely a serviceable SS.
Old 12-08-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
per Heymans twitter...

Yankees looking to make a monster offer to Lee... 6 years 140-150 mil...
Hearing here in Dallas that, that was the NY offer.

Here in Dallas sort of a relief. Rangers are likely pretty willing to go 6 years 125-130 mil which would be the same as the NY offer if you factor in Texas has no state income tax and lower cost of living.

The question everyone has here is, is that THE NY offer? Or is that the starting point?

Texas really wanted to stick to 5 years, but pretty sure they will go 6 if they can keep it about 125-130.

It is a different world down here. New owners have money. But in the past bad contracts have really effected the team in the past. New owners seem to have the belief that they can live thru a bad contract or two. I still don't think they can (or probably should) go much more than 140 mil....but who knows.

Seems Texas did not make an official offer to Lee's agent, but did ask what it would take to bring him back to Texas. Don't know if they got an answer.
Old 12-08-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Crawford signing with the Red Sox for 6yrs/142mil. Throwing money around just like the Yankees.

Starting to hate the Sox more than I do the Yankees.
Old 12-08-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Crawford signing with the Red Sox for 6yrs/142mil. Throwing money around just like the Yankees.

Starting to hate the Sox more than I do the Yankees.
That came out of nowhere, didn't it? I was chuckling at the conflicting ESPN headlines for most of the day which were "Angels will land Crawford" and "Yankees are going after him" - I figured Crawford would hold out as the offers kept increasing.
Old 12-08-10, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
That came out of nowhere, didn't it? I was chuckling at the conflicting ESPN headlines for most of the day which were "Angels will land Crawford" and "Yankees are going after him" - I figured Crawford would hold out as the offers kept increasing.
I knew he was going to demand more after what Werth got. 23.6mil p/yr is way too much to pay for him....but the Red Sox have been throwing their money around lately and they really don't seem to care how much they spend.
Old 12-08-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew he was going to demand more after what Werth got. 23.6mil p/yr is way too much to pay for him....but the Red Sox have been throwing their money around lately and they really don't seem to care how much they spend.
According to several websites, the deal is for seven years = $20.3/yr.

I didn't expect this whatsoever.
Old 12-08-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im hearing 7 years, $142 million. Hes still not worth that much but its not my money. I like it.
Old 12-08-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Well, adding Lackey didn't help the Chowds, so why should Gonzo and Crawford?
Old 12-08-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Another great pickup for the Red Sox. Cliff Lee must be even happier now because the Yankees will definitely up their offer just to keep up with the fantastic offseason the Red Sox are having.
Old 12-08-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Angels get shut out again.
Old 12-08-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Im hearing 7 years, $142 million. Hes still not worth that much but its not my money. I like it.
That's what ESPN is reporting. 7 years 142....

Damn, Crawford was NY's back up plan...now they will over pay for Lee...fuck...
Old 12-08-10, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Angels get shut out again.
Because they have a pussy for a GM. They probably didn't even have an offer on the table.
Old 12-08-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because they have a pussy for a GM. They probably didn't even have an offer on the table.
I agree, I hate Reagins. With Tex two years ago, and last year with Lackey, and now Crawford and probably Lee....

He's all talk. He'll say some stupid shit like "We feel we can compete with the team we have" and then go and overpay for Beltre or Soriano, or some bullpen "help" aka the next Rodney.
Old 12-08-10, 11:55 PM

He shows up late for the Winter meetings and then spends the next 48hrs trying to figure out what other teams are doing when he was quoted last week saying he didn't care what other teams do. The guy is a moron and doesn't know how to do his job.
Old 12-09-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he believes that once Morales comes back, the team will magically improve. The lineup would be something like:

Bourjos -CF
Aybar -SS
Abreu -DH
Hunter -RF
Morales -1B
Rivera -LF
Napoli -C
Kendrick -2B
Wood -3B

The rest of the league is shaking in their cleats.
Old 12-09-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Are you kidding? they gave up two guys with terrible stats for a MLB starting SS! B5Erik must be ecstatic!
I'd be happy if the guy weren't on the downside of his career. He's still probably serviceable for a few more years, but he's hardly a great player (he may be above average in the field, but at the plate he's very average for a SS).

Typical mid market move - pick up a guy past his prime and fill a hole in the roster for a year or two, rinse, and repeat. Bartlett may be just barely past his prime, but he's 31 and had an injury last year so he's unlikely to repeat his 2009 numbers ever again.

The guys traded away aren't anything special (they may end up being solid role players, but that's probably all they'll be), so at least the Padres didn't overpay for him.

Good move for defense, but the Padres problem isn't defense - it's offense. They still don't have any. Gonzalez was literally 25% of their offense, and even with him they were pathetic offensively. They won their 90 games with pitching and defense.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-09-10 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I think he believes that once Morales comes back, the team will magically improve. The lineup would be something like:

Bourjos -CF
Aybar -SS
Abreu -DH
Hunter -RF
Morales -1B
Rivera -LF
Napoli -C
Kendrick -2B
Wood -3B

The rest of the league is shaking in their cleats.
Yep, say hello to 4th place in the AL West. That's quite a feat too!
Old 12-09-10, 01:00 AM

Really good signing for Boston.

