Reload this Page >

Tiger Woods - car crash, BONUS affair talk [Update: Divorced]

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Tiger Woods - car crash, BONUS affair talk [Update: Divorced]

Old 02-24-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Re: Tiger Woods - car crash, BONUS affair talk [Update: Divorced]

Tiger is only 45. I know he's made millions over the years, but if he chooses to, I think he could take 2-3 years off to rehab and heal from these injuries and still come back at 47 or 48. It's not impossible.
Old 02-24-21, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Tiger is only 45. I know he's made millions over the years, but if he chooses to, I think he could take 2-3 years off to rehab and heal from these injuries and still come back at 47 or 48. It's not impossible.
wait until 50 and dominate the senior tour
Old 02-24-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

I heard someone say the only USGA trophy he doesn't have is the Senior US Open. I hope he gets to achieve it.
Old 02-24-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Right, but he was already having a lot of problems with his back. Compound that with serious leg injuries and general aging issues (heís not exactly old, but still) and I would be surprised if he can play competitively again.
Old 02-24-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 616 Likes on 438 Posts

Ordinary citizen accident: Cars are built to protect main body parts when car rolls, but he has multiple leg fractures.

Celebrity accident: He almost died!
Old 02-24-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Genesis SUV. Kinda cheap and surprising.

Another reason to buy a BMW or Mercedes SUV since he could afford it.

I wonder if he had one of those big screens or tablets in the car and maybe he was distracted?
Old 02-24-21, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 661 Likes on 452 Posts

One of the sportscasters I listen to who has a relatively good knowledge of the impact of injuries this severe feels like the first concerns for Tiger are) can he keep the leg, and then will he walk again. Returning to golf is the third on the list. Risk of infection is high, etc.
Old 02-24-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Really? What a ridiculous statement. He was driving a top of the line Genesis because he was hosting a tour event sponsored by Genesis. The tournament provides loaner cars.

And no car is crash-proof. The fact that he was pretty intact from the waist up after that accident speaks highly to the carís safety and build.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-24-21)
Old 02-24-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Kinda feel bad for the guy,seems to have real substance abuse issues but has surrounded himself in the Golfworld and personal bubble with enablers who will make excuses and keep him out of legal trouble.
Old 02-24-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Drew Brees must be feeling like shit right now, too.
Old 02-25-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 604 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
This wasn't him at home driving around. He was provided a vehicle to use while at the tournament. It was like a free rental. (I'm assuming that's why he driving a car with the tournament name plastered on the door). On hindsight, it would've been better if he had a driver who was familiar with the vehicle and the road.
Old 02-25-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone familiar with the road? I'd like to better understand how such a bad accident could happen on non-icy roads during the day which didn't involve more than 1 car.
Old 02-25-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Is anyone familiar with the road? I'd like to better understand how such a bad accident could happen on non-icy roads during the day which didn't involve more than 1 car.
At around 7.12am, Tiger lost control of his car on a downhill stretch of Hawthorne Boulevard which has a slight bend in it - hitting a wooden road sign mounted on a raised and turfed central reservation.

The car then crossed the reservation and ended up on the wrong side of the road facing into two lanes of oncoming traffic. It kept going, eventually hitting the curb on the far side and splintering a tree.

The car flipped over 'multiple times', police said, rolling off the road and into bushes before coming to rest on its side at the bottom of grassy embankment.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-athlete.html

Did he overcorrect thinking he needed to be to the left of the median [2] instead of staying right?
Old 02-25-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

He was probably just high as a fucking kite. Blaming the car, which by the way Hyundai has great safety scores, seems to be like scapegoating for a guy with known addiction issues.
Old 02-25-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like he had plenty of time to hit the breaks before he went into the ditch unless he just completely panicked (or had fallen asleep at the wheel).

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
He was probably just high as a fucking kite. Blaming the car, which by the way Hyundai has great safety scores, seems to be like scapegoating for a guy with known addiction issues.
Anyone blaming the car is beyond foolish.
Old 02-25-21, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,510 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I havenít been keeping up with this too much but all initial investigations seem to indicate Tiger wasnít impaired. I know most of us first jumped to ďpainkillers or alcoholĒ when we heard the reports but it sounds like that wasnít the case.

