Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Dishonor

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Dishonor

Old 06-21-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Disho

I thought the Great Khali was taking some time off. Is he so valuable that the WWE can't give him time off?
Old 06-21-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: WWE/TNA/ROH June Wrestling thread, Fatal 4 Way, Slammiversery, Death Before Disho

I love the Daniel Bryan chants.
Old 06-21-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need the NXT to take a page from the NWO and lay out Seamus then instead of black paint write NXT using spray tan. And this is getting tiresome that nobody in the back is coming out to help when they are 7 on 1 on somebody even Vince.
Old 06-21-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
I love the Daniel Bryan chants.
This.

The only things I enjoyed was the jericho/bourne match and the promo between miz and orton. The whole "anonymous" GM was stupid and pointless. Im surprised no matches were announced for the next ppv yet. Usually they waste no time setting them up.
Old 06-21-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Axeramm View Post
Need the NXT to take a page from the NWO and lay out Seamus then instead of black paint write NXT using spray tan. And this is getting tiresome that nobody in the back is coming out to help when they are 7 on 1 on somebody even Vince.
Maybe no one comes out because they're usually attacking Cena? I'd leave his sorry ass out there, too.
Old 06-21-10, 10:22 PM
Mok

I kind of hated that Vince was revealed as the one behind the NXT attacks. How can Lawler and Cole feel remorse for Vince after what he had done to them and the rest of the crew.
Old 06-21-10, 11:01 PM
Banned

I just read the Raw reports and went over the DVR and WWE, mainly Vince just shitted on what could have been a great angle. Something that could have been so simple was made hard and convoluted by Vince and his monkey. For those who still defend WWE and Vince, explain me this:

-What is the plan they have with Ted Dibiase? Maryse is really hot, but I don't see her as an upgrade for Virgil at all.
- Vince behind the NXT crew attacks? That didn't make any sense and much less after he was beaten. I'm not going to even try and see what logic they use for that botched angle.
- The anonimous GM who sents emails to Michael cole has to be the most stupid thing since Vince Russo and "the powers that be" in WCW.
- The WWE guys got the snot beat out of them yesterday and yet no one came to Cena's rescue for the second time in less than a month.
-Orton got injured doing the retarded punching the mat crap, yet he still does it again even though it looks really retarded.
-More retarded looks Edge doing the same swarmy shit Orton did 5 seconds before him.
- Miz vs Orton? Why? Now Miz is going to get buried again because he just lost steam from what could have been an incredible feud with Daniel Bryan.
- The Mr McMahon character jumped the shark a long time ago. They should have put him to rest after he was beaten by Bret Hart. Why come back in this stupid role again?

By the way, I read that the plan for the puppeteer of NXT was supposed to be Chris Jericho, but he is being punished by Vince because he missed a house show due to a taping of the Downfall show on ABC. If that rumor is true, then Vince is just an asshole. Jericho is the best performer in the company. Right now, Triple H is missing time due to him filming a movie that Batista was supposed to star in. Will Triple H be punished for missing time in the ring? Hell no!

My wish is TNA put their shit together and create a real competion to WWE. This crap Vince has been feeding the masses since the end of WCW has just been mediocre, uninspired shit. One blown angle after the other. This has to stop for the sake of the business and its fans.
Old 06-21-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
I just read the Raw reports and went over the DVR and WWE, mainly Vince just shitted on what could have been a great angle. Something that could have been so simple was made hard and convoluted by Vince and his monkey. For those who still defend WWE and Vince, explain me this:

-What is the plan they have with Ted Dibiase? Maryse is really hot, but I don't see her as an upgrade for Virgil at all.
- Vince behind the NXT crew attacks? That didn't make any sense and much less after he was beaten. I'm not going to even try and see what logic they use for that botched angle.
- The anonimous GM who sents emails to Michael cole has to be the most stupid thing since Vince Russo and "the powers that be" in WCW.
- The WWE guys got the snot beat out of them yesterday and yet no one came to Cena's rescue for the second time in less than a month.
-Orton got injured doing the retarded punching the mat crap, yet he still does it again even though it looks really retarded.
-More retarded looks Edge doing the same swarmy shit Orton did 5 seconds before him.
- Miz vs Orton? Why? Now Miz is going to get buried again because he just lost steam from what could have been an incredible feud with Daniel Bryan.
- The Mr McMahon character jumped the shark a long time ago. They should have put him to rest after he was beaten by Bret Hart. Why come back in this stupid role again?

