Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Which will get better ratings, World Series or Monday Night Football?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which Will get higher ratings on TV?
World Series will get higher ratings.
34.62%
Monday Night Football will get higher ratings.
61.54%
I'll be watching Lifetime.
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Which will get better ratings, World Series or Monday Night Football?

Old 10-27-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Yeah, I know, but I also know that the overall number of homeruns hit were the lowest in something like 8 years. You only had 2 guys in the majors hit 40 or more.

Maybe I'm bitter because I'm a Mariners fan. It was nice to see Moyer pitch.

So probably I see my frustration with baseball and put it on the sport as a whole and assume there are many that feel the same as I do. I don't expect that a team could keep Griffey, A Rod, and Randy Johnson (except the Yankees), but the vast majority of teams in the MLB are now just farm teams for about 4-5 teams...Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Angels. I still remember that after the Marlins won the WS, the owner traded off the majority of the team. Certainly you could see things like that in any sport, but you won't see 1 player in the NFL making as much as the entire offense of another team. I think the lack of parity in the MLB (in terms of money they are able to spend, not on wins, ie Yankees this year) makes it a league that only baseball purists will enjoy, and most people are casual fans.
Heh, it's funny since the Mariner's are just behind the Dodgers in overall salary this year.

Thank you Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson!
Old 10-27-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I am talking parity, I mean the amount of revenue distribution and how much each team has to spend on players. It allows most teams to have and afford a super star, which brings in interest and viewers. That type of parity doesn't exist at all in baseball. I believe it makes for a healthier league.
To a point I can agree but also a new champion also brings in interest which equals unknowns to become well known. Yes, there are arguments to be made regarding a cap however I would bet that many "NFL" fans only know about 2% of the players.
Old 10-27-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I would bet that many "NFL" fans only know about 2% of the players.
I would take that bet in a heartbeat. How many NFL fans play fantasy football? If anything, the NFL fans know the players now more than ever, even with more teams/players.
Old 10-27-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
To a point I can agree but also a new champion also brings in interest which equals unknowns to become well known. Yes, there are arguments to be made regarding a cap however I would bet that many "NFL" fans only know about 2% of the players.
I don't think that affect is greater than knowing that if you are the majority of teams in the league, and you have a rising star, you won't see him in a year or two because he will be on the Yankees or Red Sox. And if you aren't having a great year, you won't even see him the last part of the season.
Old 10-27-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone know if it's supposed to rain tonight a la Sat. night? I live in northern VA and it's been raining all day (usually means Philly should get rain tonight). Hopefully, baseball will be postponed to a night without NFL.
Old 10-27-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't think the Yanks or Sox have anything to do with it. An NFL SNF could still get a decent rating going up against the Yanks or Sox, assuming the football matchup was decent.
I think I agree here. My point was more along the lines of IF one of those teams were involved then there would be more of a discussion. For better or worse, those two teams draw attention.

I think the NFL goes dark vs. the WS-Sunday for 2 reasons: what wildcat said - to protect FOX, a broadcast partner of the NFL, and two, out of some kind of unwritten deference to a fellow long-time major American sport (much like the NFL doesn't schedule against college or HS football).
You are probably right here. I think it hearkens back to the days when Baseball was America's passtime, not the NFL.
Old 10-27-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Then why do people care less about basketball than they do about baseball?

I think the main thing about people watching and following the sport is what people rarely mention... the game itself. I think the majority of sports fans out there are just plain bored by baseball. Let's be honest here, if you don't know whats going on and all you're doing is waiting for home runs and big innings then you're probably not going to enjoy the sport all that much.

