Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Old 07-27-10, 03:11 PM
  #1  
Admin
Thread Starter
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 33,788
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts
NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Previous thread (Part2): HERE
Old 07-27-10, 03:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

I don't understand the anger toward McGrady.

Him wanting to take on a large role, looking to shoulder a lot of weight and push through to become a star again is foolish, but Lebron being willing to take on a smaller role to win a championship alongside his friends is also foolish?

This isn't Mark Madsen we're talking about. This is Tracy "13 Points In 35 Seconds" McGrady. His basketball IQ is through the roof and his defensive skills are incredibly underrated. He's a big injury risk, but if it's a choice between having him or not (are the Bulls looking at anyone else?), I'd add him in a second.

The guy is confident in his abilities and wants to make a big contribution to an already strong team. How is that a contemptible attitude? He called Rose the best PG he would have played with and mentioned Boozer's talent. What should he do, say he's willing wash Joakim Noah's undies for a chance to play behind Ronnie Brewer and Kyle Korver?

Very few players of that talent level are willing to come off the bench consistently. If he were, that would increase his value greatly, but you can't criticize a guy just for not being Manu Ginobili.
Old 07-27-10, 03:50 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

I don't see the big deal about McGrady's comments either. He seems to acknowledge what injuries did to him, but feels he's fully recovered. And that he wants to prove it in training camp.

"I won't have a problem, but that's not what I'm really shooting for," McGrady said. "I think, yeah, if I was the player that I was in a Knicks uniform [at the end of last season], I would have no problem coming off the bench. But I've worked extremely hard and I'm far from being that player. Trust me.

"It's up to me in training camp," McGrady continued, "to prove I'm a starter."
Old 07-27-10, 03:56 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,388
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Yeah, it's not like he is asking to just be given a starter's role. He says that he is willing to earn it.
Old 07-27-10, 04:04 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

True, but on the (IMO) very likely chance that he does not prove himself worthy of starting for the Bulls, the team is then stuck with a former All-Star who is pissed that he's coming off the bench. That rarely works well. Why would the Bulls take that risk if they feel that's the likely result?
Old 07-27-10, 04:25 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,420
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Yeah, it's not like he is asking to just be given a starter's role. He says that he is willing to earn it.
I read into his words that he is considering himself a starter amongst the rest of their younger guys. Maybe I'm wrong but I also know that it must be tough at the somewhat young age of 31 and being a former superstar to not have teams thinking of you the same way as they once did.
Old 07-27-10, 04:34 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 32,745
Received 363 Likes on 278 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I read into his words that he is considering himself a starter amongst the rest of their younger guys. Maybe I'm wrong but I also know that it must be tough at the somewhat young age of 31 and being a former superstar to not have teams thinking of you the same way as they once did.
As stated before, though, he's going to be behind Korver and Brewer, not a guy like Kobe, so I can kinda understand his mindset, if he can actually still play.

On the other hand, I didn't realize they were building Utah East over there with Rose for Deron and Noah for Okur.
Old 07-27-10, 04:52 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I read into his words that he is considering himself a starter amongst the rest of their younger guys. Maybe I'm wrong but I also know that it must be tough at the somewhat young age of 31 and being a former superstar to not have teams thinking of you the same way as they once did.
He does, but also knows he has to earn it and won't be just given a spot because of his name.

Although I would definitely agree that if he's relegated to the bench, who knows what his attitude would be.
Old 07-27-10, 04:52 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,420
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
As stated before, though, he's going to be behind Korver and Brewer, not a guy like Kobe, so I can kinda understand his mindset, if he can actually still play.

On the other hand, I didn't realize they were building Utah East over there with Rose for Deron and Noah for Okur.
I don't believe that he is planning on playing behind those guys and still sees himself as a frontline guy along with Rose and Boozer. I think in his mind is that now that he is "over" his injuries he is still the all star caliber player that he once was.
Old 07-27-10, 05:01 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,423
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I think in his mind is that now that he is "over" his injuries he is still the all star caliber player that he once was.
He may be right, too.
Old 07-27-10, 05:42 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,587
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by bunnydojo View Post
I don't understand the anger toward McGrady.

Him wanting to take on a large role, looking to shoulder a lot of weight and push through to become a star again is foolish, but Lebron being willing to take on a smaller role to win a championship alongside his friends is also foolish?

This isn't Mark Madsen we're talking about. This is Tracy "13 Points In 35 Seconds" McGrady. His basketball IQ is through the roof and his defensive skills are incredibly underrated. He's a big injury risk, but if it's a choice between having him or not (are the Bulls looking at anyone else?), I'd add him in a second.

The guy is confident in his abilities and wants to make a big contribution to an already strong team. How is that a contemptible attitude? He called Rose the best PG he would have played with and mentioned Boozer's talent. What should he do, say he's willing wash Joakim Noah's undies for a chance to play behind Ronnie Brewer and Kyle Korver?

Very few players of that talent level are willing to come off the bench consistently. If he were, that would increase his value greatly, but you can't criticize a guy just for not being Manu Ginobili.
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't see the big deal about McGrady's comments either. He seems to acknowledge what injuries did to him, but feels he's fully recovered. And that he wants to prove it in training camp.



Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Yeah, it's not like he is asking to just be given a starter's role. He says that he is willing to earn it.
Agreed completely with these fine people.
Old 07-27-10, 05:47 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 1,698
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

From John Hollinger's offseason losers article:


KAAHHHHNNNN!!! OK, had to get that one out. No, nobody is quite sure what the strategy is under Timberwolves general manager David Kahn.

I'd say they're rebuilding, but their big free-agent pickup was a 30-year-old point guard, and they traded their first-round pick for Martell Webster.

