MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Old 11-24-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: MLB 2010-11 Offseason & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Yankees want Jeter to test the market if their offer isn't to his liking.

If I'm managment I don't budge. Dude has made obscene cash during his NY career... 3/45 is more than fair for Mr. Yankee and his diminishing skills. Though I'm sure the Yankees will pony up some more before the smoke clears.

Fuck this guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...=ESPNHeadlines
Actually, I think the Yankees are going about this all wrong. They should offer him something different, to allow them to pay him what he's worth on the field, while still respecting that he brings more to the table (in things like PR/Marketing) than someone of his stats, and allowing him to save face. They should add a personal services contract, or a small ownership stake in YES, or something along those lines. The monetary value wouldn't have to be that high for both parties to come together, I think.
Old 11-24-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LurkerDan.... they probably wll in good faith but first and foremost... this is a business....

they are negotiating with themselves... no one and i repeat... NO ONE..will give Jeter that much dough for his stats and length of contract... They are waiting it out... he feels they need to give him more money but its not good business
Old 11-24-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
LurkerDan.... they probably wll in good faith but first and foremost... this is a business....

they are negotiating with themselves... no one and i repeat... NO ONE..will give Jeter that much dough for his stats and length of contract... They are waiting it out... he feels they need to give him more money but its not good business
I understand they are negotiating against themselves. But you must also realize that while nobody will give him the same money, he's not worth as much to others as he is to the Yankees. They SHOULD give him more money than everyone else. If they play hardball and, say, the Red Sox offer 4 years at $13M to have him play 3B (assume Beltre leaves), and he goes there, who will look bad? Who will lose money? Even if the Yankees win another 95 games and make the playoffs, they will not be as marketable without him. And if somehow they stumble and he (and the Sox) do well, they'll look even worse.

He needs them more than they need him, sure, but they do need him. And if both parties get locked into a staring contest, it could be hard for either to back down. I just think they should figure out a way to allow him to save face, to offer him something different.
Old 11-24-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
A follow up to the NL MVP discussion...an interesting point (and I read this elsewhere) to consider when defining "valuable" - if Votto/Pujols switched places last year, isn't it safe to say the standings would have looked exactly the same. That's how similar both guys were.
Decent reason to give it to the new guy.
Old 11-24-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I understand they are negotiating against themselves. But you must also realize that while nobody will give him the same money, he's not worth as much to others as he is to the Yankees. They SHOULD give him more money than everyone else. If they play hardball and, say, the Red Sox offer 4 years at $13M to have him play 3B (assume Beltre leaves), and he goes there, who will look bad? Who will lose money? Even if the Yankees win another 95 games and make the playoffs, they will not be as marketable without him. And if somehow they stumble and he (and the Sox) do well, they'll look even worse.

He needs them more than they need him, sure, but they do need him. And if both parties get locked into a staring contest, it could be hard for either to back down. I just think they should figure out a way to allow him to save face, to offer him something different.
true but that wont happen... no one will take a 37 year old with diminished stats more then 15 a year.... he's asking for money...

he will come back and the yankees will sweeten the deal.. but the yankees are paying him more than rollin, hanley, reyes...
Old 11-24-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of surprised the Sox didn't offer arbitration to Varitek, but i guess they figured they will be able to sign him cheaper... Looks like they are going to get quite a few draft picks for Beltre and Martinez so hopefully a big deal is coming because if not, the bridge will continue.
Old 11-24-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

true but that wont happen... no one will take a 37 year old with diminished stats more then 15 a year.... he's asking for money...

he will come back and the yankees will sweeten the deal.. but the yankees are paying him more than rollin, hanley, reyes...
Don't underestimate the Red Sox desire to stick it to the Yankees. And while I doubt he'd agree to switch positions with the Yankees, he'd probably be more willing to do it for another team.

I know, wishful thinking from a Yankee hater.
Old 11-24-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could see the sox throwing money at Jeter, but no way in hell would they give him the years....
Old 11-24-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't underestimate the Red Sox desire to stick it to the Yankees. And while I doubt he'd agree to switch positions with the Yankees, he'd probably be more willing to do it for another team.

