DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Which will get better ratings, World Series or Monday Night Football? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/542459-will-get-better-ratings-world-series-monday-night-football.html)

kvrdave 10-27-08 10:56 AM

Which will get better ratings, World Series or Monday Night Football?

I think this will be bad for baseball. You have two teams that the casual fan doesn't know anything about, and you have Peyton Manning taking on the undefeated Titans.

The world series should get better ratings, also because it is on a network and MNF is on cable, But I still say football will win out.

You?

Red Dog 10-27-08 11:00 AM

If MNF was still on ABC, I'd say MNF. However, since it's ESPN, I'll say the WS.

I do find it funny that the NFL/NBC still gets out of the way of the WS on the Sunday night. They really have no reason to fear the WS. Had there been a SNF game last night, it likely would have outperformed the WS.

Goat3001 10-27-08 11:06 AM

I voted MNF before really thinking about it.

World Series, semi-big market team, possible clinching game on Fox vs. Somewhat big mid season NFL match up on cable? It's more of a toss up than I originally thought. Had this game been on ABC then MNF would run away with it.

I'll be watching the World Series. Mostly because this may be my last taste of important baseball until April. Also because I can't miss a possible clinching game.

CRM114 10-27-08 11:19 AM

I still find it humorous that the Phillies (the 4th largest media market in the country) who claimed the last two league MVPs and most likely a third consecutive are a team "casual fan(s) doesn't know anything about." Does this mean casual fans only know about the Yankees and Red Sox?

kvrdave 10-27-08 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 9031420)
I still find it humorous that the Phillies (the 4th largest media market in the country) who claimed the last two league MVPs and most likely a third consecutive are a team "casual fan(s) doesn't know anything about." Does this mean casual fans only know about the Yankees and Red Sox?

We also know about the Dodgers, since they got a guy from the Red Sox.

And the MVPs from the Phillies....no one beside a person from Phillie or a baseball fan really cares.

Personally, I blame it on the disparity of spending in baseball, and they are screwing themselves 9the league). But it's theirs to screw. :shrug:

Red Dog 10-27-08 11:24 AM

Pretty much. And maybe the Cubs. Or at the very least, they'll watch the Cubs to see if they can break through.

Shannon Nutt 10-27-08 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 9031371)
If MNF was still on ABC, I'd say MNF. However, since it's ESPN, I'll say the WS.

Yep, I agree with this. MNF used to beat the World Series back when Baseball was more popular and football was less popular. I have no doubt if it was still on ABC it would clean house. Heck, it might still beat it.

wildcatlh 10-27-08 12:21 PM

I do find it funny that the NFL/NBC still gets out of the way of the WS on the Sunday night. They really have no reason to fear the WS. Had there been a SNF game last night, it likely would have outperformed the WS.

I have a feeling that the fact that there's no SNF game during the World Series has something to do with the NFL's relationship with FOX (the NFL putting it in the contract not to have a SNF game to protect FOX) instead of something decided by NBC.

kvrdave 10-27-08 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 9031582)
I have a feeling that the fact that there's no SNF game during the World Series has something to do with the NFL's relationship with FOX (the NFL putting it in the contract not to have a SNF game to protect FOX) instead of something decided by NBC.

Good point. Probably.

wildcatlh 10-27-08 12:31 PM

And Game 5 of the World Series will win this, easily. Last week MNF did a 7.2 rating, or 11.4 million viewers (which was second in cable ratings last week, btw, to Game 7 of the ALCS, which did a 7.5 rating). Game 4 last night did 15.6 million viewers. And MNF last week had a NY team in it.

Red Dog 10-27-08 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 9031610)
And Game 5 of the World Series will win this, easily. Last week MNF did a 7.2 rating, or 11.4 million viewers (which was second in cable ratings last week, btw, to Game 7 of the ALCS, which did a 7.5 rating). Game 4 last night did 15.6 million viewers. And MNF last week had a NY team in it.

Game 4 was coming off a NYG/PIT football lead-in which was a huge ratings matchup. I'll be shocked if Game 5 gets near 15.6, clincher or not.

Plus there is a lot more competition from the other networks Monday night.

kvrdave 10-27-08 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh (Post 9031610)

The ALSC game 7 had the Dodgers and Manny in it.

Game 3 of the world series had a 6.1 rating. Games 1-3 averaged 7.7.

Red Dog 10-27-08 12:54 PM

The first 2 games did a 9.2, so tonight should be somewhere in the neighborhood of that. (Last night was a 10.7.)

fumanstan 10-27-08 12:55 PM

I still find it humorous that you keep on fighting that people want to see the Phillies.

starman9000 10-27-08 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9031654)
That sentence has set the record for being full of wrong.

rotfl

Goat3001 10-27-08 12:58 PM

How much more wrong can that sentence be? The answer is none... none more wrong. :lol:

Red Dog 10-27-08 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9031697)
I still find it humorous that you keep on fighting that people want to see the Phillies.

Philly is the vortex of the universe, ya know. ;)

kvrdave 10-27-08 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9031753)
Imagine if it had been Milwaukee vs Tampa Bay. :lol:

I think the ratings would be similar. :lol:

And up yours....you know what I meant. :grunt:

Qui Gon Jim 10-27-08 01:53 PM

Because the Yankees or Red Sox in the WS would make this a completely different conversation. The NFL schedule is made long before the teams in the WS are determined.

CRM114 10-27-08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 9031429)
And the MVPs from the Phillies....no one beside a person from Phillie or a baseball fan really cares.

This sums up the ESPN era.

No one cares about MVPs or the homerun champions? Wow.

CRM114 10-27-08 02:09 PM

:lol:

Red Dog 10-27-08 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 9031851)
Because the Yankees or Red Sox in the WS would make this a completely different conversation. The NFL schedule is made long before the teams in the WS are determined.

I don't think the Yanks or Sox have anything to do with it. An NFL SNF could still get a decent rating going up against the Yanks or Sox, assuming the football matchup was decent.

I think the NFL goes dark vs. the WS-Sunday for 2 reasons: what wildcat said - to protect FOX, a broadcast partner of the NFL, and two, out of some kind of unwritten deference to a fellow long-time major American sport (much like the NFL doesn't schedule against college or HS football).

CRM114 10-27-08 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9031697)

Back when I was a kid, people actually followed the star players. Especially the homerun champions.

CRM114 10-27-08 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 9031725)
Philly is the vortex of the universe, ya know. ;)

This weekend it was. :)

Red Dog 10-27-08 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 9031892)
Back when I was a kid, people actually followed the star players. Especially the homerun champions.

Baseball doesn't have the status it did when you were a kid.

Do you follow the non-Philly stars?