DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-11-17, 06:51 PM   #801
DVD Talk God

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

No wonder I missed this -- did not carry the "30 for 30" title in the program guide.

Looking forward to watching it. I was around 10 growing up in Baltimore during their heyday.

edit: good film. Man those teams were so great. And then so enjoyed watching Wingate/Williams at G'town in the mid-80s. Mugsy was one of a kind. Pure tragedy with Reggie Lewis.

But don't get me started on Bob Wade.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-11-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 06:29 PM   #802
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
ESPN Films' "30 for 30" to Premiere Tommy Morrison Documentary Exclusively on the ESPN App and On-Demand

Film about Late WBO Heavyweight Champion Marks First 30 for 30 Debut Exclusively for Streaming and On-Demand Audiences on September 13; Will Air on ESPN2 September 27

ESPN Films will premiere a documentary on the ESPN App and on-demand for the first time with the next installment of the award-winning 30 for 30 series, "Tommy." The film about the late WBO heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison will be available exclusively for streaming and on-demand audiences starting Wednesday, September 13. It will then make its broadcast premiere on Wednesday, September 27, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Co-directed by Gentry Kirby and Erin Leyden, "Tommy" examines Morrison's remarkable rise to the spotlight, followed by a stunning, confounding, and ultimately tragic fall. He was one of the best heavyweights of his time; a handsome, charming, yet unsettled young star. Born into a troubled family in America's heartland, Morrison's initial emergence as a fighter was bolstered by a starring role in "Rocky V." A few years later he beat George Foreman for the WBO heavyweight title, and seemed primed for more stardom, even in the face of blown opportunities and upset losses. But everything changed in early 1996 when he tested positive for HIV, abruptly forcing him into retirement at age 27. From there, Morrison's life spiraled further and further downward, plagued by drug problems, jail time, and an eventual denial that he had the virus at all.

"Although testing positive for HIV was a big part of Tommy's life, we did not set out for this to be an HIV story," said co-director Gentry Kirby. "'Tommy' is more of a personal, intimate look into how a person's upbringing can affect their ability to handle everything that life throws at them."

Adds co-director Erin Leyden: "One of the things I found so compelling about Tommy was the sense that he always wanted to do the right thing, yet so many of the challenges he faced were self-inflicted due to the decisions he made."

Through interviews with Morrison's promoter, manager, trainers and family, among others, the film explores the one-time heavyweight champion's unlikely rise and sudden fall. There have been other boxers and other sports stars whose stories ended sadly, but rarely is the loss of potential as poignant as the case of Tommy Morrison.

Additional information, including film clips and director statements and bios, will be available on the 30 for 30 website espn.com/30for30. Follow 30 for 30 on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join the conversation with hashtag #Tommy. The full film will also be available On Demand immediately following the broadcast debut on ESPN2 Wednesday, September 27. 30 for 30 is presented by Mini.

"Tommy" will be available to stream in the new "Watch" tab on the ESPN App for iOS and Android, which launched as part of last week's 5.10 update. The release marks the latest effort to create a comprehensive, one-stop shop for sports fans by integrating more live and on-demand video content directly into the ESPN App that is both personal and discoverable. Video-on-demand access will also be available on set top boxes and OTT devices through a pay TV provider.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...JpRGfAFcb05.99
Old 08-27-17, 06:43 PM   #803
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am old school and will wait until Sept 27.

Screw this app shit.
Old 08-28-17, 02:40 PM   #804
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the Baltimore Boys documentary on demand last night. (Not 30 for 30)

Very good documentary. Some really great interviews and footage of these guys in high school. I was only in elementary school at the time, so this story was before my time and interest in basketball.

I'm glad they covered their careers from HS, college and through the pros and even talked about the tragic death of Reggie Lewis. It really sounded like the doctor who said that Lewis never had any heart issues was to blame and gave a bad diagnosis, which ultimately led to his death.

