Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

CFL 2009 Season

Old 07-28-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CFL 2009 Season

Since there seems to be a few CFL fans here on the forum, I thought that I'd see what kind of interest this thread might draw.

I actually googled Michael Bishop last week to see where he was, because given the atrocious play of some of the QBs in the CFL so far this year, especially in Winnipeg, I was surprised no team had picked him up yet. A couple of days later, presto:

BLUE BOMBERS OFFICIALLY ADD QB BISHOP TO PRACTICE ROSTER

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have made it official by adding import quarterback Michael Bishop to their practice roster.

"We're very pleased to add a quarterback with Michael's experience and skill set," said Bombers head coach Mike Kelly in a statement.

The 33-year old Bishop had been playing in the Indoor Football league but started eight games for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2008, throwing for 2,224 yards and seven touchdown while adding 202 yards and four rushing TD's.

The Kansas State product enjoyed his best CFL season in 2007 with the Toronto Argonauts, leading the team to 11-1 as a starter while throwing for 2,920 yards and 22 touchdowns.

The Bombers have struggled mightily this and sit dead last in the Eastern Division. One of the biggest areas of concern for the team is the quarterback position where starter Stefan LeFors ranks last among starting quarterbacks with 459 yards passing and a completion percentage below 50%. He has thrown just two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Anyone know where Casey Printers is now?
Old 07-28-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: CFL 2009 Season

I talked to Bishop as he was coming out onto the field for practice yesterday morning and I'm excited. He can throw at least 94 yards and that arm is really going to help us. We have two 1,000 yard receivers (we let our third 1,000 yard receiver Armstrong go because he refused to play in the first regular season game against Edmonton because he didn't want to rotate with the other receivers (you need 3 Canadian players playing on your team) and a good running back in Fred Reid and Lavarus Giles did really well in the pre-season and he'll get better as time goes on.

Our defense is the best. In that ugly 19-5 loss against Toronto our defense was on the field most of the game and the score could have been a lot worse. The field goal opportunity was because Jovon Johnson got an INT at about the 23-yard line and after getting a 2 and out Serna kicked the field goal.

Bishop will probably start on Saturday in Toronto. We're 1-3 but we are a rebuilding team.

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
Anyone know where Casey Printers is now?
The Bombers had a mini-camp in Florida and Printers was there but the Bombers weren't impressed with his attitude.

Last edited by nateman; 07-28-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That last game was hard to watch. The Bombers just had nothing going for them offensively. I honestly don't think that I've seen a game with a team being so lackluster offensively. I think that Kelly didn't have much of a choice but to get Bishop, given how LeFors and the other QBs played last week.

And I wonder what is going to happen with Arland Bruce now? Doesn't seem like the Argos want him, and there mightn't be many suitors out there, especially since he bashed his coach and QB in the media.
Old 07-28-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is there any way to watch CFL games in the US? I've never seen a game but would glady watch if it were on. I figure it's gotta be better than arena at least.
Old 07-28-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Als will be 18 - 0

... ...
Old 07-28-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
So is there any way to watch CFL games in the US? I've never seen a game but would glady watch if it were on. I figure it's gotta be better than arena at least.
Some of the RSNs carry games.

VS. carried The Grey Cup last year.
Old 07-28-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well least the Ticats have 2 wins this season already.Bit of a QB dilemma since they want Porter as their QB but they get a lot more offense with Glenn coming off the bench.We'll see who starts vs the Lions friday night.
Old 07-29-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TiCats just got Bruce as well:

The Arland Bruce saga appears to be over as the Toronto Argonauts have shipped the disgruntled receiver to their cross-province rivals the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In return, Toronto will receive a conditional third round draft pick and the rights to non-import defensive end Corey Mace. Mace, who has spent the past two seasons with the Buffalo Bills in the NFL, has already agreed to terms with Toronto
Old 07-29-09, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Well least the Ticats have 2 wins this season already.Bit of a QB dilemma since they want Porter as their QB but they get a lot more offense with Glenn coming off the bench.We'll see who starts vs the Lions friday night.
Glenn didn't play very well last year with the Bombers (He was outstanding in 2007) and we sort of had the same QB dilemma that Hamilton is having right now. After Glenn lost 4 games in 4 starts he lost his starting position to Ryan Dinwiddie but Dinwiddie struggled and Glenn got the job back.

