Reload this Page >

Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Old 10-26-09, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

I say the Phillies in 5 or 6. The way the Yankees looked in that Angels series at times leaves me with not a lot of confidence facing a team with a better offense and better pitching than the Angels.
Old 10-26-09, 02:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 522 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I say the Phillies in 5 or 6. The way the Yankees looked in that Angels series at times leaves me with not a lot of confidence facing a team with a better offense and better pitching than the Angels.
Yankees have always had trouble with the Angels. i think they just have this curse with them, but they fought it off finally and i think will do much better with the Phills. still wil be a hard fought battle and should make for another great series. good thing CC and AJ can hit a bit coming from Nat League when they get to Philly and even then they might only need CC to hit .
Old 10-26-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 133 Posts

^ It's true that Sabathia can really rake at the plate. He tore it up as a member of the Brewers, if I recall.

Looked it up: 96 Plate Appearances, .261 BA, 3 HRs. (career numbers including interleague games as an Indian)

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 10-26-09 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
Yankees have always had trouble with the Angels. i think they just have this curse with them, but they fought it off finally and i think will do much better with the Phills. still wil be a hard fought battle and should make for another great series. good thing CC and AJ can hit a bit coming from Nat League when they get to Philly and even then they might only need CC to hit .
It's not really about the history it's about how quickly each team dispatched their opponents. The Phillies didn't mess around with the Dodgers. When they had them down they finished them off. The Yanks needed mistakes and errors to beat the Angels. I definitely would not dismiss Philly like you are doing. That team once they get on a roll they will run you over and with the shakiness of the middle relief for the Yankees that is not a good sign.
Old 10-26-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head to head this season:

Phillies 7-3 Burnett vs Myers
Yankees 5-4 Pettitte vs Happ
Phillies 4-3 in 11 Sabathia vs Hamels

Game 2 was a blown save by Lidge.
Old 10-26-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another interesting tidbit:

"Cliff Lee faced Sabathia in the first regular-season game played at new Yankee Stadium, giving up one run over six innings in a 10-2 Indians victory on April 16. Sabathia went 5 2/3, allowing one run before the bullpen imploded. "
Old 10-26-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Another interesting tidbit:

"Cliff Lee faced Sabathia in the first regular-season game played at new Yankee Stadium, giving up one run over six innings in a 10-2 Indians victory on April 16. Sabathia went 5 2/3, allowing one run before the bullpen imploded. "
I remember that game. It was an afternoon game and I was just getting out of work and the game was close. I had been following on MLB.com and from when I closed MLB.com to the time I got in my car (about 10 maybe 15 mintues), the bullpen had had given up 9 runs thanks to Jose Veras.

But either way, neither this tidbit nor your head to head comparasions mean anything.
Old 10-26-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Head to head this season:

Phillies 7-3 Burnett vs Myers
Yankees 5-4 Pettitte vs Happ
Phillies 4-3 in 11 Sabathia vs Hamels

Game 2 was a blown save by Lidge.
Game 3 was also a blown save by Lidge, but the Phillies managed to win it in the 11th anyways.

It's going to be a good series. I'm personally enjoying everyone underestimating the Phillies here. I'm going Phillies in 6. Everyone (well, maybe not Feliz) in the lineup is dangerous and can hurt you with their bat. They've got the most AL-like lineup and DH possibilities (which will likely be Ben Francisco in LF and Raul Ibanez at DH) of any team in the NL (it's important to have a player with DH experience, versus the "4 pinch hits a game" type). Strength at the top of the rotation and no real glaring weakness (and 3 members of the rotation have significant AL experience).
Old 10-26-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really about the history it's about how quickly each team dispatched their opponents. The Phillies didn't mess around with the Dodgers. When they had them down they finished them off. The Yanks needed mistakes and errors to beat the Angels. I definitely would not dismiss Philly like you are doing. That team once they get on a roll they will run you over and with the shakiness of the middle relief for the Yankees that is not a good sign.
I've got no dog in this fight, but it sounds like you're shortchanging the Yankees much like you're accusing the Yankees fans of doing to the Phils. Both teams took care of their LCS opponents in the same fashion. The only games either team lost were close contests. The Phils and Yanks each blew out the other team and won a couple of nail-biters.

Honestly, I have no idea how this series will play out. I can actually envision either side with a break or two winning in 5 games. Or it may go to the late innings of game 7.
Old 10-26-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am a Phils fan, but I think the Angels are a much better team then the Dodgers. I just think overall that the AL is a much better league then the NL.

I am not underestimating my Phils, as I would not be shocked if they won this series, but if I had to put money on it, I would take the Yankees, simply for two reasons: They have a chance of throwing Sabbathia 3 times, and Pettite 2 times, that means the Phils must face a lefty 5 times in 7 games, and they are definitely better against righties. And Rivera is a stud, and I think if one of the relievers is going to blow a game, its going to be Lidge.

