Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite teams loss that still bothers you?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-26-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Is there one particular loss by your favorite team that still eats at you after all these years?

What made me think of this topic was that I was watching the highlight film on the NHL Channel of the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals between the Oilers and Flyers.

The series went 7 games, the Flyers battled back from a 3 games to 1 deficit and actually led game 7 by scoring the first goal. But Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Coffey were just too much and the Flyers lost 3-1. It was the closest my favorite team, The Flyers, had ever come in my lifetime to winning the Stanley Cup, and when I watch Game 7 and see the ending, and it still bothers me to this day.
Old 03-26-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: Your favorite teams loss that still bothers you?

1996 ALCS G1. Will never ever forget that robbery.
Old 03-26-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy one for me ...and still painful after all these years.

The 49ers losing the 1991 NFC Championship game at home to the Giants.

San Francisco was seeking to become the first team to win three straight Super Bowls and was about to get its shot until halfback Roger Craig fumbled the ball with 2:36 to go.
Lawrence Taylor made the recovery, a turnover that set up Matt Bahr’s fifth -- and most important -- field goal, a 42-yarder at the final gun that put the Giants in Super Bowl XXV.
Old 03-26-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post

The 49ers losing the 1991 NFC Championship game at home to the Giants.
^ This...

and the 99 game against the Falcons when Garrison Hearst went down.

Oh, and every playoff loss to the Packers and/or Cowboys.
Old 03-26-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Duke beating KY on Laettner's last second shot.
Old 03-26-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Definitely the Cardinals losing Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. St. Louis hadn't lost a game in which they took a lead into the 9th inning during the entire season. And while the blown call by Don Denkinger was only the 1st out of the bottom of the 9th, it directly contributed to the wheels coming off during that game and carried over to the next night. The loss still stings a bit because of the legacy of that team--a 101-victory squad that was in line to win the WS despite the absence of Vince Coleman after that man-eating tarp incident in the NLCS.
Old 03-26-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 393 Posts

1984 NLCS. Bartman was icing on that cake.
Old 03-26-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The 1998 NFC Championship game that Gary Anderson the Vikings blew.
This past seasons NFC Championship will stick with me forever, too.
Old 03-26-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ditto. Number 1 is the 1998 NFC Championship. The Vikings were the better team, and somehow they lost in overtime.

The most recent NFCC is up there too, but for a different reason (not to open a can of worms, but still feel the purple got cheated by some terrible calls).
Old 03-26-10, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Definitely the Cardinals losing Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. St. Louis hadn't lost a game in which they took a lead into the 9th inning during the entire season. And while the blown call by Don Denkinger was only the 1st out of the bottom of the 9th, it directly contributed to the wheels coming off during that game and carried over to the next night. The loss still stings a bit because of the legacy of that team--a 101-victory squad that was in line to win the WS despite the absence of Vince Coleman after that man-eating tarp incident in the NLCS.
This and

Superbowl XXX - Fucking O'donnell - nuff said

The 1997 NCAA Championship. I think Pitino should have let Anderson play....

Oh and the 1st UK - UL Dream Game

Good grief they just keep coming to me.........
Old 03-27-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not exactly the same, but I think I gave the same answer

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...u-stomach.html
Old 03-27-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
1984 NLCS. Bartman was icing on that cake.
For me, it was actually game 7 of the Bartman series. I really and truly thought after Wood hit that homer that the Cubs had a chance to win it. I've never felt more deflated after a baseball game than that.
Old 03-27-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
For me, it was actually game 7 of the Bartman series. I really and truly thought after Wood hit that homer that the Cubs had a chance to win it. I've never felt more deflated after a baseball game than that.
I remember that shot, thought it was an omen...guess not
Old 03-27-10, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

For the MLB, the closest would be the 2004 World Series, but I'm over that now.

NFL, well I'm a Jets fan. I don't expect too much, even when they're good. This years loss against the Colts stung more than expected.

As a Knicks fan? Three words... Reggie Fucking Miller.
Old 03-27-10, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Browns - Broncos...I can't decide what hurt worse, The Drive or The Fumble...probably The Fumble because that was their chance to get redemption for The Drive.

