Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

Old 06-26-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Joey Chestnut and his rivalry with Kobayashi in the sport of hot dog eating will be featured in the next episode on July 2.
Nice.
Old 06-26-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was unexpected, but why the heck not? I'll watch. Hopefully they have George Shea narrate:

Originally Posted by George Shea

In a world of nothing. Of barren hills and cracked earth and once-proud oceans drained to sand, there will still be a monument to our existence. Bleached by the sun, perhaps, and blunted by time, but everlasting. Because this man represents all that is eternal in the human experience. Through the curtain of the aurora, a comet blazes to herald his arrival, and his victory shall be transcribed into every language known to history, including Klingon. The Bratwurst, and Pirogi, and Hooters Chicken Wing eating champion of the world, eight-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating champion of the world, the number 1 eater in the world, I give you America itself, Joey Chestnut.
Or my personal favorite:
Originally Posted by George Shea

He will do whatever it takes to win. Three days ago he broke up with his girlfriend and euthanized his dog to leave a void of emptiness inside of him that he can fill today with hot dogs and buns.
Old 06-30-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

George Shea is more entertaining than the actual competition.
Old 07-05-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Joey Chestnut and his rivalry with Kobayashi in the sport of hot dog eating will be featured in the next episode on July 2.
As a big fan of the hot dog contest, this episode was okay. Not perfect, but certainly informative and helped clear a few things up. I liked the interview with Kobayashi and why he basically quit MLE. I had no idea about all the stuff going on behind the scenes.They only briefly went over the controversy when Chestnutt first beat Kobayashi at Nathan's, which many think Shea more or less rigged so Chestnutt would beat Kobayashi.

I did get the impression that MLE is more WWE than actual competition.
Old 07-05-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I did get the impression that MLE is more WWE than actual competition.
Appropriate since Shea is very Vince McMahon.

It was enjoyable. Like with most things that seem very simple on face there is a lot more to it when you take a deeper dive.
Old 08-30-19, 01:38 PM

George Shea should have his own daytime talk show. He would be far more entertaining than most of the garbage that the syndicates are producing now.
Old 09-13-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone watch the Rodman doc? I had no idea about his earlier life and how he made it to the NBA. As all of these are, it was very well put together. I had forgotten who we were dealing with until the end where they had to start talking about the whole N Korea nonsense; showing him on TV crying with a MAGA hat on.
Old 09-13-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have it recorded... Rodman was one of my favorite players back in the day. I grew up about 10 minutes from The Palace and went to TONS of Pistons games when they were elite in the late 80's / early 90's. Dennis was amazing... his energy was contagious. Then he slowly slipped into bizzaro world and fame went to his head... the biggest event was him being found in The Palace parking lot after a game with a shotgun in his car. It was all down hill from there (from a Piston-career perspective).
Old 09-13-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I have it recorded... Rodman was one of my favorite players back in the day. I grew up about 10 minutes from The Palace and went to TONS of Pistons games when they were elite in the late 80's / early 90's. Dennis was amazing... his energy was contagious. Then he slowly slipped into bizzaro world and fame went to his head... the biggest event was him being found in The Palace parking lot after a game with a shotgun in his car. It was all down hill from there (from a Piston-career perspective).
Of all people, Isaiah Thomas described what he was going through better than anyone. He thought the Piston team was his family and was never going to end. Realizing that wasn't the case really fucked him up, which makes sense when you hear about what happened in his childhood/early 20's.