Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Off Season Thread 2008

Old 06-06-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NHL Off Season Thread 2008

Here we are waiting for October to roll around for the beginning of the 2008-2009 season. Unfortunately, it seems Hockey Night in Canada won't be back (the theme, that is).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080606/od_nm/hockey_dc_4

And I was justing getting to know it.
Old 06-06-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like the new co-owner of the Predators, William “Boots” Del Biaggio III, is being sued for fraud in connection with the purchase. Could this result in jail time?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 06-06-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not much of a surprise to most, but Shop.NHLcom has apparently let slip that Ovechkin has won the Hart by selling these shirts early. Do people actually wear shirts celebrating trophy wins?

The NHL response was that it was a glitch showing only one of three shirts they have in stock in case any finalist wins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl,86636

Last edited by SunMonkey; 06-06-08 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the undisputed king of hockey music

Old 06-06-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
This is the undisputed king of hockey music
Sorry, it doesn't even come close. Hockey Night in Canada (which has a huge history of radio broadcasts starting in 1931 and television since 1952) has used "The Hockey Theme" since 1968. It can almost be considered Canada's second national anthem and is an intergral part of the sport.

SunMonkey showed the extended version. This is closer to the original theme:

Last edited by Coral; 06-06-08 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It wouldnt be Saturday night without the HNiC theme.
Old 06-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they are stupid enough not to renew, I hope that TSN takes it from them.
Old 06-08-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hasek is retiring again. I doubt there will be a comeback this time.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240146
Old 06-09-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
If they are stupid enough not to renew, I hope that TSN takes it from them.
It looks like they are definitely not renewing. CBC is setting up a $100K contest for fan submitted themes with royalties going to minor league hockey.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...themesong.html

Last edited by SunMonkey; 06-09-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And TSN/CTV buys the song!

Cancel those CBC talks

The theme song to Hockey Night in Canada will now reside on TSN. (Handout)

TORONTO - The saga of CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song took a surprising turn Monday as rival network CTV announced it has acquired the rights to the iconic tune.

CTV said it will use the song on NHL broadcasts on TSN, RDS and during the broadcaster's coverage of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

"The song has a long and storied history in Canadian sports and has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of hockey fans across the country," said Rick Brace, CTV president of revenue, business planning and sports.

"It is an iconic tune, embraced by Canadians everywhere, and we felt it was imperative to save it. We know it will be in hockey forever, so there's no doubt this acquisition will create value for us."

The theme was composed by Dolores Claman in 1968. CBC's licence to use the song expired at the end of the Stanley Cup final last week.

"I am very moved by how so many Canadians have taken the hockey theme to heart," Claman said in a release. "Throughout our negotiations, CTV displayed a tremendous amount of respect for my family and the song."

Earlier Monday, CBC had announced it asked Toronto sports lawyer Gord Kirke to mediate negotiations between the public broadcaster and Copyright Music and Visuals, the company that controls the song's rights.

CTV said it made an agreement in principle Friday with Copyright Music and Visuals after CBC announced a $100,000 contest to find a new theme song.

The contest announcement followed months of negotiations that failed to result in a new licensing agreement between CBC and the agent.
Old 06-10-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CANUCKS' LINDEN TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT WEDNESDAY

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240290

----------------------

I was hoping he'd come back for another season, but I don't think he was wanted by the management. He was such a hard-working team player. I hope I can get tickets for the jersey retirement.
Old 06-11-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by solipsta
CANUCKS' LINDEN TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT WEDNESDAY

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240290

----------------------

I was hoping he'd come back for another season, but I don't think he was wanted by the management. He was such a hard-working team player. I hope I can get tickets for the jersey retirement.
to Trevor. He has been a favorite of mine since the Sega Genesis NHL 94 and 95 days (Vancouver ruled in that game!). Got a chance to briefly meet him this year as he came over to sign autographs after a game. Best of luck to a class act!
Old 06-11-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharks to hire Detroit assistant Todd McLellan - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Not sure about this, but at least it's not another old washed up coach with nothing to prove. This guy should be hungry to show he can be the head man.

