The NCAA Conference Expansion Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-03-10, 05:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Figure this could use it's own thread instead of posting the football or basketball off-season threads.

Big news today is

Moutain west may grab Boise St

and the bigger news

The Pac 10 is set to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado

I can't see Texas making the jump without a network already in place and generating money.
Old 06-03-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts
Re: The NCAA Conference Expansion Thread

The greed for something that is essentially non-profit is astounding.

That being said, it would be good for Boise to be wrapped into a league with the likes of Utah and BYU. It would simplify matters.

As for the Pac-10, it would be a shame since they are the one big conference left where everyone plays each other in football and does a full round-robin in basketball.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-03-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 795 Likes on 561 Posts

Uhhh, I don't want to be in a football division with the Texas and Oklahoma schools.
Old 06-03-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If know it dose not make any financial sence, but bring back the SWC
Old 06-03-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Arizona schools would really be screwed by that expansion. Not only would they be playing the Texas and Oklahoma schools every year, but they would lose their yearly trips to LA which is huge for recruiting.
Old 06-03-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 795 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
The Arizona schools would really be screwed by that expansion. Not only would they be playing the Texas and Oklahoma schools every year, but they would lose their yearly trips to LA which is huge for recruiting.
Not only that, but quite a few fans from both UofA and ASU travel to Cali because it's close enough. Not so much about Texas and Oklahoma.
Old 06-03-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The only thing I hope for is we eventually get 4 mega conferences, and that will finally give us a College Football playoff. You would have 4 - 16 team conferences, where each conference has a Championship game in December like the SEC, ACC and Big 12 do now. Then you would have the 4 conference champions play in a 2 week tournament.

It isn't a perfect playoff system, but it would alleviate any undefeated teams getting shut out of the National Championship game.
Old 06-03-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

You're never going to get that. Let's say you had 4 such conferences....the Pac-whatever, Big-whatever, and SEC wouldn't think whatever hodgepodge of eastern/mid-atlantic schools that make up the other 16 are worthy.

The irony is that they are just poaching from one another. They're still shutting out the Utahs, BYUs, Boises of the world. They'll probably draw even more scrutiny from Congress and subject themselves to lawsuits.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-04-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-04-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post

I can't see Texas making the jump without a network already in place and generating money.

Lots of rumors that a Network created by the Fox is all but ready to go and offer 20 million per team.
Old 06-04-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am sure the Pac-10 would figure out someway to get the Arizona schools into California..not only that but that opens up Texas to Arizona for recruiting.
Old 06-04-10, 02:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Big Ten expansion: E-mails hint eyes are upon Texas
OSU's Gee says UT president 'would welcome a call'
Friday, June 4, 2010 02:54 AM
By Bill Rabinowitz

A decision about expanding the Big Ten might be months away, but e-mail conversations indicate that the University of Texas is an object of the conference's attention. And the school's athletic director isn't making a commitment to stay in the Big 12.

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e-mail to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on April 20 saying that he had spoken with Texas President William Powers.

"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail that was among several obtained by The Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals.

Texas Tech is one of Texas' rivals in the Big 12 conference. Ohio State officials declined a Dispatch request to explain the "Tech" problem.

"Public record laws do not require us to provide further clarification on meaning," OSU spokeswoman Amy Murray said in an e-mail. "While a few of the e-mails are cryptic, we aren't obliged to provide additional explanation."

Although speculation about the Big Ten's interest in Texas has been widespread in the 51/2 months since the conference announced it would consider expansion, the e-mail is rare evidence of communication between the school and a high-ranking Big Ten representative.

Texas and Texas Tech are two of three state-sponsored schools from Texas in the Big 12. The other is Texas A&M.

Texas and Texas A&M are members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious alliance of research-minded universities. Texas Tech is not. The Big Ten has made it clear that AAU membership is important for prospective members, with Notre Dame an exception because of its excellent academic reputation.

Although Texas Tech has had athletic success in recent years, it is considered a notch below Texas and Texas A&M athletically. After last season, Texas Tech endured an ugly firing of successful football coach Mike Leach amid allegations that he mistreated players.

Don Hale, Texas' vice president for public affairs, said he did not think the three Texas schools had a legal commitment to be in the same conference. But he said the Texas Legislature may apply pressure for that to happen.

"I think it's a political issue," he said yesterday. "Because they're state institutions, I think the concern is that one can't move without the others."

Shortly after Hale's comment, Rivals.com reported that multiple sources indicated that the Pacific-10 is prepared to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league.

Gee's initial e-mail to Delany on April 19 said that he is "of the mind that we control our destiny at the moment, but the window will soon close on us. Agility and swiftness of foot is our friend."

That e-mail was a day after Delany addressed the Association of American Universities meetings in Washington, D.C. Expansion was expected to have been on the agenda.

In the same e-mail, Gee commended Delany on his "brilliant presentation."

Minutes after Gee sent the e-mail, Delany replied with a thank-you note.

"We are fast-tracking it but need to know the $ and observe contracts," Delany wrote. "Also need to make sure we leverage this to increase chances of hr additions. Finally double chess # of moving parts including not harming brand as we executy."