But thats why they play the games.....
Old 10-26-09, 03:56 PM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm not making any predictions, but the puffed out chests on both fans' sides are enjoyable to watch.
Old 10-26-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Go Phils.

Old 10-26-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Go Yankees. But this should be the best WS in quite a few years -- two great teams going head to head.
Old 10-26-09, 05:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 522 Likes on 454 Posts

Another meaningless interesting tidbit:

anything prior to the all-star break means absolutely nothing as the Yanks were a completely different team beyond. in fact anything in the regular season means nothing when it comes to playoffs for any team.

look up all the stats you want and compare them as much as you want. it is the World Series and neither team will be a lock or have any distinct advantage. it is truly the best from each league this year and will be one hell of a series and good luck to all!
Old 10-26-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just posted the facts. Relax. Seems the Yankees fans are getting testy having to play the defending World Champions.
Old 10-26-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 219 Posts

I just hope it's a fun series.
the teams are really close I think and this coul go to either team.
To hard to predict, I just hope the phils win.
Old 10-26-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phillies are playing a different Yankee team...
Old 10-26-09, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I've got no dog in this fight, but it sounds like you're shortchanging the Yankees much like you're accusing the Yankees fans of doing to the Phils. Both teams took care of their LCS opponents in the same fashion. The only games either team lost were close contests. The Phils and Yanks each blew out the other team and won a couple of nail-biters.

Honestly, I have no idea how this series will play out. I can actually envision either side with a break or two winning in 5 games. Or it may go to the late innings of game 7.
I don't care who wins either but I am going by the eyeball test. The Phillies have lost 1 game on the road in the playoffs so far. They have won both of their elimination games and have looked dominant in their wins for the most part. On the other hand the Yankees have blown leads late, bullpen looks shaky, no clutch hitting outside of Arod, needed miracle 9th inning rally's in one game each in the division and championship series. To me the Phillies have a better offense than the Yankees. The starting pitching is probably even. I might give a slight edge to the Yankees and the bullpen goes to the Phillies even with Rivera. Getting to Rivera is the problem for the Yankees so far.
Old 10-26-09, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
So are the Yankees
Old 10-26-09, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I am a Phils fan, but I think the Angels are a much better team then the Dodgers. I just think overall that the AL is a much better league then the NL.

I am not underestimating my Phils, as I would not be shocked if they won this series, but if I had to put money on it, I would take the Yankees, simply for two reasons: They have a chance of throwing Sabbathia 3 times, and Pettite 2 times, that means the Phils must face a lefty 5 times in 7 games, and they are definitely better against righties. And Rivera is a stud, and I think if one of the relievers is going to blow a game, its going to be Lidge.

But thats why they play the games.....
The Phillies have beaten Sabathia before and badly too. To me it's how you approach Sabathia. He likes to get over early in the count and that is where the Phillies could possibly take advantage. I'm still not a believer in Sabathia. The Angels and Twins were weak hitting teams, now this will be a real test for him.
Old 10-26-09, 10:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
I think both teams are different if you are referring to the series from May.

Phils: Cliff Lee and Pedro weren't on the team then. Brad Lidge was a mess, now I don't know if he back to 2008 form, but he is better then he was at any point this season. Jimmy Rollins was hitting .200 when he faced the Yanks in May. And the Phils have a right handed bat in Ben Francisco (who they got in the Cliff Lee trade) for the DH, when they were using Chris Coste in May.
Old 10-26-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing I know for sure it that it's going to be torture for this Indians fan to watch Cliff Lee AND C.C. Sabathia duel on Wednesday night.
Old 10-26-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ With the offenses of both teams, it wouldn't be completely unexpected if both starters got touched up a bit. Perhaps that would make it a little more bearable.
Old 10-27-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I discounted the Phillies last year against the Rays, and won't make that mistake again. However, I still think the Yankees will prevail. I would love to see this Series draw out to Game 7.
Old 10-27-09, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
They've got the most AL-like lineup and DH possibilities (which will likely be Ben Francisco in LF and Raul Ibanez at DH) of any team in the NL (it's important to have a player with DH experience, versus the "4 pinch hits a game" type).
Yeah because the Dodgers putting Thome at DH would have been a great unknown.
You do realize Ibanez was a LF with the Mariners and not a DH? (Last 3 seasons in SEA in LF - 157, 135, 153games. He played in maybe 20 games combined over those 3 years as a PH/DH)

Fantastic analysis on the DH aspect. You do realize if it is important (as you suggest) that a player have "DH experience" the Phils have no player on their roster like that.

Last edited by wirefan; 10-27-09 at 02:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.