Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Old 10-28-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post

Question 5. S: 2 Who's going to win the World Series this year? √ Standings at MLB.com

New York Yankees (-8):
JasonF
Mordred
MrX
Pharoh
No one said the Phillies.
Old 10-28-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-28-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

mmm black taco.
Old 10-28-09, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
No you compete for the better overall interleague record, obviously.

My comments clearly had nothing to do with:

With only an ~750 game sample size over the last 3 years... clearly you need to go through things series by series....
It's not like the standings of the teams would average out over such a "small" sample size...

Or we could go the last 5 years (which is only ~1250 games - not as significant a sample size as say a 7 game World Series... but hey I'm crazy that way!):
AL- 713, NL- 546 (that's a .566 win %)
The absolute worst year for the AL in that span .539

But hey... gotta break this down with all the anomalies - I think there was one year when the Marlins didn't care about one of the series or maybe all of the interleague games and I should account for those 3 games or 13 games...

You have to wonder at what point is the sample size large enough to overcome the ridiculous excuses and say you know what, maybe this does mean something and is not just an anomaly or due to rules or standings quirks.

But then again maybe I'm just saying interleague record is more important than the World Series.... yeah I'm sure that's my point.
dude, you're wasting your time. Your research and facts are solid and you're backing everything up with logic. We (the unbiased) have been following along and can tell that you're winning this. Here's the problem - you're arguing against a mentality that refuses to admit when it's been proven wrong. You're going to continue to get responses like this:

"Who won the WS last year, isn't that what they compete for?"

and the flip-flopping because it's the only thing they have left other than admitting defeat, which they just won't do.

Let. It. Go.
Old 10-28-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-28-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So will tonight's game be rained out?
Old 10-28-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm sure everyone has seen the NY Post from yesterday:
The NY Post is embarassing. It's pathetic journalism and they always have headlines like the ones you posted because they know it'll get people riled up. The Post shouldn't be taken seriously, it's not indicitive what people in NY really think.
Old 10-28-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Reports say that the rain should let up in the evening. Looks like we'll get baseball... possibly a delayed start.

Hoping for the best.
Old 10-28-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
I'm 70 miles west of NYC and it is raining like hell. I can't believe the field will be playable even if it slows enough. But with a billion dollar ballpark, they may have the greatest drainage system in the world.
Old 10-28-09, 01:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

what exactly is the logic of pitching Martinez in G2? the Yankees have always owned him and even he has acknowledged this. is it just so Hamels would feel more comfortable at home since he is struggling?

also, i've always liked Miguel Cairo when he was on the Yanks, even though he didn't do too much, but since the Phills kept him off the WS roster and brought in that pitcher, does Cairo still get a share and ring if they do win?
Old 10-28-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
what exactly is the logic of pitching Martinez in G2? the Yankees have always owned him and even he has acknowledged this. is it just so Hamels would feel more comfortable at home since he is struggling?

also, i've always liked Miguel Cairo when he was on the Yanks, even though he didn't do too much, but since the Phills kept him off the WS roster and brought in that pitcher, does Cairo still get a share and ring if they do win?
You answered your own question about Pedro. Manuel thinks pitching Pedro in game 2 in a hostile enviornment makes sense because he's got more experience than Hamels. Hamels pitches better at home and it just makes perfect sense. Plus they keep him out of the batter's box. Pedro is no spring chicken so I'm sure Manuel doesn't want him to run the bases.

It's the same thing Girardi is doing with Burnett. Burnett is better at home so he's going in Game 2. Logically you'd put Pettitte at #2 instead. But this way you get Burnett at home and you're not sacraficing too much from the lineup because Matsui can DH. If Burnett pitched to Molina in the NL park then you now lose Matsui (no DH) and Posada for most of that game.
Old 10-28-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a hailmary for a few reasons:

-Hammels is not the pitcher he was in 2008, if he hasn't ridden the ship at this point, Manuel doesn't have much faith in him in.

-Pedro pitched a gem in the NLCS, and he has pitched in Yankee Stadium in the playoffs, so he won't wilt under the pressure.

-Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Yankees a better hitting team off of lefties? Tex has more power when he hits right, A-Rod and Jeter are righties, and Matsui hits well off of lefties too. Any Yankees fans feel free to correct me.
Old 10-28-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He did it to protect Hamels fragile confidence level. What I'm wondering is why you wouldn't use Blanton instead? I guess Pedro's performance in the NLCS earned him the spot.
Old 10-28-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
-Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Yankees a better hitting team off of lefties? Tex has more power when he hits right, A-Rod and Jeter are righties, and Matsui hits well off of lefties too. Any Yankees fans feel free to correct me.
The Yankees have hit lefties well but saying they hit better is a little misleading considering the Yankees (like every other team) have faced many more righties than lefties. Obviously the Yankees have more home runs and RBI's off righties, but they see them more. They have a lower average against righties but that's also because the more you see them the lower the average gets.

But either way, saying that Pedro is a good match for the Yankees is because of the short porch and 7 of the 9 Yankee hitters will be batting from the left side.
Old 10-28-09, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
If Burnett pitched to Molina in the NL park then you now lose Matsui (no DH) and Posada for most of that game.
The Yankees left Cervelli off the WS roster, so the speculation is that the Burnett/Molina experiment is going to be scrapped this week.
Old 10-28-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's got a sub-3 ERA at Yankee Stadium in his career. The Yankees have hit him hard in the playoffs (ERA over 6), but that's a relatively small sample size (3 starts)
Old 10-28-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It's also a different style Pedro. Yankees are used to seeing the Pedro that threw gas, now he's gone through the "old pitcher" transformation where he's now all about locating and changing speeds.

But the reason the Yankees have a good record against Pedro (when he was on the Sox) was because they knew they could wait him out. The Yankees would match him up against their best pitcher and just be patient, hopefully tack on a run or two but get him out as early as possible. Ideally, the Yankee starter did just enough to keep the Yankees in the game and then the Yankees would tee off on the bullpen. That was pretty much their Pedro Gameplan and it worked a lot. But it's not the same Pedro, so the gameplan may not work.

But what I do know is that Yankees know how to beat up on those soft throwing, locate the ball righties.

Game is still up in the air. It's pouring now.
Old 10-28-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

The players and the team decides who gets a share and how much of a percentage.
Old 10-28-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
He's got a sub-3 ERA at Yankee Stadium in his career. The Yankees have hit him hard in the playoffs (ERA over 6), but that's a relatively small sample size (3 starts)
Pedro has not pitched at the new Yankee Stadium. I would think his sub 3 ERA at the old stadium is not important.
Old 10-28-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It totally stopped raining here pretty much. I think the game will be on. This weather will be in NY within a couple hours.
Old 10-28-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, Pedro was pitching in the low 90's. Is that "soft throwing?"
Old 10-28-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It totally stopped raining here pretty much. I think the game will be on. This weather will be in NY within a couple hours.
Yeah stopped raining here in western Long Island. We should be getting some baseball. No rain is nice but the weather is still pretty shitty.

Baseball weather

BTW, Pedro was pitching in the low 90's. Is that "soft throwing?"
It's certainly not the Pedro the Yankees are used to seeing. But I admit I thought he was throwing more in the 88-92 range.
Old 10-28-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Yankees of 2003 have little resemblance to this team.
Old 10-28-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-28-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah but the team is built the same way. A deep line up, all of whom can grind out at bats, work walks and make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.