Reload this Page >

College Hoops, NCAA Tournament 2nd Round, March 21-22

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

College Hoops, NCAA Tournament 2nd Round, March 21-22

Old 03-22-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: College Hoops, NCAA Tournament 2nd Round, March 21-22

I'm still in the lead? Really? Good god. I wish there was money in this one.

Regionals schedule

THU-

PUR/UCONN 7:07
XAV/PITT 7:27

MIZZ/MEM 9:37
NOVA/DUKE 9:57

FRI-

ARIZ/LOU 7:07
SYR/OKLA 7:27

KAN/MICH ST 9:37
GONZ/UNC 9:57
Old 03-22-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Wow. What was the Marquette coach yelling through his hand?
That dude losing it was pretty amusing. He looked like a fat, Lex Luthor. I suppose he covered up so that the tv didn't pick it up and it come back to haunt him. Perhaps he was thinking of the children.....
Old 03-22-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Arizona is left carrying the Pac-10 banner into the Sweet 16, it looked for awhile like USC might be joining them.

Spoiler:
For Deftones:

ASU has their best season in over a decade while UA has their worst in a quarter century, and Arizona's still dancing into the second weekend while the Harden era ends not with a bang but a whimper.
Old 03-22-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Interesting pic, but not helpful in this case. I'm not one of you twenty-something bubbas, can someone explain to this old fart in words?
I'm 38 and I understand what onions means. Raftery (which is where it comes from) is a geezer and has shouted it out for years. He drew you a picture ---- what more do you want?
Old 03-22-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'm still in the lead? Really? Good god. I wish there was money in this one.

Regionals schedule

THU-

PUR/UCONN 7:07
XAV/PITT 7:27

MIZZ/MEM 9:37
NOVA/DUKE 9:57

FRI-

ARIZ/LOU 7:07
SYR/OKLA 7:27

KAN/MICH ST 9:37
GONZ/UNC 9:57
I have to travel Friday night, looks like I won't miss too much, except for Cuse/OU - I'll have to record it. High interest in both of the late Thursday games, glad I won't miss those.
Old 03-22-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm thankful my fantasy baseball draft on Saturday night won't conflict with a Louisville game!
Old 03-22-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I didn't know better, I'd ask if this is a Quin Snyder Mizzou team.
Just too cold for Anderson. They have made some good strides since getting team captains that wanted to lead instead of being off court thugs.

It has been painful watching them play this year but a W is a W.
Old 03-22-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Izzo....tourney first weekend = money.
Izzo is now 8-1 in the round of 32. The only loss was in '07 to 1 seed UNC as an 8.

That's 8 Sweet 16s in 12 years. not too shabby. MSU and Duke are the only two that can claim that. And duke is going to get rolled by 'Nova while the Spartans shall dispatch KU in the same manner they did in January
Old 03-22-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
while the Spartans shall dispatch KU in the same manner they did in January
Kansas is not the same team you beat back in January. You also don't have the luxury of being at home this time.
Old 03-23-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
Izzo is now 8-1 in the round of 32. The only loss was in '07 to 1 seed UNC as an 8.

That's 8 Sweet 16s in 12 years. not too shabby. MSU and Duke are the only two that can claim that. And duke is going to get rolled by 'Nova while the Spartans shall dispatch KU in the same manner they did in January
I knew the numbers were something like that. Unfortunately, his team is too good this year - it's much more lucrative when they are a lower seed/dog. It was too many points to give so I had throw them into a ML parlay. Fortunately, the other teams came through.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-23-09 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Regional announcers:

Glendale - Enberg/Bilas
Boston - Verne/Raft
Indy - Johnson/Elmore
Memphis - Nantz/Kellogg
Old 03-23-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Some numbers:

In terms of seeding, this is the chalkiest sweet 16 in the history of the current format. Average seed = 3.06

This is the first year where the top-12 seeds all got to the Sweet 16.
Old 03-23-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking forward to the Gus Johnson call during the Zona/Louisville game
Old 03-23-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost never watch NIT games but I'm intrigued enough to check in on both Kentucky at Creighton and Davidson at St. Mary's tonight.
Old 03-23-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
Kansas is not the same team you beat back in January. You also don't have the luxury of being at home this time.
nor is this the same MSU team. they will roll 5 guys at aldrich and Walton will handle Collins. it'll be a good game, but 2 on 5 won't work this time. Dayton was terrible and against a real team KU would have had a hard time advancing the way they played yesterday. Delvon/Goran/Draymond/Raymar aren't going to stand flat footed and throw the ball at aldrich's forearms 10 times
Old 03-23-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far in my $ league I am at 41 correct.

