Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Dishonor

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Dishonor

Old 06-12-10, 03:08 PM
Banned

Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Disho

ONE MAN'S TAKE ON THE DANIEL BRYAN SITUATION
By Dave Scherer on 2010-06-12 10:45:51
Unless you were completely off of the grid in the last 12 hours, you know by now that Bryan "Daniel Bryan" Danielson was released by WWE last night. According to numerous WWE sources, the firing is legitimate and they are being told to move forward as if Bryan is gone (even to the point that he is now edited out of most of the footage from the NXT attack that happened on last Monday's Raw).

The reason we have been told for the company releasing of one of the most talented performers in the business is that he choked Justin Roberts on the show (and damn, don't I remember Heath Slater trying to do the same thing to John Cena with the ring ropes during the same angle).

Danielson's heinous offense was so egregious that he was fired, not given a warning or guidance to that fact that even though he has wrestled all over the world, things here in PGWWE, where the company matriarch is trying to become a US Senator, are just a tad did different thank everywhere else you have been. You may be used to pro wrestling, where things are supposed to look realistic, but this is PGWWE, where we don't know the difference between the actors who play characters in The A Team movie and the people themselves.

And Bryan, don't give us that "You didn't know it wasn't OK to get physical" line of BS either. WWE is not a wrestling promotion friend, they make movies. They entertain. Clearly, what you did to Roberts wasn't entertaining to kids, I guess. And don't even tell me that you saw a Raw recently where Edge snuck up on Randy Orton and bashed him with a door. That's OK because everyone knows that a tie is much more deadly than a door. Certain felonies are perfectly acceptable in WWE but others aren't, got it? Me either.

What makes matters worse is that Danielson was a major cog in the best angle that WWE has done in years, and I mean many years. He was a guy who came into WWE with all of his fans skeptical of how he would be used and instead he quickly became THE star of NXT. We all knew he could work, but damn he also showed the world that he could do promos and show great personality too. Now, if WWE.com is to be believed he is gone, and he will probably take a lot of the joy of that great angle with him.

Of course, where WWE is concerned I am always skeptical. At first, I had hoped that this was just part of an angle to further the NXT invasion. Perhaps it still is, but given that they posted the news on their website near midnight on a Friday, which is the black hole for companies to release news that they want read by the fewest amount of people, I don't think that will be the case.

Then I wondered it perhaps he kicked Superman Cena too hard in the head (you know because in wrestling it's OK for some people to get hurt but not others). If that turns out to be the case, and again I am just wondering because WWE doesn't feel that its "Universe" deserves explanations to important things related to the company, then there will be a lot of skewerings of WWE and/or Cena coming in the near future.

Given that the company worked most of its employees as to what was going to happen at the end of Raw on Monday, we can hold out hope that this is an elaborate ruse, one that will impugn what credibility WWE.com has left but that doesn't really matter. Perhaps it's the next step in the nWo shoot style angle that began on Monday. If that is the case, it's fine by me. WWE.com isn't exactly the site I go to when I am looking for the straight dope on WWE anyway.

But if that is not the case and Bryan has been let go for, in effect, being a pro wrestler, then this company has completely gone off of the rails and Vince McMahon can look forward to more conference calls where he has to try and explain dipping ratings and dropping PPV buyrates to concerned stockholders. If that is the case, here's a hint Vince. Before the call, go into the bathroom and stand in front of the mirror. The answer will be looking back at you.
http://www.pwinsider.com/article/482...tion-.html?p=1
Old 06-12-10, 05:33 PM

Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Disho

This will go down in history as one of the lamest and stupidest moves in WWE history ... heck, in pro wrestling history!!! Talk about a double-standard! I think my days as a WWE fan are coming to an end.
Old 06-12-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will be interesting to see if they edit Danielson completely out of tonights Raw replay on Universal HD.
Old 06-12-10, 05:55 PM

The WWE product is evidently aimed at 5 year olds now.
Old 06-12-10, 06:07 PM

A few examples of recent WWE incidents that are far, far worse that Bryan choking someone with a pink tie:

*Batista running over Cena with a car, and then Batista getting an F-U on top of the car! Wouldn't this be classified as attempted vehicular manslaughter and assault in the real world?

*Randy Orton handcuffing HHH to the ring ropes, beating the hell out of him and making out with HHH's wife in front of him. Holding someone against their will and sexually assaulting his wife in front of 15,000 fans ... yeah, that's not going to land someone in jail!

