Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wow, the WNBA still exists.

Old 07-18-18, 07:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Go Minnesota!

Iíve been enjoying the WNBA playoffs since 2011, especially the odd numbered years.
Old 07-18-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Go Minnesota!

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Iíve been enjoying the WNBA playoffs since 2011, especially the odd numbered years.
Not sure if this is a WNBA inside joke.
Old 07-18-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Not sure if this is a WNBA inside joke.
Since 2011 they have won the finals every odd year.
Old 07-18-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Wow, the WNBA still exists.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I'd never posted in this thread before and just noticed the recent bump. I've got tickets to an Indiana Fever game next week. First professional game of any kind for me (men or women) in person.

If you have not been to the Bankers Life Fieldhouse before it is a great experience, you will enjoy the game - the coaching however has changed.
Old 07-18-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Since 2011 they have won the finals every odd year.
So it's like a reverse Giants thing. I wondered if it was something like that but was too lazy to look it up.
Old 07-21-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I'd never posted in this thread before and just noticed the recent bump. I've got tickets to an Indiana Fever game next week. First professional game of any kind for me (men or women) in person.
You're a St Louis Cardinals fan and you've never seen a live baseball game?

and your 1st live sporting event ever is a WNBA game? Not criticizing you, but that's surprising. I know a few people from St. Louis and going to a Cards game is a must do there.

Back to the WNBA:
One of my colleagues from work Anne Marie Anderson is actually the voice of the Las Vegas Aces for their local TV telecasts. Great lady and terrific broadcaster. She's the one on the left. Does her homework and is always prepared. I've worked many NCAA women's games with her.

I semi watch a WNBA game here and there (LA Sparks)

Granted there are some really talented female players, but for the most part women's basketball is a tough watch. I've worked many women's NCAA basketball games for my job and it's filled with bad shooting and lots of turnovers.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-21-18 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Granted there are some really talented female players, but for the most part women's basketball is a tough watch. I've worked many women's NCAA basketball games for my job and it's filled with bad shooting and lots of turnovers.
I don't watch NCAA games (male or female) so I can't speak for that but "bad shooting and lots of turnovers" is definitely not the case with the WNBA. Teams in the WNBA average 11-16 turnovers a game which is exactly the same amount as NBA teams average. Shooting percentages for teams in the WNBA are between 40-47% and in the NBA 43-49%. Fairly similar.

Some other comparisons percentage wise between the 2 leagues (going off the most recent season stats):

WNBA 3 Point Percentage: 30-36%
NBA 3 Point Percentage: 33-38%

WNBA Free Throw Team Percentage: 74%-85%
NBA Free Throw Team Percentage: 71%-81%

WNBA Blocks Per Game: 2-5
NBA Blocks Per Game: 3-7
Old 07-21-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
If you have not been to the Bankers Life Fieldhouse before it is a great experience, you will enjoy the game - the coaching however has changed.
Yep, have driven past there a few times, but it will be my first visit.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
You're a St Louis Cardinals fan and you've never seen a live baseball game?

and your 1st live sporting event ever is a WNBA game? Not criticizing you, but that's surprising. I know a few people from St. Louis and going to a Cards game is a must do there.
Sorry, I should have worded it differently. I meant professional basketball game of any kind. Been to countless MLB games. And I've seen basketball games frequently at every level in person except the professional ranks. Though I do recall catching the Globetrotters once, but I'm not counting that.
Old 08-24-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These single elimination games have been highly entertaining even though the Lynx lost. Diana Taurasi went straight beast mode in that game versus the Sun and I love the shit talking in the post game interview.
Old 08-25-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Taurasi has long been a thorn in the Storm's side, but I love watching her play.

Her teammate DeWanna Bonner is a great player but oh so skinny (listed at 6'4", 143).
Old 09-05-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Storm! Great to see the ancient Sue Bird come through in the clincher.
Old 09-08-18, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I attended the first game of the finals tonight, and it was a gas. The Storm were really clicking, with crisp passes (21 assists on the first 28 buckets) and swarming defense. The Mystics like to play slow-down, but the pace immediately favored the Storm, leading 24-13, 48-31, and 77-52 after the first three quarters. It wasn't as close as the final score, 89-76, as the Storm emptied their bench with three and a half minutes to go, and I don't know if they scored at all. It was great that Jewell Loyd, who sat on the bench for the fourth quarter of the clinching game against Phoenix (reportedly the coach told her she was going to go back in but she told him to keep playing the hot hands), bounced back with 23 points.

