DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-31-17, 07:19 PM   #726
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: ESPN's 30 For 30 Documentary Series

30 for 30 is taking on the rise and fall of the XFL in their next movie premiering this Thursday. I barely watched the games,but this looks interesting to watch. Are the 30 for 30s still on Netflix or Hulu?
ttp://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/19/xfl-...espn-30-for-30
Quote:
Imagine a nightmare born of testosterone and cynicism that 16 years later remains an endeavor nearly too foolish and disastrous to be believed. Or re-live it! This Was The XFL, which debuts on ESPN Feb. 2 at 9 p.m., marks the latest sharp entry in the 30 for 30 documentary series, and it’s an instructive one, too. To this day, the XFL remains a black mark on Big Media and on American men, a feat of comprehensive stupidity, a triumph of the worst instincts. (To director Charlie Ebersol’s credit, he accurately paints the failure authored by his legendary NBC Sports exec father, Dick, and WWE’s Vince McMahon as borderline-contemptible rather than a well-intentioned moonshot along the lines of the USFL.)
Old 01-31-17, 07:58 PM   #727
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Are the 30 for 30s still on Netflix or Hulu?
Netflix dropped all the 30 for 30 titles at the end of 2016. Including all the recent ones.

Hulu only has OJ Made in America and the Doc and Daryl film.

Looks like you're shit out of luck.

Here's the lowdown on all the titles they had that were dropped:

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news...es-on-netflix/

One of the reasons why you cannot rely on all cable content making it's way to streaming let alone staying there. Titles eventually get dropped when licenses expire.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-31-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 11:15 PM   #728
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^Well I can find a version of it on youtube, after it airs. Plus I need to pickup the other two bluray sets.
Old 02-02-17, 05:34 PM   #729
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, the XFL could have been something had it not included WWF/WWE bullshit.
Old 02-02-17, 11:59 PM   #730
DVD Talk Hero

This was the XFL was a great film.

Lots of good and entertaining interviews with most of the people behind the scenes. They even interviewed "He hate Me"

I liked hearing from Vince McMahon and Dick Ebersol, who were the main guys responsible for the league.

Kind of cool seeing that many of the broadcast techniques used to produce XFL games are now used to produce NFL games like the sky camera.
Old 02-03-17, 12:03 AM   #731
DVD Talk Hero

I liked it a lot too. I remember that Bob Costas interview. I was a little worried for little Bob there.

Say what you will about the XFL, at least they gave Vegas a team for a season instead of a few weeks of an off-season
Old 02-03-17, 02:09 AM   #732
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The XFL could have worked if not for 2 major flaws. The owner being a pro wrestling promoter and one owner owning all teams.

People who don't like wrestling were too skeptical. If people like Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta and Frank Fertitta launched the league and each team had different ownership, it would be a no brainer. It would probably never compete with the NFL, but football is the biggest sport in the States by far and there are enough fans that it could easily support an off season league if presented and handled right.
Old 02-03-17, 05:34 AM   #733
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a reason every alternative Football League(XFL,WFL,AFL,USFL,UFL etc) bled money and eventually folded. It's not like everyone who ran these things are morons it's just their is just only a limited interest for what is essentially minor league football. I realize NCAAF is also essentially Minor League Football but with that you have humans who have decades of allegiances to Conferences and Uni's and 100+ years of branding on their side. It is also a defacto like farm system so the biggest NCAA stars generate interest because they will be in the NFL one day.
Old 02-03-17, 05:04 PM   #734
DVD Talk God

The AFL never folded. And the AAFC was semi-absorbed into the NFL.

But once the NFL got to 26 teams post-merger, it's hard to compete with that. The USFL had the right idea with spring football but poor management doomed it.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-03-17, 05:53 PM   #735
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought this was pretty good. The XFL was such an interesting idea that documenting it's fall was pretty interesting. I think it initially had a chance, but forming the league too fast, Vince McMahon becoming at the forefront and not staying in the background, and the medias hatred of him doomed it. Their emphasis on trying to combine wrestling with football also was a bad idea. As a result you got something that wasn't enough like wrestling for the wrestling fans, and seemed too trashy for football fans.
Old 02-03-17, 06:01 PM   #736
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The USFL had the right idea with spring football but poor management doomed it.
It was doing okay until some idiot named Trump drove the league into the ground. Wonder whatever happened to him....

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 02-03-17, 06:22 PM   #737
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If there are enough people like me the XFL failed because of the Wrestling tie in and that it seemed like they would similarly fix any game the wanted like a wrestling match. But having watched a couple games, I'm glad that overhead camera setup they used in now used in the NFL.

