Reload this Page >

Fantasy Football Talk 2009 ptII

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2009 ptII

Old 11-17-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2009 ptII

That MJD adjustment screwed me I won by half a point before sunday nights game and then I check the standings today and see that I lost.
Old 11-17-09, 01:43 PM

Who would you guys rather have going forward? (I must win my last 3 games to make the playoffs)

Joe Flacco (own him)
Matt Hasselbeck (might be able to trade for him)
David Garrard (on the waiver wire)
Old 11-17-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are their schedules looking like?
Old 11-17-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

What would you do in this situation? Ten team league, points based. I'm the commissioner. There is money involved but it's pretty small amount. I'm in it with friends and family.

My cousin traded Kevin Williams and Nate Washington for Marion Barber and Jared Allen. Not a hugely lopsided trade, but definitely favors my cousin. He traded with one of his friends, who is 2nd to last. While I wouldn't call it a player dump, I certainly think it was suspicious.

Now I just get another trade notification that he's trading Santonio Holmes for Stephen Jackson from his other friend, who happens to be in last place. Now this is clearly way more lopsided and has me super suspicious.

The question is what do I do? As the commish to I put the kibosh on this trade. I'd be the bad guy. Or do I leave it up to the league to vote to hopefully put the kibosh on the trade. My cousin currently sits 6th and is over 200 points behind the leader, so I doubt this would propel him to 1st over the rest of the season. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth since both of these owners have bailed on their teams (leaving spots open for bye weeks and such).
Old 11-17-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by enderwiggin View Post
Who would you guys rather have going forward? (I must win my last 3 games to make the playoffs)

Joe Flacco (own him)
Matt Hasselbeck (might be able to trade for him)
David Garrard (on the waiver wire)
Flacco. I don't trust Garrard at all (and neither does anyone else, if he's on the wire), and Hasselbeck is just too much of an injury risk. I can tolerate an injury risk if he's super productive, but Hasselbeck is certainly not.
Old 11-17-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
What would you do in this situation? Ten team league, points based. I'm the commissioner. There is money involved but it's pretty small amount. I'm in it with friends and family.

My cousin traded Kevin Williams and Nate Washington for Marion Barber and Jared Allen. Not a hugely lopsided trade, but definitely favors my cousin. He traded with one of his friends, who is 2nd to last. While I wouldn't call it a player dump, I certainly think it was suspicious.

Now I just get another trade notification that he's trading Santonio Holmes for Stephen Jackson from his other friend, who happens to be in last place. Now this is clearly way more lopsided and has me super suspicious.

The question is what do I do? As the commish to I put the kibosh on this trade. I'd be the bad guy. Or do I leave it up to the league to vote to hopefully put the kibosh on the trade. My cousin currently sits 6th and is over 200 points behind the leader, so I doubt this would propel him to 1st over the rest of the season. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth since both of these owners have bailed on their teams (leaving spots open for bye weeks and such).
I've stayed away from being commish in football leagues since I already do so for baseball and am ready for a break by the time the NFL season rolls around.

A key point in what you mentioned above is at the end, when you indicate these owners have neglected their teams prior to these trades. Perhaps a short note sent to the owners in question with your observations and a request to cancel the trade themselves (assuming that's an option).

Hopefully it doesn't turn ugly on you. I was in a league a couple of years ago where a guy got ticked off because his trade was vetoed/cancelled, so he began to cut all his guys and the commish had to take control of his team, set lineups, etc. If that wasn't bad enough, it came under extra scrutiny because the team in question played the commish's team with a playoff spot on the line.
Old 11-17-09, 03:05 PM

Flacco. I don't trust Garrard at all (and neither does anyone else, if he's on the wire), and Hasselbeck is just too much of an injury risk. I can tolerate an injury risk if he's super productive, but Hasselbeck is certainly not.
Flacco is killing me though. 2 games in a row with under 10 points. I have to win the next 3 games to get into the playoffs.

Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
What are their schedules looking like?
Following are the QBs and their next 3 opponents with Pass D ranking

Flacco: Indy (16), Pitts (12), & GB (6)
Garrard: Buff (9), San Fran (29), & Hou (17)
Hasselbeck: Min (23), Stl (25), San Fran (29)
Old 11-17-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

doubt it matters to anyone but in case he is your kicker Steve Hauschka has been cut by the Ravens
Old 11-17-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well it sounds like collusion but there could be more factors at play here. Not that I agree with what they're doing, but there's always the slight possibility that both teams are improving with the trade.

If in trade 2, the guy trading Steven Jackson has both MJD and Ray Rice, but his WR's were Bowe, Calvin Johnson and Greg Jennings, and you start 2 RB's and 3 WR's, then he obviously needs a WR to replace Bowe, while he has RB's to spare.

Your cousins team must have really been hurting if he needed 2 RB's for that crap though.

Kind of off topic for this post: I just noticed in my 10 team league, there is not a single Raiders or Browns player on anyones roster.
Old 11-17-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by enderwiggin View Post
Flacco is killing me though. 2 games in a row with under 10 points. I have to win the next 3 games to get into the playoffs.

Following are the QBs and their next 3 opponents with Pass D ranking

Flacco: Indy (16), Pitts (12), & GB (6)
Garrard: Buff (9), San Fran (29), & Hou (17)
Hasselbeck: Min (23), Stl (25), San Fran (29)
I would rate them Hasselbeck, Garrard and then Flacco in that order. However, I would go with Garrard if two of those games are at home, he plays much better at home. I rate Flacco last because those teams he's facing are all desperate to win and better than the teams the other two guys are playing.
Old 11-18-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not asking for advice, just curious how people rate the trade I just made.

