Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

Old 10-02-18, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

FYI, the new season of 30 for 30 premiered a few weeks ago. It was Seau about the career and death of Junior Seau. I watched it on demand last night through ESPN Plus.

Powerful and heartbreaking film. I was riveted for the 90+ minutes. Lots of great interviews with family, friends and former teammates. I highly recommend anyone here who is a football fan or was a fan of Seau to watch it. It's ends on quite a downer, but overall it's a really compelling look into him and how his passion for the game eventually led to his downfall and death.
Old 10-03-18, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I'm going to track this down tonight... this is still premiering on ESPN first, right? I've heard nothing about the new season but I rarely watch ESPN anymore.
Old 10-03-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
FYI, the new season of 30 for 30 premiered a few weeks ago. It was Seau about the career and death of Junior Seau. I watched it on demand last night through ESPN Plus.

Powerful and heartbreaking film. I was riveted for the 90+ minutes. Lots of great interviews with family, friends and former teammates. I highly recommend anyone here who is a football fan or was a fan of Seau to watch it. It's ends on quite a downer, but overall it's a really compelling look into him and how his passion for the game eventually led to his downfall and death.
I actually saw Seau play in high school (against my school's team - our team won). I don't remember much about him in that game, though, other than he played well. But he was a big deal even in high school - we knew that he was one of the best players in the county before the game (and that was his junior year).

I was never surprised by how well he did and how far he went. He just drove me nuts as a SAN DIEGO Charger fan because he rarely played his position as assigned - he was always making it up as he went along, doing a freelancing thing. Sometimes it worked, sometimes he was WAY out of position to make a play.
Old 10-03-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ I'm going to track this down tonight... this is still premiering on ESPN first, right? I've heard nothing about the new season but I rarely watch ESPN anymore.
Oh wow, turns out Seau is an ESPN plus exclusive for now. I read a few articles and they all mentioned itís premiering exclusively on Plus. No wonder I didnít see any TV promotion for it. I just happened to notice it flipping through the App. So unfortunately youíre out of luck.

Thereís a 7 day free trial though.
Old 10-03-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does everything have to be online and not on regular TV anymore.
Old 10-04-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Plus... for now. But if they ever disassociate it from the magazine, I'm out. Agree with Jeff, all these unique "add on" or online channels are driving me nuts.
Old 12-12-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Tyson/Douglas 30 for 30 Special was really good last night. For anyone who grew up after Tyson and thinks of him as the caricature he is now, everyone thought he would be the greatest before that fight. Many people (including me) thought he would retire undefeated and was invicible as he was knocking everyone out in the first few rounds. You would pay $50 PPV and want him to knock the guy out in the first round, as THAT was getting your money's worth!

Douglas really exposed Tyson after that as any bigger fighter could just jab the hell out of him and he was never the same. He was only 5'11" so he couldn't get inside on bigger guys like Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis, and they would just wear him down. One of my friends said back in the 80's that Tyson was a one trick pony/overrated and we all laughed at him, but he ended up being right.

I honestly don't know where to rank Tyson among the Top Heavyweights in History? His essentially had 2 careers (Pre-Douglas/Post-Douglas) where he went from the greatest to the eventual laughing stock.
Old 12-12-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I recorded this. I remember the night Douglas knocked out Tyson like it was yesterday... it was a shocking moment in history (if you followed boxing). I don't know that I'd call Tyson a "one trick pony"... he knocked out guys bigger and stronger than him all the time. I think he took the Douglas fight for total granted and barely trained. He reminded me of Rocky Balboa in Rocky 3.
Old 12-12-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Wished they showed the weigh-in prior to the Holyfield fight and how out of shape he was. All the writers ran out of the room after the weigh-in to bet Holyfield.

And some Jimmy Vaccarro action.
Old 12-12-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I don't know that I'd call Tyson a "one trick pony"... he knocked out guys bigger and stronger than him all the time. I think he took the Douglas fight for total granted and barely trained. He reminded me of Rocky Balboa in Rocky 3.
I think he was a one trick pony in that his whole game was on intimidation and knocking someone out (He really had no strategy if he couldn't knock you out). Going into that fight he was 37-0 with 34 knockouts, so he barely went the distance and never showed he could win on points. You look at champions like Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, they could knock you out if needed, or win on points and just flat out box for 15 rounds.

Tyson really never fought anyone good leading into Douglas, other then Spinks. But Spinks looked scared the second he got into the ring and Tyson would use that to his advantage. The best fighters of that era were Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe, and Tyson lost to all of them (he never fought Bowe). Now many will argue his skilled eroded after he got out of jail, along with his lifestyle catching up with him similar to a Doc Gooden. That is why Tyson is a hard boxer to place among the greats in history.

