Sports Talk (Reverse) Sheep 4 — A New Season

Old 07-28-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sports Talk (Reverse) Sheep 4 — A New Season

Game is closed. No more entries.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exaxt opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state of the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

Critical praise for the game
Spoiler:

"These things are the most fun way to waste time at work since GemCraft." - maxfisher

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Bus for quite possibly the funniest commentary of any of the sheep games." - orangecrush18

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as Χ2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a Χ2 round and a +6 penalty in a Χ3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head, with the exception of questions followed by a √ Check. (Not always in every game). (See more in the Sets section below).
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unless specifically mentioned in the question, all sports teams include any of the current sports teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, or MLS. If there is a question that encompasses past teams that existed (or have since moved) in those (or other) leagues, then old teams are valid.
  • Question spreadsheets for your convenience: Excel | Google Docs
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Wolf Questions (previously "Cromulent Questions"). Some questions, marked as W:, are designed to improve the scores of most players, while penalizing a few. Think of them as a Reverse Sheep question with elements of a Sheep Question, or a Wolf culling the Sheepiest of the group. The most common answer is scored via Reverse rules. All other correct answers are scored via Sheep rules. Example below:
    Suppose the question is as follows:

W: Name a fruit.

And the answers were:

The Bus, Pharoh, JasonF, orangecrush18: Blueberry
    Red Dog, Tracer Bullet: Banana
    VinVega, Mordred: Apple
    Venusian: Black

Answers are scored as follows:
    Blueberry: +4
    Banana: -2
    Apple: -2
    Black: +6 (wrong answer)
    The bottom line is you want an answer that is correct and common, but not too common.
  • NEW! Slam Dunks {sd} This time around, players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, each {sd} acts as a Χ2 multiplier. You are allowed to use up to two {sd}s, for a total multiplier of Χ4.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a {sd} to eliminate the effect of the multiplier (if you answered correctly). If your answer is unique, it will multiply your Unique Bonus. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
    • In Wolf questions, a {sd} can act in three different ways. For the most common answer, it turns the answer from something that scores Reverse points into a question that scores Sheep points. For the less-common answers, it acts as a multiplier, increasing your Sheep score. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.

This chart may explain it more clearly. As said before, each player has five of these to use per game. When you send in your answers, simply add {sd} to the end of the answer, and I will know that you want that answer to fall under Slam Dunk rules.
  • NEW! Sets The game will be broken up into different sets. This game, there's seven sets of four questions each. They affect the game in two ways:
    • You may choose one set and do as much research as you wish on those four questions. This means you can use Google, Wikipedia, Pharoh's sons, JasonF's wife, etc. to figure out your answer. Rockmjd23, I guess for you that means you can go above and beyond and call Bob Costas himself and ask him to review your questions. I don't know.
    • The winner of each set receives a bonus at the end of the game. Their score is reduced by 15% (rounded up) of the total spread of points between the first place player and the last place player at the end of the game. Take the finals scores of Round 3 as example. The bonus in that game would be 15% of 205, or 31 points. For each set you've won, your score is reduced by -31. In this game, of course, we have no way of knowing what the spread will be.

When sending in your answers, tell me (at the beginning or end, or by a simple * mark on the answers), which set of questions you used the Google exemption on. It won't affect your score in any way (this time), but it will be fun to know.

The Questions

Set 1
  1. S: Sports Illustrated used to run (and possibly still runs) commercials that showcase a special gift with a new subscription. Aside from a book commemorating that year's champions, name something they'd give away.
  2. R: Χ3 Name a current or former NBA player who is at least 7 feet tall.
  3. W: Name a martial arts / fighting / boxing movie that was released in the 80s and culminates / ends with our protagonist participating in a match or tournament.
  4. S: Name an American college or university that is well-known for its hockey program.

Set 2
  5. S: Name an NFL team that seems to perpetually have a chip on its shoulder or have fans who believe the team is being persecuted.
  6. S: Name the ugliest man in the NBA (player or staff).
  7. S: MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. Name a martial arts discipline that is used a lot in MMA. Be specific (i.e. not "kicking") but remember this is a Sheep question (so Bogu Kumite might be a bad answer).
  8. R: Name a golfer who won at least one men's Major while Tiger Woods was a teenager.

Set 3
  9. R: Name an Olympic sport or event that uses a ball or projectile.
  10. S: Name a female soccer player.
  11. S: You're watching the game and a commercial comes on. What company's product or brand is it advertising?
  12. W: Name a city or town that has served as a start or finish for a Tour de France stage at least 25 times. Seven of the ten most populated cities in France have done so, along with eleven others.

Set 4
  13. S: Name a team that has moved cities and, as a result, has a name that doesn't match the city and/or no longer makes sense. (Imagine if a Texan team called the Alamos relocated to Wisconsin and kept their name).
  14. S: Name the best athlete to ever wear a single-digit number on their jersey.
  15. R: Χ3 Name an American scripted television series that aired at least 12 episodes after 1980 and was primarily about sports, an athlete, or someone working in sports. Hint: Seinfeld is a very wrong answer.
  16. R: Name a country that hosted a Formula One Grand Prix from 2000 on.

Set 5
  17. R: Name an Olympic event in Athletics (track and field).
  18. S: Rickey Henderson feels that Rickey Henderson is now as humble as Rickey Henderson can be. Aside from Rickey Henderson, name another famous Oakland A.
  19. S: Name the absolute worst football division in the NFL.
  20. R: Name a professional football club or national team that David Beckham, Ronaldo, or Franz Beckenbauer played for.

Set 6
  21. S: Name a country outside of North America that has a well-known professional basketball league.
  22. S: Name the best female tennis player of all time.
  23. S: Name an American Gladiator.
  24. R: Name a team at ICC's Cricket World Cup in 2007. (There's a lot of overlap with the last cricket question).

