Reload this Page >

The Official 2008-2009 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-06-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Just getting this thread started now as the first pre-season game kicks off tomorrow and my coworker just gave me tickets for it at the Honda Center against Utah.

I'm sure Kobe and Gasol won't play, as Phil mentioned they'd probably sit a lot of pre-season games due to all the extra work from the olympics, so it should be a fun couple hours watching D-League and IR guys run around. Hope to see Bynum and Sun Yue play a little though.

High expectations this year - pretty much championship or bust with Bynum back.

Lingering questions -

-Kobe's pinky
-Odom playing at SF, and i'm sure plenty of talk about mid-season trades with him
-Bynum coming back and how he fits in with Gasol
-Lakers bench, and if Sasha plays like he did last year now that he has a new contract, as well as Ariza and Farmar developing.

Bynum looks huge!

Old 10-06-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 99 Likes on 68 Posts
I have my doubts about Kobe's pinky. I hope he made the right choice.
Old 10-06-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From Lakers.com blog -

“Right now (Bynum and Gasol) are very clumsy and aren’t working well together . We have a group that played together very well last year, and there are some things that we need to discuss to see how long we drag this out and how quickly we facilitate this.”

Jackson did qualify his comment by stating that once everyone figures out where they fit in, the team has the ability to play “exceptionally well.” Jackson also reported that both Bryant and Gasol will play against Utah in Anaheim on Tuesday at 7 p.m., contrary to some speculation wondering if the Olympic stars would be rested. Jackson expects Bryant to play for about half the game, while Gasol could see even less time as the head coach wants PT for Bynum, Chris Mihm and D.J. Mbenga.
Cool, glad i'll get to watch Kobe a bit tomorrow night
Old 10-06-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell Yeah! Lakers are on the air again. Have fun to you who is going tommorow. I ordered my white Kobe jersey the other day.
Old 10-06-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good luck Lakers fans!
Old 10-07-08, 12:37 AM
Banned

The Lakers will make a run at 72-10.
Old 10-07-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
Good luck Lakers fans!

see you in the finals.
Old 10-07-08, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Received 191 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
for a couple of weeks...
Old 10-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to renewing the rivalry this year with you clowns.
Old 10-07-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 276 Likes on 198 Posts
I'm glad they still have Mbenga tho they need to get rid of Mihm. There's still a need for another SG/SF that has outside range.
Old 10-07-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woman charged with stalking Lakers’ Luke Walton

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (AP)—A woman has been charged with stalking Los Angeles Lakers forward Luke Walton.

Stacy Elizabeth Beshear of El Segundo was arrested Sept. 18 after she pulled up to his car and pretended to fire gunshots at him with her hand, police Sgt. Steve Tobias said.

The 34-year-old Beshear has pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor count of stalking. A Nov. 6 trial date has been set in the case. She faces up to a year in county jail if convicted, district attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison said Tuesday.

A phone number for Beshear was not in service.

Walton said Beshear has been harassing him since late last year. He told the Orange County Register she waited outside his Manhattan Beach home numerous times and wrote on his car with a marker after he refused to sign an autograph.

“When she pulled up to my house and started yelling at me after she fired a fake gun at me, I couldn’t help but to start yelling back at her,” Walton said. “She was in my driveway. But when we were interacting, I could tell by the stuff she was saying that she’s not all there in the head—which makes me feel bad for her.

“At the same time, most people who go on killing sprees are people who aren’t all there in the head.”
-----------------------------------------
I think it had more to do with his piss poor play last year and that she was an irate Laker fan.

Old 10-07-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
WTF? I thought you were a Celtics fan after the finals last year?

So, are we going 82-0 this year, Arpeggi? Want to put some money on it?
Old 10-07-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Back from the game tonight. Kobe didn't really do a whole lot despite playing half the game, and neither did Gasol or Odom. Bynum looked pretty good back out on the court, at least early on. Pressed a little and forced up some bad shots down low, but he looked limber and had some smooth jumpers from maybe 6-8 feet out. Gasol and Bynum didn't play together at all, which was disappointing. I really wanted to see them together.

None of the new guys really stood out to me either, although Josh Powell did a few things and looks like a solid guy off the bench. Overall, just nice to have basketball back. Honda Center looked about half full but plenty of cheers and some MVP chants for Kobe at the line.
Old 10-15-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The NBA is popular throughout the world, and Arenas has a large following because of his spectacular play, his blog and his knack for self-promotion. But the Wizards are not particularly well known overseas as a franchise -- or at least that appeared to be the case Sunday.

After players filed on to buses to take them back to the hotel following Sunday's practice, an English-speaking Berliner who happened to be walking by tried to figure out what she was seeing.

"Who are the Wizards?" she asked.

When told that the team is from the United States and plays basketball in the NBA, the woman smiled.

"Oh, like the Lakers," she said.
Also, Sasha's ankle apparently has a fracture
Old 10-15-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shouldn't this be closed? We have an official NBA thread.
Old 10-15-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
Shouldn't this be closed? We have an official NBA thread.
There's been a separate Lakers thread for years since there's enough fans (and haters) to discuss them outside of the NBA thread, n00b! Plus, it lets all our crazy banter and fights take part away from the official thread.
Old 10-15-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't let the apparent n00b post fool you...I'm actually a Laker hater trying to sabotage the thread. It didn't work though.
Old 10-15-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
Don't let the apparent n00b post fool you...I'm actually a Laker hater trying to sabotage the thread. It didn't work though.