By the way, I read that the plan for the puppeteer of NXT was supposed to be Chris Jericho, but he is being punished by Vince because he missed a house show due to a taping of the Downfall show on ABC. If that rumor is true, then Vince is just an asshole. Jericho is the best performer in the company. Right now, Triple H is missing time due to him filming a movie that Batista was supposed to star in. Will Triple H be punished for missing time in the ring? Hell no!

My wish is TNA put their shit together and create a real competion to WWE. This crap Vince has been feeding the masses since the end of WCW has just been mediocre, uninspired shit. One blown angle after the other. This has to stop for the sake of the business and its fans.
Damn...I would have loved to see Jericho as the mastermind/spokesperson for the NXT gang. One of the few people in WWE and TNA whose promos I bother to watch.
Old 06-22-10, 01:16 AM

I have a feeling the anonymous GM is actually Skynet.
Old 06-22-10, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DX, don't take this the wrong way, but reading this post sort of makes it clear to me why WWE really doesn't care what they deem "the internet fan" has to say. Half the stuff you're running down JUST STARTED. It's like WWE can't do right, regardless of what they may try to do, even if they try. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in love with everything I saw, but let me try and provide counters to some of your points.

I disagree. Virgil is old, tired, and played. He was the shit in the 80s, and a good chunk of the 90s, but now his whole gimmick is stale to me. Dibiase is mimicking his fathers gimmick, yes, but he should make it different enough to transition into his own man. If Maryse is used in the way valets used to be used (and not the way the tagteam valets have been used for the last few years), Maryse could be a great addition to Dibiase's whole gimmick. The only thing I didn't like about this was it's automatically made clear that Dibiase is fucking her ("as you can see, I have better things to do"), which I don't think is as effective as Ted aligning with her because she can help him get things done. They can of course suggest there is a relationship there, but I like it best when the valet and the wrestler are on equal footing.

I don't see things this way. Vince insinuated that he was behind the NXT stuff, but the beat down should clearly show that the NXT guys only used him, if there was an allegiance at all, and are still a group out there on their own. This angle is still too new to be "botched". They still came away looking great last night, if you ask me.

The mystery man is a tried and true staple of wrestling, so that I'm ok with, but I do agree that the emailing thing was pretty dumb. I would have rather seen the GM work through someone else, instead of the emails going to Cole. That was a bit silly. Didn't ruin the show for me though.

I would be better with this, if folks didn't come to his aid last week. Is WWE united in its anti-NXT-ness or not? Valid complaint here, which is why after the first attack, the beat downs should have been happening in parking lots and stuff.

People get injured in wrestling all the time. I'm not a fan of his pre-RKO moves (he looks like he's having fits), but that's part of his character. The crowd gets into it, so who are you or I to say it isn't effective?

Not going to lie, I thought the same thing. Are these guys in a competition to see who can make the weirdest faces?

This, I think, is your silliest point. I've seen you, in these very threads, talk about how WWE needs to elevate people, right? Well, to me, having Miz mix it up with WWE's second biggest act right now, and come away looking pretty good, seems like a great way to do that. 5 months ago, I would have thought Miz looked out of place in the ring with Orton, now? Not so much. So what's the problem? Is he going to beat Orton? Probably not, nor should he. And maybe you're right. Maybe Miz will get buried, but maybe not. It seems ridiculous to run down an angle after the very first show it's introduced in, especially one that seems to have promise.

Daniel Brian is gone (for now). That is what it is, so Miz has to do something, and feuding with Orton is a great vertical move if you ask me.

I don't disagree, but you know why. WWE is his company, so he can do what he wants. I will say, though, that for all Vince's faults (and they are legion), he still is one of the biggest stars in wrestling, as an act, so using himself does make some sense. I mean, we're conditioned, as viewers of WWE, to think that when Vince is on TV, something important is going to happen. Especially, when he comes on TV sporadically like he has been post-wrestlemania, and not week after week.