For now I don't think the Tiger-Cats need to make a decision on who starts. Porter will start the game and if he doesn't do well they'll put in Glenn like they've been doing so far.
Old 07-31-09, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The Als will be 18 - 0

... ...
Not anymore they won't.

Edmonton's defense really stepped it up last night.
Old 07-31-09, 05:50 AM

ESPN 360 is worth a shot.
Old 07-31-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The Als will be 18 - 0

... ...

Spoiler:
Any idea how hard it was to find an image with eighteen Als on it?

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-01-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

in my area (baltimore/dc) the local Comcast Sports Net shows live feeds of games from TSN (there's a game on tonight at 7:30 between British Columbia and Hamilton
Old 07-31-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the Ti-Cats have matched their win total for all of last season.Course 2 of the 3 wins have been against the Lions but they certainly look miles better than last year.Great game for Cobb,Porter was solid and Bruce was a non factor in a very limited role in his 1st game with the Cats.
Old 08-01-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do they ever call offsides in the CFL? Most of the time the receivers are 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before the ball is even snapped. Whats the exact rule for offsides in Canada?
Old 08-01-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Do they ever call offsides in the CFL? Most of the time the receivers are 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before the ball is even snapped. Whats the exact rule for offsides in Canada?
Thing is unlike the NFL you have a full yard between the lines and you often have all the backs and receivers in motion so they have a running start which makes the offsides tougher to call i guess.I often think they are well past the line so im not really sure why it doesnt get called.
Old 08-01-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they might throw out the rule book on certain plays-but I like the CFL game and its rules over the NFL. When you only have 3 downs-you have to make things happen and in the NFL they run the same old boring plays year after year. When someone throws a lateral in the NFL -all the highlight shows replay it a thousand times when thats an every game occurance in the CFL. Expect the unexpected in the CFL. Expect offsides,holding and pass interference in the NFL. I also like the one point rouge in the CFL. That will never be seen in the NFL because the FG kickers are so acurate that its boring. Its almost impossible to miss a FG in a domed stadium in the States.
Old 08-01-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bishop played pretty good today, but Joseph was brutal, throwing 4 interceptions (although not all were his fault). Regardless, to lose a game on a time count violation was brutal. It cost the Argos 10 yards, which made the attempted field goal a 57 year attempt. Even though the kick had the distance, it hit the uprights and didn't bounce through.
Old 08-01-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not anymore they won't.

Edmonton's defense really stepped it up last night.
Oh well, so much for that.

Too many field goals. Once they fix that red zone offense problem, they'll be rolling again.
Old 08-02-09, 09:16 AM

Bishop played pretty good today, but Joseph was brutal, throwing 4 interceptions (although not all were his fault). Regardless, to lose a game on a time count violation was brutal. It cost the Argos 10 yards, which made the attempted field goal a 57 year attempt. Even though the kick had the distance, it hit the uprights and didn't bounce through.
Bishop played great. Our defense once again played outstanding and the offense is going to be really good. Considering Bishop only joined the Bombers on Monday he played damn good.
Old 08-07-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A double header tonight, and tomorrow night:

August 7th

Toronto at Montreal 7:30 PM ET
Saskatchewan at BC 10:30 PM ET

August 8th

Edmonton at Hamilton 6:30 PM ET
Winnipeg at Calgary 9:30 PM ET
Old 08-07-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

A double header tonight, and tomorrow night:

August 7th

Toronto at Montreal 7:30 PM ET

Live on CSN-Mid Atl, MSG+, and Altitude. I might check some of it out.

August 8th

Edmonton at Hamilton 6:30 PM ET
Live on CSN-Mid Atl

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-07-09 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some wild and wacky football in the Lions/Roughriders game last night, including a brutal INT from the 1 yard line, a fumbled punt that was returned for a touchdown (after it was legally kicked down the field), and a blocked extra point towards the end of the game.

And the Argos got shut out, something pretty rare in the high-scoring CFL (last time was 2006).
Old 08-08-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big win for the TiCats on a rainy night in Hamilton over the Eskimos.Didnt look like a good night for them early on but they hung in there and got a big run from Cobb late in the game that set up the winning TD.Cats are now 4-2
Old 08-09-09, 09:52 AM

Still need a little work on the offense but it was much improved and Reid and Bernard were awesome last night. Our running game is really good. Bishop is a tough son of a gun. He took a lot of big hits; especially when he got knocked out cold and didn't leave the game at all.

The defense played outstanding as always. We lost but we're seeing good progress with the offense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.