Also, Sue Bird on The Players Tribune:

So I Broke My F*cking Nose by Sue Bird
Old 09-08-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That Sue Bird piece was great, thanks. Loved this near the end:

One of the funniest things that people keep talking about to me this week is how guys like Kobe and LeBron and D-Wade and KD have been showing me or showing the league love on Twitter. And when they bring it up, usually they mean well — but they’re always, like, halfway astonished. Or, like, they’re proud of me, for this major league accomplishment, of, I don’t know, “getting shouted out by a famous basketball player on Twitter.” And it’s just like…… bless your heart. I love you. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and thank you for being proud on my behalf.

But you’re so late.

Quick story. It’s 2004 — we’re at the Athens Olympics. And during the Olympics, you know, the women’s and men’s basketball teams, they spend a lot of time together. But I was really young at the time, in my early 20s, and I think at that point I still maybe had internalized this idea that A Lot of Men Hate Women’s Basketball. And what I didn’t realize yet was that that’s only partially true. The truth is, a lot of men who suck at basketball hate women’s basketball. But the guys who can actually play? 99 times out of 100, they respect us. And the guys who are world class — at, say, an Olympic level? If you’re at that level, I’ve found, everyone has one thing in common: They love basketball to their utter f*cking core. Men’s, women’s, whatever.

But like I said, I don’t quite think I knew that yet. So it’s one of the first days of the Olympics, one of the first days of the men’s and women’s teams hanging out together. And I end up getting into a conversation with one of the younger guys on the team, LeBron James. And we’re mostly just small talking, you know, talking about this and that, Athens, the village, the other countries’ outfits, who can even remember. But then, out of nowhere, right as the conversation was ending — he pivoted. He looked at me, and he said, “Hey, y’all are doing your thing this year. Keep it up.” And in my head, I’m thinking, you know — Nah. This is LEBRON. The guy is just being polite. He probably doesn’t even know what team I’m on.

And I think he could maybe read my mind. Because then he paused, and he turned toward me a little more, almost with a wink — and he smiled. And then he added, “Second in the West.”
Old 09-08-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for visiting the WNBA thread!

I’ve only read a handful of articles on the Players Tribune, but I’ve liked all of them.
Old 09-08-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Seattle any closer of getting an NBA team?

Don't hear much talk about NBA expansion.

I would like too see Montreal also get a team .
Old 09-10-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch NCAA games (male or female) so I can't speak for that but "bad shooting and lots of turnovers" is definitely not the case with the WNBA. Teams in the WNBA average 11-16 turnovers a game which is exactly the same amount as NBA teams average. Shooting percentages for teams in the WNBA are between 40-47% and in the NBA 43-49%. Fairly similar.

Some other comparisons percentage wise between the 2 leagues (going off the most recent season stats):

WNBA 3 Point Percentage: 30-36%
NBA 3 Point Percentage: 33-38%

WNBA Free Throw Team Percentage: 74%-85%
NBA Free Throw Team Percentage: 71%-81%

WNBA Blocks Per Game: 2-5
NBA Blocks Per Game: 3-7
Sorry to come in late to this thread, but I didn't know that the "Wow, the WNBA still exists" thread still existed.

Comparing shooting percentages between the NBA and WNBA is a risky proposition, since the WNBA uses a smaller/lighter basketball (circumference is 28.5" vs 29.5", weight is 20oz vs 22oz) but they shoot at the same rim/hoop as used everywhere else. For equally accurate shooters, those using the WNBA ball should have a higher scoring percentage, simply because there's a much more relaxed margin of error due to putting a smaller ball into the same basket.
Old 09-11-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to game 2-0 and saw the Storm win again!

After the game 1 blowout, the first quarter went pretty much the same way (25-16) but then the game turned, and the Mystics led 40-36 at the half. The Storm started the second half with a quick run, and it looked like they were going to pull away again, but the Mystics stayed tough, scoring in the half-court and forcing turnovers whenever the Storm tried to penetrate. Finally the Storm forged a lead in the fourth quarter, but their three-point leads kept getting answered by tough jumpers. The Storm led by one with 16 seconds left, then Breanna Stewart inexplicably missed two free throws. But they then forced a turnover in a baseline scrum and then hit the second of two FTs for the final 75-73 score. The Mystics shot 0-16 from three-point range.