Traded away:
Brandon Marshall
Santonio Holmes

Received:
Rashard Mendenhall
Anquan Boldin

We start 2 RB, 3 WR, and a flex. Other WRs on my roster: Moss, Smith (NYG), Cotchery, Ochocinco. Other RBs on my roster: Ricky Williams, Lesean McCoy, Westbrook (but who knows if he'll play again this year), Mike Bell, Donald Brown, Jamal Charles, McFadden, Michael Bush.

On any given day, some of those RBs might do something, and hopefully McCoy will establish himself, but Mendenhall seems like an upgrade over everyone, and Boldin could be every bit as big as Marshall. And Holmes is no loss given my depth.

Funny thing is that we play each other this week.
Old 11-18-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I hope that guy is in 1st place.
1 game out. But, he hasn't been keeping up with his team. Still, those 2 have won him games even with having player(s) on bye.
Old 11-18-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So I need to pick 3 of these crappy WR to start. Not sure why I bother, because my team is completely snakebit...

Burleson
Malcom Floyd
Knox
Lance Long
Royal
Schilens

Right now I have Burleson, Floyd and Knox penciled in, but apparently my judgement isn't the best since I've gotten 0 or 1 pt from at least one of my WR every week this season. I keep cycling through these POS WRs, while others strike gold with pickups of Sims-Walker and Miles Austin early in the season.
Old 11-18-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
So I need to pick 3 of these crappy WR to start. Not sure why I bother, because my team is completely snakebit...

Burleson
Malcom Floyd
Knox
Lance Long
Royal
Schilens

Right now I have Burleson, Floyd and Knox penciled in, but apparently my judgement isn't the best since I've gotten 0 or 1 pt from at least one of my WR every week this season. I keep cycling through these POS WRs, while others strike gold with pickups of Sims-Walker and Miles Austin early in the season.

How many teams are in this league and who did you draft to end up with only that?

I'd start Burleson Knox and Long if it was a PPR league, if not then I'd probably go with the 3 you chose.
Old 11-18-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need to choose a flex in a PPR league

WR - Devin Hester vs. PHI
WR - Mario Manningham vs. ATL
RB - Justin Forsett @ MIN
RB - Ladell Betts @ DAL
Old 11-18-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by U6C84 View Post
How many teams are in this league and who did you draft to end up with only that?

I'd start Burleson Knox and Long if it was a PPR league, if not then I'd probably go with the 3 you chose.
Only 12 teams and not PPR, but like I said, I'm snakebit. I drafted Bowe as my #1 after going RB-RB-RB (Jones-Drew, Jacobs, R. Brown), and now he's suspended. Took Anthony Gonzalez and Eddie Royal as my next two (remember, Marshall seemed to be on his way out at the time). When A.G. got hurt, I picked up Laurent Robinson, who went out the very next week, etc, etc, etc...

I tried trading Jacobs or Brown for a WR earlier this season, but couldn't get much interest.
Old 11-18-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Might as well prep for the playoffs:

A guy in my league dropped McGahee - now I can pick him up as an insurance policy to Rice when he clears waivers.

I think I am going to pick up Ahman Green as insurance for Grant, too. Matt Cassel is just taking up space anyway, particulalry now that Bowe is gone for a month.

Last edited by B.A.; 11-18-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just picked up Justin Forsett as I wait on how long Turner will be out.

I'm safely in a playoff spot and I only have one really tough game left and that's this week. At RB it looks like I'll be starting Forte and Pierre Thomas but who should be by flex:

Justin Forsett at Vikings
or
Jamaal Charles at Pitt

Neither seem to appetizing but I'm leaning towards Forsett.

It's upsetting that Turner is out, I was looking forward to flipping PT Cruiser for a wide reciever to really stack my team up. Now the trade deadline is Friday and it looks like I'll have to stay pat.
Old 11-18-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

an update if anyone cares. the trade was vetoed without me doing anything. everyone else saw this and voted against it. i talked to my cousin and said he was just sending out crazy offers for guys and it so happened that this guy accepted. i think it was because he knew he was out of it and he has bailed on his team.
Old 11-18-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Need some opinions on my final starting spot for the week please...

Mendenhall or Sims-Walker?
Old 11-18-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
He went all the way to the end of our second round. So some lucky bastard ended up with AP and CJ.
In my 8-team league, I picked up AP in the first round of my draft (2nd pick overall) and CJ in the third (18th overall).

I got Brandon Jacobs in round 2, and in a 3 RB league, I've actually had him on the bench for a large chunk of the season in favor of Cedric Benson (round 16).
Old 11-18-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mendenhall or Sims-Walker?
Mendenhall is facing the Chiefs D and Sims-Walker has to deal with the crappy run D of the Bills, which should mean a lot of chances for Maurice Jones Drew. Buffalo's pass d isn't half bad either.

Mendenahall will have a lot more chances to produce.
Old 11-18-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ronnie Brown on IR wow.
Old 11-18-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That just made my Ricky Williams much more valuable!
Old 11-18-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another decision that will clearly have a lot of fantasy impact: The Raiders have benched Jamarcus Russel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.