DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-12-09, 04:33 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

Fuck, a whole month until The U . Gives me time to catch up on the ones I missed though.
Old 11-12-09, 05:55 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy to say that TSN is going to be airing them here in Canada starting tomorrow Friday November 13th at 8:30pm with the first episode being "The Band That Wouldn't Die"

For Canadians, here are the upcoming schedule:

SMALL POTATOES: WHO KILLED THE USFL? (Mike Tollin), Saturday, Nov. 14 at 7pm et/4pm et

WITHOUT BIAS (Kirk Fraser), Tuesday, Nov. 17 at 8pm et/5pm et

KINGS RANSOM (Peter Berg), Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm et

MUHAMMAD AND LARRY (Albert Maysles), Saturday, Nov. 21 at 7pm et/4pm et

THE LEGEND OF JIMMY THE GREEK (Fritz Mitchell), Saturday, Dec. 5 at 7pm et/4pm et
Old 11-13-09, 09:23 AM   #103
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^^^

I can't wait!!!
Old 11-18-09, 11:06 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

"King's Ransom" was tough to watch. I was absolutely shocked when that trade happened and just like everybody else wondered what could have been if they have kept Gretzky in Edmonton. It's hard to argue but no matter how you felt about the trade, Gretzky's influence for hockey in the US was undeniable.
Old 11-19-09, 12:09 AM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't Canada get ESPN? I'm actually kind of surprised about that.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 11-19-09, 12:22 AM   #106
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
"King's Ransom" was tough to watch. I was absolutely shocked when that trade happened and just like everybody else wondered what could have been if they have kept Gretzky in Edmonton. It's hard to argue but no matter how you felt about the trade, Gretzky's influence for hockey in the US was undeniable.
As a longtime Oilers fan that day sucked so bad. I cried a few times that day. I just couldn't believe it was happening coming off of winning another Cup I believe against Boston. That team was so good, so deep they won another one a couple of years later without Gretzky.
Old 11-19-09, 02:38 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Not a hockey fan at all, but I would have liked to see that one. It's one of the stories that really caught my attention.
Old 12-11-09, 03:00 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

Bump to remind people that "The U" airs Saturday night at 9 EST. While I'm sure my anticipation pales in comparison to that of my man Quake, I'm still about a 15 on a 1-10 scale. I loved those Miami teams. Can't wait!
Old 12-11-09, 03:09 PM   #109
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Without Bias
The U
No Crossover
Guru of Go
Straight Outta LA (directed by Ice Cube)
the Band that Wouldn't Die
A little annoyed that I've missed a couple of these since adding the series to my DVR way back in early Oct. Thought I was up-to-date with the Ali, Greek, Bias and Gretzky eps. Do these repeat fairly often? Going to have to scroll through ESPN's listings to find the ones I missed. Damn the infrequency and random showings of this great show.

ETA: Forgot that I've seen the USFL one, too. That's been my second fave so far, a bit behind the Ali/Holmes doc. Bias and the Greek are a distant third and fourth.
Old 12-11-09, 03:13 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My DVR has The U going for 2 hours this weekend, is that right?
Old 12-11-09, 03:21 PM   #111
DVD Talk Legend

holy crap - DirecTV says the same. 2 hours! I had no idea. This is gonna be all kinds of awesome.
Old 12-11-09, 03:29 PM   #112
DVD Talk God

I don't know if I can deal with 2 hours of The U. At least Maryland pulled the greatest comeback ever against those a-holes.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 12-11-09, 03:33 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

I knew you'd be in sooner than later Yeah, they were huge a-holes, but man, I loved them even though I was a Michigan fan.
Old 12-11-09, 03:47 PM   #114
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't know if I can deal with 2 hours of The U. At least Maryland pulled the greatest comeback ever against those a-holes.
I watched that game live! Go Terps!
Old 12-11-09, 03:47 PM   #115
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Bump to remind people that "The U" airs Saturday night at 9 EST. While I'm sure my anticipation pales in comparison to that of my man Quake, I'm still about a 15 on a 1-10 scale. I loved those Miami teams. Can't wait!