And Douglas was WAY out of shape when he fought Holyfield, as you could see he already cashed in his 25 million he was getting for the fight. Holyfield knocked him down and he could have gotten up, but he never had the drive to win after he beat Tyson. I really miss those days of getting 15-20 friends to watch a Heavyweight PPV, as that was an event just like the Superbowl.

Last edited by coli; 12-12-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly the next 30 for 30 will be about Deion Sanders.
Old 12-12-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Supposedly the next 30 for 30 will be about Deion Sanders.
"Deionís Double Play" on January 31.
Old 12-25-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't watched the NBA since the 90s, but this trailer just premiered. The Last Dance will premiere in 2020 and will be a 10 part series on the 1998 Chicago Bulls and their last championship run.
Old 12-25-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10 parts on just the 1998 team? Why not cover their entire run from their losses to the Pistons to 1998?
Old 12-25-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A little early announce something that premieres in 2020.
Old 01-31-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, tonight's the 30 for 30 special about Deion Sanders double day when he played baseball and football in the same day.
Old 02-02-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the Deion Sanders 30 for 30 today on ESPN +

It was okay. It was only 1 hour because the subject about him playing baseball and football that one day is a little thin. But, overall it was entertaining. Deion is still cocky now even in his 50's.

The did go a little into his feud with Tim McCarver because he called Deion out on TV as being selfish for doing this thing. And then Deion dumped a bucket of water on him in the locker room after the Braves won the pennant. And McCarver still hates him to this day and refused to be interviewed in this film along with the former Braves GM and Manager.
Old 02-02-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deion is cocky, but I thought that McCarver was a petty bitch when went after Deion on commentary during the games.
Old 02-02-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh I hate Deion.
Old 02-02-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Deion is cocky, but I thought that McCarver was a petty bitch when went after Deion on commentary during the games.
Same page. Deion backed up his mouth which is why I always respected him.

McCarver was before my time (as a player) and came off as a blowhard.
Old 02-02-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw most of the Deion one and didn't care for it. I thought it would be a little more interesting, although I did like the McCarver stuff.
Old 02-04-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I watched the Deion Sanders 30 for 30 today on ESPN +

It was okay. It was only 1 hour because the subject about him playing baseball and football that one day is a little thin. But, overall it was entertaining. Deion is still cocky now even in his 50's.

The did go a little into his feud with Tim McCarver because he called Deion out on TV as being selfish for doing this thing. And then Deion dumped a bucket of water on him in the locker room after the Braves won the pennant. And McCarver still hates him to this day and refused to be interviewed in this film along with the former Braves GM and Manager.
Deion is probably my favorite athlete of all-time but this 30 For 30 wasted so much time of its hour on the stupid feud with McCarver. A terrible creative decision when all of Deion's NFL and MLB career is available on video.
Old 04-03-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Junior Seau 30 for 30 finally has a TV airdate for those who didn't see the October premiere online.

"Seau" 30 for 30 Documentary to Air on ESPN April 16

ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on NFL legend Junior Seau will make its linear television debut on Tuesday, April 16, at 9 p.m. E on ESPN. Trailer: https://es.pn/2FPOHFr

"Seau," directed by Kirby Bradley, recaptures the glory days of NFL great Junior Seau while foreshadowing a tragedy that would rock the league. Seau was a legend long before he retired from the NFL -- surrounded by a passionate fan base, deep respect from his peers and a loving family, he experienced a unique sense of purpose that extended beyond the playing field.

Despite appearing to have everything, his decision to end his own life at 43 remains both deeply disturbing and largely unexplained. This revealing account of the Hall of Famer's life and death seeks answers, exploring the remarkable path from an immigrant Samoan family to NFL stardom, and the many obstacles faced throughout two decades spent as an American football icon at the heart of a brutal and unforgiving game.

Read more at Breaking News - "Seau" 30 for 30 Documentary to Air on ESPN April 16 | TheFutonCritic.com
Old 04-24-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Seau show was good.

He seemed like the last guy who would off himself since he was successful and a people person and everybody that encountered him mostly had good things to say about him.

He was bullheaded and not willing to go through rehab or get help or talk to his family about his problems. Maybe he had a point saying he had to stay away from his family since he might hurt them.

It was hard to watch when his girlfriend called 911.

No surprise Costas would appear on something dealing with concussions.
Old 06-26-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joey Chestnut and his rivalry with Kobayashi in the sport of hot dog eating will be featured in the next episode on July 2.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.