I'd say they're focusing on value contracts, but they just gave Darko Milicic a four-year, $20 million deal.

I'd say they're trying to corner the market on point guards, but the league has about 70 of them and the Wolves can hoard only 15 at any one time.

I'd say they're acquiring players who can thrive in coach Kurt Rambis' triangle system, except they're not -- they keep acquiring small pick-and-roll point guards with iffy outside shots.

I'd say they're building around character and discipline, but they traded for Michael Beasley and Milicic.

I'd say they're focused on opportunistic trades, except that they unloaded their best player for 50 cents on the dollar and repeated the exercise with Ramon Sessions.

The only thing I can confidently say is that they'll be terrible again this year, and probably for several years afterward. The Wolves have a rising star in Kevin Love and a couple of other interesting pieces (keep an eye on Euro import Nikola Pekovic), but it's not clear whether they're coming or going right now. I'm not sure they know, either.
Old 07-27-10, 07:04 PM
  #13  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,872
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

All the reports here are McGrady's workout yesterday was unimpressive. He can't explode at all and has very little lift when he does get up in the air.

The problem is he thinks he's still capable of being an all-star, which by all accounts from his work-outs with different teams he's not, so what happens when he's benched and doesn't think he should be.
Old 07-27-10, 07:08 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
All the reports here are McGrady's workout yesterday was unimpressive. He can't explode at all and has very little lift when he does get up in the air.
Sounds like the kind of guy who wouldn't fit in well in the triangle, somebody call Kahn!
Old 07-27-10, 08:55 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 32,745
Received 363 Likes on 278 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Sounds like the kind of guy who wouldn't fit in well in the triangle, somebody call Kahn!
Can he play the point?

Seriously, Kevin Love may be a decent player at this point, but if he's the best player on your team...

And how much is McGrady looking for?
Old 07-27-10, 09:06 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Oh, without a doubt the Wolves will be bottom 3 next year. I'm still OK with that to a point, they need to use their assets to add a piece during the year, then hopefully gets some lottery luck for once. I think Rubio will come the year after, so that's when they need to be ready to make a playoff push.
Old 07-27-10, 11:08 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Doesn't look like Chris Paul is coming to Orlando. And Orlando's window has closed.
Old 07-27-10, 11:18 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

I think Paul will ask for a trade before the deadline. That Hornets team certainly ain't going nowhere and Paul will lose his patience midseason.
Old 07-27-10, 11:42 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,420
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
I think Paul will ask for a trade before the deadline. That Hornets team certainly ain't going nowhere and Paul will lose his patience midseason.
This is what I think. They have a new coach, made zero moves roster wise and can only talk game for so long. If they're spinning their wheels halfway through the year he will likely ask out. They're stuck with that Okafor contract for 4 more years. I also don't truly believe that the owners want to max out their spending and go after other high priced players.
Old 07-28-10, 02:00 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,293
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Holliger is trying way too hard and convienantly ignoring some facts to get his point across. The sad part is, he doesn't have to be dishonest to make it.
they traded their first-round pick for Martell Webster.
They traded ONE of THREE first-round picks. They kept THEIR first-round pick, and used it on Wesley Johnson.

I'd say they're trying to corner the market on point guards, but the league has about 70 of them and the Wolves can hoard only 15 at any one time.
They signed Ridnour. Johnny Flynn just had surgery. Ricky Rubio is still in Europe. Sessions was traded. Are they really so loaded at point guard? This is just lazy writing.

I'd say they're acquiring players who can thrive in coach Kurt Rambis' triangle system, except they're not -- they keep acquiring small pick-and-roll point guards with iffy outside shots.
Beasley, Wesley Johnson, Webster, Pekovic, and Ridnour ... these are their big acquisitions this offseason, and only ONE of them fits this description.

There's plenty to criticize about Kahn's moves without resorting to outright dishonesty.
Old 07-28-10, 07:35 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post

There's plenty to criticize about Kahn's moves without resorting to outright dishonesty.
Exactly.
Old 07-28-10, 10:31 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Under a dead Ohio sky
Posts: 5,820
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
They signed Ridnour. Johnny Flynn just had surgery. Ricky Rubio is still in Europe. Sessions was traded.
Thats the case now but those circumstances didnt exist when they were acquired. They used back to back Lottery picks on Flynn and Rubio then Latter added another PG in Sessions. Minn didnt know Rubio would stay in Europe when they drafted him, if they did that makes drafting him that high even dumber.
Old 07-28-10, 10:46 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Thats the case now but those circumstances didnt exist when they were acquired. They used back to back Lottery picks on Flynn and Rubio then Latter added another PG in Sessions. Minn didnt know Rubio would stay in Europe when they drafted him, if they did that makes drafting him that high even dumber.
They knew he would stay in Europe but they didn't know how long. And yes, they added Sessions when they knew they would need another for the season. They haven't had any more PG than anybody else in the league in Kahn's entire run.

It all got blown out of proportion because the picks they traded later in that draft got used on PGs as well and people are idiots so they say Kahn drafted all these PGs. Now it's just a running joke.
Old 07-28-10, 10:56 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Here's a Kahn criticism/question for you NBA wizards. The trade exception he got for Jefferson is considered pretty valuable I know, but is there a shot it will become completely worthless with the new CBA?
Old 07-28-10, 10:59 AM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBA Off-season thread ptIII

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Here's a Kahn criticism/question for you NBA wizards. The trade exception he got for Jefferson is considered pretty valuable I know, but is there a shot it will become completely worthless with the new CBA?
Not really, because from what I understand he has only a year from the trade to use the exception. So if he was traded in July 20, 2010, then he has until July 20, 2011 to use it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.