Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Which will get better ratings, World Series or Monday Night Football?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which Will get higher ratings on TV?
World Series will get higher ratings.
34.62%
Monday Night Football will get higher ratings.
61.54%
I'll be watching Lifetime.
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this will be bad for baseball. You have two teams that the casual fan doesn't know anything about, and you have Peyton Manning taking on the undefeated Titans.

The world series should get better ratings, also because it is on a network and MNF is on cable, But I still say football will win out.

You?
Old 10-27-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If MNF was still on ABC, I'd say MNF. However, since it's ESPN, I'll say the WS.

I do find it funny that the NFL/NBC still gets out of the way of the WS on the Sunday night. They really have no reason to fear the WS. Had there been a SNF game last night, it likely would have outperformed the WS.
Old 10-27-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I voted MNF before really thinking about it.

World Series, semi-big market team, possible clinching game on Fox vs. Somewhat big mid season NFL match up on cable? It's more of a toss up than I originally thought. Had this game been on ABC then MNF would run away with it.

I'll be watching the World Series. Mostly because this may be my last taste of important baseball until April. Also because I can't miss a possible clinching game.
Old 10-27-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still find it humorous that the Phillies (the 4th largest media market in the country) who claimed the last two league MVPs and most likely a third consecutive are a team "casual fan(s) doesn't know anything about." Does this mean casual fans only know about the Yankees and Red Sox?
Old 10-27-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I still find it humorous that the Phillies (the 4th largest media market in the country) who claimed the last two league MVPs and most likely a third consecutive are a team "casual fan(s) doesn't know anything about." Does this mean casual fans only know about the Yankees and Red Sox?
We also know about the Dodgers, since they got a guy from the Red Sox.

And the MVPs from the Phillies....no one beside a person from Phillie or a baseball fan really cares.

Personally, I blame it on the disparity of spending in baseball, and they are screwing themselves 9the league). But it's theirs to screw.
Old 10-27-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty much. And maybe the Cubs. Or at the very least, they'll watch the Cubs to see if they can break through.
Old 10-27-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
If MNF was still on ABC, I'd say MNF. However, since it's ESPN, I'll say the WS.
Yep, I agree with this. MNF used to beat the World Series back when Baseball was more popular and football was less popular. I have no doubt if it was still on ABC it would clean house. Heck, it might still beat it.
Old 10-27-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do find it funny that the NFL/NBC still gets out of the way of the WS on the Sunday night. They really have no reason to fear the WS. Had there been a SNF game last night, it likely would have outperformed the WS.
I have a feeling that the fact that there's no SNF game during the World Series has something to do with the NFL's relationship with FOX (the NFL putting it in the contract not to have a SNF game to protect FOX) instead of something decided by NBC.
Old 10-27-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
I have a feeling that the fact that there's no SNF game during the World Series has something to do with the NFL's relationship with FOX (the NFL putting it in the contract not to have a SNF game to protect FOX) instead of something decided by NBC.

Good point. Probably.
Old 10-27-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And Game 5 of the World Series will win this, easily. Last week MNF did a 7.2 rating, or 11.4 million viewers (which was second in cable ratings last week, btw, to Game 7 of the ALCS, which did a 7.5 rating). Game 4 last night did 15.6 million viewers. And MNF last week had a NY team in it.
Old 10-27-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

And Game 5 of the World Series will win this, easily. Last week MNF did a 7.2 rating, or 11.4 million viewers (which was second in cable ratings last week, btw, to Game 7 of the ALCS, which did a 7.5 rating). Game 4 last night did 15.6 million viewers. And MNF last week had a NY team in it.

Game 4 was coming off a NYG/PIT football lead-in which was a huge ratings matchup. I'll be shocked if Game 5 gets near 15.6, clincher or not.

Plus there is a lot more competition from the other networks Monday night.
Old 10-27-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

The ALSC game 7 had the Dodgers and Manny in it.

Game 3 of the world series had a 6.1 rating. Games 1-3 averaged 7.7.
Old 10-27-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

The first 2 games did a 9.2, so tonight should be somewhere in the neighborhood of that. (Last night was a 10.7.)
Old 10-27-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I still find it humorous that you keep on fighting that people want to see the Phillies.
Old 10-27-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
That sentence has set the record for being full of wrong.
Old 10-27-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
How much more wrong can that sentence be? The answer is none... none more wrong.
Old 10-27-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I still find it humorous that you keep on fighting that people want to see the Phillies.
Philly is the vortex of the universe, ya know.
Old 10-27-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Imagine if it had been Milwaukee vs Tampa Bay.
I think the ratings would be similar.

And up yours....you know what I meant.
Old 10-27-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because the Yankees or Red Sox in the WS would make this a completely different conversation. The NFL schedule is made long before the teams in the WS are determined.
Old 10-27-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
And the MVPs from the Phillies....no one beside a person from Phillie or a baseball fan really cares.
This sums up the ESPN era.

No one cares about MVPs or the homerun champions? Wow.
Old 10-27-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-27-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
Because the Yankees or Red Sox in the WS would make this a completely different conversation. The NFL schedule is made long before the teams in the WS are determined.
I don't think the Yanks or Sox have anything to do with it. An NFL SNF could still get a decent rating going up against the Yanks or Sox, assuming the football matchup was decent.

I think the NFL goes dark vs. the WS-Sunday for 2 reasons: what wildcat said - to protect FOX, a broadcast partner of the NFL, and two, out of some kind of unwritten deference to a fellow long-time major American sport (much like the NFL doesn't schedule against college or HS football).
Old 10-27-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Back when I was a kid, people actually followed the star players. Especially the homerun champions.
Old 10-27-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Philly is the vortex of the universe, ya know.
This weekend it was.
Old 10-27-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Back when I was a kid, people actually followed the star players. Especially the homerun champions.
Baseball doesn't have the status it did when you were a kid.

Do you follow the non-Philly stars?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.