Next round I have the final 8 as ...
Lou
Mich St
CT
Mizz
Pitt
'Nova
UNC
'Cuse
Old 03-23-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very good Pat Forde article on the player you all love to hate, Eric Devendorf. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...3&sportCat=ncb
Old 03-23-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 386 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
I'll give Siena come credit - they came to play hard. Pitino's not going to be easy on the Cards in practice the next three days.
Man, Siena didn't cave once under the press. They brought their A game for sure. It kinda felt like the Cards came in and expected to walk through this one, which isn't their style in the least.

I was yelling something fierce at them cutting away to show the other games. Marquette I understand since they truly had a shot, but they were wasting time on the others.
Old 03-23-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Very good Pat Forde article on the player you all love to hate, Eric Devendorf. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...3&sportCat=ncb
love Devendorf, though I would never condone hitting a woman in any circumstance. When he was in high school and on the AAU circuit - cats would laugh at this lil' white boy coming in the gym and talking trash... right up until he would dunk on them, or drop in 8 straight 3's. He's no worse at trash-talking and all that than probably 50 other guys in college bball right now, but people notice because he's an outlier due to his skin color - The Jason Williams Syndrome (what do 4 of the "5 most hated players" listed in the linked article have in common). It's the other side of the coin of the black player who gets lauded for "speaking so well".
Old 03-23-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog will like this one: Our local paper ran an article on Friday titled "We Love March Madness, but not These Guys". The list?

Duke
North Dakota State
Eric Devendorf
Jay Bilas
Old 03-23-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why did they include North Dakota St.? They were a really good story.
Old 03-23-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Why did they include North Dakota St.? They were a really good story.
And they gave Kansas a great game.....Ben Woodside was amazing. Reminded me of Curry from last year, minus winning 3 games
Old 03-23-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually the article was from Slate.com, didn't see that earlier....

We like the tourney, but not these guys

By Josh Levin
slate.com

For the first time in nearly three decades, roundball curmudgeon Billy Packer will not be on CBS complaining about the quality of play in the Final Four. Without Packer around to slag on the Missouri Valley Conference and over*praise the ACC — and to say other things one should never utter around a live mike — you might think that this year’s NCAA Tournament would be nothing but sweetness and light. You couldn’t be more wrong. Once again, we are your guide to everything evil in college hoops.

Duke: With point guard and assistant-coach-in-waiting Greg Paulus getting an early start on his bench-sitting ca*reer, this squad fails to fulfill the most-irksome Blue Devil trait: the cultivation of underachievers who comport them*selves like overachievers. But coach/American hero/ethicist Mike Krzyzewski got credit for unearthing a diamond in the rough on why Elliot Williams wasn’t seeing more time. “He’s been really good in practice and always has a good at*titude,” Coach K explained. This, of course, is the Duke way — basketball as leadership seminar, where winning is an outgrowth of “a good attitude” rather than the simple act of replacing a substandard player (Paulus) with one who can pass, shoot, play defense, and dribble.

North Dakota State University: Believe it or not, the North Dakota State Bison have a shot at beating defend*ing champion Kansas today. Point guard Ben Woodside, who scored 60 in a game earlier this season, will put up enough points to keep things close. So what’s to hate about the plucky Bison? They’re a bunch of old men. Way back in 2004, the North Dakota State coaching staff redshirted Woodside and three other incoming freshmen with an eye toward 2009, NDSU’s first year of tourney eligibility after transitioning into Division I play. Running an extended*stay university isn’t quite cheating, but it is a bit devious.

Eric Devendorf: Three years ago, Robert Weintraub wrote a piece for Slate on college basketball’s “Annoying White Guys” — those players, often coaches’ sons, who irri*tatingly scrap their way into our living rooms every March. At the end of his essay, Weintraub nominated Syracuse guard Eric Devendorf as the NCAA’s next-gen Annoying White Guy. Never has a better prediction been made. In December, he was suspended from school for assaulting a female student. Upon his return to the court, the shooting guard played with the joylessness and hostility of a school*yard bully.

Jay Bilas: With Billy Packer now yelling at the TV from home, you might think that the NCAA Tournament would be free from the scourge of the know-it-all in a network blazer. Tune in anytime, though, and you’ ll hear Packer’s heir, Jay Bilas, a color commentator who never misses a chance to point out that he’s the smartest guy in the arena.
Old 03-24-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 386 Likes on 278 Posts

If anyone is bored and looking for a good laugh, rivals.com posted an article about CBS cutting off the Louisville game. The feedback responses are great for a quick pick-me-up. I'd say 50% of them are from UK fans.

Oh, and they couldn't find a better fan picture to represent our city? Why in the hell do these outlets always pick the yayhoo's to show.
Old 03-24-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Oh, and they couldn't find a better fan picture to represent our city? Why in the hell do these outlets always pick the yayhoo's to show.
You're not kidding.

I was disappointed the way CBS handled it. However, I just went online after the game and watched the parts I missed there. Had I known there was a chance of CBS cutting away during the late stages of the game, I would have had the online feed up and running.