Bogues interviews were great.
Old 08-28-17, 03:22 PM   #805
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I watched the Baltimore Boys documentary on demand last night.
Glad to hear it's worth a watch...have it sitting on the DVR. There's also something I flagged called "Morningside 5" knowing nothing about it. Now all I need is the time to watch them.
Old 09-13-17, 10:26 PM   #806
DVD Talk Hero

New 30 for 30 aired last night.

It was about the 1987 NFL strike and all the scab players that took the field. Surprisingly there are no re-airs anytime soon.

They focused on the 1987 Washington Redskins scab team. Some good interviews with the players they found. I found it pretty compelling. Honestly, I have very little recollection of the strike. I wasn't really into the NFL during that time period (in 7th grade) and I lived overseas briefly. I did watch the 1988 Super Bowl, which the Redskins won.

I also DVR'd the other film "What Carter Lost" about this super Texas High School Football team with lots of future NFL stars that got into trouble. However, it started about 10 minutes late because of Little League Baseball. I watched about 1/2 of it before deciding to scrap it and wait for a re-air so I can get the whole thing. It's only re-airing on the Longhorn Network.

Going back to ^^^ Bill's comment. I did also DVR and watch "Morningside 5" which was about a HS Basketball super team here in So. Cal in the 90s with kids who seemed destined to become NBA superstars. None of that team made it. Some didn't even make it to college. It showed what they are up to now and how some of them are struggling to survive. I liked Baltimore Boys better, but I did think this was a good take on these kids with delusions of grandeur and failing.
Old 09-13-17, 10:46 PM   #807
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the trailer for the Tommy Morrison trailer
Old 09-13-17, 10:48 PM   #808
DVD Talk Hero

As I posted a few weeks ago, Tommy is currently available now on the ESPN app and on demand.
Old 09-14-17, 05:21 PM   #809
DVD Talk God

Really enjoyed the Scab 30 for 30, but then again, I'm a Skins fan and enjoyed that little run and upsetting the Cowboys with D. White, Dorsett, Too Tall, etc. They were something like 3 TD dogs in that game.

I also recommend the 30 for 30 Short on the US Marshall's Redskins ticket scam sting operation on fugitives with outstanding warrants. It's on WatchESPN.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 09-15-17, 02:40 PM   #810
DVD Talk Hero

I watched a re-air of 30 for 30: What Carter Lost last night.

It started out slow. But then the main hook kicked in about 1 hour in when they showed that several members of this Carter HS Football team threw away their bright futures after they committed armed robbery. Sad, but these kids got arrogant and full of themselves and looked for a quick way to get money to buy the bling and shit that they wanted.

28 members of that 1988 team were offered college scholarships, only 8 actually went to college. Looks like Jesse Armstead was the only one who ended up being a huge college and NFL star. The HS championship they won that year was forfeited after those kids went to jail. They all served anywhere from 3 to 7 years each in prison.

This film might not appeal to most here. It felt like a regional news story and not really a national story. Hence, that's why all future re-airs are on the Longhorn Network.
Old 09-15-17, 04:22 PM   #811
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Really enjoyed the Scab 30 for 30, but then again, I'm a Skins fan and enjoyed that little run and upsetting the Cowboys with D. White, Dorsett, Too Tall, etc. They were something like 3 TD dogs in that game.
I totally forgot that the teams that had players cross the picket line that year blew up the team chemistry like the Cowboys. I didn't realize Montana crossed the line either as I remember the 49ers lost to the underdog Vikings in the playoffs. I believe Walsh almost lost his job and the Montana/Young QB controversy started. There was a lot of fallout behind the scenes in these lockerooms after the 87 strike.

I do remember Buddy Ryan told his players not to cross the line (just like Gibbs). The Eagles ran it up on the Cowboys later that season to show their dislike for all of their ProBowlers crossing the line.
Old 09-27-17, 02:31 AM   #812
DVD Talk Hero

Reminder

The 30 for 30 Tommy Morrison film premieres Wednesday night at 8pm ET on ESPN2

It's 90 minutes. Beware of potential DVR conflicts with the many other shows premiering Wednesday night.