*HHH home-invading Orton's house and beating the crap out of him and destroying private property. Why didn't they fire HHH on the spot ... haha.

The list goes on and on ... yet, Bryan Danielson gets screwed. Where's Bret Hart when we need him???
Old 06-12-10, 06:10 PM
Banned

You remember that last Monday and Tuesday we were talking about our hopes of Vince not screwing up this great angle. Well, he just screw this.
Old 06-12-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sammy Banderas View Post
A few examples of recent WWE incidents that are far, far worse that Bryan choking someone with a pink tie:

*Batista running over Cena with a car, and then Batista getting an F-U on top of the car! Wouldn't this be classified as attempted vehicular manslaughter and assault in the real world?

*Randy Orton handcuffing HHH to the ring ropes, beating the hell out of him and making out with HHH's wife in front of him. Holding someone against their will and sexually assaulting his wife in front of 15,000 fans ... yeah, that's not going to land someone in jail!

*HHH home-invading Orton's house and beating the crap out of him and destroying private property. Why didn't they fire HHH on the spot ... haha.

The list goes on and on ... yet, Bryan Danielson gets screwed. Where's Bret Hart when we need him???
I wouldnt be surprised if this release is really a case of somebody being released for an on-air action, and not someone with a big ego, like HHH for example, taking offense at a lesser guy getting a large push with the company very quickly?

I pretty much gave up on Raw over the last month, but I did turn last weeks episode on and caught the ending. I had no idea what was going on but it was pretty awesome. The fact that they fucked it up in under a week is amazing.
Old 06-12-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another awesome very well done hype video for the roh ppv that "That Wreslting Show" does
Old 06-12-10, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy Banderas View Post

Those incidents were from the TV-PG era. Vince is going TV-Y7 now.
Old 06-12-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As with many, I pray and hope this is all just a giant work and I'm missing the punchline so to speak. If not, they might have just lost a fan for life. I'm not even sure that words can express my utter disgust for the WWE right now in light of this firing of Danielson.

Danielson performed well in the NXT angle on Monday night and he got the performance over in large part to what he did period. The choking of the tie or the spitting or whatever just made it that much more believable. They could have done wonders with this and now the angle is already dead to me.

TNA or ROH will gladly take him with open arms but a tiny part just hopes this is all just a swerve on the fans so he can succeed on the biggest stage. Because if its not, I'm going to miss the few guys left that I do still enjoy on WWE programming ala CM Punk, Matt Hardy, etc.

In the meantime, Fuck you WWE, Fuck You.
Old 06-12-10, 11:23 PM

On a much lighter note, is anyone looking forward to tomorrow's TNA ppv? I finished watching IMPACT. Not a bad show. I tell you, I never have to fast forward through anything. Even the crappy moments are worth sitting through ... well, except for Orlando Jordan ... haha.

I have to admit I'm really enjoying this new crazed Sting! His "serious" promos on IMPACT were really cool and it makes me look forward to him finally revealing the method to his madness. Oh yeah, hearing Sting call RVD "Robbie" was pretty funny!

Hernandez came back pretty jacked up from Mexico! Nice to see Morgan get what he deserved.

And about Dixie's big surprise on Sunday ... nothing was mentioned on IMPACT about some kind of big revelation. So I wonder if there's something to all those "tweets" of hers. All I know is they better layoff on working the IWC ... it has been a traumatic 24 hours for all of us ... haha.
Old 06-13-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

my god i laughed so hard at this
Old 06-13-10, 01:58 AM

From Jim Ross' latest blog regarding the release of Bryan Danielson:

"I was surprised to get up Saturday morning and to read that Daniel Bryan or Bryan Danielson had been released from WWE. I am not sure of the exact circumstances and until that information is confirmed it's hard to make any definitive comments. Bryan is a talented wrestler who is not going to have any trouble finding work. His in ring style is unique, the young man has certainly paid his 'dues,' what ever that means now days, and he's arguably the most talked about performer on NXT. Certainly Bryan leaves WWE with momentum and with more fans knowing his name than at any point in his career. Plus, who is to say that Bryan will never return to WWE? There may be a great deal more to this matter than any of us know or, honestly, need to know at this time."
Old 06-13-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here is the petition to bring Danielson back

http://www.petitiononline.com/bdaniels/petition.html
Old 06-13-10, 08:06 AM

If someone wants to get WWE's attention, they shouldn't waste their time with a petition. They should set up a website aimed at wrestling fans to raise money for Linda McMahon's opponent.
Old 06-13-10, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
here is the petition to bring Danielson back

http://www.petitiononline.com/bdaniels/petition.html
*signed*, I love petitions but I'm not sure this one will do that much good.