Best ever!!!!! I am a huge canes fan and although I can't wait to check this out. Its gonna make miss the old days. I know we one in 2001 which is probably the best college team ever but those guys from the 80's where so fun. People that hated them just bought into the media frenzy believe me I've lived in Miami my whole life and there wasn't anything that happend here that wasn't happening in all the other schools..

GO CANES!!!!
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 12-11-09, 04:10 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

2 hours....*dies*....
Old 12-12-09, 06:42 PM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

little over an hour to go............
Old 12-14-09, 12:26 PM   #118
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great doc on the Miami Hurricanes football program.

I was a big Penn State fan and I hated the Canes in '86-87 when they played the Joe Pa in the Fiesta Bowl. I still remember them coming off the plane in dressed to goto war, and there was so much trash talking that week. Although I did root for the Canes when they would beat up on Notre Dame every year.

It is amazing how College Sports are all about recruiting and how coaching is so overrated. Miami started recruiting in the inner city and it all turned around in the 80's.

I will say I do miss the days when these teams played a tougher non-conference schedules. Miami would play Florida, Florida St, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. Now everyone plays a bunch of tomato cans before they hit their conference games.

I do miss Jerome Brown, loved him as an Eagle.....
Old 12-14-09, 12:39 PM   #119
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
I will say I do miss the days when these teams played a tougher non-conference schedules. Miami would play Florida, Florida St, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. Now everyone plays a bunch of tomato cans before they hit their conference games.
Miami was an independent so all of their games were non-conference. I think if they still were unaffiliated you'd see them playing a similar schedule most years.
Old 12-14-09, 12:52 PM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

loved "The U", every second of it. I know people hated them, but I always thought they were great, even if Jimmie Johnson did cheat to beat Michigan back in '88. Anyway, the documentary reminded me of two things from that era:

1. My memory is hazy, so some of the details might be a little off, but there was one series of plays that sums up the 80's Canes for me - both the good and the bad. After back to back personal fouls (!) and a sack, the Canes were facing 3rd and 47 from inside their own 10. At that time, 99 out of 100 teams would've either called a run or maybe a safe screen pass. No, no - the Canes basically throw a Hail Mary to Michael Irvin for a 48 yard gain at mid-field. He pops up, signals first down, bows to the crowd, etc. THAT type of shit made me love watching them.

2. There's a pretty well known player from Michigan who I once heard tell the story of his recruiting trip down to Miami. After the official stuff on campus was over during the day, the visiting recruits were taken by some of the players to a party out on a boat hosted by Luthor Campbell. Everybody (players, recruits) got some spending money from "Uncle Luke", and as he said it "the stuff I saw and experienced on the boat that night would have made Larry Flynt blush"
Old 12-14-09, 06:48 PM   #121
DVD Talk God

Just watched it. Ah, Thug U....something to be proud of as the now 40-somethings seem to reflect about it.

Thankfully, it's lost in the ACC (curse you for expanding) and mediocre now. Karma.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 12-14-09, 08:19 PM   #122
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Just watched it. Ah, Thug U....something to be proud of as the now 40-somethings seem to reflect about it.

Thankfully, it's lost in the ACC (curse you for expanding) and mediocre now. Karma.
Hater
Old 12-15-09, 05:09 AM   #123
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Miami was an independent so all of their games were non-conference. I think if they still were unaffiliated you'd see them playing a similar schedule most years.

I always thought they were in the Big East in the 80's and 90's and moved to the ACC a few years ago.

I guess I just remember Penn State and Notre Dame being the only independents, but I guess you're right that Miami was independent too.
Old 12-15-09, 08:13 AM   #124
DVD Talk God

There was no Big East football in the 80s. All the schools that formed Big East football were indies in the 80s.

FSU was an independent too (in football) until 1991. I believe South Carolina was too (after they left the ACC in the early 70s) until the SEC went to 12.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 12-15-09 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:24 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Hopefully you will be man enough to eat your words in the next few years .