Here's the trailer's link

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20464228
Old 10-03-17, 08:27 PM   #813
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is kind of messed up the scabs for the 1987 Redskins never got Super Bowl rings.

The Tommy Morrison show was good.

He was in pretty bad shape and looked 70 years old after doing all those drugs. A sad ending.
Old 11-13-17, 11:19 AM   #814
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone watch the 30 for 30 on Rick Flair? I grew up watching WWF with the rise of Hulkamania in the 80's and never watched NWA at that time. I never realized HOW big Flair was in the 80's especially the lifestyle he was living with all of the money he made. I only got to see Flair when he came to WWF in the early 90's and eventually WCW later on, but he was the Hulk Hogan of the NWA in the 80's. I went back and watched a lot of his interviews from that time period and they are pure gold, especially when he call out cute ladies in the crowd.
Old 11-13-17, 04:08 PM   #815

Whenever I see or read people talking about pro wrestling in the 1980s and comparing WWF with NWA/Crockett, they always say NWA was regional and limited mostly to the South or Mid-Atlantic regions. NWA was televised nationwide on Turner back then. Did Turner not have a big reach or something. I remember seeing NWA in rural Alaska back then, plus wrestling magazines were on every newsstand, but somehow, the WWF or "New York" was considered the "big leagues".
Old 11-13-17, 04:27 PM   #816
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
Whenever I see or read people talking about pro wrestling in the 1980s and comparing WWF with NWA/Crockett, they always say NWA was regional and limited mostly to the South or Mid-Atlantic regions. NWA was televised nationwide on Turner back then. Did Turner not have a big reach or something. I remember seeing NWA in rural Alaska back then, plus wrestling magazines were on every newsstand, but somehow, the WWF or "New York" was considered the "big leagues".
I really think it came down to TBS vs NBC/local affiliates so it was a no contest. I still have recordings or old World Championship Wrestling's and it would be preempted routinely by Nascar races which back in the 80's was about as regional as you can get. Also the show was originally called Georgia Championship Wrestling, which again pointed to just regional content.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall ó so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 11-13-17, 04:42 PM   #817
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I really think it came down to TBS vs NBC/local affiliates so it was a no contest. I still have recordings or old World Championship Wrestling's and it would be preempted routinely by Nascar races which back in the 80's was about as regional as you can get. Also the show was originally called Georgia Championship Wrestling, which again pointed to just regional content.
It has to do with 3 things:
1- Vince bought multiple territories to become the national WWF company, thus being known as a national company by wrestling historians.
2- The NWA became a national company in the late 80's when it became WCW after being purchased by Ted Turner. Turner gave more exposure to Crockett promotions due to them being in Charlotte and JCP buying other smaller NWA affiliates. Still, Flair and others defended the NWA championship for most of the 80's in other promotions that were NWA affiliated, like WCCW, AWA, WWC, NEW JAPAN, All-JAPAN and FCW. That's why the NWA Champion was considered a true world champion.
3- Vince won the wrestling wars, thus has changed the narrative of history in the business, putting WWF more dominant than anything else in the world. He's somewhat right but not completely.
Old 11-13-17, 06:15 PM   #818
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I think WWF just marketed better after Hulkamania became a phenomenon. I still have a VCR tape of Hogan vs Piper on MTV as they teamed up for Rock and Wrestling. Then Hogan and Mr T Hosted SNL and that all culminated with Wrestlemania 1. So teenagers like me just gravitated to WWF as I watched MTV, SNL, etc. Iím actually mad I missed out on Flair and the NWA days as Iíve been watching old stuff on Youtube and he was great, The 4 Horsemen, Dusty Rhoades, Sting. WWF just went after the teenage MTV market and solidified that generation of fans in the 80ís. Ironically we all watched WCW in the 90ís with the NWO.