Ohio State getting destroyed by Florida hurt too because I live in SEC territory and I had to hear about it forever.
Old 03-27-10, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Green Bay losing to Denver in SB XXXII. Far better team, far better season, managed to do just enough to lose. They were all set up to go for the three-peat at XXXIII (which they only missed out on after a horrible Jerry Rice non-fumble call and TO's last second Hail Mary catch on SF's last drive).
Old 03-27-10, 07:37 AM

Boston fan here... lots of painful losses. Superbowl XLII is up there. The 85 WS (BUCKNER!!!!) is up there too.
Old 03-27-10, 08:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

yeah, Giants over Patriots in SB XLII. Fuck you Tyree.
Old 03-27-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, it was the NFC Championship Game in January 2004 when the 49ers lost to the Redskins due to a questionable pass interference call against the 49ers on the Redskins' winning drive. Mind you, the Redskins got thumped in the Super Bowl 38-9 a few weeks later.
Old 03-27-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Game 2, 2004 ALDS, Twins-Yankees. Twins up 1-0 in the series.

Down 1 in the eighth, 2 on, Koskie chokes up on the bat to face Mo. Get's a double, but it bounces out so they only tie it. Twins take the lead later in extras, only to blow it in the bottom half.

That pretty much began the streak of the Twins, Joe Nathan, and Ron Gardenhire. Going about 0-4521345 against the Yankees and in the post season.

That and every Viking season.
Old 03-27-10, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap, where do I start? (Other than the Pens, or still in Ohio, wondering what a Championship, at least a pro one, feels like.)

'80 AFC Championship (Browns-Raiders) - Red Right 88 - Would Cockroft have come through on a FG attempt? Guess we'll never know.
'86 AFC Championship (Browns-Broncos) - The Drive - FU horse teeth!
'87 AFC Championship (Browns-Broncos) - The Fumble - Come on Webster, you've got to block! (2 freaking yards away from paydirt!)
'93 Patrick Division Finals (Pens-Isles) - Game 7 - Heartbreaker - (after 2 cups, didn't expect the Isles to pull this off; was hoping for Cup #3)
'97 World Series (Tribe-Marlins) - Game 7 - 2 OUTS AWAY! Come on!
'01 Eastern Conference Finals (Pens-Devils) - Plucky upstart team that I eventually believed COULD do it - until them met the Devils (What a return that would have been for Lemieux; another Cup)
'07 (06) BCS National Championship (Buckeyes-Gators) - Embarrassing. Hatred for all things Florida was born
'07 ALCS (Tribe-Bosox) - Game(s 5-)7 - Up 3-1 and then to be obliterated 3 straight - it WAS the Sox' year
'08 (07) BCS National Championship (Buckeyes-Tigers) - After getting embarrassed the year prior, a little bit better effort, but 2 years in a row of helping the Big Ten continue the "overrated" label
'08 Stanley Cup Finals (Pens-Wings) - Against the powerhouse Wings, it was a longshot, but there was a glimmer of hope (even up to the
final horn of Game 6)

You could subsequently add 89' NBA EC 1st Round (Cavs-Bulls - The Shot), even though it was first round. Cavs had an undefeated season against the Bulls. Just didn't expect it. Probably would have been worse if I was a bigger basketball fan. Also, even though it was a sweep, the '07 NBA Finals (Cavs-Spurs) and '09 NBA EC Finals (Cavs-Magic). Again, if I were more of a basket ball fan.
Old 03-27-10, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Green Bay losing to Denver in SB XXXII. Far better team, far better season, managed to do just enough to lose. They were all set up to go for the three-peat at XXXIII
Slow down there. Didn't they lose in the Wild Card round? They still would have had to beat Arizona just to get to Minnesota. And that's to say nothing of Denver. I think "all set up to go for a three-peat" is getting pretty far ahead of yourself.
Old 03-27-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
In '84 I was convinced the Cubs were going to the WS. In '03 I was wary. I saw the Bartman play and listened to the rest of the game on the radio. Game 7 I didn't actually watch (still have it on VHS somewhere I think) and thus avoided the direct heartbreak.

Deep skepticism is a defense mechanism that might keep me from truly enjoying the moment when the Cubs win it all. But I'll worry about that bridge later. <not sure which smiley to use>
Old 03-27-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
'93 Patrick Division Finals (Pens-Isles) - Game 7 - Heartbreaker - (after 2 cups, didn't expect the Isles to pull this off; was hoping for Cup #3)
If i have to pick one, it is this one. That team was so good it wasn't even funny. A still NHL record 17 game win, streak, 4 one hundred point scorers, Lemieux had 160 points in 60 games. They had won back-to-back cup and this team was better than either of them. They won the only president's trophy in team history, and the Islanders were such an inferior opponent.

It also robbed us of a great Gretzky/Lemieux Stanley Cup final. And to top it all of it gave the Habs another cup. Just horrible all around.

Game 7 against Florida in the 1996 Eastern Conference finals is a close second. Barrasso lets Tom Fitzgerald score on him from practically center ice to let them go to the finals.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 03-27-10 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts

1971 and 1979 World Series Game #7. Both times Orioles lost at home.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.