2010 Winter Olympic Games

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2010 Winter Olympic Games

Old 02-08-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 2010 Winter Olympic Games

Looks like the weather isn't cooperating

They will have to be trucking in snow as temperatures are a "balmy" 45 degrees.
Old 02-09-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan Getzlaf hurt his ankle last night. Not much time left to recover from injuries at this point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309498

I would think Steven Stamkos would get the spot if he is out.
Old 02-09-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I wish the Olympics would just go away. It is 2 weeks of sports that nobody ever watches, except Hockey and Track and B-Ball in the Summer games.

The Olympics were cool during the Cold War and as an American, you had an enemy in the Soviet Union to root against, but now they are just plain boring. I am suprised it still gets the high ratings it does, oh well, I guess I'm in the minority on this one.
Old 02-10-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Vonn's Olympics in doubt

The Globe and MailBy Stephen Brunt, The Globe and Mail Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:32 AM ET

One of the marquee athletes at the 2010 Olympics revealed this morning that she may not be able to compete.

American skier Lindsey Vonn, who has dominated the World Cup circuit this year and was considered a threat to win five gold medals at Whistler, suffered a right shin bruise in training a week ago in Austria.

She hasn't skied since, and said at a press conference this morning that she was unsure how the injury would respond to training and racing. The bruise is at exactly the point where her boot contacts her leg, and Vonn said that even standing in her hotel room with ski boots on, the pain was "excruciating." (Vonn said that she hadn't had the leg x-rayed, because she didn't want to see what it might reveal.)

"I'm hoping that tomorrow when I get on skis (for the first downhill training run), things will be okay, but I have no idea," she said, sounding shaken.
Asked whether that might mean she would be unable to compete in these Games at all, Vonn said: "Yeah, that's a possibility."

Vonn has fought through injuries many times in her career. At the Turin Olympics in 2006, she came back from a terrible crash that caused severe bruising to her back and managed to start her next race - though she didn't reach the podium. And at the World Championships in Val d'Isere year, she suffered a freak accident, slicing tendons in her thumb on a broken champagne bottle, but came back immediately following surgery, wearing a special protective glove.

Vonn was asked yesterday whether this injury was worse than the one she suffered in Turin.

"I would say it's similar," she said. "But I think I feel with a back injury, it's easier to push through the pain. With a shin injury, there's no way around the pain."
Old 02-10-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

NBC will be crying if she can't contend. They already don't have Sasha Cohen.
Old 02-10-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Translation: "If I win, my story is even greater, but if I lose I have an excuse...you better tune in"
Old 02-10-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 323 Likes on 193 Posts

Losing Vonn would be a HUGE blow to NBC and to the US Olympic team. I hope she can make it, but she sure didn't sound very optimistic.
Old 02-11-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news about Vonn, since was being pegged as one of the marquee US athletes.

Her absence, however, won't diminish my anticipation of the Games, and I am looking forward to watching as much as I possibly can.
Old 02-11-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reminds me of the outcome of this overhyped rivalry in the 1992 summer games:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKJkfE1M9wA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKJkfE1M9wA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_&_Dave
Old 02-11-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Reminds me of the outcome of this overhyped rivalry in the 1992 summer games:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKJkfE1M9wA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKJkfE1M9wA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_&_Dave
In what percieved way is the best female US Skier ever getting a serious injury and potentially missing the Olympics at all like an ad-company-manufactured rivalry between two Decathaletes that never actually happened because one didn't qualify for the Olympics?
Old 02-11-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be broken inside, as it appears I'm the only one who is even remotely skeptical of the seriousness of her injury.
Old 02-11-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
In what percieved way is the best female US Skier ever getting a serious injury and potentially missing the Olympics at all like an ad-company-manufactured rivalry between two Decathaletes that never actually happened because one didn't qualify for the Olympics?
Just in that it bothers me that media/business types tend to pick certain athletes to promote the Olympics. If something occurs that adversely affects this (in the case of Dan and Dave, the ultimate competition didn't occur because Dan mucked up the pole vault; in Vonn's case, she may not participate due to injury), then the greatest worry is if they would lose viewers/revenue because a featured participant is not participating. Why not just run ads featuring a variety of Olympic contenders, and not a select few? Then you don't run as big of a risk if a featured contender suddenly drops out due to injury.
Old 02-11-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk God