USFL was awesome other than it keeping some great players away from the NFL. Seemed for a awhile there they were getting most of the great young QB's and RB's.
Old 02-03-17, 06:38 PM   #738
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the first year of the USFL the Michigan Panthers won twice as many playoff games than the Detroit Lions have won in the past 59 years.
Old 02-03-17, 06:59 PM   #739
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
In the first year of the USFL the Michigan Panthers won twice as many playoff games than the Detroit Lions have won in the past 59 years.
A college teammate of mine played for the Panthers. Later he went from Oakland (Invaders?) to the NFL and counting pre-season played in a game nearly every week for something like 11 straight months.
Old 02-03-17, 10:09 PM   #740
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the USFL (being a Philly fan, The Stars went to all 3 USFL Superbowls until moving to Baltimore for the last season.) The USFL had superstars and that is why it could have worked had Trump not decided to go head to head in the Fall with the NFL. USFL had Steve Young, Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, so it wasn't some low brow product. Trump never wanted to go head to head against the NFL, he just wanted to eventually merge with them like the AFL did so he didn't have to pay the huge amount of money it would take to buy an NFL team. He essentially used the USFL as leverage, and lost.

I never watched one game of the XFL as 'He Hate Me' is the only thing I remember. Even though I was a huge Wrestling fan, once Vince McMahon was involved it would never get credibility with me. You can't mix Football and Wrestling. Wrestling is great because everyone knows it's not real and you are essentially watching a serialized drama with Wrestlers. After watching that Documentary, I can't believe Dick Ebersol thought that was a great idea, as it is mind boggling considering his resume.
Old 02-03-17, 10:26 PM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I loved the USFL (being a Philly fan, The Stars went to all 3 USFL Superbowls until moving to Baltimore for the last season.) The USFL had superstars and that is why it could have worked had Trump not decided to go head to head in the Fall with the NFL. USFL had Steve Young, Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, so it wasn't some low brow product. Trump never wanted to go head to head against the NFL, he just wanted to eventually merge with them like the AFL did so he didn't have to pay the huge amount of money it would take to buy an NFL team. He essentially used the USFL as leverage, and lost.

I never watched one game of the XFL as 'He Hate Me' is the only thing I remember. Even though I was a huge Wrestling fan, once Vince McMahon was involved it would never get credibility with me. You can't mix Football and Wrestling. Wrestling is great because everyone knows it's not real and you are essentially watching a serialized drama with Wrestlers. After watching that Documentary, I can't believe Dick Ebersol thought that was a great idea, as it is mind boggling considering his resume.
By the way, Rod Smart, aka, "He Hate Me", played some games for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2001.
Old 02-03-17, 10:34 PM   #742
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post

From what I got out of the film, Ebersol got involved mainly because he was such good friends with McMahon. I'm guessing he decided to gamble and invest in it as a cheaper alternative to the NFL.
Old 02-04-17, 08:53 AM   #743
DVD Talk God

Haven't seen the film yet, but at point in time, NBC was desperate for sports. They had lost the NFL and MLB. Had no college FB/BB except for ND. Didn't get the NHL until much later. Not sure if the future NBA rights had been won by ESPN/ABC at that point, but they were on the verge of losing that too. All they really had was the Olympics.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-04-17, 11:23 AM   #744
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Haven't seen the film yet, but at point in time, NBC was desperate for sports. They had lost the NFL and MLB. Had no college FB/BB except for ND. Didn't get the NHL until much later. Not sure if the future NBA rights had been won by ESPN/ABC at that point, but they were on the verge of losing that too. All they really had was the Olympics.
I don't want to spoil the documentary for you but one thing Ebersol says at that time was that NBC was losing money on the NFL and he thought it was crazy to continue. I also remember whoever was President of NBC during the late 90's complaining every year about MLB playoffs as NBC had the contract of LCS and World Series. He pretty much said he had to take off highly rated shows like Seinfeld, Fraser, and Friends for a lower rated LCS or World Series game, and thought it was foolish. This really led to rise of Cable TV as they can survive with those type of ratings so you see LCS games on TBS/FS1 and NBA Conference Final games on TNT.

In fairness to Ebersol, this was the era before DVR so nobody saw how unique sports programming would be. Now everyone DVR's their favorite TV show, so commercials are not as relevant as they were when Seinfeld was #1. Plus these networks use sports programming to advertise their current shows throughout the games.
Old 02-04-17, 04:41 PM   #745
DVD Talk God

Never liked Ebersol. A dinosaur if there ever was one.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-08-17, 08:01 PM   #746
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Those were dark years. I am still mad NBC lost the AFC package to CBS.

The XFL probably would have fared worse if they had to air their games on TNN (Before it changed to Spike) or USA.
Old 02-08-17, 08:27 PM   #747
DVD Talk God

Good film. I definitely remember the first game. It stunk. I don't remember the 2nd game and the broadcast turmoil.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 02-11-17, 06:11 PM   #748
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a bunch of games but being young at the time, I can't remember anything about it, only that I didn't think that it was that bad. One of the biggest things I took for this 30 For 30 is what a smarmy bastard Bob Costas can be.
Old 04-14-17, 05:09 PM   #749
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-14-17, 05:32 PM   #750
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome, i've enjoyed some of the random episodes but this is the first one that's right up my alley for my favorite sport and team.

And of course you can GFY. -chess