That's probably big reason why there are only a few casual baseball fans that are willing to watch every team and every game. If it's not their team, they won't bother watching.
Plus, with the NFL, one only needs to "devote" a few hours a week to keep up, and the games are just one a week. I don't want to think about how many hours of baseball I watch each year.....
Old 10-27-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
I think I agree here. My point was more along the lines of IF one of those teams were involved then there would be more of a discussion. For better or worse, those two teams draw attention.
The WS here is a pretty decent representation, where there wasn't any chatter for probably at least 1/2, if not more, of some of the games. Even when they've actually been really solid games.
Old 10-27-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Coitus interuptus.
Old 10-28-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you work for MLB or a major television network, there is no reason to care about television ratings for playoffs. It isn't like they're not going to show the World Series on television in the future if it gets low ratings this year. People who go on and on about poor ratings are usually just bitter that their team is out or they feel that somehow their team is entitled to be in the World Series.
Old 10-28-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Look at how much baseball is on today compared to when we only had 20% of the channels we do today. It isn't on nearly as much. And the reason it does matter is because FOX won't continue to pay big bucks if the viewership doesn't justify it. Demographics also plays a big part.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the WS on cable within 10 years.

And I doubt many are bitter that their team didn't get in. I would bet that most don't care about the teams that did. And I think that is a direct result of the lack of parity in spending. I would prefer to have a healthy league because if would make more than just my home team interesting.
Old 10-28-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Unless you work for MLB or a major television network, there is no reason to care about television ratings for playoffs. It isn't like they're not going to show the World Series on television in the future if it gets low ratings this year. People who go on and on about poor ratings are usually just bitter that their team is out or they feel that somehow their team is entitled to be in the World Series.
Or in the case of Phillies fans, bitter about no one watching their team

But really, I think that's silly to assume people complaining are mad about their team. I'd say its more those that think it sucks that more people aren't watching and supporting the game.
Old 10-28-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
But really, I think that's silly to assume people complaining are mad about their team. I'd say its more those that think it sucks that more people aren't watching and supporting the game.
I didn't say all people are like that, but there are many. The percentage here will obviously be lower than, say, the ESPN boards or some other sewer like that.
Old 10-28-08, 02:13 AM

Yeah but even the S.A./Cleveland matchup the year before got a 9.3, so it isn't as big a difference as you may think.
Actually, for the record, the SA/ Cleveland matchup of 2007 got a 6.2 rating which was a record low.

Even this years much hyped Lakers/Celtics matchup only drew a 9.3 rating. By comparison, the lowest rated World Series ever was 2006. That got a 10.1 This year's is averaging an 8.0 thru four games. If it somehow goes 6 or 7 games, it should come close to the Lakers/Celtics series even though this World Series is "glamour free" and the NBA finals was the most hyped finals since the Jordan Era.
Old 10-28-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jkberden View Post
Actually, for the record, the SA/ Cleveland matchup of 2007 got a 6.2 rating which was a record low.

Even this years much hyped Lakers/Celtics matchup only drew a 9.3 rating. By comparison, the lowest rated World Series ever was 2006. That got a 10.1 This year's is averaging an 8.0 thru four games. If it somehow goes 6 or 7 games, it should come close to the Lakers/Celtics series even though this World Series is "glamour free" and the NBA finals was the most hyped finals since the Jordan Era.

I see 9.29 in this table.
Old 10-28-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Look at how much baseball is on today compared to when we only had 20% of the channels we do today. It isn't on nearly as much. And the reason it does matter is because FOX won't continue to pay big bucks if the viewership doesn't justify it. Demographics also plays a big part.
Maybe if you live out of market but every single Phils game is televised here and then you have all the games on ESPN etc. There are way more games televised now.
Old 10-28-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - there are far more games televised nationally and regionally now. Prior to cable, you got 1 game a week on NBC Saturday, 1 game a week on ABC MNB, and then maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of your local/regional team's games syndicated. Nowadays, you get 1 game a week on FOX, 1 on TBS, 4-5 on ESPN, Cubs and CWS games on WGN, and every game of you local/regional team (and in some places, you get that x2).

Back in the 70s and early 80s, having a nationally televised baseball game on NBC or ABC was an event.
Old 10-28-08, 12:12 PM

I see 9.29 in this table.
I saw that same table. That table refers to the millions of viewers, not the national rating. Heres that table..http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/04/20...1987-2007/3413

This page has the national ratings...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ielsen_ratings