The theories that he wasnít familiar with the car and/or the particular road is winding and steep and he was driving too fast for that particular stretch are more likely.
Old 02-25-21, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Multiple reports including form the police say he wasnít impaired and nothing in his system go maybe itís time to shut that angle down. Probably speed and unfamiliar with the roads caused this
Old 02-25-21, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pnwrainman View Post
Multiple reports including form the police say he wasnít impaired and nothing in his system go maybe itís time to shut that angle down. Probably speed and unfamiliar with the roads caused this
And don't forget SUV rollover. These cars up high for visibility often have a high center of gravity, making them especially susceptible to rollover, especially at high speeds and around corners.
Old 02-26-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 661 Likes on 452 Posts

I heard he was giving himself a hummer which is why he lost control.
Old 02-26-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he fell asleep but not on anything. There's no way you misjudge that gentle curve so much that you end up on the other side in a ditch. Either that or he wasn't looking at the road/texting...etc.
Old 02-26-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Looking at the picture above, lucky that no one was hit head on in the opposite lane.
Old 02-26-21, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I heard he was giving himself a hummer which is why he lost control.
No wonder he's had so many back problems over the years.
Old 02-28-21, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

It was fucking squirrels...

Old 04-07-21, 12:25 PM

It wasn't the squirrels' fault.

Excessive speed caused Tiger Woods' SUV crash, sheriff says

10:08 AM PT
Tiger Woods' February accident was caused by excessive speed, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday.

He will not face any charges and there were no signs of impairment, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

Woods' SUV was traveling from 84 to 87 mph on a downhill stretch of road outside Los Angeles that had a speed limit of 45 mph and was going 75 mph when his car hit a tree, Villanueva said.

Villanueva blamed the Feb. 23 crash solely on excessive speed and Woods' loss of control behind the wheel.
Villanueva said Woods and his representatives have been cooperative during the investigation and gave permission to share the findings.

Woods, who is from the Los Angeles area, had been back home to host his PGA tournament, the Genesis Invitational at Riviera Country Club, when the crash happened.

He was driving an SUV loaned to him by the tournament when he struck a raised median in Rolling Hills Estates, just outside Los Angeles. The SUV crossed through two oncoming lanes and uprooted a tree on a downhill stretch that police said is known for wrecks.

Woods is in Florida recovering from multiple surgeries stemming from serious leg injuries he suffered in the accident. Woods has never gone an entire year without playing, dating back to his first PGA Tour event as a 16-year-old in high school.

Rory McIlroy, a four-time major golf champion who lives near Woods, said he visited him on March 21.

"Spent a couple hours with him, which was nice. It was good to see him,'' McIlroy said from the Masters on Tuesday. "It was good to see him in decent spirits. When you hear of these things and you look at the car and you see the crash, you think he's going to be in a hospital bed for six months. But he was actually doing better than that.''

Villanueva had previously said detectives had determined the cause of the crash but he would not release it, citing privacy concerns and a purported need for Woods' permission to divulge information.

Villanueva faced criticism for weeks for his comments about the crash, including calling it "purely an accident'' and saying there was no evidence of impairment. Documents show that Woods told deputies he did not know how the crash occurred and didn't remember driving.

Detectives searched the data recorder of the 2021 Genesis GV80 SUV, known as a black box. Investigators did not seek a search warrant, however, for Woods' blood samples, which could be screened for drugs and alcohol.

This is the third time Woods has been involved in a vehicle investigation.

The most notorious example was when his SUV ran over a fire hydrant and hit a tree early on the morning after Thanksgiving in 2009. That crash was the start of shocking revelations that he had been cheating on his wife with multiple women. Woods lost major corporate sponsorships, went to a rehabilitation clinic in Mississippi and did not return to golf for five months.

In May 2017, Florida police found him asleep behind the wheel of a car parked awkwardly on the side of the road. He was arrested on a DUI charge and said later he had an unexpected reaction to prescription medicine for his back pain. Woods pleaded guilty to reckless driving and checked into a clinic to get help with prescription medication and a sleep disorder.

Old 04-07-21, 12:44 PM
Suspended

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

It doesn't take much of a downhill slope on a road to go outrageously fast. If the speed limit on the road is 45, and you are more realistically travelling 55 to 60, then slope down, you'd have to actively ride the brakes to get the speed under control. I know the way that I drive to improve gas mileage, I'm very light on the acceleration and almost never touch the brakes unless I need to stop, so I find myself having to make a decision to apply the brakes once I'm well above the speed limit. That said 85-ish mph in a 45 is pretty fast.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.