In baseball, HR means home run. In the Big Ten, the addition of Texas would certainly qualify. The Longhorns have the only college athletic program that earns more revenue than Ohio State. Texas' revenue for the 2008-2009 school year was $138.4 million, nearly $20million more than Ohio State.

The Longhorns have elite football and basketball programs, and Texas is considered a top-tier academic institution.

For Texas A&M, the allure of the Big Ten would be largely financial. The Big Ten Network has become a cash cow for member teams. Four years ago, Texas A&M's athletic programs were in such dire financial shape that the university loaned it $16 million.

Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds did not douse speculation that the Longhorns could be leaving their conference when he spoke Wednesday at the Big 12 conference meetings in Kansas City.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe opened the meeting with a plea for the league members to stay together. But Dodds, whose school also could be a target for the Southeastern and Pacific-10 conferences, would not commit to that.

"You've known me for very long; I am not hanging back," Dodds said, according to the Associated Press. "I'm not waiting to see what other people are going to do. I'm going to know what our options are, so that's not going to change. My hope is that the Big 12 survives and you and I retire knowing it's a great conference. It's been very viable, and if it stays in place, it will continue to be very viable."

Dodds said Texas didn't start the talk about its possible departure from the Big 12.

"If we need to finish it, we'll finish it," he said. "We're going to be a player in whatever happens."
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101
Old 06-04-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it's comical that these Big Ten institutions are so concerned about the academic reputations of members that co-exist solely for the purpose of athletics and generating revenue. It's not like you're the Ivy League, or even Patriot League.
Old 06-04-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lot of speculation on the A&M boards that A&M and OU might be interested in bolting for the SEC. I can't see Texas following though which would make things interesting. Going to the Big 10 makes no sense other than for anything other than $$$. The Pac-10 is apparently the most likely destination for the three Texas teams from everything I've heard.

It also sounds like the Texas legislature could block any move by Texas or A&M if they chose to. No idea if that would happen, but I guess the threat is out there.
Old 06-04-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I am sure the Pac-10 would figure out someway to get the Arizona schools into California..not only that but that opens up Texas to Arizona for recruiting.
They'll just join the rest of California and boycott Arizona altogether.
Old 06-04-10, 06:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

It'll be interesting to see what happens to KU in all of this. Will they join some amalgamation of the rest of the Big 12 teams with TCU, Boise, BYU, and others.
Old 06-04-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah they would probably end up joining with some of the better MWC programs, and maybe throw in a school or two like Memphis and UAB.
Old 06-05-10, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens to KU in all of this. Will they join some amalgamation of the rest of the Big 12 teams with TCU, Boise, BYU, and others.
Maybe Kansas can hope that A&M does go to the SEC, which means the Pac-10 would then choose either Utah or Kansas.
Old 06-05-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Maybe Kansas can hope that A&M does go to the SEC, which means the Pac-10 would then choose either Utah or Kansas.
KU will have the same problem as a Texas public school....they can't go anywhere w/o KSU.

If KU, KSU, and Baylor, as leftovers, were to join Utah, BYU, New Mexico, etc., that would actually be a very good basketball conference.
Old 06-05-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If know it dose not make any financial sence, but bring back the SWC
That would actually be nice. Take the Texas and OK colleges, throw in Kansas and K State, Colorado, and Utah. No, it makes too much sense geographically. What else says "Pac" like Texas?

BTW, if the Big Ten expands by 5 more teams, they'll have 10 - in a hexadecimal sense of course.
Old 06-05-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

we'll see if anything actually pans out from all the talk and rumors
but if it leads to the big10 and pac10 actually having enough teams to play a conference championship game
Old 06-05-10, 10:34 AM

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
we'll see if anything actually pans out from all the talk and rumors
but if it leads to the big10 and pac10 actually having enough teams to play a conference championship game
As long as tOSU doesn't give up a home game, I really don't care what happens. And since they are one of the two biggest cash cows in college sports, I doubt they will have to.

Somewhat hard to imagine both cows in the same conference though.
Old 06-05-10, 12:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...2-schools.html

"This is all about dollars," said Gary Sherrer, vice chairman of the Kansas Board of Regents. "Frankly, I think some of those institutions should be embarrassed that that is the message they are delivering. It says we'll do anything for a buck, and when you send that message to the students, why are we surprised that they do things that we don't approve of to get a buck."
And if someone wanted to share those dollars with either of your schools you'd be singing a different tune
Old 06-05-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I think it's comical that these Big Ten institutions are so concerned about the academic reputations of members that co-exist solely for the purpose of athletics and generating revenue. It's not like you're the Ivy League, or even Patriot League.
If the BigTen was honestly concerned about academics - they wouldn't be toying w/ the idea of inviting Mizzou and Nebraska in the first place.
Old 06-05-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Appears that Kansas is tethered to KSU:

Another bit of speculation Perkins addressed Friday afternoon involved KU’s connection to Kansas State, something many have wondered about considering the fact that both schools could be forced to find a new conference to call home in the near future if the Rivals.com report turns out to be true.

“This is something that K-State and we have spent considerable time working on,” Perkins said. “And I know we both look forward to being together for a long time.”
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/04/ku-ad-co mments-big-12-meetings/
Old 06-05-10, 06:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The fact that Kansas football is mediocre at best and they don't add a major market for TV hurts them much more than being tethered to KSU

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.