I agree with you on TNA, but not the rest. TNA could be 5 times better than it is now, which is a shame, because competition would be a wonderful thing to have again. However, what you need to do is speak for yourself when it comes to what needs to stop. Why? Because you need to realize, first, is that the WWE mainline product isn't really for you and I, the long term wrestling fan, anymore. There are things in there for use to enjoy (Taker-Michael and Miz jump to mind), but it's not targeted at us. So when you complain, it's sort of like saying this cartoon isn't mature enough for me. I only say that, because of the tons of kids and teens who LOVE the product now. They LOVE Cena. How is that wrong?

Wrestling is cyclical, just like the music business is, and we've looped back into the 80s. Cena = Hulk Hogan. That much is clear. The only difference is the anti-Cena folks are louder than the anti-Hogan people ever were.

The only thing I wish Cena would do, would be to tune down his corniness. There is a group of people that are going to hate him no matter what he does now because they thing it's cool to pay money to go boo him, but for the rest of us, if he would just calm down a bit, I think his whole act would be much easier to swallow. I like him best when he's doing that "I will never quit" type of inspirational promo, and not when he's making jokes, or dancing around the ring. But I understand why he does that. It appeals to kids, which is cool, I just think there are some things that can be done to Cena's character that would make him appeal to the adult fans a bit more than he currently does.

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-22-10 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, Jericho's show, "Downfall," starts tonight on ABC.
Old 06-22-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Welp, even though boredsilly beat me to the punch, I thought I would throw in my own smarmy answers

Maryse is hot and has the potential to work as a good female manager for Ted. Instant upgrade. Virgil, I miss his work, but more often than not you just felt sorry for him. I have a feeling eventually Ted will get screwed over (in a bad way) by Maryse and he'll turn face. I also see a mid card title run for him (U.S. champ) in the next year.
The NXT crew wanted to him to think he was behind the attacks when in reality he wasn't. There is somebody even more sinister at the top of this chain. That's the logic. The NXT crew just used him to get what they wants and then disposed of him. Far from a botched angle (though it is certainly possible they could botch this angle).

The email part? Absolutely stupid. But I am a little intrigued to see who it ends up being. A little part of me wants it to eventually be Bryan Danielson, but I know its a long shot.

Cena doesn't exactly have friends, he's always been shown to be a loner and overcome impossible odds.

The punching the mat crap was a complete rumor, the injury happened during the match. It doesn't look retarded either, it's called psyching yourself up. See Rock's Elbow, Austin's Stunner, Batista's Demon Bomb, etc. And Miz won't get buried, he's actually been doing pretty well. If anything, this is a bit of a rub for him. We'll just have to see what happens.
Cause it puts the NXT roster over. What possible way could NXT get more over than by punking out the owner of the company? I would imagine McMahon fades away back behind the curtain after this, so I'm okay with it.

Don't believe the hype. If that was the case, Jericho would have lost on Raw. Jericho has always been an amazing competitor willing to put over just about anybody (see Heath Slater, Evan Bourne). I'm sure Vince gave Jericho his full blessing to go host this show. Anytime Jericho wants to come back, I'm sure Vince will gladly welcome him with open arms. Vince is an asshole, but he's not an idiot.

I would love for TNA to do that. I go to TNA shows when they come to Houston and enjoy the product. But they need to step up their game. TNA has been blowing it more so than WWE. WWE has been safe up until this NXT angle. The main thing is that the WWE needs to keep going with this NXT angle and bring back Bryan Danielson. The only thing I'm afraid of is that the NXT group is going to be made to look foolish or pussies. But this is the best angle that I've seen in years, and I hope they keep doing it right.
Old 06-22-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Virgil was just happy to be back on tv... might up his sales at the convention up 1000% from this

Old 06-22-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thinking about it the next day...i thought the angle is getting better... i didnt like the fact that McMahon was helping them because thats boring but i think about it more that they just used him to get what they wanted...