His defense is wasted a bit in LF in Fenway and they have 3 lefthanded outfield batters (assuming Cameron becomes the 10mil reserve outfielder), but JD Drew and Cameron are FA's after this year and they'll probably grab a righthanded OF free agent next year. This all but guarantees the Red Sox will not announce the Adrian Gonzalez extension until after opening day so they can game the luxury tax system (and if I were Adrian I'd be asking for more after seeing them dish out 160mil while he plays for 6 mil)

Nickdawgy: I think the Angels have to go after Beltre at this point (if they are looking to compete with Texas) If you put maybe Morales 3rd, Beltre 5th, Abreu 6th and slide the rest down a spot (and put Woods on the bench), the lineup might not be too bad? (Maybe good enough in that division if Texas misses out on Lee?)
Old 12-09-10, 01:21 AM

Beltre? No thanks. I'd rather have Brandon Wood back at 3B than overpay for Beltre. Can't believe I'm saying that.

It will be funny, though, if they do sign Beltre because whatever they sign him for they will most certainly overpay for him.....but they weren't willing to overpay for the one guy they wanted the most.
Old 12-09-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
You bat .196 and make $10M. What a country. What recession?
I think I read Pena had 28 HR and only 18 doubles?

Someone wrote to cubs.com saying Pena would be such a great signing cause he hits .300 and steals 60 bags a year. Columnist said they were probably thinking of Crawford.

Crawford's a big-time player but man, that's a lot of $.

Mariners counter by signing Jack Cust!
Old 12-09-10, 02:41 AM

Beltre? No thanks. I'd rather have Brandon Wood back at 3B than overpay for Beltre. Can't believe I'm saying that.

It will be funny, though, if they do sign Beltre because whatever they sign him for they will most certainly overpay for him.....but they weren't willing to overpay for the one guy they wanted the most.
Yeah - you are dead on the key is whether they can sign him at a reasonable deal. Beltre turned down 5years/62mil (maybe 64mil?) from the A's - not sure if it was a money issue or playing for the A's (which means something extra like the Nationals had to give Werth). There doesn't seem to be the feeding frenzy that I think Boras expected - the Gonzalez trade quickly took Boston out of it and limits Boras from doing his typical 'mystery team' , 'lots of offers' leak (though that probably will be trotted out after Cliff Lee signs as Beltre will become the biggest free agent left)

I am surprised the Angels didn't overpay for Crawford (or overpay beyond 142mil?) - they really seemed to want him. The only thing I saw about that was on ESPN, where a "source" (whatever the hell that means these days) said the Angels had made a similar offer but "In the end, it came down to his desire to become a member of the Red Sox, move to Boston and the ability to win." (this was on the ESPNBoston site so take with whatever grains/boulders of salt)

The Angels clearly need a bat though... Want ARod ? How far is Mike Trout away from the majors? He's supposed to be a stud.
Old 12-09-10, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
Nickdawgy: I think the Angels have to go after Beltre at this point (if they are looking to compete with Texas) If you put maybe Morales 3rd, Beltre 5th, Abreu 6th and slide the rest down a spot (and put Woods on the bench), the lineup might not be too bad? (Maybe good enough in that division if Texas misses out on Lee?)
Alot of people i know think they had a bad year, and are due to bounce back, but I am not convinced. I mean they can't be as bad as last year, but I don't see them running away with the division or anything.

Yeah, a friend of mine told me all summer how the Angels would land Crawford. He said the same thing about Tex two years ago. I told him the Yankees would sign him, and he said "No, they signed Swisher, they don't need a first baseman"

Anyway, a couple days ago he says that Beltre is what the Angels need because they need power at 3B. He said the Angels have Trout in the system (which is true, but not til 2011 at the earliest) and they are good in the OF for now.

I just hate the fact that the Chowds are sticking it to the Angels again (after trying to steal Tex, and then stealing Lackey) and the Angels are possibly going to settle, and most definitely overpay for one of their castoffs.
Old 12-09-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
Yeah - you are dead on the key is whether they can sign him at a reasonable deal. Beltre turned down 5years/62mil (maybe 64mil?) from the A's - not sure if it was a money issue or playing for the A's (which means something extra like the Nationals had to give Werth). There doesn't seem to be the feeding frenzy that I think Boras expected - the Gonzalez trade quickly took Boston out of it and limits Boras from doing his typical 'mystery team' , 'lots of offers' leak (though that probably will be trotted out after Cliff Lee signs as Beltre will become the biggest free agent left)

I am surprised the Angels didn't overpay for Crawford (or overpay beyond 142mil?) - they really seemed to want him. The only thing I saw about that was on ESPN, where a "source" (whatever the hell that means these days) said the Angels had made a similar offer but "In the end, it came down to his desire to become a member of the Red Sox, move to Boston and the ability to win." (this was on the ESPNBoston site so take with whatever grains/boulders of salt)

The Angels clearly need a bat though... Want ARod ? How far is Mike Trout away from the majors? He's supposed to be a stud.
I heard this same song and dance a couple years ago. Tex was going to come back to the Angels, and last year it was sources are saying that Lee/Halladay are leaning towards the Angels. I think there were quite a few sources that said Crawford was headed to Anaheim.

Trout is a stud, I saw him play for RC. He'll most likely be in AA Arkansas this season, and possily AAA Salt Lake if he moves along as expected. If he's lucky, he'll get a shot in September to show what he's got.

Then again, he could just dominate, and move up sooner than that, but given the history of the Angels in not rushing their youngsters, I'd bet against it.

They also have Hank Conger and Mark Trumbo as well. Conger looked pretty good during the short time he was up, but his defense sucks, and Mike Scioscia being a former catcher loves his defense. That's why Mathis is still on the team.

Trumbo on the other hand was a disappointment until the last week of the season if I remember. I'm not sure if they will start the season on the roster. I guess we will see what happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.