I know, wishful thinking from a Yankee hater.
3 years at $15M is more than he is worth from a baseball standpoint. So, all this crap that the Yankees have to pay him for his service, his legend, etc. is just that...crap. What do you think his $189M contract was? How did he become the second highest earning player in the history of MLB? They have been paying him for all the intangibles for years.
Old 11-26-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Jeter fan but he and his agent must be smoking crack to think he can try to get 6 years $150mil.
Old 11-26-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

Dbacks traded for Zach Duke. Not a bad deal if they can get him cheap. I know he was due like $4+ million before he was waived by the Pirates.
Old 11-26-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

I just read on ESPN that the Jeter camp is actually asking for a 6 year 150 million dollar deal. If that is true then it is absolutely absurd.
Old 11-26-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I just read on ESPN that the Jeter camp is actually asking for a 6 year 150 million dollar deal. If that is true then it is absolutely absurd.
Wow. If I'm the Yankees brass I take the 3/45 off the table and offer him 3/36.

What a joke.
Old 11-26-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That cant possibly be right...
Old 11-26-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeter.... cut the shit.. your agent will soon make you poor as hell... i say the yankees take the offer off and bring it down... Jeter... stop already... you got 189mil for 10 years and you dont put up AROD numbers.... cut it out
Old 11-27-10, 02:55 AM
Banned

Actually, I think the Yankees are going about this all wrong. They should offer him something different, to allow them to pay him what he's worth on the field, while still respecting that he brings more to the table (in things like PR/Marketing) than someone of his stats, and allowing him to save face. They should add a personal services contract, or a small ownership stake in YES, or something along those lines. The monetary value wouldn't have to be that high for both parties to come together, I think.
They ought to make that s.ob. Jeter sign some Fu**ing autographs!
I was at all 4 Yanks vs. White Sox games this past season all early as the gates were open.
That jerk didn't come by and sign by the Yankee dugout. There were kids and a cute girl at all4 games and did'nt sign. Now I don't know if this means anything but he did sign for people and kids that had passes to be on the field. They looked like friends of players and such. ANybody watch MLB channel and what Mitch Williams said about how Jeter is worth the money? Mitch says because Jeter scored 100 plus runs he does his job.
Well, Mitch unless Jeter is stealing home 100 times he's not worth the money.
When you have a multi million dollar 3,4,5 hitters if Jeter can't score over a 100 runs then the Yankees have bigger problems than signing a 35 year old shortstop coming off his worse year.
Old 11-27-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They Dodgers just signed Jon "Judy" Garland.

Rotation for next year:
-Kershaw
-Lily
-Billingsly
-Kuroda
-Garland
Old 11-27-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

3 years at $15M is more than he is worth from a baseball standpoint. So, all this crap that the Yankees have to pay him for his service, his legend, etc. is just that...crap. What do you think his $189M contract was? How did he become the second highest earning player in the history of MLB? They have been paying him for all the intangibles for years.
It all started when they signed A-Rod. He said everything right, but now we are seeing how much it ate at him. It is personal now.
Old 11-27-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
It all started when they signed A-Rod. He said everything right, but now we are seeing how much it ate at him. It is personal now.
Well, he can take his personal self and hit the road for that type of money.
Old 11-27-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, he can take his personal self and hit the road for that type of money.
As someone who loathes the Yankees....I would welcome this with open arms!
Old 11-27-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN is reporting that Jeter's reported demands were wrong. He was actually asking for only 23 million a season. LOL!
Old 11-27-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
well then he shouldnt have made such a lengthy contract... plus he doesnt put up AROD numbers... sorry
Old 11-27-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say this off season drama between the Yanks and Jeter is endlessly fascinating.

I really hope the Yankees stick to their guns and don't up their offer.
Old 11-28-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I have to say this off season drama between the Yanks and Jeter is endlessly fascinating.

I really hope the Yankees stick to their guns and don't up their offer.
I don't see how some of these broadcasters/analysts believe that the Yankees stance is going to cost them more in the end. It doesn't make sense. You either pay him what you (not him or his agent) feels he's worth or make him walk as the Kane starts to talk.
Old 11-29-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts

The BBWAA has indicated there's 33 names appearing on the upcoming HOF ballot.

Blyleven (finally) and Alomar look like locks this year. This will be the year the writers get to put the hammer down on Rafael Palmeiro. Other big names among first-timers include Jeff Bagwell and Juan Gonzalez.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.