Reload this Page >

Fantasy Football Talk 2010

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-23-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my draft in my keeper league yesterday and have one coming up next Sunday so figured it was time to get a discussion thread outside of the usual DVD Talk leagues going for the new season.

Ended up with Rivers, Roddy White & Marshall as my keepers and took Jonathan Stewart as my first pick. Don't know how I feel about having part of a backfield committee as my first pick but by the time it was my pick (10th) that's pretty much all that was left. I ended up taking a late round flier on Maroney but that backfield in NE looks pretty crowded. Who do you see coming out of that one, Maroney, Taylor, Morris or Faulk?
Old 08-23-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2010

Great, I was thinking we should start a thread. My guess would be that none of those will emerge as a consistent option.
Old 08-23-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Crossing my fingers for Maroney; I took a chance on him too. (Need that one to pay off big.)

As David said, though, it could get dicey at best hoping ANY one of those guys stands out as the #1 back/big stat guy.
Old 08-23-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Protection question: We have five protecteds with no impact on draft picks. We start 1 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST. TD + yards, no PPR.

I figure four of my protecteds will be Ray Rice, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Sidney Rice. My inclination right now is Joe Flacco since he has more experience than Kevin Kolb. I'd love to keep another RB because of our system, but I only have Donald Brown and Chester Taylor. Visanthe Shiancoe isn't worth it either.

Any better ideas than Flacco?
Old 08-23-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
. I ended up taking a late round flier on Maroney but that backfield in NE looks pretty crowded. Who do you see coming out of that one, Maroney, Taylor, Morris or Faulk?
I think it will be Fred Taylor until he gets injured. But I dont think any of them are reliable for points. They all seem like candidates to get huge points on your bench but then when you start them, they barely play.
DVD Talk Legend

So my commissioner decided to change our draft format to auction draft. Any advice?
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Protection question: We have five protecteds with no impact on draft picks. We start 1 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST. TD + yards, no PPR.

I figure four of my protecteds will be Ray Rice, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Sidney Rice. My inclination right now is Joe Flacco since he has more experience than Kevin Kolb. I'd love to keep another RB because of our system, but I only have Donald Brown and Chester Taylor. Visanthe Shiancoe isn't worth it either.

Ooh.. Tough one. I actually like Kolb over Flacco. Remember, last year in Kolb's first few starts he went over 300 yards in both, and I dont' like philly's run game that much.
Old 08-23-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
So my commissioner decided to change our draft format to auction draft. Any advice?
ooh. If this is a $ league and you don't want a part of an auction draft I would make a stink.

however, you can get a stacked team if done correctly. I would try some Mock Auction drafts on yahoo or espn to see how they work for you.

The worst part about them is the draft can go on for hours and hours.
Old 08-23-10, 07:12 PM

Definitely head on over to Yahoo and practice. You can always draft until you get bored and put it on auto. I've stuck through some rough 12 rounders, but the experience helps.

Good luck with the new format!
Old 08-24-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
Ooh.. Tough one. I actually like Kolb over Flacco. Remember, last year in Kolb's first few starts he went over 300 yards in both, and I dont' like philly's run game that much.
I know, one of the things that torpedoed my season early was having McNabb on my bench while I watched Kolb pile up the points. I later picked him up as insurance but never used him. It feels like he has a higher upside than Flacco but also a little more boom or bust. I like his receivers better--if Balt hadn't picked up Boldin, there probably wouldn't be any debate.

Last edited by davidh777; 08-24-10 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I run an auction league. Very fun, except for managing, which is somewhat of a pain, particularly since mine is a dynasty league.

In the early go-arounds, when it is your turn to throw out a player's name, choose highly-rated guys that you feel are generally overrated. Let the others spend a lot of money when they have money on those guys early on.

If this everyone's first auction league, don't be afraid to spend money early. People might be timid. Don't be surprised if some guys go for high numbers. For example, a top RB very well might go for about 1/3 of someone's total cap. So if people are timid, you might be able to get relative bargains early.
Old 08-24-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing that would help this thread is a listing of sites that a) post player news (eg, injuries) and also sites that do rankings of players (both for the draft and for each week).
Old 08-24-10, 12:33 PM

Don't know if this is what you've mentioned, but I ran across this one before: http://www.fftoolbox.com/index.cfm.
Old 08-24-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

RotoWorld Player News: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL
Yahoo Pre-Rankings: http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/news/archive?league=nfl
CBS Sports Player Rankings: http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan...tball/rankings

Just a few.
Old 08-24-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

If anyone sees a compilation of rankings (combined and averaged from the various ff sites), please post a link.
Old 08-24-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
One thing that would help this thread is a listing of sites that a) post player news (eg, injuries) and also sites that do rankings of players (both for the draft and for each week).
I just discovered The Fantasy Football Guys podcast through the iTunes store, they know their shit and they're funny as fuck. They're doing shows once a week right now, might go to twice a week during the season. They also have a forum.

ESPN's Fantasy Focus Football is pretty decent as well, they run 5-days-a-week during the season. They're running a series of draft "specials" leading up to the beginning of the season. I also listen to Football Today for info and injuries and whatnot.

Footballguys.com has their "Audible" podcast. I like it, but something is weird when it ends up on my iPod. I rewind for fast forward and the timing of the episode gets screwy.

Rotowire also has a podcast, it's alright.

CBSSports' is kinda weak sauce, IMO.

I also discovered Ultimate Football Talk, eh? It's the Mackenzie Brothers talkin' da NFL ya hoser.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 08-24-10 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read that Rice had back surgery, could knock him out for half the season...
Old 08-24-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
If anyone sees a compilation of rankings (combined and averaged from the various ff sites), please post a link.
I know the fflibrarian does something like this. You can probably find it in one of the links over the past 2 weeks at www.fflibrarian.com
Old 08-24-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
I read that Rice had back surgery, could knock him out for half the season...
Hip actually, but thanks. We've been complaining about it in the preseason thread. Now I have to dig deeper for keepers. Bummer too, because I was thinking I'd be starting my team with three top-15 WRs.
Old 08-26-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this on another site, think it may be useful. I haven't tried it yet though... http://app.pickemfirst.com/home.jsp
Old 08-27-10, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Think Addai's concussion will add any value to Brown in Indy?
Old 08-27-10, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I forgot....fantasyfootballnerd.com has this.
Old 08-27-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a website or software (free if possible) in which they allow you to input your league settings for players ranking? My draft is coming up on September 3rd and this would be handy...
Old 08-27-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I think fftoday.com has one, but you have to pay for it.
Old 08-27-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For what it's worth, I ended up going with Flacco (higher rated than Kolb by almost every source I checked) and Shiancoe instead of Rice. I seriously considered Donald Brown after the Addai concussion, but ultimately figured a solid starter at TE (with potential upside to catch more balls due to depletion) was worth more than a committee-as-best-case at a more valuable position.

Thanks to all those who offered thoughts!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.