Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Old 09-29-09, 03:48 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Old 09-29-09, 03:48 PM
  #2  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Delonte West is MIA:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4516345
Old 09-29-09, 05:08 PM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

NBA replacement refs to start season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...r_espn_4517527

Last edited by dx23; 09-29-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 06:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Go Magic!
Old 09-29-09, 06:17 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,012
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
That article actually says NBA refs won't be starting the season.
Old 09-29-09, 06:20 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
That article actually says NBA refs won't be starting the season.
Yes! i forgot to type the word replacements. i fixed my OP.
Old 09-29-09, 06:58 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 6,591
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

It seems like yesterday I was watching the NBA Finals and now it's time for training camp to start.
Old 10-02-09, 04:43 PM
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

NBA players ordered to sit down on the bench or get fined:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...potpourri.html

This is something I approve off since it will keep fucktards like Kevin Garnett on the bench instead of moving around like an idiot.
Old 10-02-09, 05:00 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 10,983
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Bulls-Pacers on Directv tonight. Any other games on tv the next few weeks?
Old 10-02-09, 06:38 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
NBA players ordered to sit down on the bench or get fined:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...potpourri.html

This is something I approve off since it will keep fucktards like Kevin Garnett on the bench instead of moving around like an idiot.
Uh players are still allowed to stand and cheer so your point about 'fucktards like Kevin Garnett' don't mean much. I don't recall Garnett or most players cheering so much that they were standing for 5 minutes non-stop and Garnett was doing most of that stuff during timeouts or loose balls. Not a big deal players are still gonna do it.
Old 10-02-09, 06:56 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

During the playoffs, I recall a few teams had guys that were standing up for long periods of time.
Old 10-02-09, 07:01 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
During the playoffs, I recall a few teams had guys that were standing up for long periods of time.
They probably were especially if it's a big momentum type play and the entire bench stands up. This is such a stupid rule this is a natural human reaction during any game/any sport.
Old 10-02-09, 07:14 PM
  #13  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Uh players are still allowed to stand and cheer so your point about 'fucktards like Kevin Garnett' don't mean much. I don't recall Garnett or most players cheering so much that they were standing for 5 minutes non-stop and Garnett was doing most of that stuff during timeouts or loose balls. Not a big deal players are still gonna do it.
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
They probably were especially if it's a big momentum type play and the entire bench stands up. This is such a stupid rule this is a natural human reaction during any game/any sport.
During the Celtics/Bulls series, players from both team were standing up on the bench for most of the game. Garnett and Eddie House were especially visible, since they were moving around so much and distracting the Bulls players during free throws. I remember that at one point, Ben Gordon made a 3 near the Celtics bench and when he turned around, he had Garnett on his face.
Old 10-02-09, 07:26 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
During the Celtics/Bulls series, players from both team were standing up on the bench for most of the game. Garnett and Eddie House were especially visible, since they were moving around so much and distracting the Bulls players during free throws. I remember that at one point, Ben Gordon made a 3 near the Celtics bench and when he turned around, he had Garnett on his face.
If the Bulls players were distracted by those two during free throws they have more serious problems then I thought. Distractions are going to happen when shooting free throws.
Old 10-02-09, 07:44 PM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
If the Bulls players were distracted by those two during free throws they have more serious problems then I thought. Distractions are going to happen when shooting free throws.
You are missing the point. I don't know if they were distracted or not, since I'm not a Bulls player. The point is that you said that players didn't stand up during the games and I just gave you several examples that they did. Besides, the biggest gripe here is that fans who payed big money for those tickets behind the bench are constantly unable to watch the game because players were standing up and blocking the view. The new NBA policy will put a stop to that and will certainly help in controlling players that tend to go overboard in standing up and being obnoxious on the bench, like Garnett.
Old 10-02-09, 07:54 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
You are missing the point. I don't know if they were distracted or not, since I'm not a Bulls player. The point is that you said that players didn't stand up during the games and I just gave you several examples that they did. Besides, the biggest gripe here is that fans who payed big money for those tickets behind the bench are constantly unable to watch the game because players were standing up and blocking the view. The new NBA policy will put a stop to that and will certainly help in controlling players that tend to go overboard in standing up and being obnoxious on the bench, like Garnett.
I'm not missing the point. I never said players didn't stand during the game. I said I didn't notice players standing for extended periods of time during the game. Like I said there are distractions from fans(especially on the road), opposing players saying thing to a player before he shoots the free throws and other distractions. That stuff happens.