On the website note, that would take some serious clout; but I'd be all for it. WWE has turned a wrestling organization in a kiddy choreographed dance-off competition ever since Linda started her campaign. I have no problem with trying to tone down some of the violence for the sake of the wrestlers. But when you do it for the sake of somebody's political career, it's a joke.
Old 06-13-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Partial source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

- Word is that someone outside of WWE with a lot of power made a complaint to Vince McMahon about Bryan choking Justin Roberts with his own tie on RAW because a scene like that was too violent for WWE. The belief among some if that in that incident, Bryan broke a company protocol that was put in place after the Chris Benoit tragedy that no talents were to use ropes or other objects to choke opponents. Obviously this has been done other times since the Benoit tragedy but the feeling is that it was this particular angle with Bryan and Roberts that got someone powerful enough to complain.

The footage of Bryan choking Roberts was edited off replays as was the footage of him spitting on John Cena. As of late last night, the footage of Bryan choking Roberts was still on WWE's YouTube page but it has since been removed.

Who exactly made the complaint isn't known yet but it had to be someone with a lot of influence to get a name like Danielson released. There's speculation that it could be anyone from Mattel to people in Linda McMahon's Senate campaign. Vince McMahon called WWE's partnership with Mattel a game-changer and it's possible that we're really seeing Mattel's influence now. It's important to note that Mattel making the complaint is not confirmed.
Ive had problems with WWE for a while now, but I think this may be it. I used to watch all the time, but I started trailing off around the time Lita left, and John Morrison dropped the ECW title. I just couldn't find anything to keep my interest anymore.

I also started watching MMA more, which I know if an unfair comparison.

Last week, with no competing shows to watch I gave RAW a chance again, and was greatly impressed with the NXT angle.

But now this is happened, and I wonder if I have just outgrown the product.
Old 06-13-10, 09:54 AM

I really miss the attitude era. This fucking PG thing the WWE is doing is shit.

I guess choking someone with a tie is worse than getting hit in the head with a hammer or a chair or having someone put your neck on the ropes and then have someone's foot choke you into it.

Who cares if they're bleeding? It's wrestling! The Rey Mysterio/CM Punk match is a perfect example. CM Punk was pissed when the match was stalled for 5 minutes so they could clean up the blood on his face. He just said fuck it and got the momentum back in the match. I don't think any of the wrestlers are happy about this.
Old 06-13-10, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by nateman View Post
I really miss the attitude era. This fucking PG thing the WWE is doing is shit.

I don't think any of the wrestlers are happy about this.
And therein lies the problem. With the monopoly Vince holds on the wrestling business (he really needs to give it a rest with "sports entertainment"), he can do whatever he wants. If he feels he has to tone things down for Linda's campaign run or whatever, he'll do it. If a supposed outsider (source of revenue) complains, Vince will do what they want. If a wrestler/wrestlers complain about something, Vince will drop them and then, if they want back in, hire them (probably at a much more discounted rate than before). Sure, some can say "smart business", but to me, he's just ruining wrestling. The kids too young to know/remember 10+ years ago in the attitude era (and that grew up on this crap) will still tune in. Many folks, because wrestling has been a part of their lives, will continue to tune in. But, as much as I was kind of starting to be pulled back in, and regardless of the fact that all the Monday night shows are gone and there's no hockey either, I'm out. I think I may try to give TNA another chance just to give Vince some legit competition. I wish 1) TNA had a better product, 2) more people that complain here would drop WWE and pick up TNA. Maybe TNA would elevate their game if they saw a legitimate boost in ratings.

I also like how people are saying this is a reaction by someone outside the WWE to the Benoit thing. That happened almost 3 years ago! Like was mentioned earlier, Shawn was using the CC in his matches for a while now, much closer the the Benoit event than this tie choke was. It's just an excuse. Honestly, if someone that holds clout within or over the WWE wants to change something, it appears all they have to do is make a frivolous claim and Vince will take action.

Can you imagine if Linda wins the race? Fans would be doomed to even more of the crap WWE is churning out. I think Roper's right; a fund for Linda's opponent should be started; grass roots campaigns in CT need to be made to get people out there and voting against Linda because whether this is all related or the world's worst coincidence, this type of decision has to stop.
Old 06-13-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with everything you said, Shamus, except for the part about TNA. If you don't like the product, don't watch. If they have a boost in ratings, why would they think they need to change anything?