Old 10-20-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/200...amar-odom.html

This is pretty funny. It's a cool blog too.
Old 10-21-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised how well Mihm seems to be doing with the second team after watching the game live vs the Raptors on Sunday. They should move him now tho. And IMO, Sun Yue was a wasted pick.
Old 10-21-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3656500

Ack, Kobe hyperextended his knee. Hope its not serious
Old 10-22-08, 06:29 PM

It doesn't look to be!

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3656500

Ack, Kobe hyperextended his knee. Hope its not serious
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081022/...yant_injured_3

Kobe Bryant's injury not serious

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer John Nadel, Ap Sports Writer 52 mins ago

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. Lakers fans can rest easy. Kobe Bryant's right knee was a bit sore Wednesday, but the injury isn't serious and it's possible he won't miss any playing time.

"I'm all right, a little bit better today, a better mood, anyway," Bryant said after sitting out practice due to the hyperextended right knee he suffered Tuesday night in the second quarter of the Lakers' 102-98 preseason victory over the Charlotte Bobcats in San Diego.

Wearing an ice bag on his knee, Bryant said he felt a lot better about his injury Wednesday morning.

"There was no swelling," he said. "At that point, I knew I was OK. Some injuries can go either way. You've got to get lucky. I didn't sleep much, to be honest with you. Just moving it around, seeing if it was all right. These type of injuries kind of sneak up on you."

Bryant, the reigning NBA MVP, was injured under the Lakers' basket when he banged knees with teammate Josh Powell while going for a rebound. He immediately signaled to the bench that he was hurt, and a timeout was called. Bryant then sat at the end of the bench before walking to the locker room, and didn't return for the second half.

"I saw the ring flash before my eyes," Bryant said. "I was pretty worried. That's the scariest part, sitting there for five or 10 minutes, seeing what's going to develop."

Powell said he didn't feel anything.

"I didn't see him until I turned around. I turned around, saw him jumping up and down. I thought he rolled his ankle," Powell said.

"It was all his fault," Bryant said with a smile. "We just happened to run into each other."

The 30-year-old Bryant, examined Wednesday by trainer Gary Vitti, won't see a doctor or have an MRI. He said he hopes to play Thursday night when the Lakers face the Bobcats again, this time in Anaheim.

"If I can go, I can go," Bryant said. "It's all good."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he wouldn't talk Bryant out of not playing.

"We always like players to go out and play," the coach said. "That's what they do. It gives us a chance to go out and function on the floor."

While Jackson said he wasn't too concerned, he added: "Seeing this injury over the course of my career, it's an injury you can't minimize at all. It could have some lingering effects. We'll see how it is tomorrow. We kind of go day-to-day in this business."

Notes:@ The Lakers requested waivers on Joe Crawford and forward CJ Giles, reducing their roster to the opening-day maximum of 15. Crawford, the 58th overall pick in the NBA draft last June after playing four seasons at Kentucky, averaged 2.8 points in six preseason games. Giles, a free agent who played for Oregon State last season, averaged 2.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in four preseason games.
Chris
Old 10-22-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 99 Likes on 68 Posts
Not serious now, wait til he misses time later with a relapse.

Oh and I am torn between wanting to put Arpeggi on ignore, or leave him off the list so I can continue to laugh at his posts.

Lakers 82-0!
Old 10-23-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts
If only Bynum would have been healthy for the NBA Finals last year, LA would have added a another World Championship banner to the Staples Center. If they Lakers could get anything of value for Odom, I would pull the trigger on that trade.

GO LAKERS!
Old 10-23-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GM poll: Lakers will beat Celtics in NBA finals

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—The Los Angeles Lakers will avenge their NBA finals loss to the Boston Celtics, according to a survey of the league’s general managers.

The executives who responded to the NBA.com GM survey also picked Cleveland’s LeBron James for the third straight year as the likely MVP. The results of the seventh annual poll were released Wednesday.

The Lakers received 46 percent of the vote, well ahead of the Celtics (19 percent). Boston beat Los Angeles in six games in June for its 17th championship.

New Orleans Hornets got 12 percent of the vote and San Antonio 8 percent. It was the first time in five years the GMs didn’t tab the Spurs as their preseason pick to win the title.

James, who has never won the MVP award, collected 56 percent of the voting in that category. Kobe Bryant, a first-time MVP last season, drew 37 percent and Chris Paul the other 7 percent.

Also, Miami’s Michael Beasley beat out Greg Oden in the Rookie of the Year voting. Beasley, the No. 2 pick, got 48 percent of the vote, while Oden, getting ready for his NBA debut after sitting out the 2007-08 season following knee surgery, was the pick of 30 percent.

Fifty-two percent of the GMs chose Philadelphia as the team that made the best offseason moves, and 67 percent said Elton Brand’s move to the 76ers will be the player acquisition with the biggest impact.

Full results are posted on NBA.com.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.