As for fans, well fans stand up during the game too at certain points. My whole point of this is if you want everybody to be still at a sporting event it's not gonna happen. THis isn't a play or symphony orchestra. Unexpected things happen at a sporting event causing spontaneous reaction. As long as someone doesn't run out on the field or court I don't have a problem with it and it shouldn't be a problem in the NBA.
Old 10-02-09, 07:58 PM
  #17  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

There is a huge difference when a regular spectator stands up as to when a 6'5"+ player blocks your view during a game.
Old 10-02-09, 08:02 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I'm not missing the point. I never said players didn't stand during the game. I said I didn't notice players standing for extended periods of time during the game. Like I said there are distractions from fans(especially on the road), opposing players saying thing to a player before he shoots the free throws and other distractions. That stuff happens.

As for fans, well fans stand up during the game too at certain points. My whole point of this is if you want everybody to be still at a sporting event it's not gonna happen. THis isn't a play or symphony orchestra. Unexpected things happen at a sporting event causing spontaneous reaction. As long as someone doesn't run out on the field or court I don't have a problem with it and it shouldn't be a problem in the NBA.
There isn't a problem with spontaneous reaction. People are allowed to stand up; just not stay standing as the play continues which I recalled happened often during the Bulls/Celtics series.
Old 10-02-09, 08:04 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

You're trying really, really hard to disagree with this. Here's the bottom line: People pay to see the game, so they should be able to see the game.

People pay hundreds -- even thousands -- of dollars to sit close to the court. It became increasingly common for players on the bench to stand for several minutes at a time, blocking the view of ticketholders. Especially at the end of games. I recall complaining to my dad about this several times while watching the most recent playoffs on TV. It's happened when I've been to games, too.

No doubt players will get excited and jump up from time to time. But then they'll sit down. Or else their ass will get fined. And the entire bench won't stand until their team scores its first basket. Or else their ass will get fined.
Old 10-02-09, 08:05 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 3,835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
There is a huge difference when a regular spectator stands up as to when a 6'5"+ player blocks your view during a game.
Not to mention the person behind will yell "Sit the hell down! I can't see!" And then an usher will make sure they do.
Old 10-02-09, 09:10 PM
  #21  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,920
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
NBA replacement refs to start season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...r_espn_4517527
From watchingparts of the Bulls game tonight, if tonight was any indication how games will be officiated with the replacements, than I encourage the NBA refs to stay out as long as possible. It was great watching a game without a whistle every other possesion.
Old 10-03-09, 08:23 PM
  #22  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Brandan Wright could be out up to 6 month with an injured shoulder

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 10-08-09, 12:29 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,452
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Memphis Grizzlies guard Allen Iverson could miss three weeks after an MRI revealed a partial tear in his left hamstring.

The Grizzlies made the announcement before Wednesday night's exhibition game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. If the timetable is correct, Iverson would miss all of preseason, and his status for the season opener at home against the Detroit Pistons on Oct. 28 would be in jeopardy.

"The way I see it, I'm glad it's happening right now rather than in the season," Iverson said in a pregame press conference. "That's the only positive thing I can take out of the whole thing."

Iverson, declaring himself a quick healer, said he expects to be back in time for the opener. He was hurt during the Grizzlies' training camp in Birmingham, Ala. last week and said he was just starting to get into shape after not playing basketball for five months waiting to see where he was going to land for this season.

"My legs were starting to feel a lot better than they had the first three or four days," Iverson said. "Then, just like that, I hurt the hamstring."

Entering his 14th season, the four-time NBA scoring champ signed with the Grizzlies last month, the biggest name ever to join the franchise. Iverson said he has never dealt with hamstring problems in his career and wants to make sure he is completely healed before returning to the court.

"My whole thing is to work as hard as I can to try and get back to 100 percent," Iverson said. "I don't want to try and come back too early and have this thing lingering on throughout the whole season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0TMmhz6Hl
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Old 10-08-09, 07:08 PM
  #24  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

If (big IF) Iverson becomes a true leader and team player and Randolph comes to play hard day in and day out without killing team chemistry, I could see Memphis becoming a sleeper playoff team this year. They have Gay and Mayo becoming superstars, size with Gasol, Thabeet and the 7' Iran guy, good PGs with Conley and Marcus Williams. I can see them inflicting some damage in the West if Iverson and Randolph step up.
Old 10-08-09, 07:11 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

I heard they were running a deal in Minneapolis where you buy a Lexus and get 2 season tix to the Wolves.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.