I've been reading about the U.S. Nordic event competitors - sounds like our best shot to medal in a Nordic event since '76.
Old 02-11-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Just in that it bothers me that media/business types tend to pick certain athletes to promote the Olympics. If something occurs that adversely affects this (in the case of Dan and Dave, the ultimate competition didn't occur because Dan mucked up the pole vault; in Vonn's case, she may not participate due to injury), then the greatest worry is if they would lose viewers/revenue because a featured participant is not participating. Why not just run ads featuring a variety of Olympic contenders, and not a select few? Then you don't run as big of a risk if a featured contender suddenly drops out due to injury.
So you're saying that if you're president of NBC and you just spent $500 Million to broadcast the 2008 Summer Olympics, you wouldn't put a focus on Michael Phelps? You think featuring all the swimmers and other competitors would bring in more viewers than those hoping to see history made? Because their strategy worked pretty well that time.
Old 02-11-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, are we West Coasters going to get screwed again and have to watch all "Live" events on a three-hour tape delay. That bugged the shit out of me two years ago and I hate having to avoid my computer all day if I don't want to know who won events.
Old 02-11-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes, for stuff on NBC. A lot of stuff is tape-delayed anyhow for everyone (alpine skiing for one).

Hell I'm going to have to delay my daily PTI viewing for at least half-a-day since even if they don't talk about things that happen during the day, ESPN's updates and ticker will spoil it. It's also going to make college basketball tough to watch the next 2 weeks (with the ticker) if I am watching multiple tvs as I usually do.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-11-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm not a huge Winter Olympics fan...more into the Summer games. I will check out Figure skating as I understand the scoring system and maybe Hockey if the U.S. advances far.

It sucks that the West Coast is getting screwed with tape delayed coverage even though the Games are in the West time zone. But, I get that the Games must air in Prime Time for the East and the West Coast has to air their local News during the 5pm hour.
Old 02-11-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I will check out Figure skating as I understand the scoring system and maybe Hockey if the U.S. advances far.
Seriously? That has to be one of the most confusing scoring systems in sports.
Old 02-11-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

It's not that hard to comprehend Figure Skating scoring. You kind of get a jist of what is a good and bad score by the reaction from the crowd and announcers.
Old 02-11-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I have no idea how figure skating works now. The old system, if corrupt, was far easier to understand.
Old 02-11-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I have no idea how figure skating works now. The old system, if corrupt, was far easier to understand.
And I believe the new/revised scoring system makes the breathtaking and daring difficult moves that separate the great from the really good worth a much higher risk, so the initial buzz is that skaters will play things safely.
Old 02-11-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

The first Olympic results are in!

More than 30 athletes have been dropped from Winter Olympic teams from around the world because of doping violations, the World Anti-Doping Agency said on Thursday.

The agency would not reveal a precise number or name the athletes involved. Nor would its officials say which sports the ejected athletes compete in or which countries they represent.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centr...tml?cid=rsstsn
Old 02-11-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Olympics are being held all of 120 miles away and yet I won't be able to watch most of the marquee events live. And we're doubly screwed this time around since CBC lost the Canadian broadcast rights so we can't watch what is typically the best North American Olympics coverage since almost no U.S. cable services carry CTV. Yippee.
Old 02-11-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hate the tape delay of Live events in the West coast. I had to stay up past midnight two years ago to watch Michael Phelps swim in a live race that was over by 9:30 pm. It wouldn't require any more tinkering and yet NBC continues to run this stupid tape delay policy to people west of the Rockies (i.e. 40% of the population) and pretend like it's 1976 and there's no internet.
The stuff in Italy four years ago was fair game since it would run in the middle of the day otherwise, but this makes no sense at all. Nobody delays Monday Night Football or the NBA Playoffs. Why dealy this?
Old 02-11-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's live on tape delay!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.