Mayrse is so hot... my lord
Old 06-22-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Mayrse is so hot... my lord
She also has some charisma, which puts her a cut above a lot of the Divas. Tori Wilson was hot, but I never cared about her character. Or those twin girls now? Snore. Nah, give me female characters like Mayrse or Layla that are interesting for reasons outside of their hotness (even if the hotness is a huge draw).
Old 06-22-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the layla picture before showed how hot she really is.... OMG....
Old 06-22-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Virgil was just happy to be back on tv... might up his sales at the convention up 1000% from this

Every time I see this picture, I think that it's one of the saddest that I've ever seen.
Old 06-22-10, 11:21 AM
Banned

I find this new lawsuit by Martha Hart ridiculous if she has been paid royalties from Owen appearances in DVDs (Bret Hart DVD, Wrestlemania Anthology, etc)

Representatives of Martha Hart sent out the following this morning.

Widow of Deceased Professional Wrestler Owen Hart Files Lawsuit Against World Wrestling Entertainment, Vince McMahon & Linda McMahon

WWE continues to use Owen Hart's Name and Image for Marketing more than 11 Years After he Was Killed in a WWE-sponsored Stunt; In Violation of Contract and Contrary to Family's Wishes

HARTFORD, Conn., June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Martha Hart, the widow of the late Owen Hart, a professional wrestler who was killed in a May 1999 stunt orchestrated by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) today filed suit in the U.S. District Court here against WWE, Vince McMahon (current chairman and CEO) and Linda McMahon (CEO until 2009). The lawsuit alleges the WWE and the McMahons used Owen Hart's name and likeness without right in dozens of commercial videos and other materials, violated a contract restricting the use of Owen Hart's name, likeness and wrestling footage, and disregarded Martha Hart's wishes against further association of her late husband's name with WWE following his death. (Mrs. Hart and WWE settled a wrongful death lawsuit in 2000. Mrs. Hart established the Owen Hart Foundation later that year.)

"In the eleven years since Owen's tragic and avoidable death, I have worked tirelessly to disassociate Owen's name and likeness from anything related to WWE in order to protect our children from any reminder of the circumstances surrounding their father's death, and to avoid any misplaced perception that I endorse WWE," said Martha Hart in a statement.

"Unfortunately, even though WWE, Vince McMahon and Linda McMahon were and are well aware of my wishes and desire to shield my children from WWE and its activities, I was shocked to learn earlier this year that they have been using Owen's name and likeness in videos, websites, television programs and print materials. Given this callous, insensitive and irresponsible behavior, one must question the moral character of Vince and Linda McMahon and the manner in which they conduct their business."

According to the lawsuit filed today before the U.S. District Court in Hartford,

"Since Owen's death, the WWE and McMahons have sought every available opportunity to further exploit Owen's personality for their own commercial benefit. Their use of Owen's name and likeness draws attention to the WWE's ongoing violent and highly questionable theatrical activities that caused Owen's death. Defendants' use of Owen's name and likeness is also in direct disregard of Martha's and her children's objections...The WWE's wrongful use of Owen's name and likeness, over Martha's continuing objection to any association with defendants and in the absence of any legal right of use, creates the wrongful impression that Martha and the Estate now support, approve or condone the video (which they do not)."

The lawsuit seeks to enjoin the WWE from further use of Owen Hart's name and likeness, and seeks unpaid royalties as well as damages for breach of contract, copyright infringement, unjust enrichment, accounting and unfair and deceptive trade practices.

Mrs. Hart is represented by the law firm Nixon Peabody LLP.
Martha needs to understand that Owen is part of WWE history and contrary to Chris Benoit, Owen's legacy is one to be celebrated. I thought time would heal her wounds, but it seems that she still sour on the company as ever.
Old 06-22-10, 11:23 AM
Banned

WWE sent a press release this morning stating they have partnered with Youtube to provide content.

WWE® Partners with YouTube™

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. and YouTube announced today a multi-year partnership that will make full episodes of WWE “Friday Night SmackDown®,” “WWE NXT™,” “WWE Superstars” and “ECW®,” available at WWE’s official YouTube™ channel ( www.YouTube.com/WWE : ).
This marks one of the first times that YouTube will feature complete episodes of primetime television programs on their site.