Any guesses as to who San Jose might try to move this summer? I heard a rumor a while back that they were talking with Columbus about a deal for Zherdev.
Old 06-11-08, 09:22 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I wanted McLellan in Colorado, instead we got Tony Fucking Granato again.
Old 06-12-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the McLellan move a good one? I don't really have any prior knowledge about him

Hopefully he can get the Sharks to focus consistently.
Old 06-13-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ovechkin is a great player and all, but this really seems a bit much.

"OVECHKIN GIVEN KEY TO THE CITY IN WASHINGTON D.C."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240617
Old 06-14-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Ovechkin is a great player and all, but this really seems a bit much.

"OVECHKIN GIVEN KEY TO THE CITY IN WASHINGTON D.C."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240617
The Commie's plan is working!
Old 06-14-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, the ESPN hockey theme was great and that clip also reminds me of missing Bill Clement, a terrific analyst and quite versitle as a broadcaster (see his work during NBC Summer Olympic coverage).
Old 06-15-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Sorry, it doesn't even come close. Hockey Night in Canada (which has a huge history of radio broadcasts starting in 1931 and television since 1952) has used "The Hockey Theme" since 1968. It can almost be considered Canada's second national anthem and is an intergral part of the sport.

SunMonkey showed the extended version. This is closer to the original theme:

The Hockey Song might have been around longer, but the ESPN song is a better song. Just because it's first doesn't mean it's best.

In other news, Pens are taking a run at Hossa with a reported 7 year $50 million dollar deal on the table. That would mean Malone is gone for sure if he signs. It also may put Staal or Malkin's future in doubt with the Pens. It will be interesting to see what Shero can get them all to agree to. Hossa at $7mil/year is a pretty good deal, and about a $1 million dollar discount if projected salary offers from other teams are right.
Old 06-15-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hockey Song might have been around longer, but the ESPN song is a better song. Just because it's first doesn't mean it's best.
Sorry... it doesn't sound much different than the other sports music (ie. some of the NFL ones). It's like it's following a template. The CBC song is catchy, original and has a deep history and tradition. It IS hockey.

Does ESPN even televise hockey anymore?
Old 06-15-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope ESPN is out of hockey, so the song isn't heard anymore. If we're going to start criticizing the songs, The Hockey Theme sounds like it belongs in a cheesy 80s movie montage with a couple guys jumping high in the air pumping their fists at the end.

I guess it is all what you get used to. To me, the ESPN theme gets me excited to see hockey.
Old 06-15-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, this is my favorite hockey theme.

I wish I could find the full length version of it.
Old 06-17-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2008:

Player:
Igor Larionov
Glenn Anderson

Referee/Linesman:
Ray Scapinello

Builder:
Ed Chynoweth

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 06-17-08, 06:10 PM

In other news, Pens are taking a run at Hossa with a reported 7 year $50 million dollar deal on the table. That would mean Malone is gone for sure if he signs. It also may put Staal or Malkin's future in doubt with the Pens. It will be interesting to see what Shero can get them all to agree to. Hossa at $7mil/year is a pretty good deal, and about a $1 million dollar discount if projected salary offers from other teams are right.
I just read this last night. I don't know what their long-term plans are, but I can't see any good coming of losing out on Malkin and/or Stall in the future. Hossa's almost a point/game guy for his career and he did indeed have a great playoff run, but historically, he's fizzled in the playoffs. (Being with the right players can do that, so maybe he'd be stellar again in the playoffs.) I just hope the Pens aren't mortgaging their future for a strong run in the next year or two (if they lose Malone this year and Malkin and/or Staal after a year or two).
Old 06-17-08, 06:35 PM

I'm very glad to see Larionov getting into the HHOF. He's a class act. I remember getting autographs from him as a kid. He'd wait around until everyone got one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.