Set 7
  25. S: Name a public university that is not known for their sports programs.
  26. R: Χ3 Name a major league team whose main, current logo contains a depiction of a human being.
  27. W: Name a sports video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
  28. R: Name a men's or women's national team that has had 2 or more appearances at the NHL's World Cup of Hockey or the FIH's Hockey World Cup.

Past Sports games seemed to be capped at around 40 players and, after running some smaller games, I have no problem running a large one this time. So the cap on this game will be 42 players. I am, absolutely, seriously, capping the game at 42 players. I am giving everyone here a forewarning. The only players who have a guaranteed spot above and beyond those initial 42 are the following people, who have run Sheep games before:

fumanstan
JasonF
Jeremy517
Mordred
Rockmjd23
the big train
Tracer Bullet

As well as yours truly, making 50 players. If submissions start to slow down to a trickle, however, I may just give a brief warning and then close the game.

I assume that the game will run sometime next week.

Good luck!

Last edited by The Bus; 08-03-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sports Talk (Reverse) Sheep 4 — A New Season

Sports Sheep is the only game I regularly enter, looking forward to the next installment!
Old 07-28-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

In!
Old 07-28-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I like the slam dunks!
Old 07-28-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, the dunks are a good idea.
Old 07-28-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scared of the control the slam dunks give me, but absolutely in.
Old 07-28-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in. Now that I know what I'm doing a bit more with these games. Slam Dunk angle seems interesting.
Old 07-28-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna slam dunk all over your faces.
Old 07-28-09, 09:05 PM

Can't wait!
Old 07-28-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sent some suggestions. As per usual they are pretty weak.
Old 07-28-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how exactly is the Slam Dunk going to work? It sounds like I will have a certain number to allocate, and each one will be worth a specific multiplier? So I can spread them out if I want, or if I am supremely confident in one of my answers, I can load all the slam dunks into that answer?
Old 07-28-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

My only suggestion is to focus more on the most popular sports of this forum. Unfortunately, that includes soccer and not horse racing. I'd suggest keeping the questions focused on: NFL, MLB, NBA, CBB, CFB, soccer, NHL, Golf, and Tennis. No cricket. No lawn bowling. No rugby. And just because soccer is somewhat popular, it really shouldn't have more questions than the NFL.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-28-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My only suggestion is to focus more on the most popular sports of this forum. Unfortunately, that includes soccer and not horse racing. I'd suggest keeping the questions focused on: NFL, MLB, NBA, CBB, CFB, soccer, NHL, Golf, and Tennis.
I don't expect to stray much from the format that is used. I've gotten a lot of suggestions. Some of them I like a lot, a lot of others I feel like would be hard to answer.

What I will do regarding the matches is group them into similar themes (not necessarily the same sport). You'll be able to research one of these matches.

The mix of questions will be very similar to ones in the past.
Old 07-28-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So how exactly is the Slam Dunk going to work? It sounds like I will have a certain number to allocate, and each one will be worth a specific multiplier? So I can spread them out if I want, or if I am supremely confident in one of my answers, I can load all the slam dunks into that answer?
I haven't completely figured it out yet, but assume you get, say, four Χ2 Slam Dunks. I don't think chaining more than two of them together would be a good idea. We'll see.
Old 07-28-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
The mix of questions will be very similar to ones in the past.
Then a reverse sheep horse racing question would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's how the breakdown is so far:

Football : 3
Basketball : 4
Soccer :
Hockey : 1
Baseball : 2
Olympics : 3
Other : 2
Not Sports : 4
Gold : 1
All Sports : 1
College Sports : 2

"Not sports" means questions that are about sports, but have answers that are not. (Think of the Queen "We Are the Champions" question).

I think one of the matches / groups may be "Greatest Hits" and I'll go back and take some of my favorite questions from the earlier games.

Since the matches make breaking up the game easier, I fully expect this to be a more loaded game (with more questions and more answers).
Old 07-29-09, 12:01 AM

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, at least there's only three throwball questions.

And BTW, cricket and rugby are awesome sports.
Old 07-29-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
We are playing Tournament Edition, not Power Up mode.
Old 07-29-09, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we need like a combat sports sheep (i would attempt to run one but it prob be a pain in the ass)
Old 07-29-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully I can get my answers in before the game closes. I love these games, but I work erratic hours.

As usual, I'll send my answers anyway.
Old 07-29-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Here's how the breakdown is so far:

Football : 3
Basketball : 4
Soccer :
Hockey : 1
Baseball : 2
Olympics : 3
Other : 2
Not Sports : 4
Gold : 1
All Sports : 1
College Sports : 2

"Not sports" means questions that are about sports, but have answers that are not. (Think of the Queen "We Are the Champions" question).

I think one of the matches / groups may be "Greatest Hits" and I'll go back and take some of my favorite questions from the earlier games.

Since the matches make breaking up the game easier, I fully expect this to be a more loaded game (with more questions and more answers).

I hope basketball isn't all NBA since the B in that acronym is used loosely.

What the heck is 'Gold?'
Old 07-29-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
And BTW, cricket and rugby are awesome sports.
So is water polo and team handball but I couldn't tell you any specifics about it.
Old 07-29-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
What the heck is 'Gold?'
My guess is golf.
Old 07-29-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't expect to stray much from the format that is used. I've gotten a lot of suggestions. Some of them I like a lot, a lot of others I feel like would be hard to answer.
Thanks to a billboard I passed on my way to work for a few weeks, I can now name a UFC fighter besides Brock Lesnar.
Old 07-29-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

As long as there's a question to which "Brock Lesnar" is the only correct answer, I'm all for adding MME stuff.

I've got a couple of possible Qs I'll PM you with shortly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.