The multi-year deal greatly expands WWE’s YouTube channel offerings, which already has 90,000 subscribers who have viewed more than 100 million WWE videos to date. WWE will also augment the channel by increasing content clips of WWE’s flagship program “Monday Night Raw®,” as well as “WWE Classics” and short videos.

“WWE has established itself as one of the top global entertainment brands in the world,” said Chris Maxcy, strategic partner director at YouTube. “WWE’s content is hugely popular on YouTube. Bringing in full-length, primetime television programs to the site is a huge win for our community and fans of the WWE.”

“As part of our ever evolving digital media strategy, WWE is one of the first global entertainment companies to offer audiences access to complete primetime shows on YouTube,” said Brian Kalinowski, WWE’s Executive Vice President, WWE Interactive. “This partnership also enables WWE to increase its official PG-content offerings online for our fans, generate revenue, protect our content and broaden our brand exposure on the world’s largest online video site.”

ABOUT WWE

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc : ., a publicly traded company (NYSE.
WWE), is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. The company consists of a portfolio of businesses that create and deliver original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience. WWE is committed to family-friendly, PG content : across all of its platforms including television programming, pay-per-view, digital media and publishing. WWE programming is broadcast in more than 145 countries and 30 languages and reaches more than 500 million homes worldwide. The company is headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, London, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo and Toronto. Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com.

ABOUT YOUTUBE

YouTube is the world’s most popular online video community allowing millions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small. YouTube, LLC is based in San Bruno, CA and is a subsidiary of Google Inc.

Trademarks: All WWE programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans, wrestling moves, trademarks, copyrights and logos are the exclusive property of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. and its subsidiaries. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.

Forward-Looking Statements: This news release contains forward-looking statements pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are subject to various risks and uncertainties. These risks and uncertainties include risks relating to maintaining and renewing key agreements, including television distribution agreements; the need for continually developing creative and entertaining programming; the continued importance of key performers and the services of Vincent McMahon; the conditions of the markets in which we compete; acceptance of the Company's brands, media and merchandise within those markets; uncertainties relating to regulatory and litigation matters; risks resulting from the highly competitive nature of our markets; the importance of protecting our intellectual property and complying with the intellectual property rights of others; risks associated with producing live events both domestically and internationally; uncertainties associated with international markets; risks relating to our film business and any new business initiative which we may undertake; risks relating to the large number of shares of common stock controlled by members of the McMahon family; and other risks and factors set forth from time to time in Company filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results could differ materially from those currently expected or anticipated. In addition, our dividend is significant and is dependent on a number of factors, including, among other things, our liquidity and historical and projected cash flow, strategic plan (including alternative uses of capital), our financial results and condition, contractual and legal restrictions on the payment of dividends, general economic and competitive conditions and such other factors as our Board of Directors may consider relevant, including a waiver by the McMahon family of a portion of the dividends.
Old 06-22-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else find Eve Torres rather hot? I think a big chunk of what makes here attractive is she seems to be having a lot of fun with what she does and she actually knows how to wrestle.

My hope for the GM: okay, anyone but Vicki Guererro or Stephanie McMahon would be fine IMO. Even if it turns out to be HHH.
Old 06-22-10, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Anyone else find Eve Torres rather hot?
Yep. And I think the one diva I find the least attractive is Jillian Hall.
Old 06-22-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all the divas are hot... but Layla takes it... she is awesome...
Old 06-22-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
Yep. And I think the one diva I find the least attractive is Jillian Hall.
Thank you! I was beginning to fear it was only me that thought that.
Old 06-22-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Every time I see this picture, I think that it's one of the saddest that I've ever seen.

It actually reminds me a lot of a scene in The Wrestler where Randy is the only one out of several washed up stars to whom anyone pays attention. The rest are halfway asleep and one is drooling all over themself. Then again, it's not like Virgil was ever a major name on his own, he just tagged along with the right crowd.
Old 06-22-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all the divas are hot... but Layla takes it... she is awesome...
Layla is the hottest one.

there is something 'manly' about Eve Torres but she does seem to enjoy being in the ring

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.