Like any soap opera, wrestling is tough to drop, but once you do you realize you can pick it up again "when it gets good again" without missing much. It's not like there's a ton of lasting continuity.
Old 06-13-10, 02:17 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This really sucks I hope Danielson just goes to TNA or back to ROH. WWE just fucked this angle up big time. So now will the NXT faction come out holding flowers and hand them to the fans at ring side. Screw you Vince for fucking up another great angle.
Old 06-13-10, 02:47 PM

Here's the thing that pisses me off beyond almost anything-the absolute hypocracy of Vince McMahon, and for what? What really is the end game of Linda getting into office? Is this Vince trying to make up to his wife for all the haneous things he has done in his life (Jim Rome voice-"allegedly").

Has to be, b/c the WWF/WWE has come under worse fire in the past, and Vince has almost rageted up the fire even more in a big giant "F U" to anyone that would critisize the product.

And as for the WWE product having to be marketed to children, I call bullshit on that too for a very good reason. The WWE product is completely shown in prime time, and in RAW and NXT's case, after 9 pm, well after that supposed demographic should be unavaiable. And if u want to tell me the product was much different when the majority of their programmign was on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I would agree with you up to one major angle I was pissed off at at the time and right now am even more infuriated by-the Jake the Snake/Randy Savage cobra angle. I was 16ish at the time, fully aware that pro wrestling was "entertainment." And when Randy was "bitten" by the cobra, is was pointed out to me and was obvious that the snake was defanged and most definitely drained of all venom. But in the angle, they had the snake biting Randy for like 5 minutes, with "blood" running down Randy's arm, and the camera angles were going back and forth between the ring and children scared out of their wits in the crowd. That was entertainment for CHILDREN!?!

In this day and age in this enconomy, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. You just cant. I am a huge sports fan, have always followed wrestling (at times, harder than others), consider myself a huge UFC fan. Now I wont front and say UFC doesnt have its problems, that they arent coming close to running their product a little thin and turning their nose up at any close competitor (WWE vs TNA; UFC vs Strikeforce). But at least when I watch a UFC show, I know that the people behind it are acting in good faith, and I know that if something happens against the fans best interest, the head of the organisation will come out front as quickly as possible and address it (case in point-Anderson Silva's last fight and Dana White's immediate reaction to it). The McMahon family is out for the McMahon family's interests ONLY. Period.

Lastly, I dont think McMahon had any idea what to do with Bryan Danielson from jump street. Bryan Danielson got over on his own accord and b/c someone had the guts to give him a mic. I dont think Vince would have ever given Bryan Danielson any significant push b/c of his lack of size, the fact that Vince didnt create him, and the fact that there is a pecking order in the WWE and that the T-Shirt and mask sales come first. And some1 gave Vince the ammo to fire the only new, interesting character on PGWWE TV.

(golf clap)
Old 06-13-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An article stated that an "outside party with huge influence" on the company threw a fit over the angle where Bryan was choking Roberts and then spitting on Cena.

My guess is this "huge influence" is either Linda's campaign party or Mattel toys. I don't think Jakks had that much influence over WWE during the time they were contracted with them, so i'm surprised that WWE has to really tone down their product because of Mattel. Aren't their age group like 5 years of age and over?

I hate how Vince now has to satisfy the outside party on how to run his company. That's what sucks about going public for any type of company, you have less control. In WWE's case sponsors are now telling them how they should run the company, and if it's they dislike it they would be pull out.

Last edited by sg2386; 06-13-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-13-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been a huge wrestling fan for 18 years, since I was 5. I've never gone too deep into the indies though, over the last year I've been digging more into them but still have a lot to discover. Looks like thats going to change because WWE and Vince McMahon are fucking up everything endlessly and I've never been more sick and tired of having some good product get totally fucked over in wrestling than I currently am. Its one bullshit thing after another.
Old 06-13-10, 05:06 PM

Like someone said earlier, it's time to give TNA another chance to succeed. I'm quite entertained by their current product. Is it perfect? Of course not. But there's enough good and interesting stuff that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time with TNA. Maybe the powers that be over at TNA are keeping a close eye on this Bryan Danielson situation, knowing full well this is the opening they need to gain new fans and win over jaded WWE viewers. The time to strike is now!!!

Speaking of the indies, how does one go about watching ROH (online, tv show, etc)?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.