Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Old 02-04-09, 09:38 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2


Last edited by dx23; 02-04-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 11:23 AM
  #2  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,743
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Previous thread: HERE
Old 02-04-09, 12:23 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,838
Received 861 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

I wonder if Chris Paul will make the All-Star game. Possible replacements? Seems like point guards are going down left and right... Deron Williams is out again, and Billups just went down yesterday. Geez.
Old 02-04-09, 01:50 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I wonder if Chris Paul will make the All-Star game. Possible replacements? Seems like point guards are going down left and right... Deron Williams is out again, and Billups just went down yesterday. Geez.
Paul's just day to day.
Old 02-04-09, 01:51 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

I really really hope that the stunt Popovich pulled against Denver last night comes back to bite him in the ass somehow. Giving his big 3 an entire night off against an opponent they will be jockeying with for playoff seeding. Especially when their next game isn't until Sunday!
Old 02-04-09, 04:06 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Gerald Wallace has to ride back to Charlotte on a bus because he can't fly while he rehabs his collapsed lung!
Old 02-04-09, 04:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I really really hope that the stunt Popovich pulled against Denver last night comes back to bite him in the ass somehow. Giving his big 3 an entire night off against an opponent they will be jockeying with for playoff seeding. Especially when their next game isn't until Sunday!
Come back to bite him? Reminds me of a word.... begening with a K...

Yea I had the game on in the background. Did I read above Billups was hurt during the game? DIdnt see or hear anything. I despise Denver and glad the Spurs B- Team gave them a good run for their money. Spurs dont need to sweat them in the playoffs.

And I read Carmelo has declated himself the best SF in the West.... yea thats why hes constantly an All Star... piece of shit.
Old 02-04-09, 04:33 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,016
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
And I read Carmelo has declated himself the best SF in the West.... yea thats why hes constantly an All Star... piece of shit.
The local beat writer called him "arguably the best small forward alive."

Then again, the idiocy of the Denver sports media doesn't seem to be limited to him. On sports radio today they were talking about what Melo needs to do to get to that consistent All-Star level, and they rattled off the NBA forwards that made the game and said what sets them apart is their defense. I couldn't believe any discussion of what makes Dirk and Amare good would even mention the word defense.

Last edited by WallyOPD; 02-04-09 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 04:41 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Come back to bite him? Reminds me of a word.... begening with a K...

Yea I had the game on in the background. Did I read above Billups was hurt during the game? DIdnt see or hear anything. I despise Denver and glad the Spurs B- Team gave them a good run for their money. Spurs dont need to sweat them in the playoffs.

And I read Carmelo has declated himself the best SF in the West.... yea thats why hes constantly an All Star... piece of shit.
Yeah, Billups hurt his ankle I believe in the 2nd quarter and didn't return. Doesn't seem like there's much news on it so maybe he's fine.
Old 02-04-09, 04:47 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Come back to bite him? Reminds me of a word.... begening with a K...
"coming back to bite him" = "San Antonio finishing 1 game behind Denver for the 4th playoff spot" = not having home court advantage

something like that

has nothing do with karma
Old 02-04-09, 04:54 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Heres what Anthony said:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...st?eref=fromSI

"Who is the best small forward in the Western Conference? In the mind of Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, there is no doubt. "I'm the only one out here in the West," Anthony said Tuesday. "Can you name one better?" After falling out of favor with the voting public while injured and being snubbed by coaches who filled out the roster for the NBA All-Star Game, Anthony now has the chance to show how wrong everybody could be."

With what you say Wally, Id hate to live in Denver.
Old 02-04-09, 06:08 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 36,838
Received 861 Likes on 679 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Heres what Anthony said:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...st?eref=fromSI

"Who is the best small forward in the Western Conference? In the mind of Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, there is no doubt. "I'm the only one out here in the West," Anthony said Tuesday. "Can you name one better?" After falling out of favor with the voting public while injured and being snubbed by coaches who filled out the roster for the NBA All-Star Game, Anthony now has the chance to show how wrong everybody could be."

With what you say Wally, Id hate to live in Denver.
That actually makes some sense... I mean, he'd be delusional to compare himself to Lebron, for instance, but in the West?

Pierce, Butler, Granger, Vince Carter, Marion, Turkoglu... pretty much every decent SF is in the East. Amare, Duncan, Dirk, David West are all PFs.
Old 02-04-09, 06:42 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,296
Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Gerald Wallace has to ride back to Charlotte on a bus because he can't fly while he rehabs his collapsed lung!
Was he still in LA? Long ass trip. I'm sure it's not a Greyhound, though.
Old 02-04-09, 08:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Looks like LeBron is answering the call with 28 at halftime.
Old 02-04-09, 08:40 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

James, though, promised he won't be gunning for Bryant's mark.

"Hey, man. I just go out and play my game," James said after leading Cleveland to a 101-83 win over Toronto on Tuesday. "I'm not a video game where you can just expect me to go out there and score 60 or 70. I play the game to win the game. I'm not into individual accolades. Kobe Bryant's performance was unbelievable. I watched every second of it. It's not about individuals in this league.

"I'm not trying to outdo Kobe or anybody on their team."
Yeah, my ass he's not
Old 02-04-09, 10:04 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

James had 52 points, 11 assists, and 10 rebounds.

Have to say, he did it classier than Kobe.
Old 02-04-09, 10:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
James had 52 points, 11 assists, and 10 rebounds.

Have to say, he did it classier than Kobe.
I didn't get a chance to watch the game What did he do that was classier?
Old 02-04-09, 10:17 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I didn't get a chance to watch the game What did he do that was classier?
He passed the ball.

Old 02-04-09, 10:23 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
He passed the ball.

Are you assuming that Kobe didn't? That's silly
Old 02-04-09, 10:26 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Are you assuming that Kobe didn't? That's silly
I'm just saying...

Kobe Bryant
61 points 3 assists 0 rebounds

LeBron James
52 points 11 assists 10 rebounds

Who had the better game?
Old 02-04-09, 10:30 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I'm just saying...

Kobe Bryant
61 points 3 assists 0 rebounds

LeBron James
52 points 11 assists 10 rebounds

Who had the better game?
I guess I just wouldn't use "classier" to describe the difference. But really, Kobe also had Pau that scored 31 in the game, so it isn't like Kobe didn't pass, and also did it in 36 minutes versus 44 for Lebron. I didn't get to see either game first hand so I don't know, they both looked pretty awesome. I need to watch the highlights of the Lebron game.
Old 02-04-09, 10:37 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I guess I just wouldn't use "classier" to describe the difference. But really, Kobe also had Pau that scored 31 in the game, so it isn't like Kobe didn't pass, and also did it in 36 minutes versus 44 for Lebron. I didn't get to see either game first hand so I don't know, they both looked pretty awesome. I need to watch the highlights of the Lebron game.
True, "classier" isn't the right word.
Old 02-04-09, 10:39 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
True, "classier" isn't the right word.
Lebron's definitely looks more well rounded!
Old 02-04-09, 10:47 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
jmanlakerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 600
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Lebron looked good but if you look at just scoring - Kobe was better in every aspect (FG%, FT's and three's.). You think Kobe couldn't have more assists if we was trying to?

You also have to remember that Kobe is a guard and not a Forward. Kobe lit a fire under Lebron's ass, even if he wouldn't admit it.
Old 02-04-09, 10:48 PM
  #25  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Lebron's definitely looks more well rounded!
Are you calling him fat?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.