There was one crazy fourth-quarter sequence in which Bird banked in a Hail Mary to beat the shot clock, points that proved crucial at the end.

Old 09-14-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Candace Parker has been out to a meetup beach volleyball group on Saturdays. Not sure if she just wants to learn how to play or using beach volleyball to help her all around skill set.
Old 05-16-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Las Vegas Aces just pulled off a major coup : They have traded two players (one of whom will miss the season with a knee injury) for MVP Runner up Liz Cambage. They will add her to a squad that includes 2018's #1 Draft pick and reigning Rookie of the Year Aja Wilson, All-Star Kayla McBride, 2017 #1 overall Draft pick Kelsey Plum and 2019's #1 overall Draft pick Jackie Young from Notre Dame. What a loaded team. I will have to go see them at the Mandalay Bay next month, I think.
Old 05-16-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Las Vegas Aces just pulled off a major coup : They have traded two players (one of whom will miss the season with a knee injury) for MVP Runner up Liz Cambage. They will add her to a squad that includes 2018's #1 Draft pick and reigning Rookie of the Year Aja Wilson, All-Star Kayla McBride, 2017 #1 overall Draft pick Kelsey Plum and 2019's #1 overall Draft pick Jackie Young from Notre Dame. What a loaded team. I will have to go see them at the Mandalay Bay next month, I think.
I admit that I consider myself a WNBA fan but wasnít aware that San Antonioís team had moved to Vegas. It was your mention of local favorite Kelsey Plum that caught my eye. She was a dynamic player in college so Iím still hopeful that sheíll be a good pro. But I admit I havenít really had time to follow the regular season over the last year or two other than the handful of games I attend.

Big bummer that reigning MVP Breanna Stewart will miss the season following an injury playing overseas.
Old 05-16-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wait, so they have the #1 overall pick from 2017, 2018, and 2019? How does that happen? And then trade for the MVP runner up and not have to trade any of those picks?
Old 05-17-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
wait, so they have the #1 overall pick from 2017, 2018, and 2019? How does that happen? And then trade for the MVP runner up and not have to trade any of those picks?
They were really bad in San Antonio and got the #1 pick both seasons, then moved to Las Vegas where Aja Wilson had an awesome year but they just missed the playoffs. They got lucky in the lottery and ended up with the #1 pick (though the presumptive #1 pick went back to school so the Aces took the best player available in the draft last month.
I'm not a WNBA expert but as I understand it Liz Cambage is the best offensive player in the league but was unhappy with the Dallas team. She wanted a trade only to LA. I have no idea why LA didn't make that happen, but whatever, she decided that Vegas would be acceptable and Dallas for whatever reason agreed to a deal for pennies on the dollar. Partly because she might leave the league after this season
https://deadspin.com/the-las-vegas-a...age-1834825242
Old 05-17-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
They also traded future 1st round picks to Dallas.
Old 05-17-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They were really bad in San Antonio and got the #1 pick both seasons, then moved to Las Vegas where Aja Wilson had an awesome year but they just missed the playoffs. They got lucky in the lottery and ended up with the #1 pick (though the presumptive #1 pick went back to school so the Aces took the best player available in the draft last month.
I'm not a WNBA expert but as I understand it Liz Cambage is the best offensive player in the league but was unhappy with the Dallas team. She wanted a trade only to LA. I have no idea why LA didn't make that happen, but whatever, she decided that Vegas would be acceptable and Dallas for whatever reason agreed to a deal for pennies on the dollar. Partly because she might leave the league after this season
https://deadspin.com/the-las-vegas-a...age-1834825242
The Aces were already a fun as hell young team and they are going to be championship contenders with Cambage added on. She broke the WNBA scoring record last year by scoring 53 points in a game.If you want an NBA equivalent she reminds me of Embiid. She's a monster in the post, can shoot 3's, and has tons of personality. It's too bad Breanna Stewart is out for the year because Seattle and Las Vegas would have made for good games this season.

And just a reminder for everyone the WNBA League Pass is only like $20 for the season. Hell of a deal for fantastic basketball.
Old 05-17-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And just a reminder for everyone the WNBA League Pass is only like $20 for the season. Hell of a deal for fantastic basketball.
Are there regional blackouts on their League Pass?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.